why do i need another title

wow isnt this fun

jinwoo sets an alarm for 6:30 in the morning, far before any of the others will be awake. the outfit from their heirs parody lies in waiting for the morning; jinwoo finally has the courage to actually try it out.

when he wakes, he gets dressed quickly, arranges the wig, and applies eyeliner with a shaky hand. he eats a rushed breakfast and leaves the dorm in a hurry, hoping no one in the building sees him. he sends a text to mino after he's safely a block away, tucking his phone back in his shirt pocket. he realizes he must look silly wearing a school uniform for a school that doesn't really exist, and he hopes no one looks at the blazer too thoroughly. 

he finds a small café to sit down in and orders some coffee, having missed out on his daily caffeine intake in his rush to get out. 

the barista calls him "miss," and jinwoo likes the sound of that. miss jinwoo. that sounds better than "sir" or "mister," and jinwoo thinks maybe "she" sounds better than "he" too.

she guesses that anyone else who looked at her would also call her "miss," and that makes her feel a little better about all this. she feels safe, but she makes sure no one's looking at her too closely just in case.

she gets a text from mino at around 8:00 saying that taehyun would be at the dorm all day "in case you need anything" (probably code for "in case you get lost"). she laughs at mino's attempt to cover his worries. she does decide shortly after to go shopping though, so she's glad for the heads up.

jinwoo spends the rest of her morning looking in shop windows, admiring all the women's clothing and deciding what she likes and dislikes (this is all new after all). she thinks maybe another day she'll go back and actually buy things, but she has to make sure the boys don't mind first– they do have to live with her after all.

while she's walking around, she hears some girls whispering about her– "that girl looks familiar," "is she an actress?" "a rookie idol maybe?" "what school does she go to? i can't see," jinwoo laughs, glad that her makeup hides her well enough.

after a couple hours, jinwoo glances at the street sign and realizes she has no clue where she is.

.

in her rush to get out this morning, she didn't think to bring a set of her usual clothes with her in case she needed them. god, she's gonna have to call taehyun, and who knows what he'll think– this isn't how she wanted the boys to find out, but she realizes now that she would've had to go home like this anyway.

she calls anyway, hoping she can just get taehyun to give her directions and maybe she can figure out what to do as she walks home.

as soon as taehyun picks up the phone, she knows she's made a mistake. he automatically tells her to stay where she is (as is the usual protocol), and she can't convince him to just give her the directions home. "just stay at the shoe store on the corner," he says, and jinwoo decides to follow his order since he seems to know the area. she waits in the corner of the store, hands playing with her skirt out of nerves.

she plays dumb games she has downloaded on her phone until taehyun shows up. she panics when she sees him walk in, eyes searching for the boy he knows. she would try to hide, but she figures it's pointless since she needs taehyun's help anyway. when he spots her, he just smiles at her and walks over as normal. that's it?

"you look nice," he says, glancing over jinwoo's uniform. "i can't believe you kept all of this. how did you get away from the stylists?"

"you mean i wasn't allowed to?" she asks nervously. taehyun laughs. 

"i shouldn't be surprised," he says. "you really are something, noona."

"oh," jinwoo says quietly. "say that again."

taehyun raises his eyebrows, confused. "noona?"

"yeah, that sounds, um, nice," jinwoo sighs.

taehyun nods. "so," he says, "are we going home now, or do you wanna do some shopping or something?"

all jinwoo can think is that's it? but she thinks it would be rude to say that out loud. she finally manages a "let's go home," but she's still confused about why taehyun isn't asking more questions. they talk like normal on the way back, and it's almost like nothing has changed. jinwoo decides to take everything off before the others get back, and she hopes taehyun takes that as a sign. 

she's fine for that day, but of course the other members catch on one by one. seungyoon and seunghoon both find jinwoo opening packages of feminine clothing she buys online (she did this to avoid suspicion but it doesn't work when everyone lives together). a couple days later, seungyoon is asking her what size she is ("it's not because i'm buying you things, it's just for future reference"), and she finds a surprise package of cute tshirts on her bed a week later. 

mino finds pink in the laundry, is thoroughly confused, and jinwoo sighs and explains herself. 

"so you're a girl?" he asks, clearly trying to be nice but he's very blunt. jinwoo sighs.

"yeah, i think?" jinwoo says. "i'm not really sure. i like this though, the feminine thing."

"but do you really need all these clothes to do that? you can be a girl without all this new pink stuff. i mean, if it's your stuff, it's girl stuff, right?"

jinwoo looks down at her hands, thinking. "but i like it," she says. "i like all these, uh, soft things i guess. i don't know. it's nice. i'm comfortable."
mino nods, touching jinwoo's sweater. "it is nice. if you're happy then i am too. and, hey, if there's anything you need for this, like, i don't know what i can do but..." he trails off. "just let me know, okay?"

jinwoo isn't sure when she started crying, but she feels the tears on her face and dropping down on her clothes. "okay," she says, and she is.