And so it begins

For Starters
Please log in to read the full chapter

      "I'm sorry," that's all he had been saying for the past hour, "I really have no choice _____ah. Please don't ignore me," in those moments I'd wished to never be born, not here, not now, not with a father that could use his own flesh and blood, his own daughter to fix the gambling problem he'd had for years. That's why mom had left him, told him that she couldn't put up with his addictions anymore; she deserved better than that, we deserved better. She'd asked me to come with her, begged me to, but I couldn't leave him. Back than he just had a problem and with some time and support he would be cured, back than I was naive enough to believe that there was a chance that my father could change, would change, but as I stood figiding in front of the building I'd read on the address I realized that I was stupid. Dumb and innocent than, why hadn't I gone with my mother? I could feel the tears prick at my eyes at the thought of her, and the life she was now living; how happy she must be without us? How at ease not having to worry whether this time dad would bet the house.

    Running a crumbled up piece of tissue over my eyes I did my best not to smudge the eyeliner I'd been forced to put on. "You must," Dad had argued, "If not they take away our home and I highly doubt you want to live on the street. You don't do you? ________ah, it will only be until the debt is repaid, I promise you," he'd handed me the mascara wand with little comfort. I had no choice, if I didn't do this for him my father would be out on the cold street where, might I add, he deserved to be, and if I did I would lose all hope of ever having a normal life.

    "How much do you owe them Dad? A thousand? A million?" I'd yelled at him. He wouldn't respond only ruffled through my clothes picking outside something nice to wear.

    "The pink looks nice," he smiled, holding up my pink summer dress with tiny white flowers running along the body and skirt. I'd snatched it from him and done as he asked. "I swear, this is the last thing I'll ever do for you," I yelled at

Please log in to read the full chapter