chapter 1

Crushing on my spouse

Lee Hyukjae, 21 years old, Music and Architecture major, Seoul National University.

 

He’s known as Super Junior Eunhyuk’s doppelganger except that he’s far away different from the lively Eunhyuk. Hyukjae is a living corpse – or that’s what they say. People always feel scared whenever they are near with Hyukjae. His blank yet sharp gaze is too murderous for anyone, his emotionless face can make people cry. He barely talks to people – other than his bestfriend. Sungmin is his his best friend for years already. He knows – almost – everything about Hyukjae. Yet, Hyukjae always shines wherever he is. He is very clever and famous at the university for his dancing flair.

Hyukjae was thrown away to the orphanage by his parents when he was nine, which made him become today’s Hyukjae. Being a little kid and felt such a betrayal by his own parents – it’s hurt a lot. Sungmin knew this story as his father was the one who adopted Hyukjae from the orphanage when he’s ten.

Hyukjae always feels grateful for Sungmin’s family for everything. For adopting him, schooling him, feed him, treating him like their own family – Hyukjae can’t be more than thankful but he’s really mad at himself for being so hard to show his gratitude. He always thinks himself as a burden to Sungmin’s family though they already say that he isn’t. That is the reason why Hyukjae always works hard for everything in order to lighten the family’s burden.

 

Hyukjae has always become the emotionless one.

 

 

Donghae’s Appa calls Mr.Cho – Kyuhyun’s father and one of the board members of SNU. “Yoboseyo? Ouh, Mr. Cho!”

“Mr. Lee, what’s the matter?”

“I would like to ask you a favor please.”

“May I know what it is?”

“I need the students’ list.”

Mr. Cho on the other line sounds confused with the request. Why would Mr. Lee need the list? “I will try to give it as soon as possible.”

“Take your time. Thank you, Mr. Cho.”

“It’s not a big deal. May I know why do you need it for?”

“It’s regardless of Donghae.”

“Ouh, I see. Well then, Mr. Lee.”

 

Beep…

 

Donghae’s Appa – Lee JoonHyuk – smiles as he hears Mr. Cho’s answer. He still remembers Donghae’s words last night. I saw his nametag, his name is Lee Hyukjae! Sungjae lets out a soft chuckle, recalling his cute son asking to be married. Marriage is not something that you can play with, but if it can make Donghae happy then he’s more than willing to let his son to this Hyukjae’s guy.

Yet first, he needs to know this guy’s background – whether he is good enough for his Donghae.

 

Lee Hyukjae

 

Mr. Cho and Mr. Lee meet at Kona Beans that evening. Mr. Cho gives him the list as he is told to and he can’t be more than thankful to Kyuhyun’s Appa. He sometime feels embarrassed to ask for help from Siwon’s Appa, Changmin’s Appa and mostly Kyuhyun’s Appa. They had help his family a lot – especially for Donghae. Donghae’s best friends come from a well-off family while his son comes from an average family. He is sometimes worried if Donghae can find his spot among his best friends.

Siwon’s family is nice enough to help Donghae with his finance when he first arrived at London years ago – luckily, Donghae gets to stand on his own after that. Kyuhyun’s Appa is the one who let Donghae into his current university and not to forget Changmin’s family who always been nice towards them. Things have always been smooth for their family.

“I don’t know what to say, Mr. Cho.”

“JoonHyuk-ah, it’s not a big deal. I’m happy to help you.”

“I’m really thankful, Yongpil-ah.”

 

He goes straight to his home after the meeting, quickly looking at the list in his study room. He is searching for Lee Hyukjae’s name. Fortunately, luck is on his side.

 

Lee Hyukjae

Architecture and Music major

President of Dancing Club

 

He looks at Hyukjae’s picture and a little bit surprised to see that Hyukjae has a blond hair. Hyukjae seems familiar after all. Wait, his face looks alike with our Donghae’s favourite idol. What is his name? Ahh, Eunhyuk. He needs to know about Hyukjae’s family background either. He knows that it’s impossible for him to ask it from Mr. Cho as it’s confidential. Unlocking the password of his iPhone, he makes a call to his elder son – Donghwa might be able to help him with this problem. After all, Donghwa works as a public defender  so he probably can help him.

“Yoboseyo? Hwa-ah.”

“Neh, Appa. What’s the matter?”

“Do you remember about what Donghae said last night?”

“Ahh, yes. I remember. Wait, are you serious about it?”

“Of course, Hwa.”

“Appa! We barely knows about this guy. Donghae is probably just kidding about him. They didn’t even talk!” Donghwa protests.

“Hwa, I look at his profile and he is has such a great score in his academy. He’s also the president for the Dancing Club. Guess what?”

“What?” Donghae says, slightly annoyed.

“His face looks alike with Donghae’s favourite idol.. What is his name again? Eunhyuk?”

“Seriously? Ouh, I really wanna see his face.”

Mr. Lee chuckles at the other line. “Well, I need your help for your soon-to-be brother-in-law.”

“What is it, Appa?”

“I need you to search for Hyukjae’s family background for me.”

“I got it, Appa. I’ll try to help.”

“Thank you, Hwa-ah.”

“Dad, I’ll do anything for Donghae.”

Mr. Lee smiles, hearing Donghwa’s answer. “Well, I’ll be hoping from you.”

“Sure, dad.”

 

Beep…

 

It turns out that Hyukjae is an orphan but is adopted by Lee SungJae – the vice president of SendBill Communication. Now, it seems impossible to ask him for marrying Donghae. His Donghae is probably a lowlife for them but he doesn’t want to disappoint his son. He needs to meet Vice President Lee and tell the vice president about his wish.