“Memoirs”

ANGST One-shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Story Title: Memoirs Characters: GOT7's Mark and Xiu Mei (Original Character) Date Created: November 10, 2014

 

 

I LOOKED up at the gray, starless night sky as it dropped tiny beads of water down on me and it didn't bother me one bit. I don't have an umbrella with me but I'm not going anywhere. A drizzle won't be enough to drench me all over anyway. I shifted on my feet as I stood there waiting for the bus to arrive. I was alone and somehow it's starting to get cold. I shoved my hands inside the pocket of my jacket and clenched my teeth, trying to ignore the coldness of the night.

Much to my annoyance, the drizzle started to drop in big droplets of rain. It’s finally raining and I have no choice but to stand there until the bus would arrive. Since I have no hoodie attached on my jacket, I took the backpack from my shoulder and put it above my head. I clenched my teeth tighter as the cold wind began to blow harder. A curse escaped my lips when I didn’t see a single bus heading my way. Seriously, were they on strike or something?

Just then, an umbrella went over my head. I looked up and dropped my eyes as I turned around. Through the faint light from the lamp-post nearby, I could see her smiling at me showing her even teeth. It was the brightest smile ever and I couldn’t help but smile back.

All of a sudden, my heart thumped wildly. I wanted to punch myself. I’m not in high school anymore, and this butterflies-in-the-stomach thing was so new to me.

I cleared my throat. “Thanks,” I muttered as I finally lowered my backpack off my head. She just smiled at me. For a second, I couldn’t breathe because she moved next to me. I only then realized we were both crammed under her small umbrella.

To be honest, this was a first to me; I haven’t met a stranger who willingly shared her umbrella with me.

Except for this lady beside me.

I wanted to say something, like start a conversation but I found myself tongue-tied. I sneakily glanced at her and caught her looking at her shoes. Her pink flat shoes were wet because of the rain. I wanted to give her my jacket but then she was wearing a sweater and it was dumbed of me. My jacket was moist and her sweater must be probably dry.

I cleared my throat for the second time. Just as when I was about to start a conversation, a car’s headlights caught my attention—it was the bus.

I should feel relieved, but somehow I couldn’t hide my frustration.

When the bus stopped right in front of us, I stepped forward thinking that she will do the same. But she didn’t. She just stood there with her umbrella while looking at me.

I looked back at her, the same moment I heard the bus’ door opened for me. “Aren’t you coming?” I asked.

“No,” she replied softly.

I wanted to ask if she was waiting for her boyfriend but I stopped myself. I have no right to ask her that. She didn’t know me.

“I’m waiting for a different bus actually.” She told me as if she knew the question inside my brain. An understanding ‘oh’ escaped my lips.

I forced a smile. “Well, goodbye then. Thanks for the umbrella.”

“Welcome,” she smiled back. “And take care as well.”

This time, my smile was no longer forced. I hopped inside the bus and caught the driver looking at me ridiculously. I flashed a sheepish grin. He was probably annoyed because it took me time to finally get inside the bus.

I took the last seat near the window. Before the bus moved, I waved goodbye at her through the wet glass window. I caught her waving back.

I sighed. I was kind of hoping I would see her again, but the chance was too slim. I knew better than to hope for such miracle.

 

 

AS I WALKED away from the studio, I looked up and see millions of stars winking back at me. It was a great night indeed, totally opposite of the night before. I sighed as I held my head back down. I’m still thinking about her; that girl who willingly shared her umbrella with me. I wanted to see her and know her name. The feeling was so overwhelming I couldn’t breathe a little.

I stood there waiting for the bus and for her to show up again. I was expecting her to be there; but she didn’t show up.

I hopped in the bus reluctantly; I was still hoping she will show herself even before the bus will drove away.

But then again, disappointment washed over me.

I arrived at my house feeling like I was beaten up. I flicked the lights on and soon brightness filled my eyes. For a moment, I stood there and scanned my eyes around. It’s been a month but still it couldn’t seem to sink in that I’m now living here.

I sighed and went straight to the kitchen to grab myself a glass of water. I knew the possibility of meeting her again was slim, but I haven’t really prepared myself for that because I was hoping. And I feel stupid.

I didn’t even get the chance to know her name. Damn.

And why the hell am I stressing myself over this? People come and go out of our lives, and she’s not an exception to that. So I shouldn’t be stressing myself, right?

Soon enough, I took a quick shower and organized inside my head the things I will do tomorrow. I’m a photographer actually and I owned a studio. I used to take pictures of people before. Not celebrities and fashion people, just normal people, places, and other interesting things. In other words, I’m a photojournalist. But now, I feel like I lost the ability to do it.

I went to my studio every day and spend my entire time in the darkroom to develop photographs from my cameras. It sounded boring for most people but it actually meant a lot to me.

My phone rang and found Sister Fei’s name appeared on the screen. She was from the orphanage where I spend my eighteen years of living. I am an orphan and she’s one of the sisters who took care of me. They found me outside the orphanage’s door with a letter that said ‘please name him Mark Tuan’ and that’s it. No name of my mother or father was written on that piece of paper. I got out from the orphanage four years ago but still I’m keeping contact with them.

“Yes, Sister Fei?” I said as soon as I held the phone against my ear.

“Mark, I’m sorry to disturb you. Are you sleeping?”

“No, no, it’s fine. I’m not sleeping yet.” I told her. I couldn’t seem to detect the tone of her voice. “Something’s wrong, Sister Fei?”

“Can you come over here this Saturday? I have something to give you.”

“Oh, I’ll just come over there tomorrow then if you’d like.”

“No, just this Saturday.” She insisted. “And the Hwangs want to see you but the only time they’ll be here is Saturday.”

My eyebrows narrowed. That didn’t sound like my last name so obviously they weren’t my parents who wanted to see me. “Who?” I asked.

“The Hwangs.” She repeated.

I chuckled. “Don’t you think it’s too late for someone to adopt me, Sister?”

I heard a sigh from the other line. “They are not going to adopt you, Mark. They want to talk to you about something. And trust me, this would help you out.”

“Okay,” I sighed. “Saturday. What time?”

“Is nine in the morning okay?”

“It’s perfect. I’ll be there.”

“Thank you, Mark.” And she hung up. Then I decided to just hit my bed instead and sleep.

 

 

DAYS FLEW fast and Saturday came, I was on my way to the orphanage. I was five minutes early, which was not shocking at all since I’ve known myself to be always on time. I greeted the Sisters down the hallway as I headed straight towards Sister Fei’s office. I knocked on the door thrice and opened it after I heard Sister’s Fei’s voice from the inside.

I expected her to be alone but then two people were sitting on the couch across her. They both turned to me. I awkwardly bowed my head and said my apologies.

“No, no, don’t go out, Mark. Sit down, please.” Sister Fei said even before I could head back to the door. For a second, I just stood there but I finally got myself to move and sat on the chair on Sister Fei’s right side. I glanced at the older people across Sister Fei’s and I assumed they were the Hwangs as she told me on the phone. Sitting on the chair next to the old man was a not-so-small box and I don’t know what it was. They can’t be my grandparents, right? For one, they didn’t look old enough to be my grandparents. Well, I didn’t know my parents; they could be teenagers when they made me and I was unplanned.

“Mark,” the older man started and I blinked. “You probably didn’t know us, but we are…Xiu Mei’s parents.” My eyebrows narrowed on instinct as I tried to digest what he had said.

Sister Fei cleared her throa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter