Final.

Mafia Matchmaker

[Heejin's POV]

I groaned as the alarm clock went off, yet again. 9pm. Another day, or you could say night. My schedule currently is leave at 5 am in the morning, to work as a medical intern, go to the health sciences faculty at 1pm, get off at 4pm, and then 5pm until 8pm would be studying at the library. You think I would be done by then, but actually, 9pm to 12am would be my job as bartender in a pub down the street. 

Five hours of sleep every night isn't so bad if there was something to look forward to (such as new bakeries opening up around here and everything was on promotion), but today was just same old. When there wasn't a significant amount of homework, I was able to catch up on an hour of nap time. Weekends were mostly just work and training, and the only satisfying part was being able to sleep in until eight in the morning. 

My life wasn't just abnormal in the busy schedule. Afterall, the only reason I worked in a bar and not anywhere else (and specifically Red Cap Pub) was because of a very special reason.  

Though the mafia was too powerful for the city's somewhat cowardly police, they aren't at the height of being able to just kill people and leave. Last time a gang fight broke out, they had been chased out of their previous meeting spot, so now, Red Cap Pub, was taken over by our city's most violent and influencial mafia. 

I work for this mafia. His daughter is my mentor, my trainer. And though being only a few years older than me, she is especially skilled in slaying people without leaving traces, quite literally.

I've never killed anyone, though. It was against my nature as a doctor, and they all knew I wasn't skillful enough, despite years of training. It was like I didn't want to progress, and truthfully, I really didn't. I frequently laughed on my own about the contradiction between by two jobs. I couldn't leave the organization either, considering they were the ones who raised me at a young age after my parents had both died in a plane crash. They gave me education, money, and the comfy little condo I'm currently residing in. For crying out loud, they were the ones paying for my medical training right now! 

 

My task wasn't killing people, but it wasn't like my job was anything better.

I might as well just get my hands on a person and stab them, as long as I could get over it later on in my life. 

 

My job varies from time to time. It used to be just getting people drunk, or maybe spilling something in their beverage by 'accident' to get them to pass out. Currently, I don't really have an assignment, so I'm just on hold, I guess. It was best to stay quiet and take a break, since anything can attract the cops' attention. 

It was autumn, and the chilly night breeze had a disconsolate air to it, and as if I wasn't already creeped enough, the humming wind whooshed past me with a dramatic effect. The night sky was clear, the full moon glowering at me.

This evening had an unsettling, pessimistic feel to it. As if on cue, an unknown moving object bumped into me, and it took all my years of training to not shriek in horror. I cursed under my breath and looked up at the lanky person, who was only a foot away from me. Being associated with a mafia, and being naturally sensitive, I had immediately put up my guard. But then I found it was unnecessary when the man opened his mouth to speak. 

"H-hi, what's up." The man slurred.

My first impression was that he's probably drunk. A pungent scent of alcohol came from his breath, and being in a bar long enough, I recognized it to be mostly vodka, mixed with a tad of rum, which he had probably had in the beginning. His eyes were staring at me, but it was so unfocused that it seemed that he was looking right through me. A strand of hair had fallen in front of his left eye, which led to an defined nose, and finally his full lips curved into a ridiculous smile.  

"Can I help you?" I raised a brow. The man, being utterly oblivious to his surroundings, my cheek with a long finger and grinned even wider. I was glad it was night so he couldn't see my cheeks steadily becoming red. 

The next thing I knew, he collapsed on me, falling into my arms as I dropped to the ground on my knees with his head on my shoulder.

I gulped. He smelled good. 

I weighed my decisions of whether I should go to work and leave him here, or take him home. I didn't know him, so knowing his address was beyond impossible. I found myself staring at his chiseled face, which was mesmerizingly beautiful under the moonlight. 

"I guess your looks just saved you, stranger." I told him quietly as I dragged him home in guilt, ashamed of myself for giving into an attractive being

 

                                                                                                             * * *

 

[Chanyeol's POV]

I didn't know whether it was the ray of sunlight shining into my eyes that woke me up, or the pain that struck me, ruining my lovely dream. Such a pity.

I raised my free hand and massaged my temples while glancing around the unfamiliar surroundings.

Judging by the room's furnishings, I predicted it to be a girl's bedroom. It wasn't fancy or anything, but the clean floral scent seemed rather feminine. 

"Are you awake?" A gentle female voice asked. A slender girl with long flowing hair walked in. Though she wasn't that tall, her good body proportions atoned for it. Her eyes weren't large either--a necessary feature for a beauty in Korean culture--but there was something about them...

"Are you alright?" She asked, obvious concern in her voice.

Oops. Habit I've gotten into. Always checking out the girls beforehand. I guess I just forgot she wasn't one them. 

"Erhm, yeah. Thanks." I bowed awkwardly, though it was more a nod of my head. 

"I'm Heejin," Heejin walked in carrying a tray of food, placing it on the cabinet beside the bed. "How should I address you?" 

"Chanyeol." I smiled. "Park Chanyeol."

"Nice to meet you, Chanyeol," Heejin held out her hand, and I shook it enthusiastically. A pretty blush crept on her pale cheeks, and she quickly withdrew her hand. 

"Chanyeol, can you tell me what happened?" She smiled, as if nothing had happened. 

 

[Narrator's POV]

Heejin felt a different feeling near this Chanyeol as they chatted. His soothing, deep voice had her heart beating quite fast, and his smile melted her inside out. Park Chanyeol was probably also one of the most beautiful people Heejin had seen in her life. She tried denying this attraction to Park Chanyeol though, because it didn't seem right to be on this level yet for a first meeting.

"I got drunk." Chanyeol had plainly stated.

"I realized that when you bumped into me," Heejin rolled her eyes. "But I guess whatever happened was bad enough for you to get drunk, and risk your health for it." She shrugged. 

Chanyeol's eyes widened to an extent which Heejin found creepy. Throughout his lonely life, rarely anybody ever thought for him like this. He instead ruffled his hair with a hand, and looked down. Heejin thought he was ashamed of drinking, so she continued with a lighter tone.

"Just don't do it again," Her voice had turned soft. "It is really bad for health."

Chanyeol's playboy instincts returned and suddenly gave Yume a dazzling crooked smile. 

 

* * *

[Narrator's POV]

"You are to meet me in the same place as before, and I will give you your next assignment." The cold voice on the other end instructed.

"I understand." Heejin whispered blankly into the already dead phone.

"Who was that?" Heejin jumped at the deep voice which belonged to the stranger she had bumped into the other day. She took a deep breath and turned around, forcing a smile across her lips. Chanyeol's grin was toothy and wide, causing momentary distress for Heejin because he was too attractive even with a silly expression on. 

"Just my mother. She really misses me." Heejin lied smoothly, as she was trained to lie without hesitation and it must be a hundred percent persuasive. 

Chanyeol flashed a dazzling grin, "can I meet her some time, then?" 

Heejin let out silent sigh of relief. Maybe he didn't suspect anything.

"That would be alright with me." And she smiled back genuinely this time.

 

Throughout the day, Chanyeol followed Heejin everywhere. Whether it was going to the mall for shopping or staying home to do some chores. Chanyeol was really helpful and carried her bags, and even cleaned dishes. There was something off about everything he did, though, and Heejin wasn`t so sure of why she felt uncomfortable at times. Perhaps it was the way his eyes never left her, scrutinizing Heejin's every movement; there was almost something dangerous about his penetrating stares. A large majority of people wouldn't be able to notice, but Heejin, being acute in her senses, has caught a whiff of something fishy with Chanyeol. Heejin tried very hard to ignore her instincts which her screaming at her to be careful. 

Dusk came by quickly, and by night Heejin had already changed into her leather night suit. Chanyeol was fast asleep in his room, and so she didn't worry about him as much. Heejin grabbed her bag full of supplies and keys, and stepped out into the cool night. 

Heejin darts skillfully into a dark alley and makes sure that no tails were following her. With steps as smooth and inconspicuous as a cat, her slim figure itself was a shadow. Non-existent. Intangible.

Heejin finally arrives at her destination--an abandoned workshop. She scans around for any potential danger or hazards. 

A peculiar gust of wind blew against Heejin's cheeks, sending shivers down her spine. This workshop gave off an eerie aura. Nonetheless, she must continue on. The old steps creak as she climbs the broken stairs. Heejin cringes at the sound--noises like these are certainly not comforting.

Suddenly, one of the steps fails her and crumbles beneath her body. Heejin doesn't make a peep when she discovers the narrow tunnel she's sliding down, as if specially designed to fit her figure exactly. As if someone who knew her body really well, had calculated this tunnel's measurements to precision. Struggling to avoid sliding down to fast and end up blowing her cover, Heejin's fingers gripped the suspiciously smooth walls. They felt new, Yume realized with a jolt--someone had planned this. 

The end of the tunnel was dimly lit. Heejin reacted quickly to the situation, and stops exactly at the exit of the tunnel, as she listened cautiously for any sign movement before finally crawling out.

Very odd. Three motionless bodies were on the ground, hands and arms splayed in an awkward position. Dead, obviously, but how?

A deep pang hit her as she recognized the damaged faces. Heejin gulped. 

Two of the three were her best friends in this mafia organization, the other one being a male friend who had always been fond of her. Why would anyone kill them? Heejin thought, as a tear slipped quietly down her cheek. This, had been a part of the training, too. To mourn for one silently. 

"Heejin." 

Heejin cranked her head hesitantly to the direction of the voice, and her brain went a little numb. Her boss, leader of the mafia organization. 

The middle aged man was roughly 5 foot 4 inches, a very not intimidating height, but his face suggests otherwise. Although Heejin was reluctant to admit, her boss was, or had been attractive. The only feature that had always upset him (and Heejin knew this) was his lips. Once perfectly curved and full, they were now possess a distinct scar crossing from the tip of his nose to the end of his chin, and it was obvious that they had been sliced mercilessly in a previous gang battle. The scar was why he always wore a mask to cover the bottom half of his face. The man's eyes were composed of shards of ice, his heart frozen. 

"Yes." She immediately stood up, and saluted. 

"Do you know why they are dead?" The man avoided her eye contact, and only rubbed the ring on his forefinger absent-mindedly. Yume stared at her boss blankly, praying silently her brain would start working again.  

"N-no, sir." 

The small man lifted his head only to smirk mockingly, and Heejin felt her blood run cold. "All of them refused to kill you, and now I have to spend a few extra bucks to finish their assignment for them." 

That had caught Heejin off guard. So he means, that he wants to kill me? 

"Sir, I don't understand what I did wrong." The quivering in Heejin's voice was inconcealable at this stage. 

"Nothing, really. It's just that you, uh, sort of saved your target." The eyes of the man shifted from a slumbering deep lake to frozen fire, his lips were no longer curved upward. "You do know the consequences." 

Something in Heejin stirred as she came to realize what her boss meant. 

"Sir," Heejin said quietly, as if a volume any higher would break the delicate balance. "He was the complete opposite you described. Except for the height." 

A dark chuckle rose from her boss' throat, as he shook his head slowly in feigned disappointment. "I trained you for nothing then, didn't I?" 

Before Heejin could react she was staring into the abyss of a dark hole. A cold hand gun. Heejin recognized it--it was the same hand gun he used to sweep away half his enemies in the city. His only true companion. The only thing he could ever hold legitimate trust for. 

"Shall I say thank you, to make this a pleasant good bye for both of us, hmm?" He paused, and then continued when Heejin didn't respond. "Then thank you, Heejin."

A twisted smile formed on his attractive face, just as twisted as his mind. Heejin shut her eyes, because this was the only person she acquiesced to, and must acquiesce to. But that bang she waited for never happened, and when she opened her eyes experimentally at a few clangs and crashes, the scene before Heejin left her more confused than ever.

It was Chanyeol, she realized as her heart skipped a beat. But it wasn't the Chanyeol she recognized. First of all, it was a complete different face, and the only thing she managed to recognize were those eyes. However, these eyes she saw before her were as fatal and deadly as any killer's eyes as he wrestled with the tiny man. Chanyeol's hands were tangled around the smaller man, and Heejin realized in a jolt that her boss was in control. He was slowly choking the air out of Chanyeol's lungs.

"Chanyeol!"

"Heejin, you can only choose one of us--" The small man said between punches. "He's a murderer, and currently the main adversary of our organization."

Heejin lifted her eyes and exchanged a confused glance with Chanyeol who was suffocating at the moment. Chanyeol's eyes were pleading, delivering a message Heejin could not understand entirely. But her heart told her, for the first time in five years, that Chanyeol was the one she should assist, and it wasn't only because of those clear, honest eyes. Heejin felt she knew Chanyeol so well, inside and out just by the few days they interacted. The strong feeling gave Heejin the courage to pull out and raise her own gun. The tiny man cursed as he felt as his doom come near. 

"Remember who raised you, and gave you a future, Heejin." The man guffawed a hideous laugh. "I hope you'll be able to live with that."

Sudden repulse took over Heejin as she lowered her gun slightly, and her boss took the opportunity to flip Chanyeol onto the ground. In a lightning motion he pulls out a dagger hidden in his coat, and prepared to slit Chanyeol's throat. In was in a millisecond that Heejin decided who was more important. 

There was no hesitation this time, as Heejin shot down the tiny man in one swift movement.   

It was over. Chanyeol was panting like he had swam across the pacific ocean. After a few minutes of silence, Chanyeol returned to his usual cheeky self.

"That was a close call, huh?" He grinned, the composed concentrated face he had a few minutes ago dissipated completely. Heejin reached out a hand to help Chanyeol back on his feet. 

"Why wouldn't you bring a gun if you were going to save a lady?" Heejin chided, and let out a peep of surprise when Chanyeol pulled her smoothly into his long arms.

"Isn't it much more beautiful for a lady to save me?" Chanyeol hummed in her ear, and Heejin glances up at Chanyeol through thick lashes. 

Chanyeol winks, leaving Heejin dazed because she was already affected by his sudden change of looks. She never thought it possible, but damn, he looked even better with his hair pushed to the side, revealing his smooth forehead and flawless skin. His features were more obvious than when she met him, because of the makeup he had probably applied to disguise his identity. If before Heejin had felt attracted to Chanyeol, then right now she must be heads over heels for him. But Heejin will see what happens. 

"You could've died, idiot." Tears were b the corner of her eyes, as the thought of Chanyeol dying re-enters her mind. Chanyeol wipes them away in a panick. They stay still for a few moments, relishing in the peace after the furious battle.

Chanyeol clears his throat to cheer up the mood, the grin returning. 

"Can you kiss me? As a reward?" Chanyeol asks rather bluntly, a light-hearted smile playing on his lips. 

"H-hey, I saved you, not the other way around," Heejin was flustered. "You also have a lot to explain to me, mister."

"Right." There was that mischevious grin again. "Then I'll offer the reward." Chanyeol leans in and places a chaste kiss on Yume's rosy lips. 

 

 

 

[Author's Note]

Chanyeol's a tease, so I believe that's why I had written him as a tease. :) And it's called mafia matchmaker because Heejin's mafia boss dude basically sealed Chanyeol and Heejin's feelings for each other hehehehe the guy died for a good cause. Also, this was written a few years ago, so please excuse any grammar errors~ Hope you guys liked it! Pic creds to tumblr user itsyeols.