Secure

Safe

I missed you.

He carefully pushed back the little wisps of my hair. My heart inflated by his words and I sighed contently. I snuggled up closer into the crook of his neck, wrapping my arms around his strong build. He inhaled my sweet scent and he traced my shoulder blade with the tip of his nose. My lips curled into a smile as it sent pleasuring waves down my spine.

Yeah, I croaked.

 I missed you too. It came out as a whisper. I didn't want to break the sweet reverie. He pulled back slightly and I looked into his eyes. He gave me a small melancholy smile and pushed back a few more strands of my hair.

Don't cry, he whispered softly.

The pad of his thumb swiped a couple of tears that made its way down my cheek. It hurt because his touch was so gentle and careful. As if I was a precious porcelain glass doll that he'd cherish his whole life. I gave a light chuckle from the back of my hand.

I didn't even notice I was crying, when did that happen?

He caressed my cheek tenderly and I couldn't fight back the soft pink flush that made it's way to the surface.
My eyes darted downwards. Suddenly, I feel overwhelmed with how affectionate he's being. There's that look- that one look where he seems like he has laid eyes upon the most beautiful person on Earth that unnerves me.

Why?

It hurts and there's this numbing pain in my chest. His fingers travel to my chin before lightly tilting my head up.
I closed my eyes.

Look at me, love. He says in a soft whisper and I knew right there and then, if I didn't look at him, I would be the most horrible person on Earth.

I breathed in deeply, preparing myself to look at him. I mentally counted to three.

One.
I hesitated.
Maybe I shouldn't?

Two.
Oh god, I must've looked ugly with all the crying.

Three.
I braved myself anyway.

When I opened my eyes, I felt my heart stop.
He, the way he's looking at me is with all sorts of beautiful and I suddenly have to resist the urge to cry again. A small endearing smile makes its way onto his lips. He leaned down to capture my lips in a kiss. My eyes instinctively fell shut and I sighed into the kiss.

I really missed this.
A year was too long. Even for him.
When he pulled back, my lips stretched into a face-splitting grin by his next words.
I bit my bottom lip hard and let out a chortle.
A couple of stray tears escaping my eyes.


Marry me?