The first glance

Incurable

2nd of March, 2711

A loud patter of feet resonated through the subway station. Hundreds or maybe even thousands of people were climbing up and down the stairway but somehow she managed to spot her acquaintance squirming in the little gaps and holes in the sea of people, every single day. Fiddling around with the hem of her dress she blankly stared at her phone, expecting a message from her friend. The laser train was arriving sometime soon, she lifted her head up to look at the screen that was when she realised she was standing directly underneath the monitor.

 

Suddenly, a familiar husky voice yelled out to move behind the yellow line. It was the old man who looked after this stop. But that could only mean that the laser train was going to arrive any second now and her “friend” was nowhere to be seen. Scrolling up and down her messages, she bit her lip waiting for anything, a message or a call, anything to signify that her companion was here on the platform. The train could be seen, belting through the morning dew, its headlights piercing through the misty fog.

 

Without any alarm, the passengers standing at the front pushed back, finally listening to the train conductor. Life was always like this, everyone doing and pushing things to the very last second. It seemed to be the one thing that was common between every single one of the people standing on the platform.

 

Normally, she would have been able to step back in time before the crowd moved back. But today, she had thoughts swimming around in her mind. Just as the woman in front of her stepped back, her jaw dropped at the fact that she forgot all about taking her tablet but before she could gasp, the high heel stabbed her foot, a muffled cry escaped instead of a soft gasp. She questioned herself of why she cried out and why there was a weird throbbing pain. Pain? What is pain? The strange word simply made its way into her thoughts.

 

The people around her all gave her an uninterested glance but she sensed someone was looking at her with something she had never come across before. Something that reminded her of one particular thing she had read about in her great, great, great grandfather’s diary, who had fought in war centuries ago. She could not remember clearly what that word was but it was something that started with ‘e’. E-E-Emotio?

 

She pushed the strange squeeze she felt in her chest aside as her attention went back to her friend. It was normal though, no one would talk much face-to-face, “friendship” was made through countless experiments. The Friend Maker would find suitable people who were of the same social status as you. If there was a disagreement, the Friend Maker would simply switch your friend. There was nothing permanent. Everything was easily changed, no strings attached.     

 

Her black school shoes squeaked as she stepped into the stuffy carriage. She took one last look at the platform, trying desperately to find her friend. She knew all too well that there was not supposed to be any kind of attachment to your acquaintance. And she had never felt any unnecessary attachment before either.  She let out a little puff of air, a sigh. She nodded lightly, absorbing all the new knowledge. Pain, sigh and emotion. Finally, the word came back to her. Emotion.

 

Her lips curled up as her heart felt light. A smile because… because she was happy. She had never experienced these feelings or done any of these actions before. Still clueless and oblivious to why exactly she felt emotion now, she smiled happily to herself as she turned her head to look out of the other window. That was when she saw him. Park Chanyeol. A head taller than all the people around him stood an average teenage boy. Or at least that was what she first thought of him. She continued to turn her head to look out the window.

 

Expecting to see the skyscrapers and the dark grey sky, she rolled her eyes. But instead her eyes widen as she saw them again. They had come back for her. Her hands shook and her breathing became unsteady. With trembling fingers she rummaged through her bag to look for a tablet. None. Her airway was already starting to inflate, wheezes escaped as she desperately tried to breathe. She attempted to resist closing her eyes because she knew what would happened all too well. But, nothing could be done as she was pulled in and plunged into her dark, cold nightmare.

 

A shiver went down her spine as the wind blew around her. She gritted her teeth, trying to stay strong but she knew nothing would help her now. Alone in the woods. A tear ran down her cheek as the memories finally came back to her.

 

She had always been special, ever since she was born. She was never knew why but she was always reminded that she was irreplaceable.  Well, that was the case until she turned twelve. Her parents had been blunt about it. She had the Happy Virus. From the blood line of one of the two remaining pure human blood lines left. She was the chosen one. Every century, there was one descendant from every pure blood line that had the Happy Virus. The point was to restore the world, to reunite the world again, bonding them once again with something unbreakable, love.

 

But, the only way to do this was for two descendants to find each other and fall in love. The rules were complicated and it was practically impossible. For seven centuries they had always failed, never did two of the Chosen Ones meet and fall in love and the hope for Utopia only slimmed down every century. There had been one hundred and four that were kept safe and now there was only two families left. The very last chance to save the world.

 

As she shoved the thought away, another one popped up. This… this was the same place it happened. And it was all her fault…