Our Song

Lullaby

  He climbs into bed after a long day.

  Finally.

  Just finally.

  He breathes out a sigh of relief as a pair of arms encircled his waist, spooning him from behind.

  "Tired?" She asked, nuzzling into his neck.

  "Exhausted." He murmured back.

  He could feel her breath tickling his neck, a sign that she was drowsy. He closes his eyes, and allows the threads of time to entangle him in his memories...

@_@

 

  Memory 1:

  "Yes, I'm Kim Heechul from Super Junior. What is it that you wanted?"

  She blinked. And then she snappily replied: "Oh well, I jus wanted to give you your mic and help you with it. But since you see so confident, you can do it yourself."

  And she shoved the equipment into his hands and stalked off.

  Heechul could only stare back in wonderment. Perhaps finally realizing that Super Junior was starting their comeback in ten minutes, he quickly stopped a passing Kyuhyun to help him with his mic. Of course Kyuhyun being Kyuhyun, he had to do something else along with attaching the mic onto his Hyung.

  Which was how Heechul somehow found the mic attached to his pants without any way of getting it removed. He sighed, already drafting up ideas on how to destroy the Evil Maknae once and for all. Like seriously, none of the other Maknaes were as problematic as Suju's. Changmin was the Charismatic Maknae, Seohyun was the Innocent Maknae, while Taemin was the Cute one. Krystal was the Shy one, Sehun was the Emotionless one, and Joy was the Baby Maknae. How did Suju end up with the Evil one?

  He noticed who was standing in the doorway to help him with the mic, and sighed again when he saw her. This was going to be a long day.

  Nonetheless, Kim Heechul was free from that contraption after five minutes.

@_@

 

  Memory 2:

  "You again. Come here to laugh at me for last time?"

  "If you keep acting this way, maybe I will."

  "Whatever. Go get me a cup of coffee now. And make it quick."

  "What am I? The maid?"

  "I should think so, yes."

  "Well, I'll have you know that I'm part of the tech crew here, not some-"

  "I'm not stupid, I know. But I still want that coffee."

  "...Very well."

  Heechul cracked his knuckles as she walked out from the room. He couldn't stand brats like her, always talking back even when not concerned. All he just wanted was a cup of coffee and some quiet.

  He got his cup of coffee...on his shirt.

  Heechul yelled out in shock. The coffee, surprisingly and thankfully, was not scalding hot. Goodness knows what would happen if he scalded his milky white skin and caused it to turn a lobster red. But it still came as a shock, to feel the brown liquid soaking your shirt and trickling down your chest. He immediately glared at her.

  But she only smirked. "Sorry about that. But you got what you wanted anyway."

  And with that, she spun on her heel and exited, not forgetting to flip her hair into his face as she left.

@_@

 

  Memory 3:

  "Back again for more, I see."

  Heechul looked up to see her. "I thought that applied to you."

  "So what do you want now? Another cup of coffee I suppose."

  "I've had enough of that, thank you very much. I'm here for a proposal."

  "And how am I supposed to react to that?"

  "Well in my mind, you were jumping for joy and praising my name to the heavens."

  "And that would be because?"

  "I'm here to offer you a new job. To be my personal assistant."

  He could see her fall into a speechless stupor, obviously processing the offer.

  "Why?" She asked.

  "Why what?"

  "Why me?"

  "That's for me to know and for you to find out."

  A moment passed. Then she opened to give her reply.

  "Very well."

@_@

 

  Memory 4:

  "Hand me my water. And don't you dare sass me back."

  "I'll sass you all I like if I think you deserve it."

  "And there's that sassy character I know. Well, we've reached. Hold on tight, or you're gonna lose yourself in the crowd. You know how crazy those fangirls can get."

  "Glad I wasn't a fan of you"

  "Bingo."

   The van stopped, and Leeteuk glanced around the interior of the van. "Well, brace yourselves and push your way through. But keep calm under all circumstances, especially you Heenim. I know you, your rashness is just going to get you into more trouble. Now, are we ready?"

  Whoops and cheers echoed around the van, and Leeteuk grinned in satisfaction.

  "Alright guys, see you soon!"

  With that, the doors to the van opened, and the flashes started blinding the inhabitants of the van.

  Heechul kept his head down, knowing that the flashes wouldn't be as bad that way. One by one, the members left the van to expose themselves to the media and public awaiting them out there with bated breath. Soon it was his turn to leave, and he silently praised himself for not getting blinded by the cameras. He was a few steps away from the van when he heard a small yelp from behind. Spinning around quickly, he saw her trip on the carpet. That small sound itself though, garnered the attention of all of the reporters on the scene. Immediately, all cameras swivelled to her direction.

  Muttering a few curses, Heechul quickly backtracked and grabbed her arm. He tugged her along amidst all the camera flashes. They continued this way until they entered the building. Once inside, Heechul rounded on her.

  "Why couldn't you stick close to me? What if you were trapped there? You could have been trampled by the mob crowd and all those paparazzi!"

  Wounded, she struck back: "And why do you care so much anyway? You would probably be laughing at the footprint marks on my face!"

  "Because I'm a celebrity! I think I should know how frightening it is to be mobbed by Sasaengs and paparazzi!"

  They continued their heated stare-off, before Heechul muttered: "I dragged you into this world. I think the least I could do is keep you safe in it."

  With that he swept off, leaving her stunned in his wake.

  Later at the end of his performance, when he trudged back to his dressing room, he found a water bottle sitting atop his dressing table. A post-it note was stuck on the bottle, the words "I'm sorry, thank you for helping me." written clearly on it.

  A small smile adorned his face as he plucked the post-it from the bottle of water and pocketed it.

@_@

 

  Memory 5:

  "Happy Valentine's Day Hyung! Go check out all the Valentine gifts you've received from your fans!" Kangin hollered as Heechul strolled past him. He ignored his dongsaeng and decided to make his way to his Valentine gifts, which were all in the living room.

  Heechul came face-to-face with Donghae as he entered the living room, a silly grin plastered on his face with ridiculously-looking clownfish sunglasses perched on his nose. He couldn't help chuckling at Donghae's childish happiness and ruffled his dongsaeng's hair. "Happy Valentine's Donghae-ah."

  "Thanks!" Donghae chirped, looking impossibly happy as he bounced out of the living room. "Happy Valentine's to you too!"

  Making his way over to his pile of gifts, he was surprised to see her standing over his gifts, an unreadable look etched on her face.

  "What's up?"

  "I didn't know you have so many fans."

  "Well, of course I do. I'm THE Kim Heechul, after all."

  "Which is why I'm surprised you have that many gifts to begin with."

  "Why are you so y today?"

  "Aren't I always?"

  "It's increased in power level. Hmm...could it be?"

  "What?"

  "Nothing, just a thought."

  "Spit it out."

  "You don't have a boyfriend, do you?"

  Heechul noticed her strained face and grinned.

  "I was right wasn't I?"

  "You must be so happy about this discovery." She spat back. "I hope you enjoy wallowing in others' misery."

  He watched as she stormed out of the room, looking ready to punch somebody.

  "Hyung?"

  Heechul spun around to find Ryeowook looking at him slightly reproachfully.

  "Yes, Wookie-ah?"

  "I think you were quite mean to her. She can't help but not have a boyfriend. You didn't have to laugh at her about it."

  "I don't know Wookie-ah, she started it by being y."

  "There's no need to back."

  Ryeowook continued eyeing Heechul, until the latter finally sighed "fine".

  "That's my Hyung."

  When she first stepped back into the dorm, he asked: "Where were you?"

  She raised an eyebrow. "Out with my friends. Why?"

  Heechul swallowed. Well, here goes nothing.

  "I'm sorry."

  She blinked. "For?"

  "I shouldn't have laughed at you when you admitted that you did not have a boyfriend. It's lame, cause I don't have a girlfriend either." At this, he held out a rose. "Please accept this rose as a token of my apology and as your Valentine's Day gift."

  She took the rose and sniffed it, letting out a sigh of satisfaction at the sweet and intoxicating scent.

  "Thanks, you're better than I thought."

  "Well, I am Kim Heechul the Gracious."

  "This rose was one of the gifts from your fans, wasn't it."

  "...How do you know everything?"

@_@

 

  Memory 6:

  "Yeah Hankyung, can't wait to see you too."

  "Who were you talking to?"

  "My old mate Hankyung. He comes back every once in a while and we all just hang out together."

  "Hankyung...as in Hankyung of Super Junior? He left Korea and returned to China didn't he?"

  "Yep that's him. We meet up every once in a while so we're still happy with each other. He's coming back to make us all Beijing Fried Rice."

  "Oh, that's cool."

  Heechul laughed. "Yeah, Hankyung and his Beijing Fried Rice ARE cool. Especially because the Maknae loves it a lot. Keeps him off of everyone's tails for a while."

  "So what time is he arriving?"

  "5PM KST. Better keep yourself prepared PA."

 

 

  The door swung open to reveal Han Geng, typical Chinaman's face and all.

  Kyuhyun and Donghae immediately leapt onto Han Geng, puppy eyes at the ready.

  "Hyung, I'm hungryyy!"

  "Hyung, I want fish in mine!"

  Leeteuk came to peel them off. "You two are going to sit down there and wait until Hankyung has settled in, before requesting politely for anything."

  Han Geng just chortled. "It's okay, at least I know that they like my rice."

  "But we all like your rice!"

  She watched as Han Geng and Leeteuk walked off into the kitchen, with Leeteuk still carrying out the argument, and wondered just how her boss' old friend would be like.

  Later she could be seen washing the dishes in the kitchen, having volunteered to do so to give the boys time to catch up. At that moment, Han Geng decided to stroll in to grab a glass of water, destroying her train of thoughts.

  "So, I take it that you are Heechul's new PA."

  "What about it?"

  "I heard you get into a lot of fights with him."

  "He started it first."

  "Well you're certainly feisty. It's not all Heechul's fault after all."

  The kitchen fell into silence again as Han Geng drained his cup of water.

  "Take care of him for me, will you?"

  "Huh?"

  "He's my best friend in Korea. He did a lot for me. As petty as he may seem, he's a loyal guy, and a great friend. Now that you're his PA, take care of him in my stead."

  Han Geng then placed his cup in the sink and left, leaving her more confused then ever.

@_@

 

  Memory 7:

  "I take it that it's your birthday today."

  "Mhmm."

  "Here. It's for you."

  And she shoved the box into his hands.

  "What is this, my birthday present?"

  She rolled her eyes. "No, it's a bomb. So that I can kill you and get your money. Obviously it's your birthday present!"

  "Wow thanks, you remembered."

  "Take it or leave it."

  Heechul decided to take it and opened the box. Nestled inside the box were a pair of sunglasses.

  "I got the idea from your Bonamana MV. It's also to help with the paparazzi. Is it alright?" She asked anxiously.

  Heechul felt his heart expand warmly. He had received many, many pairs of sunglasses, but none concerned his well-being. This was the first time he had received a gift to protect him from his life. On instinct, he reached over and hugged her. She spluttered, but he held her in place.

  "I love it. It's the most thoughtful gift I've ever gotten. I'll wear it whenever there're paparazzi."

  "You can, you know, toss it away secretly if you think it's trashy."

  "I assure you, I love it. In exchange, meet me up on the rooftop later."

  "Why, are you going to throw the sunglasses in my face before pushing me off the building?"

  "That's a pretty good idea. I can do that if you want me to."

 

 

  Later, she met Heechul on the rooftop.

  She did not expect to see a blanket aid out.

  And a grinning Heechul on it.

  "C'mere." He gestured her over.

  She walked over and plopped her down on the blanket next to Heechul. Heechul sent her one of his rare smiles.

  "Glad you could make it."

  "You might fire me if I don't."

  "Can we ever go a day without arguing?"

  "Actually, maybe we can. We're arguing everyday, which is why it comes out as a habit now. I can try being cordial to you though."

  Heechul grinned: She was definitely The One. He could never have a boring day with her. Definitely not like those silly girls that kept hanging off of him that weren't even able to hold a decent conversation.

  "Say, have you ever wondered who is 'The One' for you?"

  "Of course," she replied nonchalantly. "Many many times."

  "Well, that's good. Cause I think you'd be the one for me."

  She blinked. "That has got to be the lamest pickup line I have ever heard. You're joking right?"

  "'Fraid not."

  She continued staring and Heechul sighed.

  "I know we've got to give it more time, but I'm pretty sure I like you. You're so different from the rest, really."

  She remained stil lfor a while, then sighed.

  "You might be telling the truth, you might not be. I don't know, this is all too sudden for me that I don't know how to react. I agree though, let's give it time. If you really like me, then you'll be able to move my heart in the meantime."

  "Fine, challenge accepted. In the meantime, how about those stars?"

  "What stars?"

  "The ones in the sky. I brought you up here to look at the stars, not just to confess."

  She looked up, and immediately lost her breath.

  "...They're so beautiful."

  "I know, they're gorgeous. But trust me when I say that not one can beat your beauty."

  "You're a fast mover."

  "Why thank you, I take pride in what I do."

@_@

 

  Memory 8:

  "Hey...isn't that Kai and D.O. of EXO?"

  "Yeah, what about them?"

  She looked out the windows, seeing Kyungsoo giving a quick peck to Jongin's cheek, and Jongin responding by kissing Kyungsoo back on the forehead. She watched as the two of them exchanged whispers before Jongin tilted Kyungsoo's chin upwards to kiss his boyfriend on the lips.

  "Well, I didn't know they were gay."

  "Sweetheart," Heechul said dismissively. "Half of SM are homos. The other half are either straight or bi. Stick a bunch of good-looking people together, no matter what gender, and you'll get such a result."

  She remained silent, choosing to continue looking at the gay couple outside.

  "Ah, young love," Heechul sighed. "But so, so forbidden. It's alomost like they're star-crossed lovers, destined to never expose their relationship to the world."

  "Their innocence and naiveity though, can teach us a few things." Heechul continued, staring down at his hoobaes affectionately. "Love knows no boundaries. And also, you love a person for his heart, not anything else.'

@_@

 

  Memory 9:

  "Yah! What're you doing in my room at this hour, you ert?!"

  "I couldn't sleep, so I decided to come and see if whether you could keep me company."

  "You have got to be joking."

  "Do I have green hair? White face? Clown looks? No? Well, I'm most definitely not the joker then."

  "...Why can't you sleep then?"

  "I have small insomnia attacks every now and then."

  "Asdfghjkl."

  "What?"

  "...I could sing a lullaby to help you?"

  "Would you really? Thanks!"

  She sighed as he immediately claimed a section on her bed, snuggling into her pillow. Slowly, she sang out the familiar lyrics and melody that were taught to her since young.

  And without noticing, but slowly and surely, Heechul peacefully drifted off to sleep.

@_@

 

  Memory 10:

  "Hey..."

  "What?"

  "Thanks for, you know, the other day."

  She blinked, not believing that her boss had just thanked her. "Did you just  thank me?"

  "Yes I did. What's wrong?"

  "I just never thought that the day would come when Heechul the Great would thank his lowly Personal Assistant."

  "Well, the world must be ending 'cause the day finally came."

  They lay in silence for awhile, settling into the calming ambience.

  "Where did that song come from?"

  "Why?"

  "It was a nice song."

  "Thanks."

  "So...have you considered my words from the other day? My confession I mean."

  She looked into Heechul's face, wondering how she could ever like such a brutally honest man.

  "I have been thinking about it...and to be honest, I really have no idea. A part of me says to like you, and yet the other part objects."

  "It's okay. I-I can wait, I mean."

  "Am I really worth the wait?"

  He turned, and entwined his fingers into her hair.

  "For you, anything is worth waiting for."

  She just buried herself into Heechul's chest, wrapping her arms around his torso. Heechul, taken by surprise, slowly reciprocated by sliding his arms around her. Later, when she thought he was sleeping, she snuck a quick kiss onto Heechul's lips before snuggling back into his embrace.

  Unbeknownst to her, a smile etched itself onto Heechul's face.

@_@

 

  And now, as he relaxes back into those familiar pair of arms that he was entrapped in, he smiles at the memories. He feels Heebum padding his way over and turns around so that he can wrap her in his embrace. As Heebum makes himself comfortable at his feet (He's weird too. Like owner, like pet.), he drifts off into slumber, awaiting the next day.

  And the remaining days he could ever have with her.