The Jackpot

Burst the jackpot

Ever wondered how it feels to be bullied everyday? Ever wondered how much physical and emotional pain it costs? If you ask Minhyun Hwang, he could write thousands and thousands pages of it. But even if he writes a million books about it, he can't fully describe it, because there are no words for it.

It's not like he didn't feel anything or didn't care. He didn't block it out of his world. He had suffered trough all these years and yet he was being silent of everything. Never said a word. Never did anything. Because he couldn't trust to anyone. He was all alone. He didn't know where to find help.

Aron Kwak could do nothing to him, or so he thought. He believed that it would make the situation only worse for Minhyun. But it still was way too heartbreaking to watch him going trough it every day. And yet he wasn't falling down. Or at least he didn't show it to the other people. But deep inside Aron felt so sorry for him. He wanted to protect him and he didn't know why he was feeling that way.

He felt helpless with all what was happening. It is hard enough to fight with your own feelings, and it is even harder to realize that those feelings aren't what you expected. But maybe worse it's to know that other person doesn't feel same about you. All he could thought about was that they were too different, that they came from different worlds and that he didn't have the right to tore this beautiful creatures life apart. It wasn't right to get his family and the few friends he has against him.

But of course he knew that he was too selfish to step aside, specially when it comes to person he loves, adores and cares about. Minhyun was that beautiful and silent boy, who had been bullied trough all his years in school. When Aron first appeared into same high school as Minhyun, he couldn't believe why people was being so awful towards him. Yes, he looked a little more feminine than others, but he was still very handsome and attractive person. Just with a lack of trust. He really didn't trust to anyone, not even himself.

He still remembers the first day they met. It was the first day on their freshman year. He had been looking for his next class, when he walked into Minhyun.

"I'm so sorry, it's my fault! I wasn't looking where I was walking. Are you ok?" he had panicked, and offered a hand to help other up from the floor. He didn't even watch to it. He had just mumbled something and walked away. Since that day his thoughts started to became a one big mess.

It wasn't very good first impression, but somehow the pretty but silent boy stayed in his head all years that passed by. Aron tried many times to speak with Minhyun, but there was always someone stopping him. They said that it's not good for his own reputation, that he will become bullied as well. They never really saw how other was suffering trough every school day, they didn't see his loneliness. Aron felt really protective towards Minhyun, but he didn't know what to do, and it was driving him crazy.

Their senior year came and nothing seemed to change. Aron still ate his lunch in school's library and watch Minhyun who sit and read some book while eating just a little. He was coming skinnier day by day, and Aron who was already worried about him started to be afraid that he could hurt himself.

In a beautiful November afternoon Aron was making his way to library as usual, when he saw something he didn't want to see. He saw Minhyun laying on the floor, holding his head that was covered by brown hair. First he thought that Minhyun had finally gave totally up and he was crying, but then he saw blood dripping to the floor from his hair. It surely wasn't tears. Aron ran quickly next to Minhyun, just to find out that he was unconscious, but luckily he was still breathing.

"Minhyun, wake up", he said and tried to get the boy open his eyes, but that didn't happen. After a while Aron decided to take the badly wounded boy to the nurse. He got some weird looks from the people who were on hallways, but he couldn’t care less. He was too worried that Minhyun could die in his arms. That was surely something what elder boy didn't want.

The nurse took care of Minhyuns wounds silently, but she looked really worried.

"I think that I have to call ambulance for him. He needs stitches and his head have to be scanned. I can't be sure if he have got even more serious injuries as these", nurse told to Aron. "You should probably go with him. I'll call to his parents. But tell me first what happened."

Aron let out a frustrated sigh.

"I don't know. I was going into library when I saw him laying on the floor. He was unconscious and I tried to wake him up but he didn't. So I carried him here. I wish I would know who did this to him", he mumbled and covered his face with his hands. "I should have gone there earlier, I could have stopped them."

"Aron, don't blame yourself. So you think that he got bullied? It really wasn't your fault if that is what happened."

"I know, but at least I could have being there. I could have being there to protect him", he started to cry. It was obvious that he was blaming himself, that he wasn't going to forgive himself if anything would happen to Minhyun.

"What do you feel towards him?" nurse asked with a soft, gentle but worried voice.

"I think I love him", Aron answered with a broken voice. He wasn't far from tears.

"You can still be there for him. He is not going to die, you know. He is going to be alright."

"But if I tell him how I feel, he won't speak to me, he won't even watch me. Or he will spit on me and never look back. And I don't want to his family turn against him. It's the last thing I hope for him. This aren't as permissive country as U.S."

The nurse let a little sigh out of her lips. She couldn't do anything else than just watch this young boy struggling with his own feelings and to tell him it's going to be alright. "How you can say so if you have never told him? You can't know surely before he tells to you how he feels. And if you stay away, it can hurt him even more than the fact that he has someone who loves and adores him. Haven't you already realized that he is lonely?"

Every day after school Aron went to hospital to sew how Minhyun was doing. It had been already five days, and he was still unconscious. He opened the door and he saw a thin and tired looking boy sitting on the bed.

"So you decided to wake up. Was about a time already", Aron smiled gently. He was so happy that he couldn't even describe it. The feeling just were there warming his heart.

"What happened to me? Why am I in hospital?" Minhyun asked as he tried to remember who this strange boy was. "And who are you?"

"I don't know exactly what happened to you, but I think that you got beaten up by bullies. You had a very bad concussion and you have been like a vegetable last five days. And I'm Aron, we are on same class" Aron spoke nervously.

"Oh, I see", was all what boy answered to him.

"I think you should tell to the school about this. Isn't it already the time to fight back? It hurts to see how those people treat you. I don't think that you deserve it."

"What differences it would make if I fought back? Wouldn't it just become even worse?" Minhyun ask with a broken voice, clearly being tired with everything. "And why do you even care?"

"Do you know what people say about fighting back? That it will hurt after it shatters, but it is still worth of it", Aron tried to convince the other.

"I don't give a what they say. They don't know what they are speaking about. How fighting could make me forgive them? How it would make me forget everything?"

"You don't need to forgive them. You don't need to forget anything either. Every scar makes you what you are, it just makes you stronger. All you need to do is stand up and be you. You have got all the same rights as everyone of us", Aron watched Minhyun in his brown eyes while speaking to him. "And before you say that I don't know anything, I have to tell you that I have gone trough the same. And I'm here to help you. It's going to be hard, it's going to hurt, I don't deny it. It's supposed to be that way. And it is still just the first step. But unlike I had, you have someone you can trust, someone who is willing to help you, I promise."

"But how?" he whispered. "How I can fight back when I don't have strength to do so? When I don't have anyone to rely on?" He fell back to his bed and he swiped his wet eyes.

"I'll be there for you. If you don't know how to fight, I'll teach you and I'll fight with you. And if you fall, I'll be there to catch you. Always."

Silence fell over them, but it wasn't awkward silence. It was comforting and it seemed to calm both of them down. Suddenly Minhyun stood up from the bed and drag Aron in a hug. Aron could feel warm tears falling to his shirt and soft breath against his neck. But he knew that war inside Minhyuns head wasn't over. It had just started.

"Your suffering now is a sign of your hard work. Everybody knows you tried, everybody knows it’s alright. You get some right, you get some wrong, although tiring there will be days to smile", Aron sang with his deep voice. "You do know that we all fall down sometimes, right? You know the true hero and it is living in you. You just need to get up. You need to start running the day and not let the day run you", Aron added when he ended the song. He still needed to convince Minhyun that he will be there with him. But it's not about words, it's about acts.

There was two silent person standing next to door and smiling softly to the view. They turned around and closed the door carefully. They wanted to give some privacy to the boys.

As Aron has said, it wasn't easy to go trough the healing process and it's going to take long. Fighting back is just the first step during the process. It wasn't easy to Minhyun to go back to school after everything. But even harder it had been when he, his parents and Aron went to speak with the principal. There weren't much he could have done, and he proposed that Minhyun could change school.

"I can't just run everything. I have gave up way too easily because I thought that if I just run everything will be alright. But it doesn't work that way. It never does", was all what Minhyun answered. It was actually all he spoke whole day. Even his parents looked him in shock, only Aron smiled gently to his words. He knew that they were doing the right thing and he wouldn't withdraw.

"I really don't know what to do then. I can expel the bullies temporarily and try to speak with them but it is not enough. I know how this world goes, and just speaking won't make this to be okay. But I'm going to tell to teachers that they have to try to keep things better on eye." It was all principal could do for them, and they weren't really pleased with it. But they didn't know any other ways and violence didn't belong in their vocabulary. That was the last thing to do.

But even if it was the hardest time ever to Minhyun, it was the best too, because the two of them were friends now. He didn't need to be alone. Aron wanted them to be more than just friends, but he was satisfied with it. He knew that it would be nothing more. Until one happy day with Minhyun turned to living in hell. Aron never saw it coming.

Arons parents find out that he was gay. Even though he never told them, he thought that they would understand him and support him. That they loved him enough to love him exactly who he is. He couldn't be more wrong.

"There's nothing you can change with your words. As long as you think this way, you won't be wanted under this roof", was all his father said to him. He was sent away with an image in his head. And that image was made to destroy him. His whole world was destroyed with against wall thrown glasses.

He didn't know where to go. All of his friends would ask what happened, and he didn't feel like that it was the best time to explain everything to his friends. And if he went to Minhyun, even he wanted some sort of explanation. And he didn't want to lie to his best friend. Not about this thing. But he didn't have many options left, and he hoped that Minhyun would stand by his side just like he did to him. Minhyun was his last hope.

"So it's surely fine to your parents that I'm living here until we graduate from high school?" Aron asked the thousandth time. He didn't want to be a burden to anyone.

"It is, stop worrying," Minhyun cutted his blabbering and shut the lights. "Aron, why your parents throw you out? You know you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but I have noticed that it's not good thing to keep everything inside you. Speak, write, sing, what ever is best way to you, but please, don't suffocate yourself with it. Let it out."

"Since when you have started to speak so wisely?" Aron wondered. "But anyways, I think you are right. I just don't know who to speak. I feel so lonely." He wiped some tears of, not wanting to show his weakness to another. He needed to be strong for both of them. World wasn't always so nice place to live.

Minhyun put the lights back on and walked next to Aron. "You always say that you will be there for me, but why you don't trust me then?" Minhyun looked so sad that Aron couldn't be feeling anything but guilt. He was the one who had caused that sad face.

"Fine, but don't hate me then. You must promise that we stay friends after I have told you this. Can you promise this to me?"

"I promise."

"They throw me out because I'm gay", he sighed and buried his face into his hands.

"Aron, that wasn't so big secret. You could have gone to talk to any of your friends and they would say same thing as I: we all knew it already", Minhyun grabbed his hands into his owns revealing his teary face.

"But, how?"

Minhyun didn't say anything, he just stared the city lights. Suddenly he turned his head towards Aron and collect all his courage before putting his lips against another's. It started as an innocent kiss but it wasn't how it ended. They broke the kiss when they both felt like they must get oxygen. Aron opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"But what if your parents are the same as mine?" he finally succeed to tell what was worrying him so much.

"Don't worry about it. They know already who I am. And I think that they already know about you, too."

They sat on mattress and kept silence. They felt silence comforting and that was all Aron needed. Some time to fix his thoughts, to get some sense from his feelings. He knew they were both in mess with their lives, Aron with his parents and Minhyun with his school.

But no matter what was happening, they both knew that somehow they will find a way to be together. There is no bigger feelings than hope and love.