For: Taemininmypants

SHINee Secret Santa 2014
Please log in to read the full chapter
Prompt: School AU (bestfriends). They went to a gift shop and found an emotion ring and one of them tried it for fun. It changes to the color indicating "in love". Pairing: Ontae (Taemin x Onew)

 

A/N: well i hope you like cliche

 

Colorful

 

Taemin was an average kid who liked to dance and loathed math. But he took up advanced calculus as an elective for school because his Jinki hyung was taking that course. He may or may not have a tiny bit of a crush on the older male, but the way Jinki smiled, took his breath away.

 

Taemin came to know Jinki back in high school, when his childhood friend Kibum introduced him to his seniors, Jonghyun and Jinki. He found the male rather beautiful and his smile was brighter than the summer sun. He felt his heart skip a beat that day and he knew that being friends with Jinki would mean a colorful high school life.

 

Unfortnately for him, rainbow existed in skittles and M&M's but not in his love life because Jinki had made a promise to himself that he will finish college first before entering any relationship. So instead of his love life blooming, it ended up being Jonghyun and Key's that did.

 

But Taemin wasn't admiting his crush anytime soon because Jinki is rather oblivious to his admirers, and he prefered to be friends than scare Jinki away; He'll stay as his hyung's bestfriend and that's quite okay.

 

But that all changed, though, when they decided to go shopping on April Fool's day and thought of pranks to pull on each other. They separated when they arrived at a toy store and Taemin was over the moon when Jinki decided to join him in search of fart bags and zappers. They came across an aisle and Taemin regretted picking up that toy.

 

It was clear as glass and labeled as an emotion ring that changes color with your emotions. Taemin chuckled at the lame description and at the idea; who would fall for that cheap toy?

 

But Jinki thought it was cute so he took the ring from Taemin's hand and inserted it into Taemin's ring finger. The action caught Taemin off guard, making him blush, and the ring turned from clear to a deep red. Jinki was amazed and checked the box to see what the color meant, and oh boy, it was Taemin's nightmare.

 

"Look Taem, it says here that red means that you are in love." Jinki stated and Taemin laughed awkwardly.

 

"Don't be silly hyung" Taemin replied as he tried to take off the ring. But the ring wasn't budging and Taemin got frustrated. The ring changed colors to purple, a color indicating frustration.

 

Jinki was amazed, and seeing how pitiful the younger was, he dragged him towards the cashier. "I'll pay for it, you can try washing it with warm soapy water and maybe it will slip off." Jinki suggested and Taemin smiled gratefully.

 

Taemin tried washing it with soapy water but heck, it didn't do anything good. Frustrated at the now purple ring, he just resigned to his fate that perhaps, he'll just have to live with it for a while.

 

The ring glowed yellow one day, when Taemin watched Jinki play a piano piece for his classical music elective (which Taemin wondered why Jinki never majored in despite the skills the elder has) indicating that he was happy. Jinki saw it and smiled brightly, yellow has always been Jinki's favorite color.

 

And despite the ever changing colors of his cheap emotion ring, Taemin was starting to get immune to it; he liked it but he wouldn't admit it pretty soon.

 

"It's been turning red quite often, Taemin." Jinki remarked and Taemin forced an awkward laugh.

 

"It hasn't, hyung." Taemin replied and went back to his textbook.

 

"Oh Taemin, who's the lucky girl? Naeun?" Jinki asked and Taemin was perplexed; Jinki thinks that he likes girls.

 

"No hyung, I am not into Naeun." Taemin affirmed and Jinki dropped the topic.

 

It was a bit disturbing for Taemin because Jinki was becoming an observer of the ring which made Taemin both happy and anxious at the same time: happy because Jinki is noticing him more, but anxious because of the fear in Jinki's actions when he comes to know of Taemin's true feelings for him. But he pushed them aside because he needed to focus on the calculus assignment that he had been solving for the past 3 hours. "Let me help you." He heard Jinki say as he took a seat next to him and grabbed Taemin's pen and scribbled away. Taemin's heart raced a quarter mile a minute and his cheeks tainted pink. The ring changed color to red and Jinki looked in the direction of Taemin's sight. Jinki saw Taemin's dance classmate and smiled as he faced Taemin.

 

"Oh, you like Kai? You're into boys, huh Taem?" Jinki asked and he nodded.

 

But Taemin then realized what his response meant so he snapped out of his daze and corrected himself. "I do not! I mean, I don't like Kai." He said and Jinki nodded. "But I like a certain guy." He said and Jinki stopped answering the problem to face Taemin.

 

"Oh my gosh, and I thought you were straight!" Jinki remarked and then he continued to answer the problems.

 

Taemin groaned and buried his face in his arms, should he be relieved about it?

 

Ever since Jinki came to know about Taemin's sort of crush for a certain guy, Jinki became a curious bunny. He would constantly look out for the change in color of Taemin's emotion ring. He wasn't sure why but it had become a habit of his and frankly speaking, curiousity got the best of him. He once saw Taemin walk towards him with Kai tagging along and the ring showed a bright yellow. When they stopped in front of him, Jinki greeted them war

Please log in to read the full chapter