1 Excuses

Excuses, Excuses

           Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The continuous sound of the clock pulsed through Kyungsoo’s body as he sat on the couch, the dark apartment cloaking him. It was 12:38 in the morning, and his phone showed no sign of contact from Jongin. He sighed, getting up from his seat and stretching his stiff joints from waiting for so long. Staring longingly at the chocolate cake, lathered with chocolate icing and chips on the counter, Kyungsoo slowly trudged to the table. “Happy Birthday Jongin…” he whispered, his tears painting the sweet icing. A flash of his phone stopped him amidst his tracks, fingers fumbling to check the text, wanting, hoping it to be Jongin. His wish granted, a smile started to spread on his lips, reading his boyfriend’s name on the screen.

“I’ll be out with friends tonight. Don’t wait up for me.”
                                             -Jongin

            His phone thudded to the floor, Kyungsoo soon following, sobbing, grabbing, pulling his brown hair in frustration. Digging his nails into the palm of his hand, he tried to remember the feeling of Jongin holding him, telling him it’d be alright. When was the last time they’d hugged? Kissed? Seen each other for more than a few minutes? He couldn’t recall, and it hurt. When did things become like this? Memories of coffee-colored curly hair flashed in his mind, a smile spread from ear to ear, eyes shaped like crescents from laughter.

I’ll always be there for you hyung.

A scream ripped out of Kyungsoo’s throat.

You’ll be mine forever and I’ll be yours.

Tears streamed down his face.

I love you more than you could ever imagine.

            Slowly lifting himself up, Kyungsoo dragged himself to the sink, washing his face and managing to wipe his face with a towel. Turning around, he was faced with the proud cake sitting on the table, waiting to be greeted by Jongin. Calmly walking to the cabinet to get a knife, he sliced two pieces, placing them on two plates. Gently sliding one to the spot usually occupied by Jongin, Kyungsoo slowly picked at the small slice of chocolate cake, his throat raw and searing from his earlier screaming session. “He must have an excuse. He’s just with friends, as long as he’s having fun, it’s alright, it’ll be alright. He promised to be home, but he must’ve forgotten, all is good, everything’s okay,” he chattered to the shadows dancing with the flickering candles on the cake, smiling as he convinced himself with false truths. With his newfound confidence, Kyungsoo lightly skipped to his bedroom. He’d talk to Jongin about it in the morning. He’d have a reason. It’d all be okay. It had to be.

 

----------

a/n: this was a christmas for my friend~ jesus i just realized that my stories were like really short wowie. anyways enjoy lovelies~