Drawing Spirals On Your Skin

Drawing Spirals On Your Skin

 

Kyuhyun thinks Zhou Mi is weird. But he also thinks Zhou Mi is sunshine and happiness and a light in the darkness that blankets over him. And in the darkness that is breakups and departures, Zhou Mi is the only one who can speak.

It's not that he'd ever say it. It's not that he'd ever express how different he feels and how his heart has hollowed; like limp pieces have been scratched, fragmented and torn out, beating somewhere on the ground out of sync with what's left in his chest. He'll keep it to himself, and hopes that when he clings to Zhou Mi for some kind of comfort, he wont notice.

“Hey, Zhou Mi,” Kyuhyun says, grabbing the taller man's arms and pulling him. “Come on. We're going out to drink.”

“Ah, Kyuhyun!” Zhou Mi tries to protest, tries to tell Kyuhyun that they have a schedule tomorrow and it's imperative that they sleep, but it doesn't work and Zhou Mi gives in.

They sit at a small table in a poorly lit restaurant that sells too many drinks Kyuhyun can't pronounce. Kyuhyun grips tightly to the drink in his hand. He watches the water droplets slide down the cool class and forgets for a second why he's here and who he's with.

“Kyu-” Zhou Mi starts, but Kyuhyun takes a drink and ignores him. He swallows drink after drink until the burning in his throat becomes comfortable, and all he tastes is something like regret and broken promises.

“Kyuhyun, are you okay?” Zhou Mi asks from behind his glass of water. He looks at Kyuhyun with curious eyes.

Kyuhyun laughs hard, and waves a hand in front of his face. He sets the glass down on the table with a clunk and slouches forward in his chair.

His vision is a blur and Zhou Mi shines in the small pools of light while Kyuhyun tries to blink him into focus. “You're beautiful,” Kyuhyun hiccups, his words a slur of syllables that probably make no sense, but he doesn't care. He's too full of alcohol to really care enough to keep his guard up of playful sniggers and misuses of formal language.

He hears Zhou Mi sigh and looks down at the amber colored substance that swirls in his cup. He mumbles something even he doesn't understand and everything is black.

When Kyuhyun opens his eyes again, he sees Zhou Mi sleeping next to him. It takes a second for him to adjust to the darkness, but he can see 4:18 blinking red in the distance of the room. He tries not to think of how drunk he got, of how drunk he still is, and stares at Zhou Mi. His eyelids feel heavy, his head even heavier, and he expels a puff of hot air that ghosts over his fingers.

His whole body is hot, but it doesn't really bother him. He shrugs some of the blankets of his shoulders and watches Zhou Mi's breathing; in and out.

Kyuhyun tries to reason why Zhou Mi is sleeping next to him, but nothing really makes sense and his mind is filled with too much worry. He throws the thought away for another time and place.

He reaches his fingers out and touches Zhou Mi's arm, flinching back just as the connection is made. Zhou Mi's skin is cold and looking at him in the pale moonlight makes Kyuhyun feel something he's never felt.

He chances again and this time faintly traces along the curves of Zhou Mi's body. He tries memorizing each touch, each shiver that shakes his body when he discovers something new, but he knows he's too out of it to remember.

Kyuhyun's fingers slide over Zhou Mi's skin and he remembers the awful darkness, his fragmented heart, what he promises to keep hidden from the world. He draws spirals until his fingers become numb and Zhou Mi's very presence is the only thing that can stitch together his heart.

Kyuhyun closes his eyes again to the lullaby of Zhou Mi's breath.