A Thousand Winds That Blow

A Thousand Winds That Blow

The semester had ended. The boarding school was almost deserted. Only a few people left at the lobby. That included me. I forcefully dragged my luggage and sat on a bench with three other girls. When I heard that annoying voice, it was too late. It turned out to be a wrong decision. They were Triple H – Hana, Hyunjae and Hanmi.


“Where are you going this summer, guys? I’m going to Bali, unsupervised! You know my parents had to take care of their business. I’m so lucky!” boasted Hana. Unfortunately, it had finally begun.


“Me too. My mom had to cover the lawsuit for Adams Incorporated. I’m going to Gold Coast alone,” replied Hyunjae.


“Thank God my daddy is busy with his election. I’m going to Paris alone, too. I’ll shop till I drop,” added Hanmi fixing her make-up.


“You’re not going to drop, you’re rich as hell.” All three of them giggled like seven years old with the elegant gestures. Spoiled brats. I could not stop myself from rolling my eyes.


Fortunately, my dad came to the rescue. I was about to vomit listening to their gossips. He honked the car and shouted outside the window, “Hop on, Yerin! Omma is baking your favourite chicken pie.”


The thought of chicken pie just lifted up my mood. I could not wait to reach home. The girls abruptly stopped talking. They just stared at our car as we left. They had mixed feelings on their faces. Deep down I knew they missed the time they had with their families.


It took an hour to reach home. On our way back, appa did not stop talking about our summer plans. I did not mind travelling but I preferred to cuddle in my bed instead and read Lord of the Ring series numerous of time. Omma kept telling me to spend my time outdoor but I was not brave enough yet.


Appa the radio and “Here Comes the Sun” started playing. I was dumbfounded. The memories were rushing into my head. Our memories, Channie.


You have always loved the Beatles. It was the only song that I know from the Beatles. We would always sing that song at our little prairie and you would make flower crowns for me all the time. It was like our own haven. Peace and quiet.


We carved our name on the big rock we called Roberto because you had always wanted a Mexican friend. It was funny how he never talked back to you though.

 

I remembered when we first met. You came to my house with your mother and you gave omma a sunflower. As an innocent child, I thought you liked my omma.


You were fond of sunflower so much that you planted field of them at our little prairie. We would water them every single day. When they bloomed, it was the most beautiful yellow ocean I had ever seen.

We had a lot of good times together but why did you choose to leave? We promised to meet up in five years of time. The time was up but I did not think I would ever see you again.


Finally, we had reached home. Appa parked the car in the garage. I saw omma at the door. I told her that I would be going out for a while. She smiled and nodded. The time was up for me too. I needed to face the reality.


I rode my bicycle and went to our little prairie. I dropped off my bicycle and stood before a yellow ocean. The sunflowers had paved the earth with yellow stars.


I strode into the field and stopped in front of Roberto. Our names were still there. It had almost faded. I dug the earth and found our memory box. It was safe and sound. The letters we wrote and placed in it were still intact. We promised to read them after five years. Therefore, I read yours. It had taken me a lot of courage.

 

Yerin-ah!


You are the most stubborn, despicable and annoying girl I have ever met. Plus, you are a hoyden. It was hard to write this letter when you were trying to have a peek at it five years ago. Just wait until five more years! You are very impatient. I forgot to add that.


To the five years into the future Yerin,
I hope you had a good life even better than Roberto right there. Roberto had a life time of skipping school. Don’t let him stop you. You are a free-spirited girl. Let your free spirit roams. You told me once you wanted to apply Seoul Girl’s High School because you wanted to be more feminine. I had told you plenty of time just be yourself. I like you just the way you are.


I remembered that time you took an enormous bite on my taco and when we had ice-creams, you had yours all over your face. You even fell off the tree and your head was bleeding. It was the most panic-stricken moment of my life. You didn’t cry and told me you were fine. I had to run for miles to get help because only you knew how to ride bicycle. In fact, you never cried every time you got hurt. You are a strong girl. I knew you will be strong after I’m gone.


The doctor told me I had two weeks left but I survived longer than that when I met you. Two weeks became two months and two months became two years. I never knew miracle exist until I found you. Miracle happened not because we believe in it. It happened because we search for it.

However, right now I am running out of miracle. I had lived long enough. I didn’t want you to see me sick so I went to spend my time away from you. Therefore, when I am gone, do not stand at my grave and weep. I am not there. I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow. I am the diamond glints on snow. I am the sunlight on ripened grain. I am the gentle autumn rain. Back to the time, you were lying next to me and we watched the rainbow together. I looked at you across me and fell in love. I love you, Yerin. You are the most amazing girl I ever met. Never forget.

 

P/s: I knew I wouldn’t be there to read your letter so I read them secretly. I am happy to know you love me too. I am going to miss Roberto.

 

Yours forever,
Channie.

 

I will never forget you. I was hideously grinning and crying. You are an idiot. You should have stayed here until your very last moment. You did not know how sad I was when you left me for good soon after you went away. I had wanted to spend your last time with you.


Above the swaying and shivering sunflowers, I saw a rainbow. I knew you could see it too. I felt your presence among the thousand winds. Those scruffy hair and cheeky smile stood before me. We looked at each other and smiled meaningfully.


I lost the track of time as I lay on a bed of sunflowers. I knew it was not a dream. I wondered, who had taken care all of these flowers? It had been five years since I came here.

 

I went home noticing a vase full of sunflowers on the table. Omma was on her rocking chair humming a lullaby. I approached her from the back and kissed her cheek, “I’m home. Gomawo, omma.” She tapped my hand knowingly.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading!! It just came to me while I was listening to this song. I'm sorry I killed him!! This is my debut. I have a long way to go. What do you think? Feel free to leave your comments :)