001.

Half-hearted

Horns were blaring when a young man jolted up in his sleep. A sudden nausea caused him to hit back the sheets and groan slowly, covering his ears, trying to wash out the angry blaring of cars in the morning. One thing that he hated the most in mornings is the consistent noise outside the apartment he had shared with his mother. The male peeked out from under his shelter staring at the digital clock beside his bed, 7:12am. It wasn't all new to him but it wasn't a nice wakeup call either. He'd rather have his mom nagging at him to get up and wash himself or he'll be late for school, he scoffed at the thought. When was the last time that happened? More than 4 years he believed... or more. He couldn't remember. The last memory of something similar to that was just a few days ago, his mother had kicked him awake at about 4 in the morning. She was reeking with the smell of alcohol that even the young man felt intoxicated. He jolted in his sleep to find her crying, holding something close to her chest. He knew exactly what that was. He ran to her side, enveloping the woman in his arms as he rocked her softly, whispering words that he knew were lies long ago. The latter stopped sobbing before he noticed and he carried her on the bed, still clutching tightly on the particular item the young man wanted to throw away a long time ago. He was about to leave when he heard another quiet sob escape his mother's lips and he came rushing back, soothing her hair and saying that one lie he had used to calm her everytime this happened. "He'll come back."

It wasn't new to Jongin when he found the apartment empty; his mom might have stayed for work again. She had been for the past month and he could clearly see that it was taking a toll on her body. Jongin had told her to take just a day off so that she could rest but she insists on taking all the shifts she possibly can. They weren't in debt but Jongin knew that they weren't saving anything for themselves, they were just getting by. The male had told his mother that he should just stop going to school, he could be working to help her but she always brushed it off saying that he needs to finish college. That way, he'll be able to make it to those big corporations and that they wouldn't be stuck in that hell hole of a place. Jongin knew his mother wanted to renovate the whole place when they first arrived, his mother would complain about everything but it was what they could afford during that time, up until now. Stumbling around the place, he found himself on the couch, slacked and yawning, browsing through some channels on the local tv. He'd always stumble upon the news that he got accustomed to watching it before he left for school. Nothing was new, economic growth, news about celebrities, international sports some road watch and occasional tragedies or accidents; nothing was ever new. With a slight shake of his head, he stood up and got ready for his morning class.

● ● ●

School was always a drag. Jongin had hated it ever since he was in elementary school. There was something about meeting new people that irked him and he didn’t want to have so many people around him, he only wanted to have a small circle of friends. One thing that he wasn’t fond of was having lots of people to look out for, it’s not that he was indifferent about it, but it just means that he’s more detached; freer. He slings his backpack over his shoulder, entering the campus, heaving a sigh as he stepped in. Nothing was new, the stares he got was pretty much nothing to him now. Two boys come running next to him, a tall one comfortably holding him by the shoulder, another one who was much smaller in height, laughing at the side lines. Jongin grumbled when he was in a head lock, quickly slipping under the taller male’s hold.

“Chanyeol, what the hell? Do you know how much I value my life? You choke like a ing wrestler, how many times have I told you that?” He hissed while the two other males just laughed at how their friend was complaining.

“Jongin, you know we always do this when we see you. Lighten up will ya?” The giant hooked his arms over Jongin’s shoulder again, the other, hooking on to the other guy beside him. Jongin just shook his head like most days. If it wasn’t for the two guys beside him, who knows where he’ll be and what he’ll be doing in this hell hole they call school.

Stepping inside the building and towards the lockers, the three friends separated ways, being that their lockers were too far away from each other but they all have somewhere to meet up right after, Jongin’s. Taking out a couple of books, he stuffed it in his back pack before turning around to find two of his friends already grinning at him, causing him to jolt back a little.

“What the hell? Can’t you two hold down your urges to jump on me?” Jongin grumbled and the two other boys just shook their heads as they both snickered, pulling Jongin along with them.

“The advantage of having you as a friend is that we have all this attention wherever we go. you and your handsome face.” The smallest of the three, Baekhyun, pointed out as eyes followed the trio from across the hallway. It wasn’t knew, the three of them had experienced this since middle school when they all decided to be buddies (most likely Chanyeol had forced Jongin to come with him and Baekhyun). Ever since then, the three had been seen together in campus.

“They just want a piece of this guy honestly. I even heard some guys want you to fuc—” Jongin had clamped down on Chanyeol’s mouth, hissing at the other as the girls around them squealed to see the three boys joking around and playing with each other, Baekhyun joining in with a fit of laughter to keep the two guys from mauling at each other.

“Okay, break it up. We’re gonna be late for class, idiots. Chanyeol, leave him alone. Jongin, you know him.” Baekhyun gestured over Chanyeol who was snickering like a mad man. “He just can’t leave you alone for one minute without actually pissing you off. Now, let’s all get to class.” And with that the eldest, pushed the two boys forward, aiming to reach the classroom without causing another commotion.

● ● ●

One thing Jongin hates the most are lectures; those long talks about things that requires you to listen. One thing that the boy didn’t have the patience for is listening. Don’t get him wrong, there are a lot of people who didn’t want to listen to lectures and Jongin was in the handful of people. Sighing, he just kept on drawing squiggles on the page of the book the teacher had instructed them to read. He read alright, but he knew that Mr. Hong would probably blab for the next remaining minutes about it so why bother?

“It was King Taejo’s great grandson, Sejong who ruled after him and during this time, the era blossomed ever brighter. Can anyone from the class tell me what King Sejong contributed during his time?” Mr. Hong looked around his class who looked bored, typical. It had always been like this since he started teaching History. It seems like everyone just takes this class for granted and he needed to make sure that everyone was still listening, or at least trying to.

“Ah, yes, Jongin. I’m pretty sure you know the answer.” Jongin snapped his head up, looking directly in the eyes of his teacher, slowly closing his notebook. He wasn’t listening, heck he didn’t even hear the question. He gulped before standing up, his classmates, looking towards his attention as they waited for his response.

“I— could you please repeat the question Mr. Hong?” The young male replied, scratching his nape, causing some of the students to turn back to the board. Mr. Hong, being the patient man that he is, repeated the question.

“Ah, that. I’m sure he did something that revolutionized how we see things right now…” Jongin trailed off as he tried to rack his brain for answers. Mr. Hong crossed his arms, waiting patiently for what his student has to say. The girls in his class sighed dreamily as they stared at Jongin who looked like he was on a hot seat.

“I— you know. He made that thing that we all know now.” He continued as Mr. Hong nodded his head, a sign that he was on the right track. He glanced at the clock. 3:59, just one more minute. He just needed to stall for a while so the bell would ring.

“King Sejong was known to be a great king because of what he discovered, Koreans now still use that..” He continued, stealing glances on the clock. Just a little more…

“As much as I admire King Sejong’s work, Jongin, I’m sure that your classmates would like to know what he actually did, don’t you?” Mr. Hong added, his brows creasing, knowing that his patience was already on its limit.

Before Jongin could say anything more, there was a faint knock on the door, all attention focused on the intruder. Mr. Hong instructed the boy to sit down, as he did so quietly. The Principal was there at their room’s door which was quite unusual for them since he’d usually call students instead of visiting them. Mr. Hong gave a quick bow before the Principal nodded and eyed the whole class.

“Kim Jongin? In my office, now. Bring your things as well.” Jongin quickly stood up, gathering all his belongings as he stepped his way over to the front, exiting the room as he waited for the Principal to come out.

“Sir, is there something I’m in trouble with? Am I expelled? I’m sure I didn’t do anything.” The young man started talking as soon as the door closed. The Principal shook his head, extending his hand to pat Jongin’s shoulder encouragingly. He looked more confused than ever, something churning in the pit of his stomach.

“Your mother is in a critical condition.”