The first and final shot

If Cupid Had a Heart

"Rinrin, open the door," 

Rinrin is laying flat on her bed when she heard her mother knocking on the door. She did not make any move. 

"Rinrin, you will be sick if you keep on skipping your meals like this, dear," her mother is saying again. Even her concern voice cannot change the 16 year old girl's decision to stay in her room until the day.

The day.

She doesn't have to eat. She will die soon by the way. The doctor says so. Rinrin got a brain tumor. When the doctor finally detected the tumor, it was too late. The most cheerful girl in Chongdam High will die soon. She doesn't have to bother about her meals. The meals will not stop the day from coming, so why bother?

 

***


"Thanks for accepting me! I will work hard starting from today," the boy bowed at the manager of the CD store with a wide grin on his face. 

"Don't disappoint me, Taemin," the manager said as he pats on the boy's shoulder.

"You can count on me, sir!" Taemin bows again. He is a part-timer at the biggest CD store in the town, the newest too, and today is his first day. 

"Can you packed this for me..?" suddenly a girl appeared right in front of him. Taemin eyed the girl. She looks very cute, but a little bit pale. There is a shy expression on her face, and that had made Taemin stuttered a bit.

"Please wait here," he said and run quickly to the counter with the CD the girl handed him. He was about to wrap the CD when he thought of something. He quickly opened the drawer in front of him and took out a small paper, and he scribbled something on it. He put the paper in the paper bag and wraps it together with the CD.

"Here you are, miss," Taemin smile sweetly as he handed the bag to the girl. The girl took it, and quickly left the store. Taemin is not very sure, but his heart is beating so fast the moment he saw the girl.

 

***


The cupid is cruel. That is what Rinrin thought after what had happened just now.

**
An hour ago


"Rinrin, there is a new CD store opened in front of our neighborhood. I know you like collecting CDs, dear," her mother is knocking on the door again.

The girl has given up on her life that nothing can make her smile. As soon as she heard about the CD store, she thought of something.

She will no longer have the chance to visit the biggest CD store in the town once the day arrived. 

"Maybe I should pay a visit," Rinrin told herself, so she quickly dressed up. Her mother is smiling when she saw Rinrin walking down the stairs. Her daughter is going to get herself some fresh air for the first time since the past several weeks. The only daughter of hers had give up on schools too the moment she knew about the tumor..

"I'm going, omma," Rinrin said as she wave her hands, and quickly made he way to the CD store. The store looks so grand, even Rinrin who lost all the excites in herself was surprised to see how big and great the store is.

The moment she stepped it, her weak heart beats faster. Rinrin just saw a very cute boy, must be around her age, is smiling cheerfully as the manager of the store [Rinrin really thought the man is the manager] pats on his shoulder. The girl quickly grabbed a CD at the nearest rack, and makes her way to the boy. 

"I need to talk to him.." Rinrin is telling herself a number of times as she walks.

"Can you packed this for me..?" she quickly said, handing the CD to the boy the moment she reached him. Rinrin can feel the boy is eyeing her from head to toe, and she suddenly feel embarrassed.

"Please wait here," the boy quickly said and he run to the counter with the CD Rinrin just handed him. He took some times to wrap the CD. A couple of minutes later, the boy handed the wrapped CD to her and he flashed his cute smile.

"Here you are, miss," the boy said. Rinrin quickly took it and quickly made her way out of the store. She is too shy to even look at the boy.




Rinrin put the CD she bought just now on the table. She just picked the CD randomly in order to talk to the boy. She lay down on her bed and thought.

"If cupid had a heart, he will never make me fell for the boy. I'm going to die soon. I was not meant to be happy.." and she closed her eyes slowly. Before she fell asleep, Rinrin had decided to visit the store again tomorrow.

 

***


Taemin was arranging the new arrivals at one of the rack when the cute girl from yesterday appeared again. He quickly makes his way to the girl.

"Annyeonghaseyo!" he greets the girl cheerfully. The girl greets her back and bow.

"I'm Taemin. What's your name?" he quickly asked.

"Rinrin," the girl answered. Her voice sounds so soft, and very pleasant to his ears. Taemin saw Rinrin is holding a CD in her hands.

"Do you want me to pack the CD up for you?" he asked sweetly. Rinrin nodded slowly as she hands the boy her CD. Taemin take the CD and walks to the counter.

"Maybe she has not watched the CD she bought yesterday yet," he is talking to himself as he took out another small piece of paper, and scribbled something on it. Taemin handed the wrapped CD to Rinrin after he dropped the paper in it.

And whatever happens that day repeated for the next seven days. Rinrin now has nine new CDs on her table, still wrapped nicely. She is happier day by day as she can meet Taemin everyday. She never cares about the unwrapped CDs piled up on her table. All she cares now is Taemin's smile.

And on the tenth day, Rinrin finally made up her mind. She wants to ask Taemin out. So she dressed up as nice as she can that day, and started preparing all the suitable sentences for her to throw at the boy she fell for ten days ago. Her head is aching hard today, but she is still with her decision to visit the store.

When Rinrin reached the store, all the courage she got earlier suddenly disappears. Rinrin is so nervous she does not have the courage to even greet Taemin as always.

"Hey, you're here!" Taemin greets her as he flashed that adorable smile of his. And for the first time, he saw Rinrin without a CD in her hand.

"You're not going to buy anything today?" Taemin asked. He always feels like he is talking to himself because all Rinrin did were nod and shook her head instead of replying him verbally.

Rinrin quickly took out a small notebook and a pen hanging in Taemin's pocket, and she scribbled down her phone number. She handed the notebook and the pen back to Taemin, and quickly left. Taemin was so shocked by her acts he doesn't even has the chance to stop Rinrin.

 

***


"He must have think I'm a fool," Rinrin is talking to herself the moment she reached her room. 

She quickly lay down on her bed as her headache is getting worse. Her mother went to visit their neighbor a few minutes ago. She will be back soon, Rinrin is telling herself. She was holding her tears so hard as the tumor keep hurting her from inside when she heard the phone down stairs ring.

Deep inside her heart, she knew it is Taemin. She gathers her strength to stand up on her feet, and quickly make her way down stairs. Rinrin is holding to the wall as she walks since her head is aching to the worst, and her vision is getting blurred.


Her legs can no longer help her, so she fell on her knees the moment she reached downstairs. She held out her hand and quickly picked up the phone.

"Annyeong! Um, may I speak to Rinrin, please?" she heard Taemin's voice on the other side of the line.

"Taem.." that's the only word Rinrin manage to croak, and the tumor is hurting her even harder from inside that she feels like her head is going to burst sooner. 

"Rinrin, is that you?! What's wrong? You sounds hurt!"

Though Rinrin knew she will never have the time to explain everything; Taemin's words just now had drawn a smile on her face. At least she knows that the boy she loves is concern about her.


"Taemin.. I love you.." at last she managed to say the line.

And everything went black after that. The phone dropped from her weak grip, as she leans against the wall. She closed her eyes, her tears wetted her cheeks, but she is smiling.

She is free.

She can no longer feel the pain.

And she succeeded in letting Taemin know her feelings.

 

***


"This is her room," Rinrin's mother is leading Taemin to her daughter's room. Taemin can see the swollen eyes of the old woman, crying over the death of her only daughter yesterday. Taemin called again a few times right after Rinrin confessed to him yesterday. But the next time his call got through, it is her sobbing mother answering his call, not Rinrin.

He asked for the address, and here he is now. He eyed the loveable, pink bed room. The owner of the room must be a very cheerful person. Taemin made his way in, and his heart aches when he saw all the new CDs piled up on the girl's desk.

He reached for the first one in the row. Taemin quickly unwraps the CD, and inside he saw the small paper he dropped in on the first day he met Rinrin. His handwriting is very small to fit inside the small paper, yet very clear.

"Hi, I'm Taemin.Um, want to hang out together tomorrow?"

The boy keeps the paper back in the paper bag, and his hand reach for another CD. Taemin unwraps it, and he took out another small piece of paper.

"There's this cafe not far from here. They makes really good chocolate drinks. Let's go together?"

"I think you haven't watched any of the CDs you bought the past three days. I hope you did watch this one. I really like you, Rinrin,"

"Rinrin, if you don't have a boyfriend yet, can I be him?"

Taemin is reading his own handwriting on another piece of paper. A slight tear suddenly rolls on his cheek. If only he was brave enough before, and confess like a man, not through small notes like that, Rinrin will be happier before the day arrived..

"This will not happen to us if cupid had a heart," Taemin thought as he stepped out of the room. The room of the girl he fell for eleven days ago.

THE END


Hello! As written in the description,
this is actually my very FIRST oneshot. It was written on 
July 3rd, 2009.
That's all. I have nothing else to say XD
Do leave a comment if you like it ^-^

Love, PYNK