Prologue

Dandelion's Cry

No one seemed to notice the girl screaming on her knees in the middle of the road opposite the burning house. That, or no one seemed to care. Several people walked past the scene unaware of what was happening next to them. Every one of them strode by without even glancing at her. The girl screamed for her parents who she figured were still in the house but none of the passersby heard her cries.

 

Next to the burning building stood what she thought was a tree and, although she lived in that house her whole life, she had never seen a tree there before. She stopped shouting so she could concentrate on the new sight. Somehow, in the light of the fire, the tree didn’t seem real.

 

Suddenly, a tall, lanky figure leapt out of the tree and onto the grass below the branches. Through the light of the flames, the girl could see a young man with scars going across his arms and neck and a knife in one of his hands. She gasped and tried to stand up and back away to the other side of the road but tripped over her feet and fell onto her backside. The strange man walked towards her, a smile slowly creeping onto his face. She crawled backwards as the man quickened his pace, readying his knife but then she ran into something behind her, preventing her from moving any further. Realizing the man was closing in on her, she closed her eyes and shielded her face with her hands.

 

The sound of a gunshot pierced through the air and the girl flinched. Not feeling any pain, she opened her eyes slowly. In front of her was a young man wearing all black with a hood that shadowed his eyes. Behind him, the man from before was on the ground with a third man standing over him, pointing a large gun at his face.

 

“Yoon Jiyoo?” the man in front of her calmly asked.

 

At that time, the only sounds that could be heard were the crackling of the fire and Jiyoo’s gasping breaths. “H-How do you know my name?” she asked shakily.

 

The man ignored her question. “You need to come with us.”

 

“Go with you?” Jiyoo gasped, “I don’t even know who you are!”

 

Behind him, the man with the gun pulled the trigger once more and the strange man with the knife evaded it. He got up off the ground and hurled himself at the man with the gun, throwing him against the trunk of the tree. Jiyoo heard a crack and a squelch as the man with the gun yelled. “I can’t hold him back!” he shouted, “You need to take her and leave!”

 

Looking back at the man in front of her, Jiyoo’s heart pounded in fear. “What’s going on?” she asked.

 

“There’s no time to explain,” He stated, “You need to come with us now.”

 

“No!” Jiyoo yelled, “I won’t go with you! Leave me alone!” She tried to move away from whatever was blocking her path backwards and when she put her hand down, she felt a shoe there instead of the road. Looking up in fear at what was behind her, her eyes met with a forth young man’s face.

 

“I’m sorry,” the man behind her said calmly as he placed one of his hands over her eyes. She wanted to get away from him and remove his hand but as soon as his skin touched hers, she felt a jolt and immediately passed out.