Finding Delta

Limits

"So the limit of f(x) is..." 

Taekwoon chanted in his head a number of computations before the final answer on his paper. He regained that soft smile on his face, now filled with so much relief. His homework was already done let out a short sigh of both excitement and relief. He was free already. He looked at the clock of his dorm room. 

"It's only 7:45PM. Thy night is still young!" he exclaimed, adjusting his square glasses with its bridge. 

As he went to get his jacket, he accidentally looked at himself in the full body mirror of his closet. He wore the jacket with the fluffy hood and stared at the mirror─at himself particularly. His eyes gazed up to his pitch black hair and tried to fix it as much as he could. He then mustered a short and simple laugh, knowing that his futile actions were really childish. 

"I might be able to lay eyes on thy Juliet," he whispered then sighed softly, "Why must thou be trapped into this idiosyncrasy?" 

He asked himself everyday that question. And even this vulgarity of Victorian grammar wouldn't make him release that explosiveness of vocal cords or what we know as laugh. 

δ

He walked throughout the big campus. It was very gargantuan. He needed to ride this campus minibus to go to one building to another. Every student was scavenging for bones in the street, just like him. Survival of the fittest, as the theory suggested. Eyes were always glued to books, papers, reviewers, forms, or any other reading material related to the subject. Yes, his college life was as easy as riding a bicycle. Although the wheels were on fire, along with the bike. The road was also on fire, and everything else. For it was hell. 

The gargantuan labrynth of what we call "campus" wasn't really the best when it comes to intelligence. It was more than that, but Jaehwan knew better. Intelligence was nothing without the heart. That was his motto. What was intelligence if the heart was pumping deoxygenated blood to systematic circulation. Symbolism. He really liked symbolisms and connotations. 

Where was he headed, anyway? Yes, it was almost 8:00PM and it was a fifteen-minute walk from his dorm. He was headed to this ice cream cafe named "Nitrose", which uses nitrogen to freeze down the ice cream. It was a somewhat ritual to him already. To go at night to Nitrose was his thing. Feeding himself ice cream made him calm. He forgets all his worries when he eats ice cream. There was also another agenda why he visits the place. 

δ

Nitrose. Nitrogen-filled tanks were sprawled here and there as the pastel blue cafe welcomed him and his hungry stomach. He managed to plaster a faint smile on his face when a certain hazel brown-haired male was in the counter, wearing his signature grin. He watched as the other bowed down and chanted that signature "Welcome to Nitrose!" greeting. A wave of fresh flowers just soothed his inner being when he heard his lovely voice. How he just wished to stay and be with that fluffy goofball. 

He walked to the counter where the other was. As he walked, he felt like time had stopped. He felt forever in a few seconds. Cheesy as it may sounded, but it was what his heart was screaming. He managed to examine the male in front of him. His hazel brown hair, his candle white skin, his naturally beautiful eyes, his funny little big nose, his scrumptious lips, his pastel-colored uniform that matches perfectly with his skin, his bronze plate that said "Nitrose! I am Lee Jaehwan." with his scrubby handwriting... He cursed under his breath. He had dreamt once again. 

Taekwoon reached the counter and looked in front of him, seeing the hazel br─Jaehwan, made his heart jump googolplex times. That was saying a lot. He just stared into his brown orbs. His throat ran dry from words to say. 

"How may I help you sir?" Jaehwan asked. 

"Just stop being so cute..." Taekwoon trailed. 

"W-what, sir?" the clerk asked, slightly flustered. 

"I-i mean, one mocha latte."

Idiot, stupid, halfwitted, dunce, ignoramus! He thought to himself. He just embarrassed himself in front of his very weakness. Why did he always falter in front of Jaehwan? Why did this little cute ball of fluff just ruin his whole ideal? 

"Sir? Sir?" Jaehwan called out. 

Taekwoon blinked out of his trance. He looked at the cashier with a bit of confusion, who in return gave the same confusing look. 

"Your latte, sir?" Jaehwan said. 

Taekwoon would have had erythrocytes crowded in his cheeks but he ought to keep his composure. He took the cup and gave a small bow. He turned around, even against his will, and walked towards a table at the corner, but Jaehwan's face would still be visible. He sat down at the seat and gazed upon the cute figure in the counter. He definitely released a soft sigh. 

 

Delta.Taekwoon was afraid that his life, his love life particularly, was a minuscule delta. There was a forever, on his own. It was not complete.