Final

He Used To Be ❁ (Complete)

“Kai, are you free today?” Eunmi asked Kai who was busy with his phone. He adverted his attention to Eunmi with a glum expression and she immediately understood what he meant. “I’m sorry Eunmi, I’m really busy these days.” She nodded with his lie.

“Like what?”  His expression immediately brightened up.

“Minah! Minah actually told me that I was her best friend!” he exclaimed like a little child.

She nodded again.

“And?”

“She asked me out today since she was bored”.

Eunmi was silent. 

“Okay.” Any idiot could have obviously tell she was sad that her best friend was becoming another girl’s best friend, and yet, all he did was exclaim and broke the news to her like she would be alright.

Kai and Eunmi used to be each other’s closest friend ever, no matter what they do, no matter where they went, they were always together. I mean, what did you expect from them? They grew up together, and they were always at each other’s side when they had troubles. She remembered when she was seven. Nobody liked her at school and nobody wanted to be her friend. She was always the odd one out. She wanted a life like all the other girls at school. A normal life, a happy life, a life where she would be happily heading for school every morning to see her friends, and during lunch time to chat with them.

She wanted a friend, but nobody wanted her.

However, there was one person that didn’t hate her or abandon her.

That person was Kai.

“Eunnie? Are you angry?, Kai asked his “best friend” who had an unreadable expression on her face. She snapped out of her thoughts when she saw him looking at her worriedly.

She faked a smile. “I’m fine.”

“Kai oppa!” Eunmi watched as her best friend’s expression changed rapidly and wore a big smile. She watched carefully as Minah came running towards them and threw her arms around Kai’s neck, burying her face in the crook of his neck and laughed cheerfully.

That was before, Kim Minah entered their lives.


Flashback

It was a beautiful day in October, the students in the class were extremely quiet. And it wasn’t something that is normal, because it was really too quiet.

Standing before the class was a small-faced, big eyes angel. The boys in the class were immediately drowned in her beauty. Kai too, was drowned. Eunmi looked happily at the new girl who was introducing herself to the class.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Minah immida, I hope we can become friends. Please take care of me.” She said shyly. The class clapped. The students must have been aware that the teacher was  obviously bias to Minah, because he let her choose her seat.

“Mianhae, but can you please move? You’re in my seat now.” Minah said, shocking Eunmi. The girls in the class were enraged. How dare that new girl! Eunmi looked at her best friend, hoping for him to say a word of protest, but all he did was agree with Minah.

With teary eyes, she packed her bag as Kai whispered softly for only Eunmi to hear. “You understand me right? She could be my soulmate!”

From that day onwards, nothing was good, nothing was right anymore. He wasn’t for her anymore. He seemed to have become a love sick puppy that drowns himself in her, Kim Minah. Not Shin Eunmi.

“Kai-ah, you have drowned. Deeply.”, she muttered under her breath, watching her best friend shelter himself and Minah with his umbrella. Leaving her alone in the pour down.


Present time

“Eunmi-shi, why are you here? Around my best friend?”  She cocked her eyebrows together and gave Minah a look.

“Eunnie-ah, you should go now, right?", Kai said carelessly, while smiling softly at Minah.

Eunmi clenched her fist tightly and bit her inner-cheek to prevent her tears from falling.

“Absolutely” 

She walked past Minah who had purposely bumped shoulders with her.

Minah yelped loudly and fell to the ground.

“Apaya!” she exclaimed.

Eunmi clenched her fists tighter, she was obviously faking it.

Kai immediately helped Minah up and checked her hands.

Eunmi turned around and continued walking.

“Yah! Shin Eunmi! What’s your problem?” she could hear her best friend shouting at her angrily.

“My problem? It’s you.” Eunmi thought bitterly.


“Kim Minah.” Eunmi whispered to the arrogant girl who raised her eyebrow at her, the next day.

“Oh?! Isn’t this Kai oppa’s “best friend” she mocked.

Eunmi clenched her fist tightly and stared hardly at the girl.

“Let’s talk.”

Minah nodded, “I’m listening.”

She sighed letting her frustration out. “Why are you stealing Kai away from me?” she confronted.

Minah merely smirked. “He wasn’t yours to begin with anyway; I was just taking him away. Not stealing.”

Eunmi shook her head. “Before your came, everything was fine. He wasn’t like this to me.”

“So you’re saying I shouldn’t have appeared at all? In your life?” she faked a sob.

Eunmi cocked her head in confusion.

“WHAT?!” Suddenly, a familiar voice broke in. A too familiar one actually.

“You are so ing selfish Shin Eunmi.” She faced her so-called best friend. Her eyes were getting teary. He never swore, at least not to her.  But he was now, for some girl.

“Kai, I…” he bumped shoulders with her and rushed forward to comfort Minah.

“Minnie-ah, don’t cry. It wasn’t a mistake for you to appear in my life, you practically lit up my whole life!” he comforted, with a hint of excitement in his voice.

Eunmi stared at the two of them. “She isn’t the mistake…. So I am?” she turned to leave.

“We are dating for your information Shin Eunmi.” Kai called out.

Her world came crashing down immediately and a silent tear left her eyes.

That wasted tear.

“That doesn’t concern me.” she muttered quietly, walking away quickly.


Eunmi screamed loudly, throwing the things on her desk to the ground, cutting her wrist slightly as she did. Blood started dripping. Her screams died down. She looked at her own reflection in the mirror and slightly cringed at what she saw. She couldn’t see herself. She was basically clouded away. Reflecting the mirror was a tired looking girl with tears running down her eyes that was shaking her head. Eunmi pitied that girl.

“Eunmi, Shin Eunmi..”

She faced the mirror once again, she thought she heard someone call her.

“Stop it Eunnie, stop it.”

Her eyes widened. “Stop what?” she whispered softly.

“Stop hurting yourself…”

Her eyes teared up again. “How did you know that?..”

“Because I’m you.”

She chuckled softly. “I’m crazy now.”

“No, you’re not.”

The tired looking girl vanished from her reflection, instead it was replaced with a bubbly looking girl. It took her awhile to recognise the girl in the mirror.

It was her.

“Yah! Shin Eunnie! Smile!” the girl in the mirror smiled.

She tried putting up a smile on her face as a tear from her left eye ran down her cheek. “I can’t…”

The bubbly girl pouted.

“Yes you can! You can do it! I believe you can!”

Then everything vanished from the mirror, she could see her reflection again.

Silence was loud.

“What doesn’t kill makes you stronger” Eunmi muttered.


The next morning everybody was awed to see a new looking Eunmi. She had let her hair down and wore a white dress, she obviously caught every guy’s attention.

“Omg! Isn’t that Shin Eunmi?” one of Minah’s friends nudged Minah who was giggling.  Minah looked at Eunmi and gasped. Eunmi stood outside the school. Seemingly waiting for someone. 

Kai noticed the drastic change in her. He only eyed her suspiciously, not attempting to confront her. Eunmi’s eyes sparkled when a car stopped in front of her.

“Eunnie-ah!” Myungsoo beamed happily.

Eunmi smiled a cute eye smile and pulled him into a hug.

“Oppa!”

Kai’s eyes twitched. He knew who Kim Myungsoo was, and he never liked him. Myungsoo was Eunmi’s former crush in elementary school and they too also had a tight bonding. When Myungsoo was around them, Kai will always lose to him. Eunmi would forget about him, like he never existed at all.

You forgot about her too.

He clenched his fists tightly, he was going o confront her later. Meanwhile, Eunmi was smiling happily at her former puppy love. “Let’s take you for a walk”, she said mockingly treating him like a little puppy.

Myungsoo pouted cutely but smiled anyway. “Okay!”

“Eunnie-ah, are you sure about this decision?” Myungsoo suddenly asked out of the blue. Eunmi paused in her tracks before replying slowly.

“What?” he asked, giving her a concerned look.

“Myung-ah..”

He nodded

“Yesterday somebody told me to give up.”

“Give up what?”

“Give up Kim Jong-in, Kai.”

Silence

“I suddenly realised something...” Eunmi walked to a side and closed her eyes. “The old me was gone.”

Myungsoo shook his head and back-hugged her, giving her a sense of comfort.

“You’re not gone.”

“I was gone a long time ago.”

Myungsoo sighed.

“Are you sure you will have no regrets going to America and marrying me?”

Eunmi nodded and gave him a big smile.

“It’s our parent’s request, and don’t tell me you don’t want me?” she cheekily asked before punching him in the stomach and running away

“Yah! Shin Eunmi! Come back here!” Myungsoo said laughing, chasing after her.

The bell rang, signalling for lunch. Eunmi walked out of her class with Myungsoo next to her. “Yah, what do you want for lunch?” he asked.

“Tteobokki, kimbap and ramen!”

Myungsoo eyed her suspiciously.

“You sure you can eat that all by yourself?

She gave him a smile. “Nope! Of course not! I’m sharing them with you.”

Laughing Myungsoo nodded.

Kai stopped in front of the couple who was all smiley.

“Shin Eunmi, let’s talk”

Eunmi paused and looked at him with a raised eyebrow. “Talk to your girlfriend, I’m busy.”

He sighed in frustration and grabbed her wrist, pulling her away from Myungsoo.

Myungsoo nodded. “Maybe those two should talk.”

“YAH! I told you I was busy!” Eunmi shouted angrily at Kai when he brought her into an old classroom.

Kai puffed angrily. “Why are you wearing a dress today?” he asked pissed off.

Eunmi smirked. “Why can’t I? It’s none of your business what I choose to wear.”

Kai scoffed, “Shin Eunmi! You’re my best friend alright?! I have the right to know? Unless, you replaced me with Kim Myungsoo?” He slammed his hand on the desk. Obviously angry.

Eunmi laughed, “Kim Jong-in.” She said using his real name. “You have no right.”

He pinned her to the wall with gritted teeth. “Shin Eunmi, shut up you! I have every right! I’m your best friend!”

She shook her head. “You were my best friend. You’re not now.” She pushed him off her. “Because you chose Kim Minah over me.” she simply stated. There was sadness in her tone.

“Shin Eunmi! She’s my girlfriend now.” He said darkly, walking towards her.

“No Kai! Ever since she came I’ve always been the bad one! Why me?  Kim Minah is nothing more than a freaking seduc-“

A loud slap was heard.

Eunmi stared at her ex-best friend, who was shocked himself. She faked a laugh as a large tear rolled down her cheek. Kai panicked and quickly wiped her tears. “Eunmi, I- I’m so-”, she pushed him away. “Kim Jong-in” she said using his full name. “Look what you did for a terrible person like Kim Minah.”

She slapped him hard on the cheek and ran away.

“Eunnie-ah, I’m so sorry….” Kai said softly.

But it was too late. Eunmi was already gone.


The following day, Eunmi already had her luggage packed. She hesitated and turned around to look at her apartment. She held back her tears and was greeted by Myungsoo who had a big smile on his face. He was obviously happy, very actually. “Eunnie!” he waved. She looked up and  gave him a sincere smile.

Back at school, Kai was waiting at the front gate for Eunmi with Minah hanging onto his arms. “Minah, go away I really need to talk to Eunmi.” He said to her.

Minah pouted. “But oppa she’s not even here!”

After waiting for half an hour he decided to go into his class. “I’ll talk to her later, I promise.” Their teacher stood in front of the class with a glum expression. “I’m afraid I have some bad news for you all.”

The class began murmuring among themselves.

“Shin Eunmi has decided to leave Seoul to America.” Instantly the whole class went silent. Eunmi wasn’t that popular but she had a bright personality and bubbly aura the flooded around her. It was as if the class lost their happy charm.

“Beep!”

Kai looked at his phone, revealing a recorded message, he hit play.

“Kai… aha Hi. I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. I.. I was frustrated and annoyed. You know me right? keke… I actually hadn’t planned on sending you a voice message… but I just wanted to tell you how I felt all this time. You know, before all that happened, we were so close, nothing could separate us. I suddenly feel really awkward about mentioning the past… lol.”

He could hear her sniffling in the message and his heart clenched.

“I, I know this isn’t a really good time for confessing but, I like you. No wait… more like love you. But, that was before everything happened. Kim Minah came. You started neglecting me, you started putting her as your first priority while I… well what was I to you? Was I nothing? How entertaining, having my best friend say right in front of me that Minah was the one who lit your world. So she was your light bulb, while I was.. What am I actually? Aha...”

She faked a laugh as tears streamed down her eyes. “Kai, you never swore at me before. You promised you wouldn’t actually. But because of Kim Minah, you did. You broke your promise. That day, when I confronted Minah, I hadn’t said that…. I don’t know what lies she fed you.. but you… you are seriously messed up.”

Kai could feel his eyes getting watery.

“But it’s okay, because you are blinded with love. I didn’t push her down; it wasn’t me, it was just her and you. I thought you would at least trust me, but… you didn’t. Why is it always me getting hurt? Why am I always he bad one? Kim Minah, she ain’t no angel, she’s a devil in disguise… so why is she the good one? Why is she getting everything? Is she really your soul mate? Ever since she came, I was lost, lost in the back of your messed up mind. Seriously Kai-ah, I… You used to have the brightest smile that made my day, you used to comfort me, you used to cheer me up when I was sad, you used to speak up for me….”

There was a pause, and by now Kai was already a crying mess.

“You used to be the one…. The one I loved.” 

And then the message ended with a click. 


Eunmi looked behind her before entering the departure hall.

 

She wiped her tears and walked in.

“I guess it’s goodbye for now….”  she said quietly.


*Author's Note*

Annyeong! This one-shot is dedicated to my readers from "I Loved My Best Friend". I'm truly sorry that I left you guys hanging for sooo long and not completing it. Hope this story made up for it tho (even tho it's a bit sad) Thanks so much for reading gulls! Comments and feedback is always appreciated and loved!

XOXO

-Aera


 

Please Check out my other stories too! (Just click on le poster)

 

Good Luck

LwFNco2.jpg

Just One More Chance

BXKRoco.jpg

Coming Soon!

j3LcJDs.jpg