The Secret

Power of Persuasion

Kangin had entered the kitchen for his morning caffeine dose when he was confronted by a very strange scene in front of him.

Siwon was sitting on the stool and was busy staring at the coffee maker. So concentrated he was at the coffee maker that he did not even hear kangin enter. Because if he did, then kangin knew that siwon would greet him and not ignore him for a kitchen appliance. After all siwon was among the few minority, 'the well behaved dongsaengs' in super junior.


He went near siwon, "siwonnie… is everything okay? Why are you staring at the coffee maker?"


Without losing his focus and showing no sign of alarm on the presence of kangin, (years of martial arts training had enhanced his sixth sense) he replied, "I am working on sending my thoughts into the universe."


Confused kangin started preparing coffee. He realized that he needed caffeine if he was about to have another pointless philosophical discussion with siwon.


"What do you mean by sending thoughts to the universe?" he said putting a cup in front of siwon.


"The power of positive thinking."


"I don’t understand. I almost thought the machine was broken. "


Siwon took a sip from the coffee kangin had made. It was good, not as good as ryeowook’s but definitely better than eunhyuk’s. Well letting a non-coffee drinker make coffee is not really a good idea to begin with.


"Thanks" he pointed to the cup when kangin looked at him in a questioning gaze.

"You still did not tell me what you were doing staring at the coffee machine."


"I was sending sublime thoughts into the universe."


"By staring at the coffee machine?" kangin was intrigued when siwon answered in affirmation.


"What were those thoughts that you were 'sending to the universe'?"


"I wanted a cup of coffee." Siwon stood up and walked towards the sink intending on washing his now empty cup.


"If you wanted coffee, then why did you not ask someone to make it for you or better still, why did you not make one for yourself?" kangin did not understand the anti-climactic statement siwon had just uttered.

 

"If I made it myself then it would defeat the purpose of using the power of persuasion on the universe and accomplish my goals." Seeing how kangin was still staring at him with uncomprehending eyes he continued, "You volunteered to make coffee for me because universe persuaded your subconscious to respond to my non-verbal request."

 

"The universe had nothing to do with me making coffee for you. Since you have been a good dongsaeng I decided to indulge you. This coffee", he pointed at the now washed cups, "is all me. The universe did not make it for you. I did."

 

Siwon smiled at the way kangin was getting worked up, "only sensitive and smart people feel and understand the workings of the universe. You too will get it one day. "

 

Kangin just stood there and watched siwon leave not before patting his shoulder in a consoling manner. Was he just called insensitive and dumb by his dongsaeng? He wondered.

*******


It was late in the evening and the dorm was relatively empty. Most of the members were out drinking and clubbing, only the sober ones (boring according to heechul) were home. Siwon unfortunately found himself on the sober list when his plan of spending time with Nichkhun fell through. He was spending time with his girlfriend, siwon had said, fighting hard to keep the bitterness out when he was asked the reason for his presence at the dorms.


Ryeowook found siwon once again in the kitchen staring at the fridge now. Wook had come to find something to eat as yesung was whinnying about having to watch a movie without any snacks.


"Hyung what are you doing?" wookie found it strange when siwon had left the living room in middle of the movie. He had thought that the elder was tired and hence resting. But it seemed that he was having a staring contest with a kitchen appliance.


"Nothing much wookie… "


"Oh… alright then..." he began rummaging the cabinets to find something suitable to eat.


"Would like to eat something. I am fixing a grill cheese sandwich for yesung hyung."


Siwon grunted non-committedly.


"If you want I can make something else for you…?" wookie did not like the awkward silence that was forming between them. He felt compelled to say something, just to dissolve the weird atmosphere.


"I can make you kimchi fried rice…? If you want that is... "


"Really!!! You would? Oh… wookie that would be wonderful. I knew that my thoughts would reach out to you. The universe is the best. "


Wookie stood there with a cheese grater in his hand looking at siwon who had just given him a hug and kiss on the forehead for making kimchi rice. What left him stumped was all the gibberish nonsense of thoughts and universe. What that had to do with me making kimchi rice, he thought.

 

*******

Heechul was skipping around the dorms. He was happy, scratch that he was very happy. He had finally got his hands on a collector item, a Superman figurine dating back to its first appearance in comics.

Thought it might not look that way but heechul was quite a collector of pop art. He had had his sights on the superman figurine for quite some time. And what made the happiness more pronounced, was that he had managed to snatch the figurine from right under the nose of Mr. Moneybags. Also the reason why Mr. Moneybags aka siwon was watching intently the prancing Cinderella.


Regret or guilt is not something that can be found in Kim heechul’s dictionary. So, what had transpired that day was something that even he had difficulty digesting.


While he was busy showing off his newest acquisition, heechul could not shake away the stares that siwon was sending his way. It was unnerving for him to sense the younger boring holes into him through his eyes. Wherever he was in the dorms, siwon's eyes followed him.


In a bid to get away from the stares, he locked himself into his room. But unfortunately this action too did jot yield any result. After spending few minutes inside the room, the diva came back into the living room to see that the visual had maintained his stance and was once again watching him incessantly.


"Alright!! Alright!!! I give up!!! You can have this stupid doll" heechul all but flung his precious figurine at siwon. Siwon took hold off the figurine and enveloped heechul in a bear hug.


"I knew the universe will help me out."


Saying this siwon left the room in a lighting speed with his newly acquired figurine, lest heechul change his mind. All the while heechul was left scratching his head on why universe was thanked for his selfless deed.
 

*******


It was known fact in the Super Junior fandom that Gentleman Mimi has an obsession for shopping and always being updated at the current fashion. Ever since his debut, Mimi might have updated his wardrobe numerous times to stay in vogue. So much so that it would be impossible to find a piece of clothing in his closet that is older than a few months.

But what the elfs did not know was that the fashion diva did keep a vintage Armani leather jacket in his wardrobe that was older than… well it was bought when he had started earning. It predated his debut as a singer or even as MC in china. He had bought the jacket after receiving check for his very first modelling job which also happened to be his very first paying job.


So, it came as no surprise that Zhou mi fiercely protected the jacket. All items in his closet was available for perusal for the members, save for the jacket. The rule did not mean much anyway, because only siwon and kyuhyun were of the same size as Mimi and hence capable of borrowing his clothes. Siwon being siwon, had never once wore his clothes and kyuhyun was not interested in the high fashion pieces that filled mi's closet. So Mimi, usually donated his clothes to make space for new ones.


It was once when Zhou mi was sitting in his room and surfing the net when siwon came in with his unusual request. He had wanted to borrow his vintage leather jacket. The situation would not have been memorable just from the request because Mimi could have easily turned him down. It was his response to the request that still bewilders him till today.


After he had refused to lend the jacket, mini had expected siwon to try and persuade him, unsuccessfully, as no one was ever wearing the jacket but him. But siwon did not even uttered a word after Mimi refused him. He just said okay and instead of leaving the room, proceeded to make himself comfortable on the bean bag in his room. And then the staring contest began. It was not really a staring contest bit more like siwon watching mimi's every action with a hawk eye.


Mimi shrugged off the intruder after siwon did not leave his room and proceeded back to what he was doing. He knew that siwon did not expected him to keep company because he had not said a single word after he had refused his request. The visual of super junior was strange like this.


Even though Mimi composed himself and tried to be normal about the situation, the quite staring for better part of 30 minutes were now finally unnerving him.


He then yelled words which he promised to this day was totally involuntary and not at all thought out.


"Alright. Alright, I will lend you the jacket. Happy???"


Zhou mi was soon engulfed in a bear hug by siwon who showed his perfect dimpled smile, "I knew that my thoughts would get across to you. Thank you universe."


And soon the intruder was gone from his room leaving Mimi confused, as to why someone called the ‘universe’ was thanked for his good gesture. (He still had not learned the Korean term for universe.)

 

*******


It was not at all unusual for leeteuk to be a little concerned. After all, he was the leader to the most immature men on the planet, who insisted on behaving like elementary kids even when they were in their late twenties. But this time his concern was for a reason, he did ever anticipate he would have to handle.


When teukie had debuted first as a part of super junior, the management wanted everyone to learn a skill that they could showcase. He had chosen to master guitar as his additional skill. Learning guitar allowed him to minutely understand the musical notes as he was already well versed in the piano, the guitar was to help him better understand the nuances of music and help in enhancing his skill for composition. And the fact that not only did he look cool strumming a guitar, girls were a er for the whole lonely musician look that he totally pulled off.


His teacher, the legend Kim TaeWon had gifted him the most precious object he ever owned. A pristine white Gibson Les Paul, that was one of six pieces ever made, making it a collector’s item. He protected the item with his life and nobody was allowed to touch it. Only under his careful observations were selected members allowed to use it.


The guitar was usually borrowed by members with inclination towards composition. So, when siwon sat in front of him while he was trying to compose, staring pointedly at the instrument in front of him, he got a little self-conscious.
Siwon looked up to him and quietly reverted to his earlier activity, of staring the guitar that teukie held in his hands. A bit confused at the silent treatment he was receiving from the, perhaps the most talkative member of the group, he was worried.

 

*******

The members were waiting in the greenroom doing their own thing. Ever since their comeback, it was a blur of one green room to another while they busted their for the promotion of their latest album. It was the leader's first comeback after his stint in the army and he was anticipating the stage. But due to the incident that had taken place in the last few days, leeteuk's mind was churning while he held his eyes on the target. He had been right about the visual acting strange for the last few days and so he was going to observe him minutely to see what the cause of the anomaly was?


While he was busy staring at siwon, heechul joined.
"Teukie why are you so lost? What are you thinking about? "


"Chullie… do you feel one of our member has been acting strange lately?"


"Its siwon... Right…? I have been meaning to talk to you about It." heechul's response made the leader face the diva. Was the problem more severe than he feared?


"He has been an odd ball from the beginning, but it seems his eccentricities has reached new levels."


"You guys talking about siwon??" kangin and ryeowook had joined the conversation.


"You guys too feel he has been acting strange, more than his normal amount?"
All the three heads swayed in affirmation on teukie’s question.
"He keeps on staring at inanimate objects and says weird stuff of universe putting together his thoughts or something. The other day he was staring at the coffee maker and after I made coffee for him, he said that it was because of the universe."


"You made coffee for him?!" heechul was shocked to hear about a goodwill gesture from the raccoon. He was notorious for rarely helping out his hyungs, let alone the dongsaengs.


"Yeah! And can you believe it, instead of being grateful he said something about the universe helping him."


"The same thing happened to me. He was staring at the refrigerator when I offered to make kimchi rice for him. What I found odd was that he would usually request me if he wanted to eat something, but that day he was quietly staring at the fridge without speaking to me."


"That is what he did with me and Zhou mi when he took my figurine and Mi's jacket."


"The superman figurine?! The one you were bragging about winning in a bidding war against siwon? You gave it to him?! Wow!!! I never pegged you as generous."


"Oh shut up, kangin. He basically forced me to give it to him."


"But hyung, he never actually asks for it. He just sits there staring at you or some object he desires. This way he even managed to get yesung and sungmin hyung to do his share of chores."


"You are quite right wookie. This is how he managed to borrow my Gibson Les Paul guitar and use it without my presence."


"Now that you mention the guitar, I think there is a pattern to siwon's behavior."


The rest of the three members looked at kangin, who had managed to break away from a circle they had formed, when they had begun speaking to each other.


"I think I was among the first to be on the receiving end of siwon's eccentricities because he spoke to me a week ago. Then it was you wookie right," the youngest nodded his head, I am damn sure then came yesung and sungmin after that Zhou mi, heechul hyung and finally teukie hyung. He seems to be working his way up to something."


"But what could it be?" mused kangin out loud.


"Guys, do you know that siwon and kyuhyun are dating?" eunhyuk had ran up to the group delivering the news.


"What?!” all the other members were surprised at the development.


"I guess masi, finally got the guts to confess to the maknae. Finally, the 'will they, won't they' game is over."


"No, heechul hyung. It was kyuhyun who confessed first to siwon and asked to be his boyfriend."


"But...when I had spoken to kyu about this, he said that he would never confess first and would wait for siwon to make the first move" ryeowook had a thoughtful expression.


Heechul being the impulsive type wanted to get to the heart of the cause of mysterious behavior siwon was exhibiting and kyuhyun was a new witness; what could be better to hear everything from the horses' mouth. In this case from the horses' boyfriend's mouth.


Soon kyuhyun was pulled into solve the ‘siwon mysterious behavior’ squad.


"Yah maknae! Is it true that you and masi are dating?" heechul did not believe in niceties and got right to point.


Seeing how five pairs of eager eyes were staring him down, he replied, "I don't see how my love life is off any concern to you."


"But kyu, you confessed to siwon. You told me that you would never do it."


"How did you know that?" kyu asked wookie but the sheepish expression eunhyuk was wearing was answer enough.


It took little effort from kangin and leeteuk to pull kyuhyun away from strangulating eunhyuk.


"Kyu, we asked because, we were concerned about the way siwon has been behaving for the past few days. We thought that maybe you could put some light on his latest eccentricities."


"What do you mean by behaving strangely?" kyu asked leeteuk.


"Well… he has taken to staring at objects and people and giving everyone the silent treatment."


‘I don't know. He was never strange with me."


The group fell silent. No one knew now how to know the cause of siwon's behavior.


"Yah, maknae you never told me how masi got you to confess to him." heechul unable to handle the silence decided to introduce another topic. And the fact that he was dying to get some dirt against the maknae also added to his motivation.


At the mention of the confession, kyu started acting bashful. It was certainly a sight to get the evil maknae all shy and embarrassed.


"I don't know how he did it but, the way he behaved around me and that event he prepared sort of sub-consciously made me beat siwon to the confession."


"Event?? What event?" everyone was now all ears for kyu's narration.


"It was not actually an event per-se. I usually go up to the terrace around sunset every day. It helps me to relax. When I went for my usual walk yesterday, there I found siwon. He was sitting there on the parapet strumming the guitar," he turned towards leeteuk, "it was your Les Paul white he had with him."


The members were paying rapt attention to the story. "He looked majestic with that white guitar playing a song, and the sunlight gently bathing him in a golden glow that reflected past the beautiful tan leather jacket he was wearing." kyu was swooning from the memory, when a not so gentle tap from heechul reminded him to carry on with the story.


"He stood up and started circling me all the while playing a beautiful song. The scene seemed just out of fantasy. Suddenly he went down on one knee, I thought for sure he was going to confess, but he removed a gift box and handed it to me."
"So… what was in that box?" kangin was getting angsty with the long pause kyu had taken in his story.


“Well… the box contained something that I had wanted for long." he turned towards heechul and with a smirk continued, "the first ever superman figurine collectable."


"Why you little..." heechul pounced on kyuhyun aiming to strangulate him. It was only through the alertness displayed by kangin that kyu managed to escape scathe free.


"I do not think that you had any claim over it before hyung. I know you mislead siwon and fed him the wrong information so that you could snap up the figurine."


"Arrgh! Here I was unhappy thinking masi had my beloved figurine, knowing now that this evil kid will hold it for the rest of his life, is insufferable."


"Heechul could cut back on the drama." leeteuk felt a headache coming from all the commotion. Why can't super junior have one single day without any drama? Why did their life have to get so complicated? Why did he have to accept the role of the leader? Why--


"Hyung I will have to cut off you psychological self-flagellation, I have to go and see how my Boyfriend is doing."


"Kyu wait."


"Now, do not ask me how I knew what you are thinking. You have had this expression every time we cause trouble in the last ten years. You do tend to think aloud sometimes."


"No, that is that what I wanted to ask. Did siwon say anything after gifting you the figurine?"


A low sob was heard when the figurine was mentioned, but both the leader and maknae decided to ignore the diva.


"Well, then he went back to his earlier position and started playing the guitar."


"Then why did you jump the gun and confess to him?" kangin bellowed. He was unable to comprehend the changing personalities that the members were going through.

"Well, it was such a beautiful and touching event. I felt that I should keep aside my stubbornness and confess my feelings." kyuhyun was a little sheepish and shy displaying his vulnerable side to the members.


"I was glad when he reciprocated my feelings and hugged me tight. Thought he did say something about thanking the universe… but I guess he was just speaking gibberish after saying the three golden words."


"Thanking the universe?!"


"Heechul! Indoor voice" leeteuk and the other members were hearing a ringing sound in their ears after that little shriek from heechul.


"What did you say? Thanking the universe? Isn't that what he did with all of us?" leeteuk then turned to kangin "Ask siwon to come here."


When kangin left, everyone started talking amongst one another.


"What kind of trick is masi using?"


"Was he trying to manipulate us into doing things?”


"If that is the case, then wouldn't it mean that we are too gullible to be manipulate, wookie?"


"But he did not force anyone of you to do anything. You people volunteered to do his bidding without siwon saying a single word."


"People who have not undergone hypnosis by siwon are not allowed to speak, hyukiee… "


"Earlier it was manipulation and now it is hypnosis. Heechul hyung, you should stick to one hypothesis at a time."


"Shut up monkey or I will do it for you."


"Leeteuk hyung you called to see me," while eunhyuk and heechul were bickering, kangin had showed up with siwon.


"Ah, yes. Siwon I wanted to speak to-… "


"Yah, masi are you doing some kind of magic spell on us?" before leeteuk could finish heechul had hijacked the agenda.

 
"Again with your lame theories hyung. Pick manipulation, hypnosis or magic. Make up your mind"


"What is this talk of hypnosis and magic? I do not understand." siwon was lost at being bought in the middle of a bizarre conversation.


"Now, I will speak and no one is going to interrupt me till the end." leeteuk harnessed his leader mode, effectively making everyone shut up.


Leeteuk proceeded to relay the whole story to siwon and everyone stood with bated breath to listen to the explanation from the visual.


"What you said hyung is how the things stand. I did not manipulate anyone or hypnotize anyone nor have used any magic spell." Taking a deep breath he continued, it was difficult to speak with everyone staring him down.
"I was merely putting my thoughts into the universe. You see, changmin gave me a book called ' The Secret.' It said that if you wish for something very badly and keep those thoughts replying in your mind, the universe conspires to fulfil them."


"So you mean to say that instead of making coffee for yourself you decided to ask the universe to in turn force me to make it for you?”


"You have got it all wrong hyung. The whole process is about putting your thoughts into the universe and the universe making them come true. There is no coercion. Only a willful person can do the things that you guys did for me."


"But siwon-ah why use universe to play my guitar or to wear Zhou mi's jacket. Surely you could have accomplished this task without any help. Then why go through all the trouble? "


"Ummm… well teukie hyung, the point is… "


"There is no need for hesitation, you can come out and say it."


"You guys were trial subjects. I wanted to make sure the process is effective before I embarked on my mission."


"Mission???"


"Well… I wanted a confession from kyu, " siwon was about to duck away when heechul caught him.


"You wanted the maknae and that is why you took away my figurine?"


"Well in my defense the pull of universe only works on willing people, so there was no coercion of any kind."


"So why did you not confess yourself? Heechul allow siwon to speak."
Heechul now had siwon in an arm lock and was chocking the younger.

 
"I-i just did-id not want to get rejected. If kyu would confess first then it would-it would mean that he loves me… "


Heechul had tighten the grip on siwon’s neck cutting off his explanation.


"You made guinea pig of us. Yah! Masi come back I will kill you." heechul ran behind siwon who had managed to escape from his death grip.


Heechul and kangin started chasing siwon around while the others watched.


"Kyuhyun-nie, are you okay. I thought you would be first to bay for siwon's blood. After all he did kind of forced you to confess."


"Who cares eunhyuk? He did it because he loved me, the ends are important than means. Either way now we are both in a relationship and that is all that matters."


"Wow kyunie, you seem quite Zen about the whole deal. You know among the two of you I thought it would be you who would come up with such tricks to make siwon confess. I guess you cannot take anything on face value. "


"I am offended to know that you think of me as a trickster. I would have you know that I am a person of superior morals; also what wonnie did does not come under trickery. It is a legitimate way to get your love to confess. You are blighting the whole universe that is so rude, you should-"


Everyone cleared out when kyuhyun went on and on. Kyuhyun saw at the far end of the green room, heechul and kangin had finally caught up with siwon and were forcing him to take ‘ugly' selcas as punishment.


As he was enjoying the sight if his boyfriend being bullied, kyu felt his phone vibrate. It was a message from his best friend changmin. He was about to call him back when he heard the PD calling, replying to the message he went to join the other members.


"Plan success. Remind me to double your reward when we meet again."

 

If you like it or hate it, put your thoughts in the comment section.

It means a lot for me to get your feedback.