Final

Emerald in the Ashes

Taylor woke to the sound of steady breathing and the sunlight filtering in through the thick curtains. Her heat beat calmly as she turned over to look at her lovely boyfriend Hansol. His hair was messy and his face stuck into a sleepy smile. She giggled as a light snore escaped his throat, and his nose twitched.

She couldn't ask for a more peaceful morning.

Turning to lay on her back, she stared up at the ceiling and made out figures and shapes in the texture on the ceiling.

She found a bat, a clown, a tree, a fairy, and a car. Her eyes traced the bumps, searching for more. The outline of a book came into view and she felt her heart give a jump.

Books. School. Grades. Finals. Stress.

Her morning didn't feel as peaceful anymore.

"," she muttered, sitting up and draping her legs over the edge of the bed. She could start studying. The more you study the better you do, right?

Standing up she walked over to the dresser, remembering she wasn't wearing anything and grabbing one of his sweaters. Slipping it over her head she failed to hear Hansol sitting up in bed.

"Baby?" he croaked, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and squinting as he tried to find where she had gone.

"Hmmm?" she replied absent-mindedly, shuffling around to find pants.

"What are you doing?" Hansol asked as his eyes finally adjusted to the sunlight. His gaze was curious as he watched her.

"Getting dressed. I need to study for the upcoming tests." she said, frustration lacing it's way through her tone. She kept looking around, opening drawers quickly and pushing things out of the way. "God ing damn it! Where the hell are those ty pants?!"

Hansol's eyes widened at her outburst. "Babe?" he asked worriedly.

"What?!" she nearly yelled as she spun around to stare at him.

"I think you should come back to bed. The tests aren't for another two weeks." he watched her reaction in concern.

"That doesn't matter!" she gave him what was almost a glare. "If I don't study I'll fail! And if I fail then I'll never be able to get good grades, which means I won't be able to get into college, and then I'll never be able to get any kind of good paying job, and.." she trailed off.

Hansol wrapped the duvet around his bare torso and stood up, walking up to her and enveloping her in the warm blanket.

"You're overthinking all of this baby." he kissed her temple as he hugged her. "You'll do fine, even if you don't study right away."

Taylor sighed, melting into his embrace. "I doubt it."

Hansol let go of her only to pick her up bridal style, wrapping her up in the blanket like a burrito.

"What are you doing?!" Taylor exclaimed as he lightly threw her onto the bed, crawling on top of her and under the duvet and wrapping his arms around her tightly.

"Cuddling you. I won't let go until you admit that you're super smart and you're going to ace everything." Hansol nuzzled the crook of her neck and gave her a light kiss, one of his legs tangling with hers.

Taylor let out a laugh, rolling her eyes as one of her hands made it's way into his hair, her fingers running through his locks soothingly.

"I guess you're going to be cuddling me for a long long time then." she whispered. Hansol lifted his face to give her a pout, leaning forward and kissing her softly.

"Don't say that. You're going to do great." he murmured before he kissed her again.

Taylor scoffed as he pulled away again and it seemed to trigger Hansol. Putting his other leg over hers, he held her wrists in one hand and tickled her with the other. Taylor couldn't help but laugh as he found her most sensitive spots, prodding her with his fingers teasingly.

"Hansol," she whined as he tickled her continuously.

"Admit you're smart!" he said as he chuckled at her expression.

"Fine," she drawled as she held back more laughter. "I'm smart! I'm smart!"

Hansol stopped tickling her and kissed her lovingly. "Good."

Taylor shook her head playfully as she sat up.

"I'm hungry, you dork. Let me go?" she asked, struggling to escape his embrace.

He chuckled and released her, sitting up beside her.

"Should I make breakfast?" he asked, rubbing her shoulder.

She grinned widely and nodded, following behind him as he made his way to the kitchen.