What If

Fly, Karma Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WHAT IF
(TaeNySic)
OST: The Cheetah Girls - What If

 

A hoodie over her head, a mask covering more than half of her face, spectacles that she had never worn during her public performances, no one would be able to recognise Girls' Generation's Tiffany among the crowd. At that moment, she didn't consider herself Tiffany, she was just Stephanie. Stephanie Hwang. She stood at a distance, her eyes filled with a certain kind of sadness as she folded her arms. Not too far away, she could see the stage all properly set up, and the tables below the stage for the fansign which was going to take place that night. Fans were screaming behind the barriers. The scene was all too familiar. She remembered seeing signs with nine different names among the audience, just like this. Although this time, the signs only carried one name.

She let her memories run wild in her mind, until the cheers suddenly roared louder than ever. Surprised, she lifted her head to look at the stage. The figure that had appeared on stage looked so small from where she was.

"Wow, look at the crowd. Everyone, the moment you have been waiting for! Let's welcome Jessica!" With the words from the host, Tiffany's eyes again landed on the girl she hadn't seen for a few months.

"Hello everyone! Thank you for coming out here tonight. I'm sorry to keep you guys waiting. I hope that you will enjoy tonight!" Tiffany couldn't help but to smile, seeing that familiar face again.

"I'm sure they will. Let's not keep them waiting any longer. Let's give it up for Jessica with her first song for tonight!"

Was it half an hour, or an hour? Tiffany didn't know. She only stood there the whole while, listening to the familiar voice of the person whom she used to share the stage with. She didn't quite know how to feel. Proud that Jessica was doing really well on her own? Or sad that she would never be able to sing with the girl on the same stage again? She couldn't decide.

"I feel sad that this showcase is ending soon. However, I'd like to bring to you a very...um...special song. I've recently picked up song-writing and...um...I have... The song was made possible with the help of really talented people. I wanna thank all of you for always supporting me. It wouldn't have been possible for me if not for you guys. I think... I just wanna say that there are some things that...will always...remain unchanged no matter what happens, things that you will never regret...and those things are what you should always...keep close to your heart. I'm always thankful, and...sorry." Tiffany thought that for that moment, she saw that familiar expression on Jessica's face that the girl always carried whenever she tried to suppress her tears. She felt choked as her eyebrows furrowed. "Okay, let me bring to you 'What If'."

The crowd cheered, but Tiffany could hear nothing except Jessica. The music started, and she could feel her heart thumping wildly. She just had the feeling that she wasn't ready to hear whatever Jessica was about to sing. When the lyrics first reached Tiffany's ears, she was sure that her intuition was right.

Maybe this was meant to be
Maybe now it should be me
Been dreaming of this forever
But I'm feeling so confused, yeah
It's hard to see what's right
Between you and I
And I don't know what to do

Tiffany slightly clenched her fists.

Oh. We'd stay together always that's the promise we made
But suddenly it's not so clear
And I'm being pulled both ways

The tears fell from the corner of Tiffany's eyes as she kept her eyes on Jessica.

And it's breaking my heart
Tearing me apart
It's impossible to choose
What if I don't try, what if I do?
Everything that I've dreamed right in front of me
If I win what would I lose?
How could I learn to live wondering what if?

"Tiff, it's everything that I've ever dreamed of. I... I can't just..." She understood what Jessica was talking about, but she didn't accept it with an open heart. She regretted not being more supportive. She regretted everything.

Things will never be the same
No, no, maybe that's the price of fame
Been waiting for this forever
It's close enough for me to touch
But if I don't go for it, I might always regret
But is it worth us breaking up?

What the hell is going on?

That morning, the eight girls were all in the dorm, their eyes red and puffy from all the crying when they received the message from Jessica.

Sorry...

Taeyeon had sent that message, and Jessica left their chatroom. That morning, Jessica was gone from the chatroom, and Girls' Generation.

Oh. We'd stay together always that's the promise we made
But suddenly it's not so clear
And I'm being pulled both ways

And it's breaking my heart
Tearing me apart
It's impossible to choose
What if I don't try, what if I do?
Everything that I've dreamed right in front of me
If I win what would I lose?
How could I learn to live wondering?

Tiffany's hands covered her face except for her eyes, as tears rolled down uncontrollably.

What if I would have tried,
I could shine even fly
I don't want to realize after it's too late no ooh
And see it all pass me by
If I do, if I don't, will I ever really know
What the future could hold before it slips away?
Could be the chance of a lifetime.

Jessica's pleas were left unheard. The girl had needed them the most, but they were the ones who let her go. Tiffany wanted to run up to Jessica and hug her, telling her how sorry she was for not being there for her.

And it's breaking my heart
Tearing me apart
It's impossible to choose
What if I don't try, what if I do?
Everything that I've dreamed, right in front of me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter