final.

Quiet

“Unnie, what do you feel like eating tonight?” the Canadian girl asked, peeking her head out of the kitchen. Both of them were the only ones left at the dorm since Joy and Seulgi had to film for Star King. Irene was never a picky eater. She just eats whatever the rest of her members decided to make her and Wendy thought that she should spoil their leader for once, since she had done that enough with her bear-like friend and their maknae.

 

“I’m fine with anything-“ Irene said, but her words got cut off when Wendy threw her a frown and folded her arms.

 

“Nu-uh, you have to say what you want to eat.”

 

“Is this that much of a big deal?” Irene smiled sheepishly, hugging the cushion on her lap tightly.

 

“Yes. It is,” Wendy tried to keep a straight face to intimidate the older girl but broke into a small smile afterwards. “I’m kidding. You never say what you wanted to eat though. I just thought that I should cook what you crave for tonight, the two kids aren’t here to complain about anything.”

 

“Hmm, in that case can we have spaghetti for dinner?”

 

“Oh?” Wendy quirked a brow, for all she knows the four of them had eaten some that morning. “Why spaghetti?”

 

“Can’t I have it for dinner?” Irene jutted her lips into a pout.

 

“Well, you can. I’m just curious since we had it earlier,” Wendy chuckled, her eyes turning into small crescents.

 

“It doesn’t taste that good. Yours is a lot better.”

 

“Oh? Is that a compliment unnie?”

 

“Yes,” Irene nodded furiously and stretched her arms out, playfully making grabby hands towards Wendy, her legs flailing. “Spaghetti please,” she whined, her voice had a hint of aegyo in it and of course Wendy couldn’t say no.

 

“Alright alright, I’ll go make you some,” Wendy was about to leave Irene behind but the latter was quick to shuffle on her feet, running towards the kitchen.

 

“Can I watch?”

 

“Is there a point in asking that when you’ve already made your way here?” Wendy smiled amusingly, earning a blush from Irene.

 

“Stop teasing me.”

 

“I don’t think I will ever.”

 

-

 

“You have to turn around unnie. I need to put my secret ingredient in for the sauce,” Wendy grinned as she looked over to Irene who had been peeking over her shoulder for the past half an hour.

 

“What secret ingredient?”

 

“It wouldn’t be much of a secret if I told you.”

 

“Meanie,” Irene squinted her eyes at Wendy. “Fine then,” she let out a small chuckle as turned her back against the younger girl.

 

“You can turn around now,” Wendy said, a few seconds later and lightly tapped on Irene’s shoulder.

 

“It smells good. I’m starting to get hungry,” Irene once again peeked at the content of the pot, with Wendy stirring the sauce continuously.

 

“Just a few minutes more and it’ll be done.”

 

“Alright then,” Irene beamed. The leader then wrapped her arms around Wendy’s waist, throwing the girl off her concentration for a bit but Wendy wasn’t complaining. She liked it in fact. She liked it a lot, that she was afraid the silence inside the kitchen would expose Irene to her erratic heartbeat.

 

-

 

“Seriously, a library?” Joy scrunched her face in disgust as she looked over to Irene.

 

“Yes, a library. Now go away if you don’t plan to stick around with a bookworm,” Irene tried to dismiss the maknae, along with the other two girls but one decided to stay. Just for the leader.

 

“I’ll stay with Irene-unnie,” Wendy said, slipping her arm around Irene’s. “There’s a book that I wanted to check out too.”

 

“You two really are spending your weekend with reading books?” Seulgi sighed, shaking her head. “I brought you out not for you to stick your noses into books.”

 

“You didn’t mention anything about that earlier,” Irene grinned.

 

“Let’s just leave these two alone Seulgi-unnie,” Joy tugged on Seulgi’s hand. “We could get them something to eat once we’re done shopping.”

 

“I’d like Taro Bubble Tea to go with that!”

 

Both Irene and Wendy said in unison and looked to one another afterwards, bursting into laughter.

 

“Got that. Two Taro Bubble Tea for this couple here,” Joy joked dryly, leaving her unnies behind as she pulled Seulgi along with her.

 

-

 

“So what book are you looking for unnie?”

 

“Well, I’ve recently found out about this author,” Irene replied, keeping her eyes fixated on the bookshelves. “His name is Haruki Murakami. I only read one of his works on my tablet but it was really good.”

 

“Why didn’t you download more then and read it on your tablet?” Wendy asked as she took a brief look around the library, and it seems to her that people these days don't really read in the weekend. The place is pretty much empty, except for a few people here and there.

 

“I prefer reading the real book,” Irene smiled sheepishly. “That aside, didn’t you say that you wanted to check out a book too?”

 

“O-Oh yeah, I am,” Wendy cleared up awkwardly and reached for a random book on the shelf. “I wanted to read this.”

 

Irene on the other hand, widened her eyes the moment she took a glimpse of the title of the book and Wendy wondered what was so surprising that Irene even had a tint of pink on her cheeks.

 

“What’s wrong unnie?”

 

“You have…an interesting choice of book.”

 

“Huh?” Wendy blinked for a few times and was soon embarrassed by herself. It turns out that she had picked a book from the Adults Section, titled ‘The Arts of Kamasutra.’ No wonder Irene was shocked. “T-This isn’t what I’m looking for!” she fumbled with the book and quickly returned it to its shelf.

 

“You didn’t really mean it when you said you wanted to look for a book too, did you?” Irene regained her composure and crossed her arms, smiling. Wendy had her fun in teasing her before, so it’s her turn to do the same.

 

“No…” Wendy could only hang her head in embarrassment, but took a peek the moment she heard Irene chuckling softly.

 

“Were you here just to accompany me?”

 

“Maybe…” Wendy mumbled.

 

“What was that?” Irene teased, wanting the younger girl to admit that she is in fact there to be with the leader.

 

“Yes, I am,” Wendy bit her lower lip and Irene found it oddly cute at the sight of shy Wendy.

 

“Hey, there’s also the comic section in this place,” Irene laughed, offering her hand for Wendy to hold. “Come on, I’ll show you to the section. I’ve been there before. We could get something for you to read first before we continue searching for my book.”

 

“Alright then,” Wendy nodded her head timidly, taking Irene’s hand into hers as the two of them continued to scour the place. It took them around an hour to finally find what they were looking for, and Wendy ended up reading a Marvel’s Comic in the end, with Irene having a Haruki Murakami’s book in her hand. Wendy couldn’t help but to spare the older girl a few glances occasionally, the girl looking graciously beautiful while keeping her eyes glued on the book.

 

“The book that you’re reading seems dark unnie. What is it about?” Wendy spoke up.

 

“Hmm? Ah, the guy’s first love in this book returned to him after getting separated for so long but he’s already married.”

 

“So, it’s a book about cheating?” Wendy frowned, feeling extremely displeased that Irene was even reading such a book. Why would she care though, in the first place? It’s not as if she’s dating Irene.

 

“Well, you can put it like that I guess,” Irene shrugged. “It’s more to his point of view in life as an only child, which is odd in Japan rather than focusing on his romance life.”

 

“Oh…” Wendy somehow felt relieved, earning Irene’s complete attention.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing,” she flashed a smile to the older girl, stifling a yawn. “I think I’m going to take a nap unnie. Wake me up when you’re done yeah?”

 

“I will,” Irene chuckled and patted her shoulder. “You can borrow this for a while, just don’t drool on it.”

 

“I don’t even drool at home,” Wendy snorted, settling her head on Irene’s shoulder nevertheless. “Thanks unnie.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

It didn’t take long for Wendy to fall asleep surprisingly. The latter tend to be sensitive to her surroundings so the library must’ve been comfortable enough for Wendy, Irene thought to herself as she watched the younger girl sleep with a smile. Or perhaps, the quietness that falls whenever the two are together plays a part in that. Irene wonders sometimes, on why the world seems to stop revolving whenever the two are together, just like this but maybe, she would find her answer one day.

 

-

 

Whenever Irene arrives at a new place, she would just look around in amusement, just like a little puppy. Everything is just so interesting to Irene, and Wendy found this trait of her to be cute.

 

“Did you saw anything that you like unnie?” Wendy’s voice startled the older girl who was already deep in her own world.

 

“Oh, it’s you,” Irene sighed in relief and pouted. “You surprised me there.”

 

“Sorry,” Wendy chuckled, giving the older girl a gentle tap on the nose. “I was just asking you whether you liked anything.”

 

“Ah, yes,” Irene scrunched her nose and smiled as she pointed to one of the shirts on the rack. “This looks cute.”

 

“Would you like me to get that for you?” Wendy hummed softly, taking a glimpse of the piece Irene had pointed at.

 

“Eh? It’s so expensive. I’d rather have you get me something else,” Irene laughed. “Flowers or chocolates maybe. It's already Autumn and I haven’t even landed myself a lover.”

 

“I can be your lover.”

 

“Really now,” Irene smiled and lightly pushed Wendy away on the forehead using her finger.

 

“Really,” Wendy chuckled, turning her attention back to all the clothing displayed. If only Irene knew how sincere her words were. The moment something interesting happening in the store caught the eye of the leader, the first thing that Irene does was to reach out for Wendy, putting her hands on the latter’s shoulder.

 

“Hey, look at that. It’s as if there’s two Joy,” Irene giggled, leaning in to whisper to Wendy.

 

“Oh god, that would be a nightmare,” Wendy laughed along with the leader, as she turned to look towards the direction of their maknae. Joy’s reflection and the position of the mirror made it seem as if there’s two of her peeking out of a room. “I love her but one can only handle so much evil.”

 

-

 

She didn’t even know how it got to this point, where Irene was pressed against her bed with Wendy hovering on top of her, kissing her gently as if the time is all theirs.

 

The two of them were left alone again in the dorm, and something just took over the younger girl to confess and do things she didn’t imagine herself to be doing in a million years.

 

“I love you.”

 

Her voice was small when she said that, but Irene could hear it.

 

She could hear it all.

 

Irene could hear the way Wendy’s heart beats the moment she said those three words,

 

She could hear the way Wendy’s breath became uneven right after kissing her,

 

And she could hear her own heart beating against Wendy’s.

 

-

 

“Will you be my constant?” Irene didn’t even know where she got the courage to even say such a thing to Wendy, things that she had regarded as cheesy before.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Yeah,” Wendy repeated once again. A smile played across her lips as she rested her head on the older girl’s shoulder, interlacing their fingers together. “I love you,” she whispered, loud enough only for Irene to hear. And despite of all the commotion going on outside of their waiting room, people coming in and out, the world seems to have gotten quiet for the two of them. Irene doesn't seem to wonder about it anymore, on the reason why that happens. For she, had gotten her answer.

 

“I love you too.”

 

 

Author’s Note – Now I can’t sleep after writing this. u____u The cheese at the end though. Cringes.