1

Separated

Sojin let out a loud scream. She was having one of her 'angry moments' as the doctors called it. She started hitting the walls and screamed even louder, when she heard a soft voice calling her name.

"Sojin-ssi.."

Sojin stopped screaming. She looked at the glass wall and saw the small girl from the next room. Lee Hyeri, sat next to it.

"Sojin-ssi, I drew you another picture." She said, holding up a piece of paper.

Sojin crawled over to the glass wall slowly. "...Picture.." She mumbled.

Hyeri slid the drawing under the small gap between the glass. "It's me and you, Sojin-ssi."

Sojin smiled. "Very nice."

"Please don't be angry, Sojin-ssi. You have me." Said Hyeri with a smile.

"Sorry. I won't do it again." Said Sojin.

Sojin placed her hand on the glass, and Hyeri copied her. They stayed like that for a good ten minutes, until doctor Minah came into Sojin's room to talk with her.

"I have to go." Said Sojin, then she left the glass wall and sat on her bed, looking up at Minah.

Minah always visited Sojin every week and always had a notepad full of sheets. It was when Sojin was allowed to talk about whatever she wanted that she pointed to the pictures on the wall.

"Pictures? Did you draw them?" Minah asked.

Sojin shook her head. "Hyeri-ssi drew them for me."

"Who's Hyeri?" Minah asked.

"Hyeri-ssi!" Sojin called.

Hyeri left her desk in her room and walked up to the glass wall and smiled at the two.

"Ah, yes. Doctor Yura told me about you two." Said Minah.

"We're best friends." Hyeri said through the glass.

"I can tell that." Said Minah, then she turned to Sojin. "Thank you for talking with me today, Sojin. Let's talk again next week."

Sojin nodded. "Should I get the door?" She ran over to the door quickly and pulled the handle, but it was locked.

"It's okay Sojin. I'll do it. You go sit back down on your bed." Said Minah, letting herself out whilst Sojin walked back to her bed.

There was a small silence. Sojin walked up to the glass wall and looked into Hyeri's room. Hyeri had gone back to her desk and was drawing another picture.

"Hyeri-ssi.." Sojin mumbled.

Hyeri looked up from her desk. "Yes, Sojin-ssi?"

"I wish I could draw you pictures." Said Sojin, sitting down next to the glass wall.

"You can Sojin-ssi! I'll give you some paper and a pen!" Said Hyeri, fumbling around in a drawer to get out some paper and a pen for Sojin. She stumbled over to the glass wall and carefully slid the items under. "There you go, Sojin-ssi!"

"Thanks, Hyeri-ssi." Sojin said, smiling. "I'll draw here, because I don't have a desk like you."

"I'll sit with you!" Said Hyeri, running back to her desk to get her pens and paper, then she ran back to the glass wall and sat down. "Draw me something pretty Sojin-ssi!"

Sojin started to draw. She wasn't very good, mainly because she hadn't held a pen in years. She drew a grassy hill, and a big sunset, then drew two people, girls, holding hands. She drew smiling faces, then passed it under the glass.

"It's us, Hyeri-ssi. We're watching the sun together." Said Sojin.

"I like it a lot, Sojin-ssi. I'll put it on my wall!" Said Hyeri with a big smile. "One day we'll be able to watch the sun together for real!"

Sojin smiled and nodded, then a bell rang, meaning it was dinner for everyone. Everyone but Sojin who had to stay in her room.

"You'll come back, won't you?" Sojin asked as Hyeri got up.

Hyeri nodded. "Of course, Sojin-ssi!"

Sojin sat at the glass wall and watched Hyeri leave. Suddenly, Sojin felt angry. She wished she could go and eat with everyone else. This set off one of her 'angry moments' and she started hitting things and screaming, until someone ran in and gave her something which sent her unconcscious.

 

When Hyeri arrived back at her room, she looked through the glass wall and saw Sojin was missing. This made Hyeri very upset, and she started crying and screaming for Sojin until she fell asleep.

"Hyeri-ssi, time to wake up!"

Hyeri opened her eyes. She was lying in a bed. It was a very big bed, and Sojin was sat next to her.

"Sojin-ssi!" Hyeri squealed, hugging the older girl tightly.

"Today we're going to have a picnic and watch the sun on the hill!" Said Sojin excitedly. "Get dressed!"

Hyeri got out of bed and got dressed. She was wearing a pretty pink dress, and Sojin was wearing a pretty blue dress. Sojin had already packed a basket full of food for them.

"Sojin-ssi, where is the hill?" Hyeri asked.

"Come with me!" Said Sojin, picking up the basket. She pulled Hyeri outside and pointed to the hill right in front of their house.

The two girls ran to the hill and sat down together. Hyeri was snuggled up close to Sojin and they ate all the food whilst watching the sunset.

"It's very pretty, isn't it Sojin-ssi?" Hyeri asked with a smile.

Sojin nodded. "It's pretty, but not as pretty as you."

Hyeri leaned in closer to Sojin, and they----

 

"HYERI-SSI, WAKE UP!" A voice yelled.

Hyeri sat up quickly and looked around. Sojin was stood at the glass wall.

"Sojin-ssi!" Hyeri gasped, running over to the glass wall. "Where have you been?!"

"I was having a talk with doctor Minah!" Said Sojin. "Why?"

"You scared me, Sojin-ssi! I came back last night and you weren't here!" Hyeri said, frowning.

"I'm sorry Hyeri-ssi, it won't happen again." Said Sojin, then she put her hand on the glass. Hyeri instantly did the same.

"Sojin-ssi.. I wish that one day we can hold hands.." Hyeri said, sighing.

"Let's hold hands now." Said Sojin, sitting down.

"Our hands won't fit under the glass though." Said Hyeri, sitting down too.

"I mean like this, Hyeri-ssi." Said Sojin, sliding the tips of her fingers facing upwards under the glass. "Now you do the same but with your hand facing downwards."

Hyeri did what Sojin told her to, and for the first time in years, she felt what it was like to have another hand touch hers in a loving way. It felt wonderful.

"I never want to let go, Sojin-ssi.." Hyeri said quietly, looking at Sojin with teary eyes.

"Then don't let go, Hyeri-ssi." Sojin whispered. Resting her head against the glass.

They stayed like that for hours, not talking at all.

 

Meanwhile, the doctors were sat watching the CCTV cameras.

"We need to move them away from each other." Said doctor Hara. She was one of the doctors in charge of the unit the two girls were on.

"Why?" Doctor Minah asked.

"It could worsen their conditions." Said doctor Hara with a blank expression.

"I think seperating them would worsen their conditions." Said doctor Yura, there were a few mumbles of agreements.

"...Move Lee Hyeri to a different room, far away from Park Sojin." Said doctor Hara. "Now."

They waited until they were both asleep before moving Hyeri. They packed up all her things and carried her into a different room and left her on the bed with a bag of all her art supplies, books and pictures.

"Sojin-ssi.." Hyeri mumbled in her sleep. "I love you..."

But there was no response from the girl on the other side of the glass, who was now seperated from Hyeri by many concrete walls.