The Crash

A Twisted Fairytale in Neverland & Wonderland
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyday I wished and wished to travel to new places, be an explorer and go to places that are yet to be discovered. But no, all my parents say is ‘honey, you have a whole life ahead of you. That’s why you should go live with your cousins in New York for a few months’. That’s why I’m going to New York today from Austin. I’m on my way to the airport and I‘m feeling rather bored and lost since I don’t know the route to the airport well. As well as I’m trying to memorize the route, I couldn’t help but notice a few gangster-like guys smoking in a corner, secretly near the airport. The car skidded to a stop at Terminal 3 and my parents rushed out to get my luggages out of the trunk. I followed them out and watched the citizens walk here and there, chattering with excitement or happiness.

 

I’m not happy. I never asked for this. I just wish to travel around the world, discovering new things. The groan of my Mom took me back to reality. Mom was having a hard time taking the luggage out. “Um, Mom, I got this,” I told her gently, grabbing the handle of the luggage, and pulling it out with just a little strength. How can I blame Mom for being weak? She’s been on business vacations, working many part-time jobs and staying up late and waking up super early for her extremely many jobs. As for Dad, he works as an engineer. He’s always busy, been there done that, and he’s weak but not as weak as Mom. I tugged my 2 small luggages and my favorite duffel bag as I slowly approached the entrance of Terminal 3. My parents followed behind.

 

They have never been to an airport since the age of 31 when they went on a honeymoon to Florida. They must be pretty nervous for their first time in 20 years entering an airport. I sighed, entered the airport and breathed in the cool air of the several air-conditioners up above high on the ceiling. Mom and Dad stared and gasped, looking about. There’s those kinds of cafes where the waiters and waitresses seem to serve some free food, escalators prettily decorated with flowers and leaves on the sides and many shops. The place is huge! “I-I can take it from here, Mom, Dad,” I said turning around to face them. “It’s alright. I know this airport more than our home.” And it’s true. I have been here hundreds of times since I was 7 months old, mostly with my relatives but not with my parents.

 

“Are you sure, honey?” Mom asked worriedly, looking at me.

 

I nodded, seizing my luggage handle more tightly. “More than ever. It’s OK.”

 

Dad pulled me in for a hug and so did Mom. Dad whispered, “Take care alright, sugarpop? Call us OK?” They did not let me go for at least a minute until I said, “Mom, Dad, you can let go now.”

 

They let go slowly. Both Mom and Dad waved at me goodbye, watching me make my way t the escalator. “Bye, Mom. Bye, Dad! Love you,” I exclaimed, stepping onto the escalator and taking myself up to the 1st floor. The last I heard was my Mom and Dad saying ‘we love you, Wendy’. I sniffed back a tear secretly and surveyed the surroundings. The airport became more beautiful and somehow, spacious than last time I came here. People bustled about, making everything look more lively as well as bright. When I was young, I used to play hide-and-seek with my older sister who moved away to California to stay there for a few years. I always won as I knew the place pretty good but I got lost once, started cry and saying loudly ‘Mommy! Daddy! Sis! I’m all alone!’ and this kind lady named Kim Yuri who’s about 6 years older than me, and who works in a coffee shop, Starbucks, came up to me with some sweets and help me find my way back. She worked at a very young age, I think about, 14.

 

She still works there and usually, she gives me free discount whenever I buy a lot from Starbucks. I’m headed to there now, and I see her cleaning up a table in a corner while talking on her new-looking phone. I tugged my luggages and bag, coughed and stood behind her, hoping to get her attention. She turned around with a surprise look on her face, her face fell, she hung up and squealed slightly as she hugged me. “Long time no see, Wendy,” Yuri said, going back to cleaning the table. I replied, “You too. Notice anything different about me?” I stood stiffly and smiled at her.

 

“Omigod, you didn’t!” she gasped and grabbed my hand, and just stare at the freshly manicured nails.

 

I grinned, saying, “Yes I did. It’s awesome right?” I showed her both my hands proudly and glanced at the clock above. It’s just 12. 00 p.m. and my flight is only at 1 so I still have an hour, no problem.

 

Yuri said while twirling her hair, “Well, I thought of having one last week but my salary is kind of low after wasting it all on some new, expensive but pretty clothes. It was worth it anyways!” She shrugged.

 

I giggled a bit and ordered her, “A sugar honey bagel please. Thank you.”

 

Yuri went to the counter, grabbed a paper bag, and in went a sugar honey bagel. She handed it to me, winked and responded swiftly, “It’s free.” I stared at her weirdly so she added, “Besides, we’ve known each other for like…what, 15 years. It’s free, don’t worry about me getting into trouble. I always do this. Adios, I gotta go. Duty calls.” She half smiled and went into the kitchen. She’s so kind!

 

                                                                                         ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It’s quarter to one, I’m nibbling on the sugar honey bagel while sitting in the huge waiting room or ‘place’ as I call it. I watched the airplanes take off and land, take off and land. The first time I rode an airplane was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter