Fate

R&B

  Jongin grew up in the suburbs of Brooklyn, New York dancing away to music created by many others before him: Rhythm and Blues.

  Kyungsoo grew up surrounded by Classical music, but rebelled against his parents by secretly listening and singing Rhythm and Blues.

  As fate would have it, these two would meet by the one thing that brought excitement to their life.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  Fate brought Jongin to a dance studio.

  He had just been walking past it, but Jongin felt his legs moving towards it, like an unexplainable force was pulling him towards it. When he stepped into the room, he froze. The smell of the polished wood floorings, the glint of the mirrors and the silent hum of silence engulfed Jongin all at once and overwhelmed his senses.

  Hearing the sound of a voice from next door singng an R&B tune.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  Fate brought Kyungsoo to a dance studio.

  He had been carryng his music case (he plays the piano) when a building just ahead numbed his senses and lulled him in. Walking into one of the practice rooms, he was struck by the peace that was present in the room, as well as the underlying feeling of freedom. Never in his life had he felt such a feeling.

  Relying on instinct, he dropped his music case onto the floor and opened his mouth, the threads of a newly-thought out line released. If he heard carefully, he would have been able to hear the swishing and sliding sounds of a dance next foor, moving along to the tune.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  They first met when they left their rooms.

  A small bump happened, and quickly-formed apologies ensured.

  Tanned Skin froze when he realized that Wide Eyes was the creator of those beautiful melodies.

  Wide Eyes was stunned when he realized that Tanned Skin was responsible for sounds tha indicated someone moving along with his singing.

  A few more spoken sentences eventually led the two of them to a nearby coffee sop, where introductions were made.

  Jongin was that poor kid fighting it out in the surburbs, yet still managing to find pleasure and freedom in the form of dancing in his life.

  Kyungsoo had everything Jongin didn't have: plenty of food, both parents, a warm house, a comfortable bed. Yet he was trapped without the one thing that Jongin's had.

  They parted ways that day, each feeling sorry for the other.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  Subsequently, they met at that same dance studio, dancing and singing it out, before calling it a day and leaving for the coffee shop.

  Such a pattern was repeated into a routine, leaving the two dancing around each other, their feelings for each other weaving around each other in threads, entangling them further and further with each other.

  Sometimes, would put extra soul into his dancing, leaving Kyungsoo breathless.

  Sometimes, Kyungsoo would add more passion into his singing, leaving Jongin riding out a wave of exhilaration.

  It continued this way, both taunting the other and leaving the other wanting more.

  Kyungsoo wanted to feel more, the hidden passion that could be released in the middle of a dance.

  Jongin wanted to hear more, the unrestrained ease that could be heard in the middle of a song.

  Two opposite sides of the same coin.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  One day, Kyungsoo invited Jongin to his piano recital.

  The recital hall was grand, classy elegant. Renowned people of Classical music were present; each one anticipating the performance more than the last.

  Fancy.

  The only word that Jongin thought as he manoeuvered his way through the crowd to his seat. And yet, he knew this was where Do Kyungsoo belonged to: the world of chandeliers, fancy desserts and beverages, state-of-the-art polished oak, grand pianos and formal suits.

  He put all those thoughts to the back of his mind when he spotted the small figure with ebony black hair, who was being dwarfed by his own instrument. The small figure with swan white skin, who tickled his way through a Chopin, and then a Mozart.

  The small figure with ruby red lips that walked away with his heart that night.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  One day, Jongin invited Kyungsoo to a dance-off.

  The park was spacious, common, unrefined. Street dancers mulled around, all gawking about to see who would take home the coveted title of 'Street Champion'.

  Rough.

  The only word that came to Kyungsoo's mind as he fought his way through the gathering to find a decent spot to watch from. However, he knew this was where Kim Jongin belonged to: the world of trashcans, pickpockets, cobbled floors, graffiitied walls and tattered streetwear.

  He cleared all those thoughts when he caught sight of a lean body with chocolate brown hair, who seemed to stand out from the rest due to his height. The lean body with mocha-brown skin, who spun his way through one contestant, then another.

  The lean body with plum-coloured lips that made off with his heart that night, together with the title of 'Street Dancer'.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  They were both wrong.

  Red walls with moss crawling along the bricks, stone entrances and peaceful, air-conditioned, cramped rooms were where Jongin and Kyungsoo belonged to.

  Because it was the one place where they could truly be themselves.

  The faint buzz of the air-conditioner in the background, Jongin flopped to the floor, inching over painstakingly to his bottle of water.

  The last two hours witnessed Jongin dancing and Kyungsoo singing, like they always did.

  But something was wrong.

  Kyungsoo was a little off, his usual fiery passion gone, making his singing lacklustre. And when their usual three hours were up, Kyungsoo made a dash for the door.

  Jongin had sensed it happening however, and wanted to speak to Kyungsoo about it. he got up to block the entrance, and Kyungsoo collided into him. Tangled legs and gravity brought the two bodies down, and Jongin was given a clear and up close view of Kyungsoo's face.

  His eyes however, wondered down to Kyungsoo's cherry red lips.

  Jongin's eyes darted up again to Kyungsoo's eyes, making eye contact and seeking permission silently.

  Kyungsoo gave a barely perceptible nod, and slowly, Jongin lowered his lips down to Kyungsoo's.

  It was tender.

  The moment Jongin laid his lips on Kyungsoo's, he knew he would never get tired of kissing Kyungsoo. The kiss sent shocks of bliss to Jongin and Kyungsoo, and the latter shuddered from the passion felt from Jongin.

  Along the way, Kyungsoo's tears joined the intimate moment. Jongin remained unperturbed, kissing away the tears and then Kyungsoo's closed eyes before resuming the assault on Kyungsoo's lips.

  They both came to a conclusion that they never wanted this to end.

________________________________________________________________

 

  Kyungsoo had been invited to study at Vienna. And his parents wanted him to go.

  Going to Vienna meant the end of their studio sessions.

  Going to Vienna meant the end of R&B for him.

  No more coffee sessions, no more street dance-offs.

  No more Jongin.

  They parted ways with heavy hearts: Jongin stunned, Kyungsoo upset.

  Jongin could somehow hear Kyungsoo crying himself to sleep that night, despite the miles that separated their apartments.

________________________________________________________________

 

  He showed up at the Do's doorstep the next day.

  Kyungsoo was out for piano lessons. He wouldn't be present.

  Trying to remain calm as the maid led him in, he hoped that he wasn't going to make the biggest mistake of his life: driving Kyungsoo further away from him.

  Hand on the door handle and looking at the inscribed words on the plaque hanging on the door 'Mr Do', he inhaled deeply, before pressing down and pushing it inwards.

________________________________________________________________

 

  The next time Jongin saw Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo came running. And before Jongin even registered the blinding, heart-shaped smile on Kyungsoo's face, Kyungsoo's lips were on his, kissing the life out of him.

________________________________________________________________

 

  They say fate is a mysterious thing. It certainly is.

  It brought two souls of different background together. Despite all the differences threatening to separate them, they stuck closer together with the one thing that the both of them have.

  It just shows that fate is inevitable.

  Jongin loves dancing R&B. Kyungsoo loves singing R&B. They're from two different worlds, but they managed to do it together.

  And that's all there is to it.