Final

Cuddling Buddy
It was a warm July night, perfect for the beach. The night was filled with stars, the waves were crashing, the wind was blowing slightly, kids were running with ice pops in their hands, and fire works were in the sky. My entire family had come down the to the beach for two weeks for a family reunion. There were couples everywhere and then, there was I. 
 
My birth given name is Wang Lei, but my American name is Leila Wang. I'm 17 years old, on my way to college, and I've never dated anyone. It's not that I've never had an interest though. There were a few crushes, but they were the popular kind; handsome but jerks, kind but at the same time rude. There was also my super sweet, yet slightly cocky best friend that I had slightly developed feelings for. I've lived a pretty simple life, for the most part I would say. My parents are both immigrants from Hong Kong and doctors. I have an older brother named Ka-yee but his American name is Jackson, who is 20, majoring in medicine, and has been in a relationship for the past 3 years. I don't really have friends, as I preferred reading and studying then socializing, thus also one of the reasons I don't have a boyfriend. 
 
As I was saying earlier, my family and I were at a family reunion that was actually actually a "come show how happy you are in your love life on a beach" get together. Most of my cousins were around my age and were in happy relationships. They could be seen walking together on the beach near the ocean, sitting by the campfire, or cuddling together on a beach towel laid on the sand. 
 
Cuddling. 
 
On a perfect night like this, all I needed was someone to cuddle up with. But instead, I was laying down alone on the huge beach towel, clad in denim shorts, a crop top, and flip flops. I looked up at the sky to see a shooting star. 'All I want right now is a cuddling buddy,' I opened my eyes to only see my best friend (and the guy I was developing romantic feelings for) for the past 11 years, Mark Tuan, smiling with two ice cream cones. 
    
"Hey Lei-Lei," he says, handing me one of the cones sitting next to me. I wanted to slap him for calling my the most annoying nick name. but he got me free ice cream. 
    
"Thanks, dim sum," smiling at him. Ever since we were little, Mark had always looked like the Chinese food dim sum, thus the reason I called him that. "Why are you here?" I ask. 
 
"Well, as long as my handsome self remembers, I was invited to this family reunion by you," 
 
"Not what I meant, dimwit. I mean what are you doing here on the beach? It's almost midnight. Shouldn't you be trying to hit on a girl?" 
 
"Nah. I decided to spend time with my best friend," he says with a cheeky smile, throwing his arm around my shoulders. 
 
"You got rejected by the girl at the ice cream parlor, didn't you?" I laugh. 
 
"Shut up. She wasn't even that cute," Mark tried to shake it off. "Anyways, what are you doing you doing here alone?"
 
"Waiting for a handsome and nice boy my age walk by so we can cuddle," I say, stretching my legs in front of my. "This night is so perfect for cuddling. I would do anything to live this night forever," 
 
"I'm handsome, nice, and your age. Ayyyy, does our little Lei-Lei have a crush on me?" Mark grinned. I thought for a minute. Should I answer or not? 
 
"Uhhhh....." See that moment where I almost embarrassed myself? "You wish I liked you," It was brief. But it was there. 
 
Mark and I continue to sit there until he finally broke the silence. "Lei-Lei?" 
  
"Hmm?" I nod, paying attention to the sky, eating my ice cream. 
 
"Wanna cuddle?" he asks. His face was bright red and his eyes were avoiding mine. 
 
"Lol, why?" I chuckle. 
 
"Well, um, you said that you wanted a c-cuddling buddy. And I decided to be a good b-best friend," he manages to say after stuttering. 
 
"Fine, if you insist," I fake sigh. I finish my ice cream cone and lay back down, my head placed on Mark's chest with his arm around my shoulder. "You know," I say after a while of silence,"this actually isn't that bad," 
 
"Well, you are with cuddling with the Mark Tuan - " 
 
"Oh, shut up, dim sum," I say, slightly slapping his chest. He slightly pouted, but then smiled a few moments later. 
 
"Thanks for inviting me, Leila," he says. "I'm really having fun here," 
 
"Well if I didn't invite you, then Mom would've," I slightly chuckle. There was silence again. But, not the awkward silence. A good silence. We got lost in each others' embrace and the night that we didn't notice the time. 
 
"Jackson just texted me, Leila. He said that your parents are looking for you," Mark says. 
 
"Tell them we'll be back soon," I say, letting a sigh escape from my lips. 
 
"What's wrong?" Mark asks, turning his head towards me. 
 
"Nothing. I just really like this. Us cuddling while looking up at the perfect night. I don't want this night to end," I say. 
 
"Well who said it had to end? Just close your eyes, and this night will always be there," he chuckles, bringing me closer to him. "You know how they say being in Disney is the best feeling ever?" 
 
"Yeah?" I ask, slightly confused on where this was going to go. 
 
"Well, they've never been in your arms," he said, kissing my cheek lightly. I smile as my cheeks turn red. I shift my head so it was on the middle of Mark's chest. Looks like maybe I wouldn't be that lonely since I found my cuddling buddy.