Goodbye

Time Machine

As the girl stood on the road, looking off into the distance, she couldn’t help but think about what went wrong. Did she mean to make a mistake? No. She wanted to do this, but couldn’t bring her heart to realize the consequences that came with it.

 

She turns around and looks at the eight girls she’s spent most of her life with in sorrow. The girls shared their own interpretations of sorrow on their faces; Some were sad, some were frustrated, and some were of complete confusion. They all stood in a line by age, except with a hole between two people on the left.

 

The girl looked at the farthest to the right, the girl with a serious expression, but in her eyes, was complete sadness. “Seohyun… I’m sorry for not being a better unnie to you. Least you have seven other unnies to do make up for my mistakes.” Seohyun’s face contorted ever so slightly as she breathed in deep.

 

The girl then looked to the next girl, the one whose doe-like eyes were filled with tears. “Yoona… My precious deer. Please forgive me for what I’ve done. I promised that I would never hurt you. Guess I broke that promise.” Yoona covered with her hands and turned around, sobbing.

 

The girl looked to the tallest of them all, whose face didn’t have anger or sadness in it. Just… nothing. “Sooyoung… They say that you should never bite more than you can chew. I hope you don’t have a hard time swallowing this down. I still will.” Sooyoung, ever so slightly, gave her a nod, which the girl returned.

 

The girl looked at the girl who’s face was filled with mostly anger, with a hint of sadness. “Yuri… Never stop doing what you love. Never stop caring for those you love. I won’t ever forget and never stop loving you, okay? Never.” Yuri’s face became more saddened as a tear went down her cheek.

 

The girl then looked at the next girl, who had furious written all over her face. “Hyoyeon…” Just at that, Hyoyeon looked away angrily as tears poured out of her eyes. “We’ve been friends since we were in elementary school. I wouldn’t trade those years for anything. Please know that. I’m sorry.” Hyoyeon looked at her solemnly as she nodded.

 

The girl looked to the next girl, who was crying and didn’t seem like stopping anytime soon. “Tiffany… My american buddy. It was fate that we were born in the same hospital, ended up in the same group, and became close friends. Our friendship is fate and it will never break.” Tiffany took a step towards the girl, but as she did that, the girl at the end looked at her and shook her head. Tiffany stepped back and held her head down.

 

The girl looked at the second to last girl, who had her hand over eyes to hide the fact that she was crying. “Soonkyu…” Her hand moved from her eyes at the sound of her real name. “At first, I thought you came into Girls’ Generation because the CEO was your uncle. But as I got to know you, you were so much more than that. You’re caring, wise, and a great friend.” Sunny threw her head down, not showing her tear-ridden face to her. 

 

The girl finally came to the last girl, who didn’t look like any tears had fallen. As the girl was about to speak, the other girl spoke first. “Just go.” The girl was taken aback and refused. “Taeyeon… I know you feel hurt the most, I get that. But-“ “What?!” Taeyeon yelled, which almost completely surprised the other girls. The girl responded with “I care about you. Don’t forget that.” And that was what broke her into tears.

 

“I will miss you all dearly. I hope we can still stay in contact, despite of my mistakes. I love you. Goodbye.” The girl turned around and started walking off.

 

“Jessica!” Jessica turned around to see that Taeyeon had said her name. Taeyeon looked at the other members, giving them a secret signal. “1, 2, 3…”

 

“Jessica Jung Sooyeon! HWAITING!” All of the girls yelled.

 

They made the famous fist move whenever the word ‘hwaiting’ occurs. Jessica gave the hwaiting fist back, smiling without showing her teeth. She gives one last look to her colleagues, the ones who have stood by her and loved her, despite her flaws. And just like that, she turns around and walks away, wondering what the next part of her life will bring her…