Patience

Challenge

            Yongguk was sitting on a chair next to the bed in the colorful room. He just finished reading out the adventures of Pororo to his three and half son. And as every night, it was silent.

            “Goodnight Yongwoo. I love you.” He said putting the back down and bending over to kiss his son’s cheek.

            As usual, Yongwoo stood on his knees and threw his arms around his father’s neck and kissed his cheek as well. He then got under the covers and closed his eyes.
Once his son was comfortably settled in his bed, Yongguk stood up with a sigh. Before closing the door he made sure that the night light by the door was on. He then made his way down the corridor that led to his own bedroom. He made a stop to the bathroom to discard his clothes and brush his teeth.
            He knew his wife was probably already sleeping so he got inside the room carefully. She had explained to him that she was exhausted and he had told her to go straight to bed after dinner and he would take care of everything. And indeed when he got inside all the lights were off. Yongguk got under covers and closed his eyes ready for sleep to conquer him. But unfortunately his brain thought otherwise. His mind was clouded with dark thoughts, making him unable to fall asleep. He tossed and turned in bed for god knows how long before he felt a gentle hand against his right shoulder blade.

            “Are you alright?” his wife whispered but was greeted by silence.

            It’s not that he didn’t want to answer, it’s just that the big lump in his throat and stomach was preventing him from doing so. He felt the bed dipping next to him and then the light on the opposite side of the bed, lit up.

            “Yongguk…please talk to me.” She pleaded, worry showing in her voice.

            “Can you switch off the light first please?”

            He waited for the distinct click of the light, before turning around to face his wife. She was lying on her side and despite it being dark inside the room, he could see her eyes scanning his face. She had this tendency of analyzing every corner of his features to find what was wrong. He looked away, trying hard to compose himself, but he could still feel her gaze on him. And as he expected, she didn’t say anything. She was quietly waiting for him to be ready to share whatever was bothering him. That is something he loves about her. She knows when to push him or on the contrary, when to let him come to her. She did just that. She was waiting.
            After long minutes of silence, Yongguk finally gathered himself to look up at the woman before him.

            “Do you think I’m doing something wrong?” He asked in a tiny voice that didn’t match one bit with his usual one.

            “About what?” She asked gently.

            “With Yongwoo.” His wife let out a small sigh before speaking up again.

            “Not this again Yongguk.”

         “He is three and a half already and he doesn’t talk. There must be something that I am doing wrong for that to happen.” Yongguk said as his wife sighed once again. They have been over this matter a hundred of times it seems.
            Their son was absolutely normal. During his short life, he didn’t show any sign of any type of developmental troubles. He started to walk at the normal age, he was a bright and happy child. Always smiling and going around to explore the world as any child would. He only thing “wrong” with him was that he didn’t speak. Yongwoo would play with other children and naturally go to others, showing that he didn’t have trouble socializing, but he wouldn’t talk. And that worried Yongguk.

            “Honey, you started talking when you were five. Yongwoo is your son, I guess that it isn’t that surprising then.” She tried to reason him.

            “It’s my fault…” Yongguk said as he looked down not wanting to face his wife. She shook her head and reached out to lift his face so he would face her.

            “Yongguk, he loves you. He loves you more than anything, he is clearly a daddy’s boy so don’t think for one second that Yongwoo isn’t talking because you are doing something wrong. He simply needs time. Like you did. He will talk to us when he feels ready.” She said looking straight into his eyes, while caressing his cheek, to show him how serious and sincere she was.
            She had been concerned yes when Yongwoo didn’t talk around the proper age. They had taken him to see a doctor to see if everything was alright with their son and the conclusion was that there was nothing wrong with their child. The doctor told them that stuff liked that happened sometimes. That some children need more time to feel comfortable enough to talk. Yongguk had explained to him that he only started talking when he was five years old, and that it was only at that age that he felt it was alright to speak. At that the doctor said that Yongwoo was most likely acting the same way. He had told the couple not to worry about their son, that everything was normal and to just give some time to the little boy.
            Since then Yongguk’s wife hasn’t been too worried about her son’s behavior but she did see that it was affecting her husband. They ended having this conversation over and over again. And each time she did her best to reassure him that he wasn’t causing their son’s silence.

            “We have to give him time.” She concluded. And they stayed silent for a little while. Then she reached out to hug him close to her. His arms wrapped around her waist and he buried his face in the crook of her neck.

            “Thank you.” He whispered as she was caressing his hair and rubbing soothing circles on his back putting him finally to sleep.

***