chapter 18

A Riddle Love

 

 

''Having a fun without me, huh?'' Jaerim walks shamelessly pass by us and take a sit beside Yongguk's seat that happen to be in front of my seat. She made a gestures to let both of us filled on the empty seat in front of her. Yongguk's leaving suddenly become the worst one. He got a call a seconds after Jaerim came and now he's going out, leaving the three of us, in this awkward position.

 

I walk slowly as I can to the dining table, somehow I feel a bit burden by the looks that Jaerim's gave to me. Jaerim sure know how to destroy my happiness yet I still believe that she's my friend. How kind of me. Nobody said anything for a while, creating an uneasy and tense silence. Zelo sits beside me as his face change into a frown one, annoyed by Jaerim's sudden presence, I think.

 

''What's for breakfast?'' Jaerim's voice out breaking the silent between us. She grabs the metal spoon and twirl it, making Zelo and me focus on her.

''Hm, not much just a sausage and a slice of garlic bread. That's all.'' He reply but his eyes fix on his plates, not too immersed by Jaerim's question. 

''Hyeri ah, why are you here? Didn't you forget about our little promise already?'' Her attention now turns on me. The angry yet sad eyes looking through my eyes, as she trying to tell that how much she hurts when she finds out that I'm in here. I was taken aback with her words as the memories that we've promised a long time ago pop out in my head.

 

Flashback

''Promise me something.'' She adds again without let me finish my words.

''Wh-

''Promise me that you won't fall for him because he's mine.'' She said again but I notice her voice now become serious than before.

''Okay.'' I simply said.

''No no, you should say that you won't fall for the person named Zelo.'' Is she really sick or crazy?

''Okay, I promise I won't fall for the person named Zelo. Happy?'' I sigh when I didn't hear anything from the line after my last words.

End of flashback

 

''Don't worry, I will remember those promise forever.'' I said, a bit disappointed with myself for agreed with the promise that Jaerim had made before. I shouldn't do this at the first place. Still, promise is a promise. I can't broke the promise right?

 

Zelo looks confused as his gaze directly land on both of us. He then fix his eyes on me, it seems like he knows the promise. Jaerim pursed in a self-satisfied smirk as she get up from her seat and walk to my seat in calm.

 

''Then, still wanna stay here?'' She whisper in my ear, loud enough to let me hear her voice. I turn to faced her and she's smiling but the smile she held on her lips no longer stick on her face when I let my voice voiced out.

''But what if I don't want to go?'' I said in a low voice, try to defend myself somehow.

''I already give you a warning right?'' Jaerim grit her teeth in angry but she doesn't let the conversation sounds loud as the talks still in a whisper mode. Zelo seems curious about our little conversation as he doesn't has a chance to listen to any of our words. 

''Ah, one more thing is I'm not teasing you, just a reminder of what you can't have.'' She smiles evilly. 

 

I swallow hard my saliva secretly as Jaerim's warning success in making me at loss of words. She seems serious this time when she spits that words out from . She then get apart from me and walk away to the front door. 

Hearing the sound of the door being closed, I let out a heavy sigh. I know Jaerim won't joke around this time. I set my eyes on Zelo, who was staring at me from the start. 

 

''Hyeri ah-

 

*Crack.

 

It becomes silent immediately as the sound of the chair suddenly interrupt Zelo's words. I hung my head down and get up from the seat. I set my eyes down to avoid Zelo's gaze. The sound of Jaerim's voice keep echoing in my head as it tell me to go away from here. It seems like this place is not belong to me but this place is hers. 

 

''I'm going home.'' I firmly state but deep in my heart, I feel otherwise. 

''Already?'' Zelo stands from his seats as well and his eyes never left me even a second. His eyes somehow telling me to stay. 

 

Nodding my head, I quickly walk to the front door but the intention to leave this place stop when someone grabs my wrist. I stand immobile for a second and close my eyes.

 

''Can you leave my hand alone?'' I said, sounding cold all of sudden. But the fact is, I feel hurt for saying those words to him. He knows nothing. This is all my fault.

 

A minutes passed..

 

But my hands still being locked with Zelo's palm. I turn around and pull away my wrist from him as I put an annoyed face. Please Zelo, play along this unfair game with me. Don't make this hard on me.

 

''I need to go-

 

My words stuck in my throat when Zelo suddenly pull me into his embrace. My eyes grew bigger due to his unexpected action. The heart that sedately beat becomes wild one as it's detect a dangerous and insecure situation but this hug in some ways..It's feel different, as if my heart believe in his embrace yet it's feel secure.

 

''I'll tell Jaerim about how I actually feel. I'm not going to hide my feeling again. Enough with this coward action, I will solve it alone so that you will not be sad or angry everytime Jaerim shows up and remind you about the stupid promise.'' Zelo said as he tighten his embrace.

 

I didn't said anything but I found myself in tears, though it's not because of the pain. They might even have been tears of joy. I never know those simple words can make my tears fell. 

 

''Are you crying?'' He looks at me with his concerned face. I shook my head slightly and crack a smile on my face.

''I'm not. But is it okay to tell her about that? I don't want to hurt Jaerim.'' I said in a low voice. The guilty feeling washed over me. Is this the right thing to do?

''I'm doing this because I don't want three person to get hurt at once.'' He said.

 

Three? But I don't mind to feel hurt when I know that both of you can be happy.