Sunflower smiles

You were like hope on a hopeless day

They had first met when they were still homeless kids who slept on the streets. Woohyun was nine, Jongdae eight.

Woohyun had been starving the whole day and was wandering about the streets in search of a victim. But, it had never been easy. The people in this hellhole were born and raised the same way, or worse. Everyone was experienced enough to not be victim to a hungry, thieving kid, only unlucky

But Woohyun saw something that made him wonder if his target was dumb or unlucky. Or, possibly, both. He had caught sight of a boy with the most defined cheekbones and jawline he had ever seen. Said boy was ing strolling on the streets like he was taking a walk in the bloodydamn zoo. A money pouch was tied to the boy's belt. 

In a place like this, it was like a flashing neon green sign screaming,  "Hello everyone~ Please save me from my dumb owner!~".  Woohyun chuckled lowly and walked a little way behind his target. He slowly went nearer, ready to dive in and swipe the pouch off until
The boy turned around with wide eyes. They both froze on the spot and—
The boy smiled at him like Woohyun was the sun and he a sunflower.
Woohyun concluded that his victim wasn't unlucky. Just a total dimwit. 

Woohyun smirked. He dove in for the pouch, a blade slashing the pouch off. It was in his hands before the idiot could even blink and he was off. Ten seconds after he made his escape, there was a girly shriek. He glanced back to see an idiot after him.
Woohyun rolled his eyes and dissappeared into a dark alley. He knew this place better than the back of his hand. 

Unfortunately, the boy happened to be one of those dimwits who were born in this hellhole — just like Woohyun himself, not the dimwit part — and had somehow, in some sort of sick twist incomprehensible to all of mankind, managed to survive. Each time Woohyun took an abrupt turn into one of the many intersections in the alley, the boy didn't fail to be right behind him. Said boy — who Woohyun would later come to know as Kim Jongdae — just wasn't fast enough or he would've caught up to Woohyin already.

Much to Woohyun's exasperation, this chase continued for an hour. He'd went from alleys, to the main streets, to the more remote streets, and the boy never failed to still be hot on his trail. 

They were on a street near the outskirts until Woohyun gave up. Because he was pretty sure the other boy would've never given up.
Woohyun skidded to a stop, and threw the pouch at him because, "What idiot of a kid chases a thief around for one in' hour just to get back their money? You're so annoying a victim, I'd rather give it back to ya.", and Jongdae just laughed, out of breath before scrambling to get his money pouch. He grinned. Woohyun scoffed in bewilderment and annoyance.

Then, the boy scurried into a nearby shop which was a bakery. Woohyun made a frustrated sound and decided to get away from here. But soon, the boy exited the bakery with two loaves of bread and looked around for Woohyun. Jongdae saw the elder boy leaving and ran up after him with the bread.

"What? Don't tell me ya thinkin of callin them cops. They're in useless." Woohyun hisses at the other, before turning away, ready to storm off. He'd lost his lunch, after all and wasted a whole hour. He was so done with this kid


Jongdae grabbed Woohyun's wrist but Woohyun gripped Jongdae's in return and twisted it around.

"Ahhhh! Ah ah ah! Whyyyyyyy!~ Let go!" Jongdae whined and Woohyun glared at him. 

"I told ya I ain't goin' to them cops!  Ya wanna get hit?"

"It's for you!" Jongdae shouted out, grinning despite the pain. He flailed his other hand with the bread around. Woohyun made a dumb confused expression, his grip on the other loosening in surprise. Jongdae took the chance to wriggle his wrist away. He one of the loaves of bread in Woohyun's face. The thief just stared at him blankly.

"For you!~"

Woohyun stared even more.

"Ah, whyyyyy~

Woohyun stared even harder.

"Ah, whyyyyyyyyyy~ I didn't poison it!" The ridiculous boy pouted, yes, he actually pouted. "Let's eat together!"

Woohyun sputtered at him dumbly, in complete and utter confusion. Jongdae huffed and grabbed his hand, pulling Woohyun to the side of the road. He pulled Woohyun down to sit beside him. The boy was looking at him with wide eyes and half parted lips.

Jongdae grinned and shoved the bread into his hands. Then he gestured at Woohyun to eat before taking a big bite out of his own bread. He chewed happily before swallowing, then turned to look at Woohyun.

"What's wrong? Why aren't you eati—"

"Puahahahahaha!!!" Woohyun burst out into laughter, making Jongdae jump. "This is the best joke ever!" Woohyun wiped his tears away as Jongdae stared at him like he was a psycho. (Really now? Woohyun thought the real psycho here was this kid.) When Woohyun had finally calmed down, Jongdae was eating his bread while looking at him half warily, half expectantly.

"W-wait, y-ya aren't jokin'?" Woohyun sputtered at him again, flustered. Jongdae looked at him incredulously. Woohyun, for the first time in his life, felt a blush paint his cheeks. He turned away and ate a small bite. Did eating bread normally make you feel warm inside?

"Finally!" Jongdae grinned, again. Woohyun took another bite and stole a peek at the other, eyes darting away when their eyes met.
They ate in silence. Jongdae full of cheer and Woohyun full of mixed feelings. 

"W-why..." Woohyun started unsurely.

"Huh?" Jongdae tilted his head, mouth half open and looking like a .

"Why'd ya give it to me, !" Woohyun snapped, feeling embarassed.

"Ahhh," Jongdae nodded, before blinding Woohyun with a grin again, "You shouldn't steal! It's bad." Jongdae's smile tones down a few watts, more gentle, more soft now. Woohyun has that weird warm feeling again. "If you're hungry, I'll share my food with you."

Woohyun's eyes widen and he turns back to his bread, guilty and embarassed. The warm feeling is still there. "Tha-thanks." He replies gruffly, but gratefully.

Jongdae beams at him, again. Woohyun hides a small smile. They continue nibbling at their bread. Jongdae chatters about totally random stuff and Woohyun just responds with nods and small smiles.

When Woohyun has half the loaf left, he stops and takes out a small cloth.

"Whatcha' doing?" Jongdae pokes him curiously as Woohyun wraps the bread up.

"Savin' it for my brother."

Jongdae gasps, eyes wide. "That's cool! I don't have siblings! Aw, you're a sweet brother."

Woohyun just grunts in response and shoves the bread into his pocket, getting up.

"Thanks kid. I'll be off no—"

"Ah, wait! Give it to your brother!" Jongdae springs up and s his bread into Woohyun's hands. "I hope he doesn't mind that it's half eate—"

 "I stole from ya. But you fed me. Its illogical for ya to do that, nor is there one for ya to be feedin my bro."

The other boy looks at him with something Woohyun can't name.

"Why are ya doin' this?" Woohyun blurts out. He's never been more confused or conflicted.

This boy is the cause of all this, this unexplainable warmth, these conflicting feelings, the one who fed him a meal (to anyone else it may not seem much, but even having the chance to even eat in one day was a miracle to him). Woohyun watches as the boy's lips curve up into something alike warmth, hope and human. 

 

"Why not?"

 



Author's Note: And okay um yeah this is it. Hope you liked it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Idek what Im doing w my life. Its like 3:30am rn lmfao. Idk but if I write similar stuff as I continue to develop the rp backstory I might post them. We'll see. Thanks for reading! (I would be really happy if you commented but its fine if you don't)

(I use my phone to post since my comp is spoilt. I had to post this five times. Editing and posting w phone . So done with this man.)