one more time (or a million)

kiss me baby

Byun Baekhyun and Kim Jongdae are not best friends.

But there the former falls into a dilemma because the two of them don't seem like boyfriends either. Though they have apparently passed the line between the two around a week ago, not any, not even one of his attempts at kissing Jongdae has worked. He's tried several times everyday, trying to catch the other male in surprise but failing every time.

Baekhyun sighs.

What has he ever done wrong to be rejected so harshly by his dear princess Jongdae? If he won't give Baekhyun any kisses at all, the brunette's sure he'll grow up to become an ugly frog. A short ugly frog. And Jongdae will never have his perfect Prince Charming.

And Baekhyun clearly remembers the kisses they had shared before they became boyfriends - there was that time when Jongdae jumped into his arms after math class, giggling and waving his perfect test score, and he had pressed his lips to the other male's in a happy frenzy. There was also that other time, the first kiss they shared, long time ago when they were both in kindergarten and Jongdae had dropped his toy into the lake. The other male's eyes had been welling up, but Baekhyun had tried his best to stop them by lightly pecking him. After all, that's what his daddy usually did if his mommy got sad.

But why not now?

Baekhyun sighs again, but the loud thunk of a ruler prevents him from thinking any further.

"Byun Baekhyun! Stop daydreaming!" The teacher shrieks from the front of the class and the brunette immediately jolts back to life.

"Technically, I wasn't daydreaming, because I wasn't actually dreaming, I was thinking - "

"Byun. Baek. Hyun." The teacher enunciates every syllable of his name, which kinda really freaks Baekhyun out.

"Alright, alright." He mumbles, and several people around him laugh at his misery. He pouts. He doesn't wanna be at school, he wants to be home with his Daedae and cuddle all day. Baekhyun makes a satisfied grunt at the back of his throat upon thinking of that, but it's followed by a desperate whine when he remembers that he's in class and the teacher will probably call him out again if he doesn't pay attention. 

Fine, evil teacher. You win this round.


"Daedae!" Baekhyun shouts the second he gets out of the classroom. He already knows, both instinctively and from experience, that Jongdae will be standing, books hugged to his chest, waiting for him outside. His boyfriend's class usually gets off earlier than his because their teacher is like an angel compared to theirs.

He sees the male turn around slowly, and puckers his lips, trying to land a kiss. 

Swat.

As much as Baekhyun would like to exaggerate and compare what happened to the moments in anime when a character makes a fool of himself trying to leap at a girl and falls headifrst onto the ground, it really isn't. Instead of the floor, luckily, he only collides with the nearest wall, which isn't as bad. 

"Daedae..." Baekhyun pouts, turning around to face his boyfriend, squatting on the ground.

"Oh my gosh Baekhyun are you okay?" Jongdae is immediately beside him, on his knees, all his thick books clutched in one hand while his other hand at the other's head in worry. The mentioned male slowly looks up. Bad idea, because Jongdae's lips are now filling his peripheral vision, and they look soft and sweet and succulent and - 

Baekhyun leans forward, eyes closed, prepared for his lips to meet his boyfriend's gorgeous ones, and keeps leaning forward to where he thinks his boyfriend's lips are. Well, honestly, he can't see anything right now, because his eyes are closed, and he's sure Jongdae can't lean that far backward (he at limbo), but Baekhyun can't ruin the moment so he leans forward some more, telling himself that there's only a little bit more until his lips reach Jongdae's.

However, instead of his boyfriend's adorable, soft lips, he opens his eyes merely a second later to see grey. His mouth is pressed against something really hard, and he can see Jongdae's shadow beside him out of the corner of his eyes, and he immediately sits up properly, to find that he, Byun Baekhyun, had almost made out with the floor. The floor.

Baekhyun wipes his lips, a tiny frown marring his features. He looks over to Jongdae, expecting the other male to at least say something, but his so-called boyfriend is looking away, staring into the distance as if nothing had happened. Slowly, Baekhyun stands back up, all too aware of the other students lounging around the hallway staring sympathetically. 

Rubbish. Byun Baekhyun doesn't need their pity.

He walks away, unable to look back at Jongdae.


Lying on his bed that night, Baekhyun comes up with about a hundred reasons why Jongdae doesn't want to kiss him.

Part of the reason why he comes up with so many reasons is because normally, he never really has this much time. He usually hangs out at Jongdae's after school, either cuddling in the latter's bed while doing their work, or playing video games. It's either one or the other, and without any of them, Baekhyun has nothing to do. He doesn't even feel like doing his homework, the foreboding pile sitting at the corner of his desk. Looking at it just reminds Baekhyun of the fact that Jongdae's always been the smart one between the two of them, the one to guide Baekhyun once he loses his way (and also the one who usually tackles the harder math problems while Baekhyun cooes at whatever small animal he spots outside the window). 

The other part of the reason is because Baekhyun hopes, that by taking apart all his flaws, by thinking and analyzing carefully, maybe he'll be able to figure something out. 

He's loud and brash, unafraid to voice his opinions out to the world. If Byun Baekhyun has something to say, hell, he will say it. He's also relentlessly stubborn, and if he pursues something, nothing, he repeats, nothing, will make him give up on it. Maybe Jongdae thinks he's too loud, too annoying, and too pushy. Like an overbearing mom. Baekhyun briefly remembers that terrible encounter he had had with his boyfriend's mom before (it involved supermarkets and disgusting cucumbers is all he can say), and shivers. It'd be understandable, he supposes. 

And while Jongdae is quiet and studious, Baekhyun is the complete opposite. His boyfriend is the perfect role model for everyone, and he himself is anything but. Baekhyun sighs, lying on his side and snuggling into his blankets. Jongdae knows how to cook, knows how to get good grades, knows how to socialise...it's at times like this when Baekhyun begins to wonder if he's the only one stopping Jongdae from pursuing what he really wants.

Baekhyun faintly remembers that offer Jongdae got for a really good school in England once, in primary school. He's tried his best to forget it since then, but for some reason, it always seems to pop up when he's at his lowest moments. Jongdae had been a brilliant student, throughout his whole academic life and even until now, so Baekhyun wouldn't be surprised if the other male had hidden other offers from him, just so Baekhyun wouldn't cry and rub his snot all over his blankets again.

Rolling over once in his bed, so the back of his neck is touching cloth, slightly dampened by the presence of tears, Baekhyun shuts his eyes, willing himself to sleep. He tries to count sheep, but as much as he tries, the fluffy white clouds are replaced by pretty pink lips and a pale, gorgeous neck, home to the best vocals Baekhyun's ever heard. His eyes bubble up with tears once more, and this time, he cries himself to sleep.


Baekhyun wakes up to a melodious tune dancing through the swirls of autumn leaves and kissing the wind.

He turns over on his back, the blankets threading in and out of his legs like a mermaid's tail and yawns, the beautiful voice lulling him back into a dreamlike state. Though teetering on the edge of sleep, Baekhyun's eyes flicker open for a second to find the source of th noise, only to see a sharp-jawed, elegantly poised silhouette, and that's enough to startle him back into being fully awake.

"Jongdae? H-how?" There's a slight, unusual tremble in Baekhyun's voice as he takes in the sight of his boyfriend so early in the morning (is it even morning? Baekhyun doesn't know anymore). Sharply defined, beautiful pink lips twist into a knowing smile.

"Your mother called me over because she heard you were crying." Jongdae says, and Baekhyun blushes furiously at the thought of his mom calling his boyfriend in the middle of the night just to tell him to come over because my son's crying and I think it's because of you.

"Um..." Baekhyun starts awkwardly, fiddling with his fingers, refusing to make eye contact with Jongdae. His attempts are futile because the other male is walking towards the bed and taking residence on the left side, right beside Baekhyun. Jongdae leans closer, closer, until his face is just a hair length away from Baekhyun's. His head's tilted, staring at Baekhyun, eyes wide.

"Why were you crying?" Jongdae asks so bluntly, straightforwardly, and Baekhyun sobs dramatically (inside his head, of course), because how the hell is he supposed to avoid answering that?

"I - I just...," Baekhyun says, unsure of how to phrase it. It sounds so much better inside his head, whatever he's about to say. Jongdae is still staring at him, waiting and expecting for a reason, an explanation, so Baekhyun decides this situation can't get much worse than it already is, so screw sounding polite, "you won't kiss me!"

Baekhyun looks down as he blushes even more, forest fires lighting up his cheeks. Why, why did he always seem to make situations even worse than they were? How does he always manage to embarrass himself? How? He can hear Jongdae coughing quietly, tiny puffs of air brushing across his heated cheeks, and he can't bring himself to complain about it like the germaphobe he is. Instead, he chooses to look down, scrunching his eyes in favour of blocking out the world around him (as best as he can, at least).

Another cough from Jongdae. It's really getting on Baekhyun's nerves - he likes knowing what's happening, likes knowing his position, where hs stands in any situation, and this is exactly what he doesn't have at this moment. Having no control, hopeless, just about everything Baekhyun hates to be. He squirms underneath his blankets, quietly deciding his next action (he chooses to run away, of course), but he never manages to actually carry it out because Jongdae grips his blanketed arm, mouth opening and closing (like a goldfish, Baekhyun thinks) as he struggles for words.

"I... I didn't not want to kiss you!" Jongdae says, biting his lip and looking adorably worried, "I just... I just thought I might not be good enough." His words trail off into a faint whisper, but Baekhyun still manages to capture every word. And he gapes at Jongdae, mouth wide open.

"Why." Jongdae looks at him confusedly before Baekhyun elaborates, "why would you ever think you're not good enough for me?" Jongdae fidgets with his fingers, placed neatly on top of a book (its pages dog-eared as usual) and murmurs a reply quietly, "You've kissed others before, right?"

Baekhyun nods, not seeing how this has anything to do with it.

"It's just... remember when you were dating Kris?" He nods again, getting more and more muddled by the second.

"You gushed about him to me every night, and one of the things you said... you said Kris was a good kisser." Baekhyun blushes because he sure doesn't remember telling Jongdae that, but then again, Baekhyun does say a lot of things when he's sleepy. 

"What about that, though?" Baekhyun asks, still quite befuddled about the whole situation. Kris was a good kisser and a good boyfriend, so what?

"So I thought I had to at least keep up with his, you know, standard. So I searched up a lot of ways to make me become a good kisser, and I read a lot of romance novels and stuff..." Jongdae holds up his book, and lo and behold, it is a romance novel. Shyly, the male continues hiding behind it, seemingly ashamed of confessing this to Baekhyun, "and I just didn't want to kiss you until I thought I was good enough."

To say Baekhyun is touched would be an understatement. He's ready to cry, smother Jongdae and write about a hundred sonnets, but he holds himself back, because you know what they say: go slow (that does not just apply for ual situations, thank you very much).

"Well," Baekhyun says, and Jongdae peeps anxiously at him from behind the crinkly pages of his book, "I think you're good." And with that, he leans forward, the same thing he's done millions and millions of times, and this time, Jongdae bends forward too, their lips meeting in the middle in a chaste kiss. Jongdae's lips are thing but soft, sweet, and everything Baekhyun had ever imagined. Way nicer than whatever the Powerpuff Girls were made from (whoops bad reference).

He pulls back, a big smile on his face.

"You're perfect."

 

from: your terrible author who definitely should've had this up ages ago ٩(ↀДↀ)۶

i sincerely apologize for the wait, guys. honestly, i should've gotten this done sooner, but i'm a lazy cat (not a scaredy cat, nuh uh) and i hate doing anything. except breathing and eating. and writing, but inside my head only. thank you to everyone who waited for this and i do hope you enjoy this terrible mess. 

=^● ⋏ ●^=

p.s.: this is disgustingly short help me my non-existent writing skills died