Chapter 20

A Friend Of Mine

Amber continues to carry the half sleep Krystal on her back towards their front gate. Not far away from them are two lovers talking at the cozy hammock at the Jung’s veranda. As Amber went near to the veranda, small giggles can be heard which caused Krystal to be awakened. She immediately hop off from Amber’s back and upon seeing the view in front of her, her nose started to release hot flares. Amber was who also in there backs away and slowly went behind Krystal.

“Uh-oh” Amber said to herself and scratched the back of her head. While the long hair in front of her is still eyeing the couple in front with her arms crossed, Amber is already sending gestures to the two, telling them that it is better for the guy to leave because Krystal is already here. When Jinwoon saw that, he immediately stood up, gave Krystal a bow and greeted her goodnight. Krystal could only hum in response. And Amber tapped the poor guy’s shoulder and sighed.

The girl sitting on the hammock begins to pout as she saw her boyfriend already left because of her cousin’s deadly glare. “Unnie!” Nicole whined.

“What? It’s already late you know.” Krystal tends to be overprotective over Nicole. She treats her like a real younger sister eventhough they are cousins. Amber checked on her watch to see that it’s a little bit early and the good thing is that they are in their house and not in some other place. Hearing the reply, both of the two just rolled their eyes. Nicole and Amber chuckled at the same time.

Nicole went towards her Amber unnie and clings herself to her. “Good thing Amber unnie understands me.” Amber chuckled again because of Nicole’s playfulness. “Come on unnie, let’s get inside!” And before Amber can respond, she realizes that Nicole already drag her. She turned around and gave a smile to Krystal who is looking at them shaking her head.

“Amber my dear!” Auntie Jung exclaimed from the moment Amber entered the house. She put down the roasted chicken on the table before running into Amber to give her a warm hug. “Aigoo you two must be hungry, I’ll just finish the sauce then we’re ready to eat”

“Thank you, Auntie. The chicken smells awesome.” By looking at the roasted chicken before her, Amber can’t help but to feel very hungry.

Auntie Jung patted her head “Arraseo , you can help your uncle outside. He’s doing the barbeque.”

 

When the table is already set, Amber grabs her camera and takes pictures of everyone. For her, this became her second family. Afterwards, they gather around the table and started eating. Krystal moves to her left to give Amber a space to sit on. Amber put rice on their plates while Krystal filled their glasses with juice.

“You know Amber; your dad always tells me that whenever you take my picture,  I always look like an international beauty queen.” Auntie Jung complimented her.

“Mom, you know Amber is really talented...” Krystal buts in while putting the chicken leg at her bestfriend’s plate. “... I don’t know why she is so contented working at a studio with Onew.”

“What’s wrong with that? That is still a decent job, and as we can all see Amber is working hard for it.” Uncle Jung said. Amber shyly nodded, she felt happy hearing those things from them.

Amber began to put some meat on Krystal’s plate as she speaks “Dad, I know toothpick has a decent job. But you know, he can still become popular!” Krystal said as she shoved into the meat that Amber gave.

“Just like Minhyuk?” Amber said.

“Yeah! Just like him...” Krystal gets the other chicken leg and holds it for a while “... Isn’t he so impressive? He has a clear goal. Now, he’s performing in Asia then next to Singapore then maybe in Europe!” Krystal said as she holds the drumstick up in the air.

Amber grabs her arm immediately. “Yah don’t play with that leg, its food. Just eat.”

 

The next day, Amber helped Krystal in getting the fresh flowers into her shop. She placed her satchel at the table counter and went inside to place the flowers at the storage room. Suddenly her phone rang; she immediately went over her bag. Krystal also went for it but gave up when Amber got her phone first. She was getting curious whenever Amber is about to get a call because in the past, Amber sometimes will tell Krystal to get the phone for her because she hate talking longer on the phone. She thought that maybe her bestfriend has already found someone that’s why she is so cautious whenever that special someone of her will call.

“Ahh! I was about to call you... yeah I’ll drop buy don’t worry... okay bye.” Krystal had eavesdropped their conversation.

“Who is it?” She asked Amber with her arms crossed. Her eyes are full of curiosity.

“Nothing...” Amber shrugged and push her bestfriend slightly because she’s blocking the way. Krystal pouted on her place. It was Jong who was on the phone awhile ago.

Amber grabs her things, ready to leave the flower shop. “Why are you pouting?” She asked when she turned around to face Krystal.

“You’re starting to keep secrets from me.” Krystal spoke softly and hung her head low.

Amber walk towards her and patted her head. “I am not. But whatever it is, you’ll gonna find it soon...”

 

At that night, as Krystal was getting ready to sleep, she her television because it was the time for the music show. CN BLUE was their featured artist. As she was watching the music video, and looking intently at Minhyuk, she began reminiscing what happened years ago. It was the moment when Minhyuk stood up for her and defend her for all of the bullies that was picking at her. She unconsciously smiled and starts to caress the necklace that Minhyuk gave her but she realizes that the dog tag is missing.

“AHHHHH! Mom, Dad the dog tag is missing! AHHHHH! ” Krystal screamed making her mom and dad alarmed, on the other hand Nicole who just come home starts to suppress her laugh.

“Mommy, your daughter is possessed again.” Uncle Jung joked as he took a sip of his coffee.

“Nicole, return it already.” Auntie Jung said.

“Auntie, it’s funny when unnie is being like that... and besides, I only gave her a distraction so she won’t look for me.” Nicole said in a quiet tone and gently places the dog tag on the table. All of a sudden, Krystal came running down the stairs only to see her precious dog tag.

“Oh my gosh, I thought I lost you.” She gets the necklace and hugs it tightly. “Nicole Jung, we need to talk.” Nicole stops on her tracks as she heard her cousin called her. “Where did you go?”

“Unnie, we just had coffee.”

“Have we ran out of coffee that you have to go out and drink some?”  Krystal said as she places the necklace into a small jewellery box.

Nicole rolled her eyes “How come you can stay up late with Amber?” she pouted.

“That’s different! Our friendship is platonic. Now come on, let’s get ready to bed.”

 

When Amber just got in to her apartment, she suddenly received a call on her telephone. She throws her things lazily on the couch before picking up the phone.

“Ugh. Who will be calling this late?” She mumbled “Hello?” She lazily answered but when she heard the voice from the other line, she suddenly stood up and cleared . “Yes, uncle?”