Right Path

Cursed Love

A gloriously warm day was forming. Impatiently waiting for the sun's beautiful rays to hit her back, Eunji paced back and forth in front of her new house. She desperately needed the heat the sun brought for she believed it would make her nightmares from the night before vanish. 

Though she knew she shouldn't mention the fact that she missed her old home back in Busan, Eunji couldn't help but feel pangs in her heart. Sighing, she planted herself down on the ground and looked hopelessly into the sky. "We can still stay in touch." Her friends' suggestion before her departure echoed endlessly in her mind. This always happened in those dramas she saw on T.V. Sadly, in always ended in them losing touch with each other.

Just as she was contemplating about whether or not she should tell her mum, Yunhee, that she missed their old home, her name was called out and she immediately regretted even thinking that.

"Eunji!" It was so bright that even the sun couldn't compare.

"Yes mum?" Eunji yelled back. 

When she didn't get a reply, a sigh emerged from again and Eunji made her way into the house. Hearing a crash, she walked towards the kitchen and saw Yunhee on the floor with contents from boxes all around her. "Need help?" Eunji's mouth quirked at the side as her clumsy mother nodded sheepishly. 

Gathering herself up, Yunhee eyed Eunji carefully. "What were you doing outside? You don't normally go outside."

"Is something wrong with going outside?"

Yunhee hesitated for a second before replying, "No, no. I suppose not. Now get changed for school! Can't be late on your first day, now can you?"

"Yes mum," Eunji dragged the word 'mum' unnecessarily and her mother rolled her eyes at her before they both parted ways. 

Jogging to her room, she found the new uniform that she would have to wear for the next few years. It was a dreadful colour and the design wasn't so nice either. Still, she couldn't complain. After all, her mum worked day and night just to get the uniform. The enrollment alone took even longer.

There was a soft knock on the door but it was loud enough to bring Eunji out of her thoughts. Shyly, the door opened just a crack and Yunhee's eye, along with a strand of brown hair several shades darker than her daughter's, peaked through. Catching Eunji's eye, she opened it wider and said, "Look at you! You're so beautiful!"

"Really, mum? In this... Potato sack?" 

"Come now, it's not a potato sack. Its your new school uniform."

"Yes, I know that. Mum, what time are you coming back today?" 

"Probably around midnight? Don't wait up for me. Now go. You can't be late."

Giving Yunhee a quick kiss on the cheek, Eunji picked up her bag and was just about to go when she was pulled into a bear hug.

"Aw," Yunhee squeezed her daughter and cooed. "My little girl is growing up so fast! It feels like just yesterday you were born."

"Ew, mum, don't go all weird on me. Its gross and you're creeping me out. I'm off now," Eunji wiggled out of Yunhee's cascoon of warmth and a cold shiver immediately ran over her body. After a moment's hesitation, she hastily grabbed a jacket just in case. If she didn't end up needing it, she could just leave it in her bag, right?

"Dinner will be in the fridge," Yunhee called out to her disappearing daughter. Eunji raised her left arm and gave a thumbs-up; an assurance to her mother that she heard her. 

Yesterday, when she was still on the plane to Seoul, Eunji had memorised the route to her new school. If the map was still up to date then she should have no trouble making it there.

Stretching her arms as she walked, Eunji pulled out her iPhone and a set of earphones. Connecting the two pieces together, it wasn't long before she got some music playing. Music had always been Eunji's favourite thing in the world. When she had no-one to turn to, she just listened to or played music. When her parents were fighting, Eunji had turned to music. It blocked out the world. Well, when the volume was loud enough, anyway. 

At the moment, still slightly traumatised, Eunji settled on bright music which she thought would be the perfect way to get rid of her nightmares. So who better than A Pink to give the bright music that can make your worries melt away?

She was humming to NoNoNo by the time she reached a fork in the path that definitely wasn't on the map. Which way was she meant to go? She had no 3G left on her phone so checking the internet was a big NoNoNo. Sighing, she scratched the nape of her neck and decided to look at her chances.

The left path seemed to have a calming aura emanating from it. With flowers of all sorts scattered all around, it seemed to welcome Eunji. Turning to the right, she was immediately struck with how cliched this seemed. The right path was filled with dead leaves and twigs. Fog filled the air in that path and after a couple of dark trees, Eunji couldn't see that far.

She was so deep in thought that she didn't notice a boy coming up behind her until he spoke. And that boy's voice vibrated loudly inside of her. What he said echoed for hours inside her head and she couldn't refrain from replaying it. Again and again, the four words were repeated in her mind.

"It's the right path."

When Eunji was about to turn around to thank him, she realised that he couldn't have been talking to her... Could he? How would he have known where she was hoping to head? It was then that she remembered her uniform. 

Turning around, what she saw, or in this case didn't see, shocked her. No-one was there. Whipping her head back around to face the paths, she saw that they were empty, too. 

He couldn't have just vanished like that.