Final.

A Getaway Drive

KWON Inhwa is one independent young woman. Like many girls, she had her own aspirations she wants to achieve. But unlike many, no matter how hard she worked, those aspirations still seemed so distant from her grasp. Two years ago, she was the spearhead amongst SNU second year dentistry students. Now she is a drop out who needed to earn enough to last the next day. With her parents living overseas and cutting off all financial support and an unnie who is never at home, Inhwa had no choice but to rely on her own ability. She had friends from dentistry, but they seldom contact her other than the rare birthday message. Her boss at her workplace, Pancake Paradise could be her only guardian figure. At the least, she had a friendly neighbour who would never say ‘no’ in helping her. She also had a long lost friend who she thought would have forgotten about her existence after many years without contact. And it so happened that this friend walked freely back into her life after an eight year absence. His name is Mark Tuan.

 

It happened on a Saturday night.

 

Inhwa was finishing up her shift at the café. She was about to start va the back of the dining area before she heard the door chime ring in her ears. Her boss called her thereafter.

 

“Inhwa-yah, could you please serve this last customer first? We aren’t closed yet.” Her boss, Jinyoung ordered.

 

“Yes Jinyoungie, I’m coming!” Inhwa quickly ran her way to the counter and greeted the male customer.

 

“Welcome to Pancake Paradise sir! How can I help—“ Inhwa looked up at the young looking male, only to be shocked to see his face. His face was one that was different to the standard Korean guy. Indeed, he was not Korean at all. He was an ‘ABT’, an American-born-Taiwanese, a very familiar one. Inhwa recognised his tall figure, round yet dreamy eyes and velvety lips at an instant. She was so surprised to see him standing in front of her that she could not stop staring at him in total awe.

 

He finally spoke to break the ice.

 

“Did you miss me, Kwon Inhwa?” He asked the stunned girl, giving her his best smile that he had been practicing for years until this day.

 

“M-mark oppa? Are you here for real?” Inhwa asked in disbelief.

 

Mark was Inhwa’s only childhood friend. He was the oppa who used to live next door to her when she was five, while he was eight. They would used to play on the swings at the playground on the next street, build sand castles at the beach, walk their two puppies and even play ‘grown-ups’ with each other. The two basically grew up together, cherishing every moment because they were each other’s only person that they could rely and turn to. They had sworn to never split and stay beside each other until they grow old and have grandchildren. Sadly, all those somewhat naïve dreams disappeared into the night sky when Mark left Korea to return back to LA eight years ago.

 

So, Inhwa really thought that she would never see him again.

 

But here he was, smiling right at her just like he used to when they were kids.

 

“Yes, I am silly girl. Your beloved best friend is back! So where is my hug, Hwa-hwa?” Mark approached Inhwa from around the counter before spreading his arms out wide, waiting for his long-lost friend to jump into.

 

Once Inhwa regained her senses she finally gave her oppa a toothy grin before crashing into his arms and wrapped her arms tightly around his strong waist. She was secretly impressed with the bulkiness of his build as the last time she was in his embrace; he was as thin as a chopstick. Gee, Mark oppa can finally gain muscle from all that exercise, she thought to herself.

 

“How come it took you so long to come back and visit? You never called or emailed me, oppa!” Inhwa complained while giving him hard punches against his equally hard chest. She winced in pain thereafter.

 

“Yah, why are you so tank now?” Inhwa bickered again, like the young and fussy girl she once was.

 

“Enough complaining yet, my Hwa-hwa? Aren’t you going to tell me how much you missed me?” Mark sneered cheekily.

 

“Well, I didn’t miss you one bit! Hmph, you complain just as much as me! Now get out so I can finish off my shift!” Inhwa demanded as she pulled away, rather regrettably, from Mark.

 

“Yah, I see you’re still as bratty as before. You haven’t changed one bit!” Mark teased which caused Inhwa to turn back to face him with evil eyes.

 

“No I am not! Do you want any pancakes or not? We are closing soon!” Inhwa asked in intended annoyance.

 

“No it’s okay because you’re going to cook me my favourite egg roll tonight right? I’ll wait for you outside! Don’t rush!” Mark said before he ran out the door in attempt to avoid further complaining from Inhwa.

 

“Aigoo, this oppa…God I’ve missed him.” Inhwa admitted as she gave him a sweet smile while he waved at her goofily from outside.

 

 

CHOI Youngjae is a boy who once lived under his own rock. He was as isolated as Squidward Tentacles from Spongebob Squarepants. He was the guy who is so shy that he made others uncomfortable before they even tried talking to him. So not many bothered to. In all honesty, Youngjae liked to talk a lot, but he feared that he would get judged negatively. So, he preferred to express himself through music. That was why he is a classical music major. It was from his melodic piano playing during the middle of the night, soothing guitar playing in the afternoon and fresh, whipped cream like singing at dawn that lured a person into his secluded life. That person was Inhwa, his next-door neighbour. They quickly became friends who helped do favours for each other like taking the garbage out or driving one to council meetings. Youngjae enjoyed her company and his feelings grew not long after she started cracking his sturdy shell. But he believed that he was forever friend-zoned because she was friendly to everyone.

 

One night confirmed that belief of Youngjae’s.

 

It was the night when Inhwa brought Mark home after she had finished work.

 

That night was meant to be their weekly movie marathon night, so Youngjae was waiting for her to come over to his place. But seeing her holding onto another man that was not himself and entering her household with grims so big that their teeth would have hurt, Youngjae was pushed aside. Again.

 

Maybe we aren’t that close after all, Youngjae pondered in complete disappointment before walking back into his house with his shoulders drooping to a new low.

 

 

The next morning, Inhwa had woken up extra early because she couldn’t sleep. Her mind was too occupied with anything and everything. Plus, Mark had asked her if she wanted to drive down to Busan with him for a day or two. She happily agreed since she has not visited their old town in a while and she thought it would be nice to make up for lost time with him. But she still felt slightly uncomfortable with going on a trip just with the two of them. Most importantly, she wanted to make up for a terrible and forgetful thing she did to someone special to her - her friendly neighbour.

 

Inhwa walked slowly out of her house and unlocked the gate to make her way next door. Once she faced the two-storey house, she had taken several deep breaths to calm her nerves. The guilt burned inside of her and she feared that Youngjae would rebuild the wall between her and himself again.

 

She finally pressed the doorbell. There was no answer at first so she pressed it again, and for a third time.

 

The door opened which caused her to jump back a few steps.

 

Choi Youngjae was standing right there with disheveled chocolate brown hair, droopy eyes behind his Ray Ban black framed glasses and his sleepwear that consisted of a pair of Spongebob silk pants and a extra deep tank top. He might have looked like a mess in the morning but Inhwa always thought he was the neatest and cutest mess of all.

 

Youngjae widened his eyes slightly, only to stare intently at Inhwa.

 

“What are you doing here?” Youngjae asked in a cold manner.

 

“Good morning, Youngjae! Sorry to disturb you this morning but—“ Inhwa greeted happily, in attempt to act like nothing was wrong. Youngjae interrupted her before she could finish.

 

“You’re always disturbing me. But it looks like you have someone else to disturb now.” Youngjae stated, emotionlessly.

 

“Look, Youngjae about last night, I truly want to apologise! I just got caught up and—“ Inhwa stuttered nervously, before Youngjae suddenly placed his hand on .

 

“You don’t need to explain to me, Inhwa. Is that all you’ve got to say? I have plans with people today.” Youngjae asked rudely. He was still overly upset and somewhat jealous over the incident last night. He knew he should not expect things that are beyond their friendship but he could not help to think that Inhwa treated him as an important person in her life. So, he really did not want to express his anger to her.

 

“No, no! Wait! Would you go to Busan with me?” Inhwa held the doorknob and blurted her offer abruptly.

 

Youngjae turned his back to face Inhwa again.

 

“Busan? With you?” Youngjae asked with his expression grew brighter by the moment.

 

“Yes, with me. Treat it as compensation for last night! I wanted to make it up to you, Youngjae-ah.” Inhwa said shyly.

 

“Well…I guess I could cancel my plans. Okay, I’ll go with you. Seeing how much you want my company. I’ll even drive us there.” Youngjae said coolly, in attempt to hide the fact that he had absolutely no plans at all today. It was just a cover up to make him look stronger.

 

“Yay! Thanks, neighbour! We are leaving in about half an hour. Is that enough time for you to get ready, Spongebob?” Inhwa thanked as she patted Youngjae’s shoulder, which made the sleepy Spongebob frozen in his spot.

 

We? I thought it was just the two of us, Inhwa?” Youngjae said in surprise. He only agreed to going on the trip because he thought he’d be able to spend it with her, and her only. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

 

“Okay, before you get angry again, let me explain.” Inhwa said.

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“So, the guy you saw me with last night is a childhood friend of mine who just returned from LA…He wanted to go to Busan, just with the two of us. And since I cruelly forgotten about our plans last night, I thought it would be fun if you came along with us!” Inhwa explained calmly. She really wanted her neighbour to tag along, not only to ease the awkwardness with Mark but she also needed to talk to Youngjae about some matters.

 

“You’re saying you want me to be the third wheeler?” Youngjae said with a frown.

 

“No, I didn’t mean it like that! I want you to meet Mark because he is basically like an oppa I never had and I thought it would be nice for us to hang out. Plus you never visited Busan before. So, Youngjae would you come?” Inhwa said in panic.

 

“Yeah, Youngjae-ah. Are you still keen on driving?” Mark appeared on Youngjae’s front lawn, which caught the two neighbours in surprise.

 

“I’m guessing that you must be Mark-ssi.” Youngjae acknowledged bluntly.

 

“I’m guessing that you should be calling me Mark hyung.” Mark said threateningly. Youngjae chuckled in response.

 

“Not going to happen.”

 

“Yah, you two! Stop being childish and shake hands. Youngjae, this is Mark oppa. Mark oppa, this is my neighbour Youngjae.” Inhwa said in frustration as she grabbed both of the two males hands and pushed them together. The two males had no choice but to form a handshake, which both immaturely tried to strangle the other’s hand.

 

“Nice to meet you, Mark-ssi.”

 

“The pleasure is mine, Neighbour-ssi.” Mark teased. He wanted to see what this guy’s relationship was to his little Inhwa. So he kept pushing on to make sure if he was a good guy.

 

“Okay, Mark oppa go back inside and help me finish packing the side dishes for your parents. And you, Youngjae, please quickly get dressed and clean up this scruffy hair of yours! We’re only going to stay overnight at the Tuan’s so pack light!” Inhwa ordered the boys, as she reached up to softly her neighbour’s hair, an action that made his stomach filled with butterflies.

 

How can I control myself and avoid her now, Choi Youngjae? Youngjae scolded mentally.

 

 

 

Not long after the three separated, Youngjae was the first one to step outside prepared with his weekend bag. He then drove his black Lexus 4WD out from his driveway onto Inhwa’s. He then winded down the window, wore his Aviators and carefully placed his right arm resting on the edge of the window. He tried to look masculine and visually handsome to impress. A minute later, Inhwa stepped out of her house with Mark tugging onto her.

 

“Nice ride, Youngjae-ah!” Mark complimented as he helped Inhwa to put her bags in the boot.

 

“I know.” Youngjae said coldly, as he jumped out of his seat only to run to Inhwa’s side.

 

“Inhwa, sit in here.” He said softly, as he guided her to the passenger seat with his hand casually placed on her waist. Inhwa did not flinch at his touch because she grew accustomed to his occasional skinship.

 

“Sure, thanks.” Inhwa said with her signature toothy smile.

 

“Anytime.”

 

As the three finally settled in the comfort of Youngjae’s car, Youngjae started the engine and drove off with a happy song in ‘Solo Day’ by B1A4 blasting through the speakers.

 

 

For the next ninety minutes, Youngjae barely spoke a word. The car was noisy, mainly due to Inhwa and Mark’s non-stop laughing and bickering. They would talk about their past history together like how one time their parents made them kiss for the sake of a pretty photograph outside Lotte World during Christmas. Youngjae was silently driving while bearing through their stories, just how a driver would. He envied their relationship because he never had much friends or great memories in his childhood. He struggled to get close to people. That is why he could not help but to feel slightly jealous that the only person he wanted to get closer with did not have nearly as much note-worthy memories as they shared.

 

In attempt to change the mood, or just to unleash his singing talent, which he knew Inhwa fancied, he played FT Island’s ‘Severely’. Then he began to sing. Inhwa immediately turned her attention to him as Mark watched on in amusement.

 

Inhwa started to sing along with Youngjae. She loved this song as much as he did. It was not the first time that she listened to him sing the song. He had played it for her just weeks ago. She noticed a trail of sweat streaming down from his hair to his heated neck and along his nicely toned arms. This made her grab a tissue from her bag and help him wipe the sweat off from his face and arms. Youngjae looked at her and smiled.

 

“Thanks, Inhwa-yah. It’s getting hot.” Youngjae said while he chuckled.

 

“Yah, if it is that hot, turn up the air-conditioning Mr. Powerful Vocal!” Mark teased.

 

After a good hour of further quietness, while Inhwa totally dozed off into a light nap, the boys finally decided to talk. They had to eventually, and to make the next three hours more entertaining, Mark did the honours.

 

“So Youngjae, you’re the same age as Inhwa right?” Mark asked nicely.

 

“Yes, and you must be older?” Youngjae responded.

 

“Only by three years.”

 

“Cool.”

 

“How long have you lived next door to her?”

 

“About three years.”

 

“Well, it’s no wonder that you guys are so close then.”

 

“Pretty much. Inhwa is a nice girl.” Youngjae acknowledged with an uncontrollable smirk which Mark immediately noticed his change from a blunt and moody expression. Now, Mark followed this change and took the opportunity to really figure out this guy.

 

“Is she only nice? What do you really think about her?” Mark asked curiously.

 

“She is a good neighbour and friend. That’s all. But what is she to you?” Youngjae asked.

 

“She was my first love and I think I still love her.” Mark confessed truthfully, only to be given an ‘Oh’ in reply from Youngjae.

 

Mark had always hidden the fact that he truly had feelings for the younger girl. He never felt the small between them, as he believed Inhwa was the more mature one. He clearly knew that the little, naïve Inhwa had liked him a lot back then. But he knew that it could never work out as they were still teenagers and he was going to move back to LA. So, he never confessed. Though, all these years of without seeing or contacting her, he believed he did not stand a chance even if he returned to Seoul. He was almost right. He could sense that the girl and her neighbour had a much deeper relationship than what they expressed to him. He could tell by the way she stares at him and how he takes care of her. Any of his lingering feelings suggest that he should not let her go easily. So he acted even closer to her to bring out the best in what Youngjae has to offer.

 

 

 

With two quick toilet breaks and a bite to eat at a convenience store, the trio finally arrived at Mark’s old house in Busan.

 

Youngjae tapped Inhwa’s shoulder to wake her up. But she did not even flinch. Before Youngjae had gotten out of his seat, Mark already opened her door and placed his hands on her red cheeks and flicked her on her forehead to wake her up. She reluctantly opened her eyes and allowed Mark to carry her out.

 

“Oh my baby son! Come here sweetie!” Mrs. Tuan called as she walked towards the car.

 

“妈妈! I’m home!” Mark attacked his mother, who he has not seen for a year in a bear hug.

 

“Yeah, you finally decided to see your old parents again, huh! Omo, is that Inhwa? Kwon Inhwa?” Mrs. Tuan asked as her eyes fluttered across to Inhwa who stood behind them.

 

“Yes it is Hwa-hwa, 妈!”

 

Mrs. Tuan immediately pushed her son away and enveloped Inhwa into a hug. Youngjae laughed at Mark’s sulking.

 

“Mrs. Tuan! It has been so long!” Inhwa said happily.

 

“Yes, too long! I can barely recognise you now! You have grown even prettier than before!” Mrs. Tuan said as she cusped Inhwa’s cheeks like how a mother would.

 

“Aigoo, I’m not that pretty…”

 

“Eh? This is…?” Mrs. Tuan pointed at Youngjae who walked towards her and Inhwa.

 

“Mrs. Tuan, this is my neighbour and friend, Choi Youngjae.” Inhwa introduced.

 

Being the gentleman he is, Youngjae bowed in the complete 90-degree angle to his elder.

 

“Hello, Mrs. Tuan! My name is Youngjae and I’m pleased to meet you!” Youngjae said politely.

 

“Aigoo, hello Youngjae. You are so well-mannered unlike my son.” Mrs. Tuan joked as she patted Youngjae’s head.

 

“妈how could you?!” Mark whined, which made everyone burst into laughter at his immaturity.

 

“Kids, come on inside! I’ve made some kimbap for you all.” Mrs. Tuan welcomed.

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Tuan! I also brought some side dishes for you that I personally made! They might not be as delicious as yours, but I tried my best!” Inhwa said.

 

“No worries, dear. I’ll eat them well! Inhwa, Youngjae, please make yourselves feel at home! Mark Tuan go and greet your 爸爸, he is waiting for you!”

 

“Yes, 妈!”

 

“Inhwa, let me help you with those.” Youngjae offered as he took Inhwa’s two bags from her hold.

 

“T-thank you.” Inhwa said quietly.

 

As the two walked through the corridor to the guest room where Inhwa would be sleeping, Mrs. Tuan got slightly curious.

 

“Son, is Youngjae Inhwa’s boyfriend? If he is, what are you going to do?” Mrs. Tuan asked.

 

“Not yet, he isn’t. Aigoo, I only liked her when I was a kid. I’m not going to do anything.” Mark admitted, even if he was semi-lying to his mother about his feelings for Inhwa.

 

“Okay, that’s a relief. The two kids match each other well.”

 

“They sure do…”

 

 

 

The trio then walked to the beach after settling in. Once they found a nice spot with umbrellas and seats, Youngjae offered to go to the coffee truck to buy iced Americanos. That left Mark and Inhwa to head down to the water and get wet first.

 

Youngjae returned after a short while with the coffee and watched the two childhood friends play happily from afar. He was not overly jealous, mainly because of Inhwa’s graceful image. So he took out his camera and began taking shots of her playing in the water. He also unintentionally got Mark in some of them too, because he was sticking so close to her. He just let it go and treated as if he was doing them a favour.

 

Inhwa suddenly noticed Youngjae taking photos alone, like he was lost in his own world, so she jumped out of the water and ran to him, leaving Mark in despair.

 

“Youngjae-ah! Let’s get you wet!” Inhwa screamed as she made Youngjae wet with her hugging him tightly. She then made a run for it.

 

“What am I going to do with this girl?” Youngjae sighed as he sped up and chased after her.

 

“Okay now Youngjae is finally in the water let’s play a game,” Mark said excitedly.

 

“It’s called, Protect the Queen, as the bodyguard simply needs to protect his queen from getting snatched away by the evil dark knight, if you want to put it that way. If the bodyguard pushes the knight underwater, ten the knight immediately loses. So, let’s kawibawibo and see who goes first, neighbour!”

 

Kawibawibo!”

 

Youngjae loses first.

 

“Alright, bring it on!” Mark said as he pulled Inhwa behind him while he grabbed a hold of her back.

 

“Let’s do this! She’s going to be mine!” Youngjae yelled as he launched himself onto Mark.

 

The boys start to wrestle with each other, with poor Inhwa going underwater to avoid being hit. Jabs into the body flying here and there, fierce stares firing and legs getting tangled, it was a fun battle. Youngjae tried to escape Mark’s grip on his shoulders as he attempted to reach Inhwa’s hand from below. Only to fail miserably only to get dumped underwater and losing the game.

 

“Mark, one. Youngjae, zero! Come on neighbour, what happened to your so-called strength?” Inhwa teased in delight.

 

“I’ll show you, Kwon Inhwa.” Youngjae challenged as he pulled Inhwa by her waist onto his chest that made her shiver in flutter.

 

It was Youngjae’s turn to protect the girl. He did not let go of her at all. He was holding her hands so tightly like his life depended on this game. It somewhat was to him, as he knew that Inhwa used to, and maybe even still did have feelings for her Mark oppa. So, he was not giving up so easily.

 

But in a body-on-body fight, Youngjae was always going to fall short as Mark caught him off guard and seized a hold of Inhwa.

 

“Assa! I won again! Are you proud, Hwa-hwa?” Mark celebrated with a fist pump through the water that splashed into Youngjae’s face.

 

“Good game. Sorry I couldn’t win for you, Inhwa.” Youngjae said with a sorry smile before swimming back to shore.

 

 

Mark, Inhwa and Youngjae reached back to the house after the refreshing yet slightly deflating swim for the latter. Youngjae was the first to shower off the salt water and wounds inside.

 

“I think Youngjae is a bit down because he hates losing. It damages his already super low self-esteem… So oppa, would you mind helping me to check up on him?” Inhwa asked Mark with slight concern. She saw Youngjae’s blank expression earlier. She knew him well enough, so whenever he stared into empty space and seemed noticeably disconnected, something was up.

 

“You’re worried about him aren’t you? I’ll go see if he is okay, don’t stress too much.” Mark comforted Inhwa before making his way to his room where he was letting Youngjae use for the night.

 

He knocked on the door a few times.

 

Youngjae opened the door immediately.

 

“Oh, Mark hyung.” Youngjae called which gave Mark a shock.

 

“Did you just call me hyung?

 

“Yes, because well, I thought that you are like Inhwa’s real oppa so I should address you as an elder. Why do you want me to call you Mark-yah?” Youngjae joked.

 

“Okay, fine. Just call me hyung since I’m clearly older than you. Now come out for dinner, 妈 cooked Taiwanese style chilli crab with steamed buns for you two.” Mark told the younger.

 

“Yes, hyung. I really appreciate you and your parents for letting us stay here.” Youngjae thanked sincerely. Mark wondered what had gotten into him because he was a depressed man not long ago and now he is acting respectful and courteous.

 

“No worries. Oh and Youngjae?”

 

“What’s up?”

 

“Keep that smile on your face for Inhwa. She’s worried sick for you after your PMS mood earlier.” Mark gave Youngjae a friendly punch in the guts and walked towards the dining room.

 

 

The Tuan family and the two neighbours enjoyed a lovely home-cooked meal. Inhwa and Youngjae voluntarily helped to clean up the table and wash all the dishes. It was one thing they could do to show their appreciation.

 

Mrs. Tuan sliced some oranges, apples and watermelon for dessert. Mr. Tuan was not a man with many words, but he wanted to make his guests feel welcome.

 

“Inhwa, are you getting by well by yourself? I imagine it would be lonely at times since your family is in Japan.” Mr, Tuan asked caringly.

 

“Yeah, it’s hard and I do miss my parents a lot. My sister is not usually home because she works late hours. My studies had to be halted too. But I’m coping.” Inhwa explained with positivity, not to let the Tuan’s worry.

 

“Having such a lovely neighbour sure does help, doesn’t it Inhwa?” Mrs. Tuan teased, while watching for Youngjae’s expression. He just smiled.

 

“I’m lucky to have Youngjae. He is a great friend.” Inhwa admired Youngjae with a friendly on his arm. Youngjae indeed liked her affection, but he again felt like he was being shoved into the corner where the rest of her guy friends belonged in. That is, everyone except Mark.

 

“Hey, 妈! Since you like Youngjae so much, you would like him even more when you hear him sing!” Mark playfully teased the lost boy.

 

“Omo, really? Come on Youngjae let’s hear you sing!’

 

“Come on Youngjae-ah, show us your talent.”

 

Inhwa urged Youngjae on because she obviously wanted to listen to him sing too.

 

“This is ‘Wild Flower’ by Park Hyo Shin. I hope you like it. Here I go…” Youngjae announced shyly, before taking one last breath. Then he started to sing with his heart’s content.

 

Hiding in the cold wind,

Melting down under the single ray of sunlight


That’s how you came to me once more

 

Only good memories, only a longing heart


On the path where you left me

I’m standing alone


Only until I can forget you, until I will be alright


I’ll swallow my tears and at the end of my wait

I will bloom once again

 

Youngjae finished the part with mesmerising hums that sounded like honey. Mrs. Tuan could not stop admiring the young boy. Mr. Tuan clapped in awe. Mark gave him the thumbs up. While Kwon Inhwa, who was still sitting next to him, was crying. She was not sobbing. She tried not to let tears fall down her cheeks. She had not want to feel embarrassed in front of everyone and certainly not to appear weak in front of Youngjae. But it was too late. Youngjae noticed the girl who he indirectly dedicated the song to, was crying.

 

Damn, I made her cry again… Youngjae thought regrettably. It was not the first time that Inhwa cried while he was singing. He thought this time, she was not crying because she liked his singing but she was hurt. Those tears were not happy tears. It did not occur to him that he basically conveyed he would only be fine if he ever stopped waiting for her. He was never fully aware of the impact he had on her. It had always been more than just friendship for Inhwa.

 

“Inhwa, why are you crying silly?” Youngjae asked in worry, before wrapping his arms around her for a light hug.

 

“I-I am okay, Youngjae. Good job…” Inhwa said.

 

Suddenly, Mark grabbed her hand and pulled her out of Youngjae’s embrace.

 

“Inhwa-yah, come outside with me. Oppa needs to talk to you, in private.” No one stopped them.

 

“I’ll pack up the fruits, Mrs. Tuan.” Youngjae offered kindly but as soon as he turned his back, his smile dropped completely.

 

 

Mark walked with Inhwa to the balcony for their chat. It was the furthest and most private area on the Tuan property. Mark was prepared to say what he really felt deep inside about him liking Inhwa and how he is going to deal with the girl and her neighbour’s relationship.

 

“Inhwa, thank you for agreeing to come out.” Mark thanked.

 

“Sure, I needed to get out of there. I did not know why I was crying like that… Foolish me.” Inhwa said.

“Don’t run away from me after I’ve finished my words, got it?”

 

“I’m all ears, Mark oppa.” Inhwa agreed.

 

“You probably didn’t know that…I used to like you back then. Honestly, seeing you again… I may very well still do but,” Mark began, before checking if Inhwa was coping with his sudden confession. She was as still as a pole.

 

“Inhwa, you have fallen for your neighbour haven’t you?” Mark finished with the final blow to his and Inhwa’s wounds.

 

Inhwa looked down to her feet to compose herself.

 

“N-no, it’s not like that Mark oppa. Youngjae is only—“ Inhwa tried to cover her inner feelings up again, but his time Mark is not going to let her hide in her comfortable shadows anymore.

 

“Aigoo, Inhwa-yah. Why are you trying to lie to your oppa?” Mark said while poking her several times on her cheeks.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry oppa…but how did you know?” Inhwa asked in disbelief, She thought she hid everything so that no one would figure her feelings out.

 

“Well, I can tell because the way you two look after each other, smile at each other and stare at each other is way more passionate than any other regular neighbours. Like my neighbour chucks lemons at me every morning because he has anger issues…” Mark joked as he made Inhwa giggle.

 

“And plus, Inhwa, you know that the boy likes you too or else he wouldn’t have accepted your invitation for this weekend getaway to my place here in Busan, let alone drive us here.” Mark explained with his full sincerity. He wanted Inhwa live blissfully with the man she treasured most even if it were not he, at least not anymore. He was content and satisfied that he was once that person to her.

 

“You’re right Mark oppa, what am I waiting for? I’ve known Youngjae for three years and we’ve been there for each other when there was no one else to lean on.” Inhwa realised after a much needed wake-up call to reality. That reality was, she did not wait for that special person to walk into her life, because he had been walking laps around it for a long time now. It was about time that she walked with him, this time holding his hand so tightly that neither her nor he can let go.

 

Mark unexpectedly leaned closer towards Inhwa’s pale, cold face and planted a brief kiss on her cheek before whispering,

 

“Exactly. And it looks like you don’t have to wait any longer.”

 

 

Before they knew it, the sliding door opened loudly with a piercing shriek. The flame-grilling crooner sprinted to the amused Mark and stunned Inhwa. Youngjae abruptly stood between the two and took the hand of his neighbour and dragged her towards his side. He sent daggers through those large luminous, black eyes to the laughing rival of his.

 

“Kwon Inhwa, I need to tell you something important because if I don’t say it now, I might never have the chance again. Please excuse us, Mark hyung.” Youngjae said at a lightening speed. Inhwa was startled but she was utterly pleased at Youngjae’s rare burst of courage.

 

“Hold up, hold up. Don’t break her wrist while you’re at it!” Mark teased as he tore apart the two connecting hands. Inhwa looked into Youngjae’s eyes in attempt to read through his intentions. But she was too flustered to do so. Youngjae did not dare to look back at the girl.

 

“Ah, sorry about that.” Youngjae shook her off and fluffed his hair like his normally shy self.

 

“Now, Youngjae-ah, she is all yours. You better not make me regret this.” Mark encouraged before leaving the two alone on the balcony.

 

Awkward silence had filled the breezy air for a good while.

 

Inhwa finally spoke up, like she always did whenever Youngjae was unresponsive to all surroundings.

 

“If you’re not going to say anything, I’m going to bed…it’s late.” Inhwa said with a smirk.

 

Youngjae immediately held her back from shifting further and placed his other hand on hers. He made a decision that he should have made centuries ago. Now he was ready. There was no hiding now.

 

“Kwon Inhwa, I like you.” Youngjae confessed with a goofy smile.

 

“Took you long enough, shy boy.” Inhwa suddenly shot up from her toes to press her lips softly onto his for a kiss, a kiss she had been dreaming to give for a while. As she pulls back and admires Youngjae’s adorably stunned face, she just laughed at him like a little girl.

 

Youngjae finally reacted to her kiss. He held onto her neck to draw her petite body forward onto his and crashed his lips onto hers for a strong, powerful kiss. He began to delicately on the top of her lips and she gladly returned the favour. Inhwa then opened a slight entrance to her moist mouth for his tongue to explore her sticky walls. She moaned at his ticklish touch that brought her a totally new sensation that she can easily overdose on. Youngjae slowly pulled away from Inhwa’s lips before pecking her twice like she was as sweet and smooth like a toffee apple.

 

“So, do you still think I am a shy boy?” Youngjae asked in amusement.

“Always.” Inhwa replied as she kissed him again.

 

“Let’s go back in…we don’t want to keep the Tuan family awake.” Youngjae said as he boldly took her hand and interlaced her fingers through his own.

 

Youngjae walked Inhwa back to her room. As they reached the door, she suddenly wrapped her arms around his waist and dragged him into her embrace.

 

“I’m glad you told me that you like me because I was going to do it on this trip. Good thing I didn’t embarrass myself. Thank you, my neighbour.” Inhwa said sweetly.

 

The love struck boy placed his arms around her shoulders and threaded through her luscious hair with his fingers.

 

“Thank you too, Inhwa. For not letting me down. For being more than my next-door neighbour for three years. For making me coffee in the morning. For liking me…wait you haven’t admitted it yet!” Youngjae exclaimed, almost baffled that he was the only one who confessed properly.

 

“Aigoo, why would I kiss you like that if I didn’t like you, Youngjae-ah.” Inhwa said confidently, making Youngjae whine.

 

“You always have to be this cool don’t you?” Youngjae whispered against her neck.

 

“You know you love it.” Inhwa chuckled.

 

“Okay, okay cool girl. Go to sleep now. Good night, sweetheart.” Youngjae said as he kissed her forehead before letting her go, very reluctantly.

 

“Good night. Oh and Youngjae?”

 

“Yes, Inhwa-yah?”

 

“I don’t like pet names like sweetheart.” Inhwa said in disgust.

 

“Got it, yeobo.” Youngjae teased as he ran off leaving Inhwa laughing to herself, in utter happiness.

 

 

The next morning Youngjae woke up with a victorious grin plastered all over his face. He walked out of the room, only to see Mark at the door.

 

“Good morning lover boy! Had a good dream about Inhwa?” Mark greeted playfully.

 

“Morning to you too, hyung. Yes I did in fact. You didn’t did you?” Youngjae teased which earned him a knee in the crotch. He cries in pain.

 

“Yah, kid don’t push your luck with me. You better take good care of Kwon Inhwa or else I’ll deal with you with my own two hands got it?” Mark warned half-heartedly, but Youngjae knew that he meant every word. He was not going to let him down because Mark really did let him have his way with Inhwa.

 

“Understood, Mark hyung. I will never make her cry nor will I ever leave her alone. You have nothing to worry about.” Youngjae assured seriously.

 

“Good, as long as you know. I wish you two all the best. Have a safe drive home and I’ll see you when I next visit my Hwa-hwa.” Mark said before heading into the kitchen.

 

Inhwa hopped out of her room in a gorgeous white summer dress and made her way to the living room with her luggage ready. Youngjae was waiting for her at the door, and once he caught her eye, he waved so cheerfully that it shocked everyone. When he arrived, he was just a well mannered yet blank young man and now he left as a rejuvenated lovebird. Mrs. and Mr. Tuan was glad the two kids worked out their feelings after a shot, invigorating vacation, even if it meant their son had to given up his love. They were very proud of their son’s maturity and so were he himself.

 

“Thank you so much for having us, Mr. and Mrs. Tuan. We had a wonderful time here in Busan with you guys. It gave us a warm family feeling that we’ve missed. Thank you, again!” Youngjae said, as he grabbed Inhwa’s hand to bow in front of the two elders.

 

“Mark oppa, you’re not coming back with us?” Inhwa asked her beloved oppa.

 

“Nah, how could I disrupt you two lovebirds from sharing your first days together as a couple? So, I’m going to spend more time with these oldies here.” Mark said, hugging both of his parents in delight.

 

“Thank you oppa!” Inhwa thanked as she gave Mark a hug.

 

“Thanks Mark hyung.” Youngjae said with a handshake.

 

“Kid, you’re always welcome to come and visit again! Don’t be shy, especially you Youngjae-ah!” Mr. Tuan said happily.

 

“Youngjae-ah, next time I want to go to a karaoke bar with you and your girlfriend!” Mrs. Tuan teased, which caused the couple to blush madly.

 

“Not a problem!” Youngjae and Inhwa said in unison.

 

“Alright, have a safe drive home! Don’t get too naughty alone in a vehicle!” Mark said wittily.

“Yes, yes, we won’t. Bye everyone! We love you!”

 

The couple then left the Tuan residence and hopped into Youngjae’s car.

 

As soon as they both got settled in their seats, their eyes locked horns and traded full, affectionate smiles so big that their gums would have burst. Youngjae then took the initiative to place his hand on Inhwa’s neck to draw her in for a melting, romantically chaste kiss.

 

“Choi Youngjae.”

 

“What is it, Kwon Inhwa?”

 

“This has been the best getaway drive ever.”