Distance That Made You This Way

Distant (But Not)

-1984-

"Omo! Yeobo... she... she's beautiful..." Park Yeoju whispered as she carried her precious little baby girl.

"What shall we name her?"

"Bom... Park Bom..." And Park Heowoo watched his wife fall alseep with the new Park Bom in her hands her thumb with an indifferent look. Not happy, not crying, just silent. That's how she was when she was born yesterday. SHe didn't cry when she came out of her mother's tummy. She stayed silent, and looked around the world with a poker face. The doctors thought there was a problem with her lungs but she was perfectly fine. 

We're gonna have trouble communicating with this child... Heowoo thought. He was wrong but so right.

-1986-

"Come on Bom! Come on! You can do it! Say 'Eomma'!" Yeoju continued to encourage her sweet angel that just recently started walking.

"E-Eommmmmaaaaaa? Eommmmma? Eommma! Eomma! Eomma!" Little Bom repeated 'Eomma over and over again, and Yeoju continued cheering.

"Our 2 year old finally knows how to talk."

-1990-

"Bye Eomma!" Little 6-year-old Bom waved good bye to her mother as she got on her little school bus. It was Bom's first day of school.

"Bye our little Bomie!Have fun at your first day of school! Make a lot of friends!" Bom gave hermother a gummy smile.

"Eung Eomma! Bye!" She got on the bus and faced a lot of other children her age. She took a deep breath and smiled widely.

"Hello everybody! I am Park Bom, I am 6 years old, and I am new here! This is my first day of school! Let's be friends!" Bom introduced herself and smiled widely the entire time. She then went to the very back, far left corner and sat down, her smile never leaving her. As soon as she sat down, many students moved to sit near her.

"Oh hello everyone! Let's be friends!"

"Nae!" They all yelled. Behind, their teacher smiled. This year will be great.

-1995-

Bom woke up from sleep from thirst. As she passed by her parents room to go to the kitchen to fetch some water, when she stopped by her parent's door.

"Yeobo... So about the child... are we gonna...?"

"Hon, I want to adopt this time. Are you ok with that?"

"As long as you are happy my Yeoju."

Bom went back to her room as she was not thirsty anymore. No, she was thinking too much.

-1996-

"Eomma! I'm back from school! First day of middle school was difficult but I think I can mana-Eomma?" Bom could hear her mother but she was nowhere to befound. So, Bom gave up and walked to her room, to find her mother and another child. 

"E-eomma? Who... who is this?" Bom carefully asked.

"This is just a child of a friend of mine that asked me to take care of for today." Is was Bom wished she would reply with. But she didn't. Instead,

"Bom... I want to introduce you to your new younger sister... Gong-ah. No, she is not Gong Minzy anymore, she is Park Minzy. Meet Park Minzy, she is your new little sister. I'm sure you'll get along well because you get along well with everyone." Bom just stood there, her smile long gone. She stood there frozen, until she whispered

"Right. Sister. Can I... can I rest alone a bit? I'm... kind of tired from school today." Yeoju looked at Bom weirdly, but let it go. 

"Alright. I'll be downstairs in the living room with Minzy."

"Um, Mother?" Yeoju, shocked that Bom called her formally, slowly turned around.

"Yes?"

"What's our age difference?" Bom looked disinterested but seemed forced to ask.

"Ten... ten years..." Yeoju suddenly wanted to leave because of the dark aura she felt from Bom.

"I'll... I'll be leaving now."

Bom never showed her beautiful smile after that, stopped socializing, instead kept studying to achieve her goal: the boss director of a huge successful company.

-2001-

"Bom Unnie!! Look look!! I got an A on my spelling test! Aren't you proud?" Minzy jumped up and down. Bom was the first she told.

Bom didn't even look. She kept doing homework. She was in her junior year after all. The year where SATs come up.

"Hmm." Minzy pouted a little but brightened again.

"You'll look at it later right?" Bom still didn't look up.

"Hmm." Minzy pouted again. She never got an answer other than 'Hmm'. And she never saw her older sister smile or laugh before. She's weird.

-2003-

"Unnie... did you hear..."

Bom doesn't look up. She knows what Minzy's gonna say.

"Hmm."

"Eomma... and Appa... they, they... they died."Minzy whispered the last part. As precious their parents were to Bom, they were equally precious to Minzy.

And Bom knew that.

"Hmm."

"Unnie... I... Our parents... they... I can't live without them... but they... they left us alone... they died." Bom didn't look, but heard Minzy squated down and started crying again. Bom still didn't care. 

"Hmm." Minzy looked up. How can she be so calm when her REAL parents died? I'm here crying my off even though they aren't my REAL parents. Minzy stood up, and walked out of Bom's room.

"The... funeral is at 9 AM tomorrow..."

"Hmm." And Minzy closed the door. Bom finally looked up. And slowly, a single tear came rolling down her cheek.

-2003-

"...here lies Mr. and Mrs. Park, for their eternal peaceful rest." Minzy is bawling her eyes out again, hugging Yeoju's and Heowoo's picture tightly. Everyone-their relatives, friends-look at her with sad eyes, but a few look at Bom, who's standing in the back corner, blank face, no emotion visibly shown. Just standing there, her hands together in front, not even a single tear shown. Not even a hint of sadness shown. Nothing.

"Bom... it's your parents that passed away... aren't you sad? Didn't you love them?" Bom just turns around and looks straight at the speaker's eyes with cold expression.

However.

"Hmm." and she walks away.

-2008-

Minzy goes to check the mail as she always does, everyday. She goes through the mail to see if there is anything for her, when she spots a letter from the highschool she applied to. Excited, she runs inside and throws everything onto the table, not noticing the other letter addressed to her, but with no return address.

Minzy quickly opens her envelope and her smile just gets bigger. She got accepted. Pumping her fists up,

'YESS!!" She runs to Bom's room who which is studying quietly for the upcoming test. She really needs to pass this final exam to get her business major.

Minzy slams the door open and squeals loud enough for Bom to wince. Slightly. Barely enough to notice.

"Omg! Unnie! GUess what I can't believe it guess what?" Before Bom can answer with her usual 'Hmm.' Minzy squeals again.

"Omg Unnie I got accepted to the highschool ranked top ten in Korea! I can't believe it! I'm so happy!" Minzy continues to jump around and squeal in Bom's room, almost loud enough to miss Bom's blank

"Hmm." But she catches it. And quickly walks out the room.

"Just... the fee will be a lot... I can go to the town highschool if you want..." Minzy quietly says before closing the door. 

"Hmm."

"Ok then... I'm gonna... I'm gonna accept the highschool..." 

"Hmm." And Minzy leaves.

So you tell me about your acceptance to your highschool but you don't ask about how I did for the interview for the business job? Why bother telling me everything if you're not gonna listen to me? This is why I don't talk to you.

-2008-

*ring* *ring* *ri-*

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Bom-ssi?"

"Yes...? Who may you be?"

"Hello I am the secretary of the business you have interviewed for, I have some wonderful news for you. We have accepted you to be our new intern, we know you interviewed for the director position but we can't work like that. You have to work your way up. You understand right?" Bom's just happy that she got accepted.

"Yes, thank you. I will be right there on Monday. THank you. Good bye." *click* 

Bom just got into a business, right after she graduated. Booyah.

Now she just has to work hard to get to director position, and then someday, Boss Director. Boom shakalaka. Perfect.

-2011-

"Hello, this team will finally have a director! She is young and smart, and she will be perfect for the director position. Please welcome Park Bom!" The secretary who broke the news to her getting accepted, moving positions up, and now getting director position, announced Bom as the new director of this team.

"Hello, I am Park Bom, new director of this team, I will work hard for this team. FIghting!" Bom says quietly but with enthusiasm. The team members cheer. Even the intern.

"Well then! Let's get back to work! I will be looking forward to this team's improvements now! GOod luck everyone!" and the secretary of good luck walked away. Bom walked into her new office. She got a call.

"Hmm."

"Unnie! I need money for the school fee, you haven't payed for this month! Please pay for it! Thanks!" Bom stays quiet for a while. That conceited, little, adopted-

"And... also can you put more money in my card? I kinda... need more." 

"Hmm." And Bom ended the call before Minzy can ruin her perfect moment anymore. This is why she hates her.

-2012-

"Hello everyone! I would like to introduce you to our new CEO of this business, Park Bom! She started as in intern in the yeaer of 2008, but slowly-actually, no. Quickly worked her way up with the help of her smart brain, and now she has achieved the CEO position! Please congratulate and welcome, Park Bom!" The  secretary of good luck once again, announced. The team Bom was previously in cheered the loudest. Bom smiled. Bom hasn't smiled in a long time. Let's say, over 10 years. Bom smiled big, Bom smiled proud. Bom cheered along. She looked to her best friend, and she smiled back and gave her a thumbs up. The secretary of good luck.

"Ah! SInce Bom-ssi was our previous director let's have a celebration party, with HANWOO!" And everyone cheered louder. Bom,... Bom. Bom... laughed. She laughed. This, was the first time anyone in the business company has ever seen Bom smile or laugh. And it made them happier because Bom became so much more beautiful and bright, just by one smile and laugh. The workers all still watied for Bom's answer though.

"Yes! Let's go out tonight all together and have a nice dinner! I'll pay!" They all cheered and left work early for the party. Bom ended up paying only half of it, but she went home with a content smile. 

Bom entered her home, a big two-story home all to herself. Bom went upstairs to brush her teeth when she got a call.

"Hmm."

"Unnie! Guess what?" Minzy called, from her dorm in highschool.

"Hmm."

"Unnie! I can't believe it! I got accepted to Seoul University! Omg I'm so excited!" Bom felt bad. Minzy will be going to the same school as she did. Good thing she's going on a different major, and it's not business department; she's going to law school department. Bom didn't like the idea of Minzy going to the same school she did. And what's the point in telling her when she knows what her answer will be?

"Hmm."

"Unnie... you're happy for me right? I'm going to the same school as you!" Happy for you my , Bom just didn't care at all.

"Hmm." And Bom hung up. What's more to say? The main point came out and that's what's important.

-2012-

"Unnie! Thanks for letting me move in with you! Where's my room?" Minzy walked into Bom's big house and gawked at it. So this is the result of being CEO.

"Hmm." Bom quietly led Minzy to her room, the room in the far right corner in the 1st floor.

"Thanks a lot Bom unnie! Oh and also where's your room? Just in case of an emergency I might need to go to your room so that's why I'm asking." Bom says nothing but walks away, motioning for Minzy to follow her with her hand. Minzy says nothing and follows.

Bom leads Minzy to the room in the far left corner in the 2nd floor.

"Ah, it's so far away from my room! It's like in the opposite side of the house! Is it ok if i move to a room that's closer?" Bom just glares at Minzy but doesn't say anything. Minzy gulps.

"I'll take that as a no. Thanks again for letting me stay! And also for paying for my college fees so that I have no student loans. You're the best!" 

"Hmm." Bom nods and enters her room. She only did this for a good image in her business. A good CEO should be good to her sister. 'Good'. At least she doesn't completely give her the cold shoulder.

-2013-

Bom goes home after a tiring day at work of meetings and presentations and what not. She brushes her teeth and changes quickly and literally jumps into bed. She is about to sleep when she hears the front door closing. Ah, Minzy must be home now. Sometimes, Bom wonders why she must always be so cold to Minzy. Sometimes, she wants to talk to Minzy about her problems and stress at work, she wants to talk to Minzy as a caring sister. Tonight is no different. Except for one thing. Tonight, Bom decides she'll talk to Minzy tomorrow and apologize for her behavior. Tomorrow, she'll act as how a normal caring sister would. And  with that last thought Bom fell asleep.

Bom was going home from work when she saw a dead body in the middle of the street. She looked around to see if anyone was there and why this body is here and why there is no police here. SHe realized there was none because there was no one there except Bom and the dead body. The body ha obviously beed hit by a car. The body's face was covered with hair, and Bom moved the hair, just because she felt like she had to. But when she moved the hair, it was the last person Bom wanted to see at the moment.

It was Minzy.

"No!" Bom woke up from the nightmare.

"Oh, it was just a dream. Minzy's ok. Minzy's alive. But Bom can't get that bad feeling off her shoulder. It must be from the dream. Bom takes a quick shower and gets dressed for work.

Bom walks downstairs to get a small breakfast before going to work, when she sees food on the table with a note next to the food.

Unnie! I made food for you today because you seemed so tired yesterday! I know because i accidently went into your room yesterday while I was looking for something. I'm sorry it was on accident! But, hope you eat this and have a better day at work today! Fighting!

--Park(Gong) Minzy

Bom smiled, and at the breakfast. She smiled brighter; it was good. Bom decided to texg Minzy and ask if they can eat lunch together today. That'd be the time she talks with Minzy. Taking out her phone, Bom texted Minzy.

To: Minzy

Hey, want to eat lunch together at -------- today? I'm free at 12:30

Bom got an answer right away. Bom chuckles. This kid.

To: Bom unnie

Yes! I would love to! I'll meet you there at 12:30! 

Bom smiled. She quickly finished her wonderful breakfast made by her sister and left for work with a pleased smile. But she still couldn't get that nagging feeling that something wrong will happen.

The entire day Bom couldn't focus on her work. That dream she had last night. Was that supposed to mean something? Bom still couldn't get the bad feeling off.

-12:30-

*riing* *riing* 

"Unnie! I'm almost there! Sorry I'm a bit late, class ended a bit later than normal."

"Hmm." Minzy's heart dropped a little that Bom still wouldn't talk to her when

"I'll be waiting." Minzy's already bright smile grew more bouyant. She finally heard her sister's voice for the first time since she was adopted.

"I'm so excited even though it's just a lunch I'll be right ther-"

*crash*

Minzy was no longer talking. This worried Bom.

"Minzy? Minzy? Minzy answer me! Minzy! MINZY!" By now Bom was yelling, causing everyone in the restaurant to stare at her. But she could care less. Her sister is in danger.

She immediately ran out and started to go to the route that goes to Seoul University. She reaches an empty road, with on body laying in the middle of the road.

There was no one there, except the body.

"No..." Bom whispered. "No. No. NO!" She ran towards the body and removed the hair from it's face.

Minzy.

Immediately Bom called 911.

-10-

The doctors came out of the emergency room with sulen faces. Bom knew what happened, but she stayed hopeful either way. For any kind of news other than Minzy is dead. But of course, luck was not on her side.

"We apologize, we have done everything possible, but, we are sorry." Bom didn't say anything, just nodded.

Bom arrived home and went straight to bed. She didn't bother to wash off, didn't bother to change. She just went straight to bed.

Bom walked around her neighborhood. Strange. She was back at the empty road. Why is this road always empty anyway? She continued to walk and look around, but she had an odd feeling that someone was following her. She turned around, but there was n one there. Bom just shrugged and kept walking. Where was she walking anyway? Bom shook her head when she felt something touch her shoulder. She froze. Last she checked the road was empty. Bom stayed still for 5 seconds until she felt the hand start to let go of her. Right away she turned around and grabbed the hand.

'Wait!" When Bom fully turned around, she saw Minzy. "Minzy-ah!" Minzy smiled. Bom finally called her name. She finally said it.

"Unnie..."

"Minzy-ah..." Bom tried to stop the tears threatening to fall, but she couldnt hold it. She collapsed on Minzy, crying.

"Minzy-ah! I... I'm so sorry for being a terrible sister, I'm sorry for being so cold towards you, I'm so sorry for rejecting you as my sister, my precious sister... I'm sorry for not spending time with you! I apologize for never congratulating you with your achievements... Minzy-ah... I'm so sorry..." Bom kept apologizing over and over again while crying on Minzy's shoulder. Minzy patted Bom's back, and whispered comforting words. When Bom clamed down a bit, she released herself from the hug.

"But, why are you here anyway? I thought... aren't you... you're supposed to be dead!" Minzy just keeps smiling. 

"I came to show you something." Bom looked at her confused. Minzy just motioned for her to look at the road. There was Minzy there, talking on the phone excitedly.

"Was this... was this yesterday?" Bom carefully asks. Minzy slowly nodded. Bom kept watching the scene.

Minzy was in the middle of the empty street when a huge truck came speeding towards Minzy in an ungodly rate. Bom watched the tragic episode as Minzy had a last look of horror as she finally saw the truck one second before it hit her. Minzy went flying, her phone too. The truck kept going as if nothing happened. Bom looked on in horror. Minzy hit the ground, and Bom could literally hear Minzy's head cracking open and all her bones breaking. Bom winced. She turned to look at Minzy. Minzy just kept staring at the happening with no expression. Bom turned back around. Minzy just layed there, lifeless. Nothing moved for about another minute until she saw herself running to Minzy and taking out her own phone to call 911. Then the two individuals disappeared. Bom looked back at Minzy still garbled.

"Wait, why did you show me this?" Minzy didn't look at Bom. She just kept looking forward with a blank face.

"Two reasons. One, I wanted to see how you cared for me, I just wanted to prove to myself that you actually cared for me. And, two, I wanted to show you this." Minzy walked over to the grass area next to the sidewalk. She seemed to be picking something up. She got up, and walked back to Bom. She took Bom's hand and put something in it.

"Here, read this after the funeral. Don't read this right away. Read this before your time comes. You'll know when to read it." Bom looks at what Minzy gave her. It was her phone. It wasn't cracked, or broken, or anything. It was good as new. Bom looked up. Minzy was fading away.

"Minzy-ah, are you leaving?" Minzy gave a sad smile.

"I'm glad I got to hear your voice one last time before I leave. Goodbye unnie, and remember, don't read it until your time comes. Thanks, Unnie, for not ignoring me to the end." Minzy kept fading away, her voice becoming softer and softer.

"No, don't leave yet. Minzy-ah! Don't leave me! What do you mean I'll know? What do you mean when my time comes?" Bom screams at the barely visible Minzy.

"You'll know." And Minzy was gone.

"No! Don't leave Minzy!" Bom sat up screaming. It was a dream... but it felt so real... wait. The phone! Bom checked her hand, and it held the phone. She wanted to look at it so bad, but she didn't. She wanted to keep Minzy's promise. And she did.

-2070-

Bom retired her job 2 years ago, now 86 years old, living alone, still in her huge mansion. Still with no maids, no family, still in her room, upstairs, in the far right corner. With nothing, except Minzy's phone, which she still hasn't checked. But tonight, she will. Because her time has come. Her time to be with Minzy. Her time to be with her parents. She looks at the phone in her hands, and turns it on. The lock screen was a picture of them together, Bom was forced to smile that time. She smiled for real this time, remembering. She looked at the picture for a bit more, and that's when she noticed the message on the top of the picture.

Go to the S memo and click on the latest memo.

Bom followed the instructions and clicked the S Memo. She pressed on the latest memo.

Hey Unnie! By the time you read this, your time is probably near! Very near! Know why? This is what makes you join us! How? I can't tell you~

Well, I just wanted to thank you for letting me hear your voice before I left! And also showing that you care for me~

You thought this would be something important right? Well, before you come join us, can you go to my room, and just sit there, just sit there and think about me before you come to us? That's my last wish, for you to have your last moment with me, in my room, thinking about me. 

Well, thanks for keeping your promise, and see you soon~

-Park Minzy

Bom smiled. And all this time, she thought it'd  be something very special and meaningful. Actually, it was very meaningful and special for Bom. As instructed, Bom went downstairs-with much difficulty-and walked into Minzy's room, every step getting slower than the last. She sat down on Minzy's bed, and lay down. Instead of staying up to think about Minzy, she layed down, her last thought being Minzy.

Bom and Minzy were sisters. They were distant, but in their minds, they were not.

 

 

They were distant, but not really.