Chapter 5

A Friend Of Mine

It was almost 6pm when Amber arrived at her apartment in Seoul. She places her stuff on her coffee table and she reheats the two containers that Grandma Jung gave to her. It will be her dinner for tonight. She took a nice warm shower to relieve her tiredness from the very long drive, and when she was done she wears a black tank top and gray jogging pants. She places the reheat food on the coffee table and sits on her couch but before she opens the TV. She checks first her telephone for voice messages.

“Hey Amber this is Grandma Jung, I know you’re probably still on the road...” Amber chuckled “Just don’t forget my anniversary okay? And your grandma said that don’t forget to reheat the food, don’t eat it cold arraseo?” “Yep grandma, arraseo.” “I love you, take care Amber!”  “I love you too grandma”

Amber clicks on the second message...

“Hey llama, this is Min. Did you know that an international call is expensive? I thought you are at home. Let’s talk through Skype tomorrow! Daniel and I misses you.” Amber smiled and motioned to sit on the couch. She gets the remote and casually opens the TV. She clicks on the last message on her telephone.

“Amber, this is your uncle...” Amber straightens herself up upon hearing her uncle’s voice. “When are you free? Have you decided my offer? This is an opportunity Amber, don’t let this pass. You will make your father proud. Please see me immediately.”

Amber sighed. She still doesn’t know whether she will accept her uncle’s offer. It’s been months since her uncle is bugging her about that. The offer is really good for her; it’s for her own good.  But she doesn’t know if she is ready to leave Korea for that. She places her hands on her face and let out a sigh again. “What I’m gonna do?” She mumbled. 

 

“Just adjust the exposure and the aperture... You’ll get the hang of it.” Amber is busy helping a trainee on their studio. Many clients are visiting their studio today, getting them as videographer in occasions like debuts, birthdays and weddings. 

Amber slumps on her chair and stretches her arms. She felt really tired today. This is the first time she sit on her own chair this day. As a co-owner of the studio, she was busy entertaining clients, suggesting on what motif or themes to be used and on bidding.

“Wow today is one heck of a busy day.” Onew said as he places the milktea on Amber’s desk.

“Hell yeah. Thanks for this, I really need it.” She said as she pokes the straw on her drink. “Oh god that’s good.” Amber said as she took a sip of her milktea.

“You’re welcome dude. Did you know why we have increasing clients since the previous months?” Onew asked as he sits on Amber’s desk.

 Amber shakes her head. “No. Why?”

“It’s because of your handsome face dude...” Onew pointed a finger on Amber’s face “...that face.”

“Yah stop it...” Amber chuckled and swatted Onew’s finger “... seriously Onew stop it.”

“Why? It’s the truth Amber! Did you know that mostly our clients; whenever they need our services they will request to call you so that you will you will be the one to interview them. They wanted to talk to you instead of me. And I’m also wondering why you didn’t have any relationships, you’re not dating anyone! God Amber, use your charming face. It’s a gift you know.” Onew said and seconds later he received a flying tissue box from Amber.

“Yah! Mind your own love life okay? If I were you, I’ll ask Luna on a date before someone else will do that.” Amber pokes her tongue out.

“Hey Amber, there’s an incoming call for you.” Hara said as she peeks through the door.

 “Ohh okay, direct it to my line. Thanks, Hara.” Amber said and Hara nodded.

“I’ll go ahead, there’s a new client coming. See you in a while, Amber.” Onew said and left Amber’s office.

 

“Hello? This is Amber.”

“Amber, this is your uncle.”

“Uncle! Why did you call?” Amber clears hear throat.

“I suppose you get my message yesterday. I want you to come to my house today. I don’t want to hear excuses, Amber.”

“Y-yes. Uncle. I’ll be there in 30 minutes.”

 

It was less than 30 minutes until Amber reached her uncle’s mansion. Different kinds of paintings, photographs, sculpture and other kinds of artworks are displayed inside her uncle’s house. They are indeed a family of artists.

“So I’m here to hand you over this.” Amber’s uncle slides a brown envelope towards Amber. “It is your scholarship in L.A. to pursue your degree for Arts. It is a special course that’s why you will just study for a year. All you need is to sign that form. All of your daily expenses or allowance will be paid by me. You can meet many famous artists in abroad. Maybe one day, they will discover you. You have a great talent as an artist. Don’t just settle in a studio business, Amber...” Amber’s uncle stands up and moves towards Amber and patted her back.

“... I’m not pressuring you though, but if I were you Amber, I’ll sign this form already.” Amber uncle whispered on her.

Amber didn’t say anything. She just nodded and left the mansion immediately bringing with her an envelope containing her scholarship in an Art school in L.A. This is what her father wanted after all for her before when he was still alive.  

 

“Hey what’s with the long face huh?” Min said as she noticed Amber on her monitor.

“Nothing. It’s just... I’m tired. Many clients are coming to the studio lately...” Amber shoves a slice of kimbap on “... and uncle. He wanted me to enrol in this art school in L.A.”

“Wow that’s new. I thought you have Krystal problems.” Min jokingly said.

“Yah! She’s not a problem; she will never be a problem.” Amber said as she pointed the chopsticks on her laptop monitor.

“Where is she?” Min asked.

Amber shrugged. “I really don’t know. Maybe she’s with her boyfriend. We haven’t talked for about three weeks now”

“Wow. I really can’t believe this. Before, you know Krystal’s whereabouts, in every minute every second! I mean you’re like a Krystal GPS!” Min laughs on the other side and Amber just chuckled.

“Well things had change lately.” Amber said shoving another slice of kimbap.

“Aww our llama is sad. That’s why I’m pushing you to tell Krystal what you really feel about her. Look at you know! Even her grandma is on your side for god sake!”

“Nah. I know she’s happy with Minhyuk. We all know that Minhyuk is her knight and shining armor.” Amber just shrugged and picks up a book and began flipping its pages.

“What is that?” Min asked.

“Oh this. It’s a photo book. I’m looking for some idea for Grandma Jung’s 50th wedding anniversary.” Amber said casually.

“Ohh. Is Krystal gonna be there?”

“I think so... I mean it’s her grandma’s wedding anniversary.” Amber closes the book and looks at Min.

Min sighed seeing her bestfriend Amber like that. How she wished that she was in Korea comforting her best pal. Min’s phone rang and it was a message coming from her fiancé Daniel.

“Hey I gotta go. Daniel is picking me up in a while. Oh yeah, if you’re going here in L.A. you can stay here at our house, okay? Hey Am, cheer up. Things will be okay soon.” Min said as she tries to comfort Amber.

“Don’t worry. I’m gonna be okay... I will be.”