001

Next-Door Boy

Joohyun was sitting at the cafeteria in the hospital, while sipping her cup of coffee and talking to her colleague, Yoona, who was busily eating her food. “Are you sure you are full like this? We both still have a long day ahead, young lady. I don’t want to send you home because you are starving.”

“I’m fine,” the younger female assured her, while looking at the television mounted against the wall, and high up. The doed-eyed female turned her head and stared at the television for a second, before facing Joohyun. “I remembered that you were telling me before, about this male, and he is currently an idol. You said that you like and dislike him. Furthermore, you haven’t tell me the full details.”

Joohyun’s eyes were still on the television, as different idols appeared live on Music Core, performing their latest hits. “Mhm. What do you want to know then?”

“Everything between the both of you two. Like, why did you like him, and then, why did you dislike him?”

 

#1

5-year-old Joohyun was sitting in the middle of her room, playing with her dolls that were scattered across her floor. She picked up one of the dolls, and began to comb its hair carefully, when she heard the loud and noisy sound of a truck pulling into the driveway. Curious by the sudden sound, she rushed to the window side and glued her face to the glass panel. Staring hardly at the outside view, she easily spotted a large truck parked along the pavement, and workers dressed in blue colour uniforms were alighting from the car.

“Sweetie, what are you doing at the window?” a gentle voice called out to Joohyun, who turned her attention towards the older lady, who was standing at the entrance of her room, and leaning against the door. The young child then pressed her finger against the window, and smiled with a missing tooth at the front,” I think there are some new people joining this new neighbourhood, mummy!”

The lady, Mrs.Seo, then chuckled as she walked towards her daughter, and nodded her head,” Why not you head down and introduce yourself to them? I think they have a son around our age too. You should start making friends, and stop idling in your room with all these dolls. I have baked some cookies, so why not, you bring them over to the new family?”

“B-But I don’t know them,” Joohyu pouted, as she wrinkled her nose while looking back out to the streets. She then caught sight of a boy, around her height but perhaps slightly taller, holding onto a bag, as he looked on towards the workers who were shifting furniture and brown boxes into the house.

Mrs.Seo then smiled warmly,” I am pretty sure if you made the first move to befriend that young boy over there, he will be delighted to be your friend.” “He seems as if he doesn’t know what is going on.”

“You should approach him, and made him feel that this neighbourhood is like kind,” Mrs.Seo suggested, as she left the room and went down the stairs to enter the kitchen. Joohyun followed her mother behind, while pondering through her mother’s suggestion.

She then climbed onto the high chair in the kitchen, and looked at her mother,” Can I have a bag of cookies then? I want to welcome him, and even be his friend!” Mrs.Seo chuckled, as she handed her daughter a bag of hot chocolate cookies, and watched as Joohyun bounced out of the front door and into the yard and out onto the pavement.

Joohyun was still holding onto her stuff toy, Stitch, and her other hand carrying the bag of cookies. She then looked at the boy standing opposite her, watching her from far. His eyes were sparkling, and something that stood out even more was his pair of ears. They were pointed, and it looked cute on him.

Taking a step forward, step by step, she walked towards the boy and stopped in front of him. Just as she was about to greet the boy, another voice interrupted her,” Hello, young girl. May I know what you are doing here?”

Joohyun jumped slightly, as she turned around to see a lady around her mother’s age, carrying a small box and smiling at her kindly. The young girl then waved her bag of cookies in her hand, and bowed,” I am Seo Joohyun, and I live next door. T-This is a bag of cookies for you.”

“Oh my. That is so sweet of you. Yeol-ah, accept the gift and play with her. Be a good boy, and nice gentleman, is that okay?” the lady winked at the boy, before scurrying into the house. Joohyun then turned back to look at the young boy, as she leaned forward where her face was only a centimetre away from his. “Is your name Yeol?”

The boy frowned, and shook his head while peering carefully at Joohyun. He didn’t know her, and her actions were kind of cute, but intimidating. She seemed as if she knew him, but he can swear that they had never met before. “Then, what is your name?” the girl asked, and the boy frowned even more.

“M-My name is Park Chanyeol. Only my mummy and daddy can call me Yeol, not y-you!” he tried to explain, while eyeing the bag of cookies. His stomach then rumbled loudly, and he blushed deep red as he knew he just embarrassed himself of a pretty and a cute girl.

“Are you hungry? Here, try out these cookies,” Joohyun smiled gleefully, as she held out the bag of cookies in his face as Chanyeol accepted it with a soft ‘thank-you’. “So, your name is Chanyeol?” He nodded his head, as he stuffed a piece of cookie into his mouth.

Joohyun then clapped her hands,” I am Seo Joohyun, and you can call me Joo or Hyun. I’m fine with anything. How old are you?”

“Five.”

“Same here. I guess, we can be best friends then, Chanyeol!” she exclaimed excitedly, while throwing her arms around his neck, and giving him a tight embrace. The male stood there, his eyes widened and his fingers still in his mouth as he stopped chomping on his food.

Joohyun then broke the hug, and caught sight of the funny Chanyeol. She then laughed, as her heart quickened slightly. Shaking her head slightly, but still with a smile on her face, she then looked at Chanyeol,” I think you are cute. Let’s go and play.”

 

#2

More than a year passed by, and the friendship between Chanyeol and Joohyun grew stronger and soon, both of them were like best friends that were inseparable. They told one another their deepest and darkest secrets, and even knew each other’s birthmark. As they were 6, they had to attend elementary school.

Joohyun looked at Chanyeol, as both of them were sitting behind in the back of the car. “What happens if we aren’t in the same class?” she asked, slight afraid of the thought that Chanyeol and her will be separated. “That wouldn’t happen! I am sure mummy will arrange the both of us to be together. There is nothing to worry, Joo-ah!”  Chanyeol assured the latter, as he reached over and held her hand.

In less than fifteen minutes, both of them were sitting in the same class, beside one another in class as they looked at the teacher at the front of the class. They were cheering in the inside, but keeping a cool image on the exterior. “Now is your playtime. Do be careful when playing, and try not to get hurt,” the teacher smiled at the children, who ran out of the class.

“What should we play?” Chanyeol asked, as both of them headed slowly out of the classroom into the school compound, where the other kids were already chasing one another, and screaming in glee. ‘I don’t know. Shall we play ‘Tag’? The game where you always lose.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, and looked at Joohyun with a smirk,” Fine. Let’s play that, and this time, I’m going to win!” The other latter laughed, as she began to run away from Chanyeol, who was chasing after her. Joohyun kept turning her head back, and had never paid attention to the front.

Just as Chanyeol was about to grab her, Joohyun tripped over something hard and fell flat on the ground. She then winced, as she sat up while looking at her knee that had a small graze. Just as she was about to call out to Chanyeol, a deep voice snarled,” Hey, you! Watch where you are going.”

Joohyun looked up, just to see a group of four boys towering over her, and one of them hissed,” You dirtied my shoe, you stupid girl.” She then began to tear up, at the sight of the unruly boys along with the blood trickling down her knee. Just as she was about to cry for her mother, another voice butted in,” Stop it. Can’t you see that she is injured?”

A smaller figure shoved through the group of boys, while stumbling towards Joohyun in a clumsy manner. “C-Chanyeol,” she mumbled, while sniffing. Chanyeol then stood up in front of Joohyun, and stared up towards the boys. “I am warning you, not to bully us or else I will scream for the teacher.”

“Oh my, are you her knight or what, young boy?” the boys teased, while laughing at Chanyeol. One of them then pushed him slightly, as he tumbled backwards. “Ouch,” he grumbled, while glaring at them.

The boys then stuck their tongues out,” Stupid, don’t mess with us again.” They then sauntered off, leaving the both of them on the ground. Chanyeol then looked at Joohyun with worry, as he glanced at the wound,” Are you hurting a lot?”

“It is bleeding, Yeol-ah. Will I die?” the young girl asked, as tears rolled down her cheeks. Chanyeol then shook his head, as he stood up while brushing off the dirt. He then reached over, and lifted Joohyun up on her legs. “Come on, I will bring you to see our teacher.”

Joohyun then looked at Chanyeol, and asked again,” Will I die?” “You won’t die, I can promise you!” Chanyeol gritted through his teeth, as he glared at the group of boys from far. He then looked at Joohyun, and smiled,” I promise that I will always protect you, so you will never die, okay?”

Ten minutes later, Chanyeol was dapping cold water on Joohyun’s wound, as he cleaned off the blood that was oozing out. She then winced slightly, as he rubbed some medicine on her wound. Joohyun then looked at Chanyeol, who was seriously wrapping the white roll around her wound. Once he was done, she then leaned forward and pecked his cheek gently.

“Thank you, Yeol-ah.”

 

#3

As they grew older each year, they matured more. Joohyun and Chanyeol began to walk home from school, instead of their parents fetching them from home. “Did teacher give you tons of homework again?” Joohyun teased, as she walked backwards, facing Chanyeol, who was sulking.

“Jeez, stop asking me that,” Chanyeol grumbled as he waved his hands. He hates his class teacher, as she keeps on giving hundreds and hundreds of homework, but never collects them. “I like your teacher, she doesn’t gives that much.”

Joohyun then shrugged her shoulders,” Too bad you aren’t in my class, such a pity. Anyway, I heard that our school is hosting a play and that all upper seniors are going to be involved. Will you be going to watch them?” “Are you? Donghae sunbae-nim has invited me, but I am still thinking.”

“If you are going, count me in too,” Joohyun reminded him, who made an ‘okay’ sign. Just as Joohyun was about to turn her body back to the front, Chanyeol called out,” Stop!” Joohyun stopped in her tracks, while glaring at Chanyeol as she thinks he might be making a joke out of her.

She then hissed,” What again, Park Chanyeol? Stop scaring me unnecessarily!” Chanyeol then laughed, as he walked towards her, and bent down, surprising the latter.

“W-What are you doing?”

“Your shoelace is unknotted,” he pointed out, while reaching out for the loose shoelaces. Joohyun blushed a crimson red, for accusing her friend. “Oh.”

Chanyeol then tied her shoelaces together, into a nice ribbon-knot, before standing up. “There. All done,” he then looked at her, who was peering down at her shoes.

“Don’’t you think I deserve a ‘thank-you’?” he asked, and Joohyun shook her head. “No way, just because you tied my shoelaces does not mean you deserve a ‘thank-you’. Also, it is your job to tie my shoelaces,” she smiled cheekily.

Chanyeol was about to argue back, when a few water drops began to hit them on the head. “Oh God, it’s raining. Come on, we don’t have umbrellas.”

He then grabbed Joohyun’s hand, and intertwined his fingers around hers, as he dragged her behind him, scurrying for their dear lives to seek for shelter. Once reaching shelter, he then looked at Joohyun, who was slightly drenched. He then messed up her wet hair, as she grumbled,” Hey, Stop that. It is annoying.”

“Too bad. That was for not thanking me earlier. Anyway, we have to run home under the rain. We both don’t have an umbrella with us, and our mothers will kill us if we are late. Are you okay?”

Joohyun looked at the heavy downpour, and sighed,” Are you kidding me? I’m not surprised if we are both sick tomorrow, honestly.”

“Who cares? We need to get home, and then we shall explain to our parents. I’m pretty sure that they will understand,” Chanyeol waved his other free hand. He then looked out to the rain, and smiled,” Come on! Let’s go!”

With that, both children were running under the rain as they headed down the streets that will lead them back to their warm houses.

“See, what did I tell you? We are going to be sick,” Joohyun shivered, as she held the phone on her hand, while climbing under her thick covers. It was late at night, as usual both of them were having their daily night conversations.

Chanyeol then sneezed over the line, causing Joohyun to laugh. “At least I need not hand up my homework tomorrow.”

“Lazy pig.”

“I’m not. Anyway, did you catch any cold or anything?”

Joohyun then yawned,” I don’t think so. Your thick file did a pretty good job, and I feel sorry for you now.” “Nah, don’t. I have a day off at least. Hey, you are tired. Go and sleep, silly. Goodnight Joo-ah, and sweet dreams. Dream about me, I beg you,” he joked over the phone.

“If I dream about you, it will be me killing you,” she responded with a teasing tone before biding him a goodnight.

 

#4

Things hit the rocky stage for Joohyun at the age of 15, when her family began to hit down the uneven path. Her parents were arguing every single day, that leads to awkward and tense atmosphere. She has caught her own father cheating on her mother, with another woman. Joohyun respects and admires her father a lot, ever since young and think that he is a great man.

However, her vision of her father crashed in a second when she caught the messages between this lady and him. Joohyun didn’t know how to talk to her father anymore, she felt betrayed and she also felt dirtied whenever he father kisses her goodbye on the cheek.

“Hey, are you okay? You seemed to be heavy thoughts,” a voice snapped Joohyun out from her thinking, and she turned around just to see Chanyeol standing beside her, with a worried face. She then chuckled, while nodding her head,” I am fine. Just some thinking.”

The male then glanced back at Joohyun’s front door and sighed,” I want you to know that no matter how hard things are, do understand that I am here for you, and that you aren’t alone in this matter.”

“You sounds as if like this is such a grave matter,” she laughed it off, while grabbing his hand and flagging down the yellow bus around the corner. “The bus is here, and you promise to let me listen to your new composition. You better not chicken out like the last time,” she warned while dragiing him up the bus.

Chanyeol let out a low rumble, while the both of them slided into their usual seats. She then rest her books on her lap, while looking at her best friend, who was busy rummaging through his bag. Within seconds, he then fished out a piece of sheet with scribbled music notes, along with an mp3 player.

“This song is kind of like depressing, since I was not in the mood at the time due to our courses,” he made a face, while plugging into his earplugs. Chanyeol then handed the right side to Joohyun, who took it and plugged it into her ear. “What’s the tittle?”

He then shrugged his shoulders, as he pressed the ‘play’ button,” I haven’t think about one but I think you can write the lyrics for this. I mean, writing lyrics is your skill, and I’m pretty sure it will turn out great.” Chanyeol looked at Joohyun, who seemed to be in her world, as she looked at his score sheet while nodding her head.

“Do you like it?” he asked, and she gave him a thumbs-up. “Are you like out of love or what?” Joohyun teased, while winking at him. He then shook his head, while leaning back against the seat,” It was just the mood during that point of time, so too bad. Any lyrics so far?”

Joohyun then leaned back, while shutting her eyes and listened to the music running through her ears,” I do, but it is going to be super depressing. I don’t think you will like it that much.”

“How depressing can it be?’

“As depressing as the time when I broke down during my depression.”

Indeed, when both of them 14, they sat for their finals that determined their course when they are 15 and 16. Joohyun did well, but she couldn’t choose the course she wants, and instead, she had to do what her parents want to. At the beginning of the year, she was unable to cope with the stress before her, and her health worsens. She fell into depression during a certain period of time, and Chanyeol had to spend countless of hours over at her house to coax her.

The bus ride to school was then quiet, as the both of them sat there quietly while listening to the depressing music which connects the both of them together.

 

Chanyeol was leaning against his wall, along with his guitar in his hands and a pencil in the other. He then scribbled down a few notes, when a knock on his window scared him. Jumping, he turned around just to see Joohyun with teary eyes, sitting outside his window.

“J-Joo-ah!” he stuttered in horror at the sight of his best friend, while stumbling over his equipment as he rushed to open the window for her. Chanyeol then looked at Joohyun, who was sobbing as he held his hands out,” Oh God, what happened?”

The other latter collapsed into his embrace, while burying her face into his chest,” T-They are fighting again. T-This time, he asked for a divorce.”

“I am so sorry,” he whispered in a hushed tone, while cradling her in his arms. He then hugged her tighter, while patting her back,” I am so sorry, Joo-ah.”

Joohyun cried even harder, while sobbing in Chanyeol’s chest. “C-Can I stay over tonight? I don’t want to go home.”

“Of course, silly. Why the hell will I even let you go home in this state? Silly. Do you want any hot drinks or food?” Chanyeol asked, while peering at her with worry. He knew that Joohyun’’s parents were already hitting the rocky stage, and now, it just got worse.

Joohyun then shook her head, while pulling apart from him as she wiped her tears. “What are you doing?” she asked, while pointing towards his guitar. “Composing some sounds. Want to work with me on this?”

“Can I? What if I make the song too depressing again?”

“This song is all yours then. For tonight, let your emotions and feelings flow,” Chanyeol laughed, while guiding her his composition corner, while the both of them sat down together.

Chanyeol then looked at Joohyun, and smiled,” Joo-ah, this might be hard but do understand, that I am here for you. So, there is nothing to worry about, okay?”

 

#5

“Can’t you go to this college than your that elite-and-so-smart college?” Chanyeol whined loudly, as he watched Joohyun packed her belonging into brown boxes. She then rolled her eyes at her best friend’s childishness, while glaring at him.

She then hissed,” We had this talk before, Park Chanyeol. We agreed that you will go to your, and I will go to mine. No worries at all.”

“But we are so far apart. Like you are one side of the state, and I am on the other,” he grumbled while picking up a table lamp, as he tilted it from side to side.

Joohyun then sighed,” Look, we can still meet up on Saturday. As we had promised, I will go over to your campus and have a small picnic and head back on the next day. It is no big deal.”

“Fine, but I’m going to send you home first on Sunday, and your parents drive you back to your campus. Deal?” he asked, and Joohyun looked at him. “You are wasting your Sunday on me.”

Chanyeol then waved his hand, while looking at his best friend,” I rather waste my time on you than on some stupid assignment.”

 

Joohyun was on the bus, heading to Chanyeol’s campus while she talked on the phone. “Yes, idiot. I am on my way. Just wait for me along the bus stand there. There is a 99.9% chance of me losing my way, if you aren’t there. At least 3 more stops. Stop whining, Park Chanyeol!”

“Oh God, just start moving,” she hissed through her phone, as she lowered her voice when she realised that many of the passengers were staring at her. Joohyun then hung up the phone, as she looked down at the lunchboxes in her hands.

Joohyun gave a small smile, as she thought of Chanyeol’s expression when he realised that she had brought home-cooked food for him.

As soon as she stepped off the bus, a voice called out to her,” Joo-ah!”

“There you are,” Joohyun smiled, as she approached the male, who is at least a head taller than her. She then complained,” Honestly, you need to stop growing taller. It is annoying the hell out of me that I have to keep looking up to you.”

Chanyeol then slung his arm around Joohyun’s neck, as he winked,” You know you love to look up to me.” “Shut up, and move. We have less than four hours to eat and compose.”

“Damn. Come on, my dorm is just right there.” He began to jog quickly up the pavement, when she shouted, ”Aren’t you going to like help me with the food?”

Chanyeol then headed back towards Joohyun, and let out a sheepish grin,” I love you, Joo.”

 

#6

Joohyun was studying for her upcoming tests in the next few weeks, when her phone vibrated. Not bothering to pick it up, she left it there vibrating loud enough to annoy her roommate, Tiffany.

“Pick up the damn phone, Seo Joohyun!” Tiffany shrieked, while glaring at the girl from her bed. Joohyun stuck her tongue out, as she reached for her phone, and slide her finger across the button.

“What again, Park Chanyeol? You do know that I’m having tests in the next few weeks, and I am really stressed o- Oh. There is a concert coming up soon, and you are calling me for that?” Joohyun questioned over the phone, while sighing.

She then went silent for a second, when she replied,” When is the date? I will be there, just drop the tickets at my parents’ house, and I will head back this week. Also, I can’t visit you this time, as I am really busy. Sorry.” Joohyun then nodded her head and hummed for a few more times, before hanging up.

“You got yourself a date?”

Jooyhun turned around to see Tiffany with a raised eyebrow, and she rolled her eyes,” No, for Pete’s sake. Furthermore, I am pretty sure we both don’t have time to date one another.”

“But you like him.”

“So? He doesn’t like me back.”

 

***

Joohyun looked at her calendar back in her room, while sighing. The next day is going to be her first paper, and instead of preparing for it, she was going to attend Chanyeol’s concert. How awesome.

“Mum, I am going now. I’ll call you when I reached my campus later,” she shouted over her shoulder, while waering her sneakers. Closing the front door behind her, she rushed towards her car and boarded it. Reaching for her phone, it reads 6.24pm.

’45 minutes to reach. No problem,’ she reassured herself, while stepping on the pedal.

 

Joohyun stepped out from her car, while taking a good look around her. The venue was packed with students, and people. She then squeezed her way to the entrance of the venue, where she let the guard scanned her ticket. As soon as she entered the venue, it was noisy and she cringed slightly.

She hate really loud and noisy places, and this place just killed her mood instantly. “Joohyun. Over here!” a familiar voice called out to her, and she turned around to see Chanyeol’s older siser, Yoora, waving her hand at her.

Joohyun squeezed her way to Yoora, where she was standing with her parents. “Aunt, and Uncle. Eonine. Nice to see you’ll here tonight. Yeol didn’t tell me that you guys are coming.”

“We decided to give him a surprise, and of course, he doesn’t know,” Mr.Park shrugged his shoulders. Joohyun laughed, when the concert begins with the darkening of the venue.

Joohyun cheered the loudest when Chanyeol rapped, and she smiled. Shoutng with all her might, she waved her hand in the air, hoping that he spotted her among the audience.

She was in love with him already then.

 

#7

Joohyun stepped into her room once again, when she let out a big smile. She had finally graduated from college, and moved back to her parents’ house, where it is closer to the city area. She then reached for the brown boxes stacked on top of one another. Just as she was about to slice open the packaging seal, a knock was heard.

She lifted her head to see Chanyeol, standing from the opposite of his room, throwing pebbles at her window. Chuckling at his immature antics, she opened the window, and raised her eyebrow,” What is wrong? We just made a conversation like five minutes ago.”

“I miss you, obviously. Anyway, are you going to like start unpacking? Shouldn’t you make a farewell gift for me?” he asked from his side.

Joohyun’s face fell when she heard the last part of the sentence. During the concert back then in Chanyeol’s school, it was actually a talent concert for the students to get selected by staff from huge entertainments. He was chosen to be trained as a trainee, and this means that he had to leave and head off to his new career path.

“Y-You don’t need any farewell gift, stupid. You are just in town,” she tried to sound casual, but it sounded fake. Chanyeol then asked,” H-Hey, are you okay? Don’t cry just because your best friend is leaving. Don’t forget, we made a promise that whoever gets to become a trainee, deserved a present from the other.”

Joohyun then faked a smile,” I am not going to get any gift for you. Anyway, I need to clear up the stuff in my room. Catch up with you.”

 

Joohyun was standing along the pavement, as she watched Chanyeol loaded the car boot with two huge luggages, as he threw his backpack into the backseat of the car. He then shut the boot, as he looked at her with twinkling eyes, whereas her eyes weren’t that sparkling.

“Where is my gift?” he asked, while laughing. Joohyun then chuckled, as she handed him a letter. “Just a letter, are you serious? Yah, Seo Joohyun, your best friend is leaving, and all you have for me is a letter?”

She then shrugged her shoulders, while gesturing towards the car,” Your gift, I kind of hid it among your stuff. Have fun looking for it. And I still have two more gifts.”

Joohyun then leaned forward, and kissed Chanyeol on his cheeks,” Have a safe trip there, chingu. Also, give your best during the training.”

“And?”

She then hugged him tightly, as she pressed her ear against his chest. “Become a wonderful and famous idol that we will all know. Do your best, and make us proud, Yeol-ah. Promise?”

“Of course. A letter to you every single week, promise.”

Joohyun then laughed, while she broke the hug. “Okay, you need to get going before you get caught in the traffic. Send me a message when you have reached.”

“Also, Joo-ah, be the great psychiatrist that we will all know. I will wait for hear for your good news,” Chanyeol messed her hair for the final last time, before he hugged her for the final last time.

He then whispered into her ear,” Goodbye, chingu. I will miss you.”

 

#8

A year went by, and soon, Chanyeol was going to debut with at least 5 other boys as an idol group. Joohyun was staring at the showcase tickets in her hands, when her mother asked,” Are you okay? You looked lost.”

“Should I go for this concert? I have things on that day an-“

“Stop giving excuses. Sweetie, you need to stop running away, and also, you finally get to meet him. Don’t you miss Chanyeol?”

Joohyun then looked at her mother,” But I have patients on that day.”

“Stop lying to yourself. It might be your last chance.”

 

***

Joohyun stared at the huge banner hung at the front of the venue, with the big print of “EXO FIRST SHOWCASE”, and there were many girls already queuing up. Looking down at the ticker in her hands, it was a first-class ticket, which means she need not queue up.

Heading to the front of the venue, she handed the ticket to the guard, who let her in within a second. Walking along the route behind some group of people, she can feel her heart thumping. She was having different thoughts in her mind, like what if Chanyeol forgotten about her and he couldn’t recognise her anymore?

Getting to her seat, which is the first row right in front of the stage, she then sat down while looking around her. There were girls – teenage girls – carrying EXO’s merchandise, or fan-made banners. Joohyun made a small smile, at the thought of her best friend having tons of fans even before he had made his official debut.

Within minutes, the venue’s lights darkened as she leaned back against her seat while keeping her eyes glued to the stage. Joohyun watched as the emcee took his place, while previewing the VCR, that was being played on the large screen before them. As her eyes looked at each member, she was impressed by Chanyeol’s group. Among them all, a few members like Luhan, Chen, Kyungsoo and Sehun caught her eyes.

“And now, is the time you’ll have been waiting for!”

The girls began to scream loudly, as she cringed slightly, but still maintaining her view at the stage. Then, 6 boys seemed t ‘float’ out of nowhere, with hands behind their back performing their debut song, MAMA. Joohyun nodded her head to the constant beats, as she spotted Chanyeol, with his ‘ramen’ hair, along with same old twinkling eyes and his pointed ears.

“Chanyeol-ah!” she exclaimed, even though she knew that he probably couldn’t hear it, but it was worth it. Pumping her fist in the air, when he rapped his solo part, Joohyun can’t help but just cheer along. Seeing her best friend onstage, fulfilling his own dream made her happy.

Joohyun then watched as he showed off his charisma, and along, with his goofy smile during the talks, they just send simple, but yet memorable butterflies down her stomach. Staring at him during the talk, for a full fifteen seconds, she studied his features and realised that he didn’t change much, only his hair.

A sudden wave of mixed feelings soared over her, as Joohyun looked at Chanyeol, who had never once turned to look at her during the performance. She was happy, and also, delighted to see him, but then, she felt a pang of sadness. He probably forgot about her a long time ago, and also, he couldn’t had even bothered to remember her name, could he?

 

 

***

 

Yoona nodded her head, as she chuckled,” Isn’t that cute, like you and him and everything? It is like you two were meant to be together ever since then.”

“I don’t know, because it didn’t seem like it,” she shrugged her shoulders, while staring at the cup of drink before her. Joohyun then stared at the television, which was now broadcasting EXO’s latest comeback song, ‘Miracles In December’, along with the song ‘The Star’.

The doed-eyed girl turned her head to look at the television, and pointed out,” Hey, that’s him. Isn’t it? So, why do you hate him then? It doesn’t makes any sense.”

 

#1

Joohyun was running around, as 5-year-old Chanyeol sat by one side as he played with his child-sized guitar. “Yah, come and play with me!” she shouted out to him, who looked up and stared at her.

“Why should I? It is hot, and I don’t like to sweat,” he retorted back, while placing his guitar down against the concrete steps. Joohyun stopped running, while glaring at her new best friend,” Stop complaining, and play with me. I’m bored. Let’s play hide and seek. You shall hide, and I will find you.”

Chanyeol’s eyes lighted up for a second, as he asked,” Really? I can go and hide?”

“Ten, nine –“ she counted, while closing her eyes. The small boy then scrambled to his feet, while running towards the big oak tree at the back of his yard, and hid behind it, while listening to his friend’s countdown. “- two, one!” Joohyun exclaimed, while opening her eyes.

She then hummed a tune, while Chanyeol stifled a giggle. “Where are you, Yeol-ah?” she asked, while wandering around the yard and spinning around in circles. “Found you!” Joohyun screamed, while popping her head in front of Chanyeol’s face.

‘H-Hey!” he stuttered, while backing against the wall before turning around to run away. “That’s cheating,” she whined, while stomping her foot. Chanyeol then stuck his tongue out,” Too bad. You got to catch me, if not this game goes on and on.”

Joohyun then puffed up her nose, before chasing after him. However, just five steps later, she tripped over her own footing, and went tumbling into the ground. “Ouch,” she groaned, while sitting up. Chanyeol stopped in his tracks, while he studied her from the side.

“M-My clothes and shoes are dirty!” she cried out, while using her small fingers to wipe the dirt off, but only making the mess worse. Joohyun then looked at Chanyeol, with her teary eyes before looking back at her clothes.

Her best friend went silent for a second, before bursting into loud fits of laughter, as he pointed at her while holding his stomach. “Y-Your face,” he choked on his saliva, while giggling at the sight of his best friend. Indeed, Joohyun was in a mess. Her hair was messed up, with a few strands let loose. Her shoes were dirtied, and also, her clothes.

Her face were streaked with dirt, and her hands were grazed with soil.

Joohyun then ended up bursting into tears, at the constant laughing from her best friend, who never bothered to help her. She hates him, and regretted giving him the bag of cookies.

 

#2

Studying in the same class in elementary class, the two best friends were more than happy to hear that. As the both of them sat beside one another during class, they had been bothering one another constantly without fear. Joohyun will grab Chanyeol’s pen, and he will then grab her notebook and so on and on.

It was a normal class, an art lesson was being held for the children, who were all wearing lovey aprons, and smiling happily at the sight of the paint and the blank piece of paper before them.

Joohyun was focusing on her artwork, by holding a paint brush tightly, and pressing it gently against the paper while dragging it across. Satisfied with the mark she left, she then dipped the brush into the yellow paint, before making another same long across the paper.

“Joo-ah!” Chanyeol called out to her, and being the naïve young girl, she immediately turned her head just to come in touch with two wet liquids on her cheeks. Alarmed, she dropped her brush, while pushing Chanyeol’s fingers away.

Reaching up to her face, she patted her cheeks and looked at her own hands just to see one red and one blue finger. Joohyun then looked at her best friend, who was already laughing away. “Look at your face,” Chanyeol pointed out evily, as he clutched his stomach while laughing.

“Y-You-,” she stuttered as mixed emotions began to build up in her. Joohyun could not understand why her best frien had to do such a thing to her. Imaging her ‘ruined’ face, she began to sob with the thought that she was no longer pretty, and in fact, ugly.

Chanyeol widened his eyes in horror, as his giggling came to a stop as he looked at his best friend crying in front of him. The homeroom teacher rushed towards Joohyun, while bending down,” Joohyun, why are you crying? Calm down, and tell teacher what has happened.”

“H-He!” she cried out, while wailing loudly as she paid no attention to the other young kids, who were throwing her weird looks. The homeroom teacher then looked at Chanyeol, and then his dirtied hands, she then glared at him a second before embracing the young girl tightly.

 

“Joo-ah, I am really, really, really sorry for playing such a prank on you! I swear, I will never do such a thing again, so please, open up the door and talk to me,” Chanyeol banged against Joohyun’s room door hardly, while sitting down on the floor.

For the past two hours, the young boy has been pleading and apologising for his mischief, but his best friend seemed to bear a heavy grudge, and decided not to open the door, and to also forgive him. Sitting alone on the floor on the second level, Chanyeol knocked on the door for many times, but they were useless.

Mrs.Seo, who was walking up the staircase, chuckled,” I am pretty sure that she will forgive you by tomorrow. Why not, you head home first?”

“I can’t, and I won’t. I need to say sorry to her for playing such a prank. It was wrong of me.”

“But, you have been here for more than two hours. Do you want me to call her out?”

“No, Auntie. It is fine, I have to show her that I’m sincere.”

Mrs.Seo smiled while heading back down. Chanyeol then knocked on the door again, and shouted,” I am really sorry, so please do not be angry. Open up the door, and talk to me, Joo-ah!”

“Joohyun, I am really sorry. I promise never to d-“ Chanyeol began again, when the door opened, cutting him short in his speech. The latter looked up, just to see a teary-eyed Joohyun, looking at him.

He then scrambled to his feet, while staring at his best friend. He then hugged her, while apologising profusely. He promised never to make her cry again, but he did. He played another prank on her five days later.

 

#3

Heading on to high school, and throwin away their everlasting childishness, both teens decided to walk home instead of taking the school bus, to spend more time with another. Chanyeol was prancing around the streets, whereas, Joohyun was watching her best friend with an annoyed face.

“Sometimes, I really wonder how we became friends? You are like that, and I am like this. We are honestly like weird,” Joohyun commented, while giggling at the sight of her best friend ramming himself into the lamp post.

Chanyeol then rubbed his head, while pouting,” Think about it. Without me, your life is like boring and meaningless, and that, you probably think that I brighten every single dull corner in your life.”

“Obviously, no. Chanyeol, you aren’t that shining.”

Her best friend made a face, before his face sparkled in delight,” Do you want ice cream? It is my treat, and like there is an uncle standing there.” Joohyun turned her head to look at where her best friend was pointing : across the street.

“I don’t mind. I want the raspberry flavour wrapped in a bread,” she rambled off, while crossing the road with her best friend beside her. Chanyeol then laughed, while reaching for his wallet at the back of his jeans. “Sure, just give me a minute.”

He then jogged up towards the uncle, and placed his two orders. Standing by the side from far, Joohyun watched as Chanyeol fumbled around with his wallet, while placing the cash in the uncle’s hands, and accepting the two ice cream.

“Took you long enough to accept the ice cream,” Joohyun blurted out bluntly, while reaching out for hers. Chanyeol then lifted hers higher, as she frowned. He then winked,” I shall make it longer then.”

Joohyun then poked him in the ribs,” Stop playing, and pass me the damn ice cream before it starts to melt.”

“Fine, here you go,” he gave in, as he handed her the ice cream. Just as she was about to reach for it, he lifted it up slightly higher and smeared some ice cream across her nose.

She stood there, speechless while Chanyeol began to howl horribly during his laughter, while running away with both ice cream in his hands.

“Park Chanyeol!”

Let’s just say, their childishness had never faded, even though they are like this old.

 

#4

Joohyun admits that she likes Park Chanyeol ever since young, and her crush on her best friend has never died. But now, she felt like killing her best friend even though she likes him.

Moving on to college, and both good pals heading off to different colleges, they barely had the time to spend time together and pull pranks. Even though Joohyun will head over on every Saturday to spend time with him, it was never enough to make up for the time loss.

“I hate you,” she broke her words, as she caught sight of Chanyeol. Her best friend widened his eyes in surprise, as Joohyun shoved the lunchboxes into his embrace. “I really hate you, so much,” she repeated again, while glaring at her best friend.

Chanyeol then took a step back, as Joohyun shifted her gaze towards the girl beside him. Kim Yoonjung. She is Chanyeol’s current girlfriend, who he fell for during his first semester in college.

Joohyun looked at the girl from top to toe, and realised that no matter how she looked at Yoonjung, she can’t figure out why Chanyeol chose her to be his girlfriend. Furthermore, on the inside, her heart was breaking into pieces while trying to keep her tears from falling.

“You know what, I don’t think I have the mood for today. I am sorry, but I will leave now. I guess, today isn’t the day,” she sighed, while turning around to walk away. Chanyeol then frowned, while grabbing her wrist,” You just got here. You can’t possibly head back.”

Joohyun looked at Chanyeol’s eyes, and she just felt like breaking down. She can’t understand how can Chanyeol not noticed her crush on him, ever since young. It was obvious that she likes him, but he couldn’t seemed to get the hint. Furthermore, he got himself a girlfriend.

“I can. J-Just spend time with Yoonajung-ssi. I am pretty sure today is a good day for you both,” she replied, with her voice cracking slightly.

Chanyeol then frowned deeper,” Are you okay, Joo-ah? Are you hiding something from me?”

“No. Why will I? Sorry, but I really got to go,” Joohyun apologised to her best friend, and Yoonjung. She then broke free from his grasp, while walking away from the couple. Each step she took to get herself away from them, more tears began to flow down her cheeks.

Joohyun headed back to the direction she came from, while reaching into her bag for her phone. She felt sick, and she didn’t want to head back to her school campus.

“Mom? Can I come home for this weekend? E-Everything is fine.”

Joohyun sniffed, while wiping her tears away,” Mom. C-C-Chanyeol got a girlfriend. I am so sorry, but I-I can’t anymore. I-I am coming home.”

Ending the call, she quickened her pace towards the bus stop, where she thought of the image of Chanyeol, and she hated it. She hated him, and she wanted nothing more than to just kill him right there.

 

#5

“Park Chanyeol, I am here so please open up the damn door!” Joohyun shouted, while knocking on his room door. Turning to his roommate, Baekhyun, she asked,” What the hell happened to him?”

Baekhyun, who was busy applying eyeliner on the bottom eyelid, waved his hand,” He got his heart broken. Seems like his girlfriend decided to end things with him, when a senior managed to like ‘grab’ her heart. He has been in this state ever since Thursday. I couldn’t comfort him, and he wanted you here.”

“Do you have the key to his room?”

“No.”

Joohyun sighed, while facing the door that was looking at her,” Chanyeol-ah, open up. I need to talk to you, and I promise, that I won’t scold you or anything. So, please open up the damn door.”

She heard shuffled footsteps, followed by a click and then the same muffled footsteps. Joohyun looked at Baekhyun,” Sorry, but this might take a while. I might sleep over for tonight.”

“If you need anything, just call me. I will be in the next room.”

Joohyun thanked him, before entering the room. Shutting the door behind her, she was shocked to see the current state of Chanyeol. He was in a mess, a total mess. “What the hell.”

“J-J-Joo-ah,” he sniffed, while burying his face into his pillow. Joohyun then looked at his room, and at his wall where he had pasted a few pictures of himself with his ex-girlfriend.

“She is ugly.”

“Joo.”

She then sighed, while climbing onto Chanyeol’s bed, and patted his shoulder. “Do you want to share what happened?”

“She found this new senior treating her better with presents, and stuff and realised that I wasn’t good enough for her and dumped me.”

Joohyun made a face, but she then said,” I am sorry. Did you try to win her back?”

“I did. She said I wasn’t her type anymore.” Ouch.

“Yeol-ah, I had not meet this girl before, and I am really sorry to head such a thing. Look, if she loves you, she will have dump that guy instead but she didn’t. Also, there are better girls out there, way better than her, you can’t throw yourself to such a state because of her.”

“I did everything for her. I-I even composed a music for her.”

Joohyun then sighed, as Chanyeol sat straight up. “Will you even choose me to be your boyfriend? Take a look at me, and you can see that I am really useless.”

“I just want to smack that head of yours.”

“I am serious, she is right. I can’t even protect her, and love her properly.”

Joohyun let out an annoyed sight,” This is it. Who is that damn girl you have been crying for? Is it even worth it? She chose him over you, and this means that she isn’t worth it. She is a playgirl, so move on. There are tons and tons of other girls. If you don’t love her, you wouldn’t be crying here. Look,, a song might not mean anything, but it is amazing that you can do such a thing for her. Next, you aren’t useless. Stop that stupid thinking of yours, and look at yourself. If you ask me, I will tell you that I will choose you. You are a nice guy, a gentleman and it is really a joy talking to you and even being your friend. Look, if you didn’t know how to love her properly, you would not have wrote that song for her, and even cry over her. She is just the past from now on. You deserve way much better, so for Pete’s sake, please move on.”

“B-But-“

“And also, you can play different instruments and you are good at it. Stop putting yourself down. Secondly, you can rap and I’m pretty sure in this campus, there is at least a fanclub for you. She didn’t know how to love you, so just forget about her. That girl isn’t worth it.”

Joohyun stared at her best friend, and at that moment of time, she felt like she was probably going to be the next one crying her heart out. Loving Chanyeol is hard, and this just made it worse.

“I love you, Chanyeol.”

 

#6

Baekhyun looked at Jooohyun, and laughed. “I can’t believe that you’re here again.”

“Neither can I,” she groaned, while placing her purse down on the couch. “Oh, and congratulations. So, he didn’t chosen, did he?”

The male shook his head, while sighing,” I am sorry, but he didn’t.”

“Chanyeol, there is always a second chance, okay? Do you want to talk about it?”

There was some sighs from the room, and then a reply came. “No.”

“Look, I came all the way from my own school, so you better open this door and talk or else, you are seriously dead. Furthermore, stop that crying of yours, because it is honestly annoying.”

Chanyeol made no response, and she banged on his door hardly. There were some sniffs, and she sighed hopelessly. Looking at Baekhyun, who chuckled softly, she then knocked on the door again,” This is the last time, Park Chanyeol. You either open up this damn door, or I will never speak to ever again.”

“That is harsh,” Baekhyun commented from the side, amused by both of the teens, who were displaying such a funny friendship. “He needs it,” Joohyun replied, before saying loudly again,” That’s it. Baekhyun-ah, I’m leaving and if this fellow ever needs me to be here again, don’t ever call me.”

Just as she was about to turn around and pretend to walk away, the door opened just to reveal a swollen-eyed Chanyeol standing there, with a pillow in his embrace. “Don’t leave.”

“Finally, you rascal,” Joohyun hissed while looking at her best friend. This is the second time she seen him in such a state, the first where his second girlfriend dumped him.

Chanyeol then reached for Joohyun’s hand, and pulled her close to him while wrapping his arms around her,” I am sad. I did not get chosen, what am I supposed to do? My parents were excited for me to become an idol, but, I failed them.”

“Yeol-ah.”

“My older sister said that she can’t wait to brag to her friends that her younger brother is going to be a super idol.”

“Chanyeol.”

The male then buried his face into Joohyun’s shoulder,” My best friend thought that she can go back to her school, and tell everyone that her best friend is going to be famous, and help to queue up for them to get my signature.”

Joohyun broke into a small smile, when he carried on,” My roommate thought that we can head to the same company together, to compose music and have fun on the stage.”

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said sadly while watching the two friends. Through the months, both guys have bonded, and Baekhyun is Chanyeol’s second best friend, true friend who attended lessons with him, and even skipped classes at times just to compose music.

The taller male then sobbed softly on Joohyun’s shoulder, as she wrapped one arm around his waist while the other rubbed his back. “Chanyeol-ah, this shouldn’t be the period where you give up on your dreams and everything. Look at you, music has been your life ever since young. I can still vividly remember that when you were young, you always had a pencil and paper in your hands.”

“That was the past.”

“You always had a guitar beside you, no matter what. Remember the time when you compose this duet song with me, while I sing, you rapped. You are filled with music talents. If this entertainment does not choose you, I’m pretty sure that are hundreds of other companies waiting for you.”

Chanyeol wailed out loudly, making Baekhyun cringed from the side.

Joohyun then carried on,” This isn’t the time for you to give up. Instead, practise more and go for another talent show and get chosen. Show them what you have.”

“Do you really think that I can become an idol?”

“If you have the spirit to persevere on.”

Joohyun and Chanyeol stood there for a few more seconds, as the taller male calmed himself down. He then broke apart the hug, while wiping his tears. He stared at Joohyun for a few more seconds, before hugging her again. “Thank you, Joo-ah.”

Just then, Chanyeol’s phone rang and he broke the hug, while heading towards his table to answer the call. “Hello. Yes, I am Park Chanyeol.”

“Who is that?” Baekhyun whispered, while standing beside Joohyun. Both watched as Chanyeol’s eyes brightened up, as he started to jump around in the room.

Joohyun stared at him with a raised eyebrow, the minute he hang up. “They made a mistake. I am going to Seoul!”

“Are you serious?” Baekhyun questioned, while rejoicing with the taller male, as the both of them jumped around in the room.

The other latter stood there with a pokerface, as she looked at her best friend. “Chanyeol, don’t ever make me come down like this again. I hate you, because whatever I just said was useless.”

“Joo-ah.”

“I hate you.”

 

#7

Joohyun rushed to the mailbox, while stretching her hand to take out all the letters. Shutting the mailbox, she headed down back the frontyard to the porch, while browsing through the letters. As she scanned her eyes for her own letter, she spotted one immediately.

“Finally,” she whispered with a smile on her face, while entering her house. Mrs.Seo, who was busy preparing breakfast for the two ladies, asked,” Did he write a letter?”

Joohyun nodded her head, while placing the other letters on the table,” He did.” Ripping open the letter carefully, she gingerly took out the letter inside. However, in just a second, her face fell while she slowly put down the letter.

“Why? Is there something wrong?” Mrs.Seo frowned at the sight of her daughter’s behaviour.

Joohyun stared at the letter, and Mrs.Seo walked towards her while picking up the letter.

Joo-ah,

I am fine over here. Everything is going smoothly. I am busy, so this is just a short letter.

Yeol.

“Sweetie, I’m so sorry,” Mrs.Seo spoke, while wrapping her arms around her daughter, while rubbing her hand along her shoulder.

Joohyun has always been waiting for Chanyeol’s letter every single week, however, her best friend disappointed her. From every week, he only wrote a letter every three weeks, and each letter will always just be a sentence. No greetings, no feelings, no sincerity.

Whereas, she will always reply with a 3-paged letter, filled with her weekly activities and telling him how much she misses him, and wishes that he can come home for dinner.

But, no. He will write the same sentence over and over again. She is sick of this whole letter thing, that sometimes, she feel like giving up. Joohyun knows and understands that he is busy, but can’t he make an effort to write a long letter, half a page is also fine.

“There is nothing to be sorry about. I kind of expected it,” Joohyun sighed softly, while pulling apart from her mother. She then grabbed the toast on the table, and stuffed it into . “I need to go now, mum. I’ll see you tonight for dinner.”

Mrs.Seo then called out,” Your coffee.”

“Forget about that. Let it go cold, and wait for me. It should be tired.”

Joohyun then headed out of the house, as the letter sat on the table. Mrs.Seo picked it up, and sighed softly.

 

#8

“I’m home,” Joohyun called out, as she entered her house. Glancing at a new pair of shoes at the rack, she furrowed her eyebrows with curiosity, and slipped out from her shoes. “Mum.”

Mrs.Seo appeared at the doorway with a bright smile,” Sweetie, Yeol is here for dinner.”

“Oh.”

“Sweetie.”

Joohyun looked at her mother, when a familiar face popped out. “Joo-ah.” She looked behind her mother, just to see Chanyeol standing there dressed in a different manner. He was no longer the old Chanyeol, who wear simple tees with jeans. He is now dressed elegantly, with branded ripped jeans, and expensive printed tee along with a leather jacket.

“I miss you,” he smiled while walking towards her. Joohyun then walked towards him,” Same here. I’ll head to my room to wash up first.” She then brushed past him, as she headed up the stairs to her room. The tall male stood there, dumbfounded as Mrs.Seo froned slightly.

After diner, Joohyun was lying on the couch watching the drama series, when Chanyeol plopped himself down beside her. “What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing.”

“Joo-ah.”

The lady then switched to another channel, and Chanyeol sighed. “Look, I know that you are pissed regarding the letter, but I swear, I really do not have the time.”

That was true. Ever since EXO gained fame within a year, he barely even write a letter, and she, too, gave up on writing him one. Her letter will always be mixed with the other fans, and it was pointless.

“I know.”

“Are you mad?”

Joohyun shook her head. Her best friend then sighed,” I will write a letter, I promise.”

“Stop making promises if you can’t keep to it. I am sick and tired of hearing them,” she replied, while looking at her best friend. “I waited every single week, but there was no response. It is tiring, honestly.”

Chanyeol hesitated, as she added,” Can’t you see? You are famous, and I am not. You have more things to do, but I don’t. This is pointless.”

“Joohyun.”

She then shook her head, while facing her head towards the television. Just then, Chanyeol’s phone vibrated. Picking it up, he made a few ‘yes’, and he hung up. “I need to go back now.”

“Go, the front door is still open. I am pretty sure that it isn’t close.”

Chanyeol stood up, while grabbing his bag,” I am sorry, but I’ll make it up to you.”

“Don’t. I am tired of that. Look, during your time as an idol, there was not even a letter from you. Even if there is, it will only be just a sentence. Not a phone call from you either. Honestly, I am tired of all these. You knew that I call, but you chose not to return it. Chanyeol-ah, I am honestly just tired of this. I know that you are busy, and I understand that.”

“Look, my life does not revolves around you at all. You know that I am busy, so why keep calling? Why write letters if you knew that I won’t reply. It is pointless, and useless.”

Joohyun stared at her friend, who replied harshly. “As an idol, I have to please so many people and I am sick of it. So stop, you are annoying lately with all the calls and everything. Just stop.”

“Don’t worry, those calls will be the last time I ever call you. I won’t even write letters anymore. I won’t even call you. I am sorry that I have been a pest during the past few months, and I am sorry for disturbing you. It is useless, like you said. Then you stop making promised that you never keep. Stop all those too, I am tired of hearing it. See that front door, walk out and never walk back because you are busy.”

Chanyeol looked at his best friend, who was already b with tears. He then lowered his head slightly,” I am sorry.”

‘I don’t care anymore. Just go. I won’t disturb you ever again, I promise you that.”

And she kept to her words. Ever since he left her house on that night, she never write another letter to him again. She never called him again. Joohyun stopped all forms of contact with Chanyeol, and his number on her phone was just useless now.

She was sorry for being annoying, and disturbing him. Keeping her promise, she stopped.

 

***

Yoona leaned back against her chair,” Wow, the ending is pretty harsh. I can’t expect such attitude from him. Like, you are his best friend.”

Joohyun said nothing, as both of them stood up while walking towards the exit of the cafeteria. “Have you contact him ever since then?”

“He contacted me, he wanted to meet up.”

“Isn’t that good?”

The younger lady looked down, as she stared at her feet that were moving. “We are meeting today.” “Where?”

“Here.”

 

Joohyun entered her office, when she spotted someone sitting by the couch while playing with his phone. “I am sorry, that I am late, Mister.”

She hastily walked towards her table, where she was about to sit down when she caught sight of her patient and she froze. “C-Chanyeol.”

“Hi,” the male waved his hand in his friendly manner, while standing up. Joohyun looked at him, and he smiled with the same wide grin.

Joohyun studied him, and realised that he was dressed in a simple tee and skinny jeans. He wasn’t wearing any branded stuff or what, and his guitar was lying on the couch. “W-Why are you here?”

“We made an appointment to meet up. Did you forget?”

“No, but why here?”

Chanyeol looked around her office, and smiled,” Because I thought we can converse comfortably here.”

“Oh.”

“Look, during these few months when we made no contact, I reflected on my own actions and I realised that I am such a jerk. I treated you differently, and it is like we are no longer best friends. I was in the wrong, I chose my dreams over our friendship and it is a pretty messed-up move.”

Joohyun said nothing, as she looked down to her table.

“You are right, I am a jerk. I didn’t bother to return calls or write a letter sincerely. My job took up my whole attention, and it is like, I treated you like a fan. I am sorry,” Chanyeol took a step forward. He then carried on,” During this period, when we made no forms of contact, I felt weird. I am sorry for saying that you are disturbing me and stuff like that. I am wrong.”

Joohyun then said softly,” I am sorry too. I should have understand.”

“No. I am then sorry. I should at least return your call or something.”

Chanyeol took another step forward,” And I have been thinking about it. The day we meet, and till now, I realised that we have been through a lot of things, together. I realised that when you didn’t contact me, it is like something just hit me and it left an empty feeling. Joo-ah, I want to erase from the part where I became an idol. I realised that without you, I could not had made it to here, and treating you like this is horrible.”

“Don’t.”

“No. Lisen. I like you, and I love you. When I had my two ex-girlfriends, I thought about it and I realised that I was just using them to push you away, because I was afraid that my confession will mess up our friendship. I did loved the second girl, but when you came that night to comfort me, I realised that you have always been there for me. I treated you like a jerk, but you still care for me. I am sorry for being like a horrible best friend, and stuff like that. I made a huge mistake.”

Joohyun in a deep breath, and Chanyeol stepped in front of Joohyun. “I miss you, and I really, really, really like you. During this period, it just . I am jerk, and I am sorry. But I am not sorry for loving you. So, will you give me another chance? I promise, I will be different this time.”

“I-I-“

“I know, I don’t keep promises, but this time, I will.”

Joohyun looked at Chanyeol with tears eyes, and she leaned forward while pressing her lips against his. “I can give you a second chance, but just one thing, please live next-door, and be like the old times.”

 “Next door?”

Joohyun nodded her head, as she looked at Chanyeol,” Yes, the next door boy who I fell in love with at the age of 5.”

 

 


[ A/N ] so, I am done with this one-shot of seohyun and chanyeol. Whee. I hope you guys like it, especially xxgina_nguyenxx who had specially requested it from me. I hope that you guys can continue to support my stories, and also, me by just subscribing or commenting J also, I am pleased to say that I have at least ten more new ideas in my brain, and they will be coming soon. So please, stay tune :)

 

_insanegirl_