Final

Chronic Lateness

I looked at my watch and almost peed my pants. A flood of curses flew from my mouth as I scrambled to grab my stuff. I was late. I’m always late. It doesn’t matter what time I wake up and how much time I leave for myself to get dressed I never get anywhere on time. I was supposed to meet my friend for our daily yoga class, which I only signed up because she begged me to, that started at 11. The clock currently read 10:48.

 

When I deemed myself ready and prepared I grabbed my yoga mat, threw my backpack on my back, and grabbed my phone. After locking my door I flew down the hall to the elevator. I looked at my phone cursing the three minutes that had flown buy. I looked up, but not quickly enough as I slammed into something and was sent spiraling towards the ground.

“What the hell!” I grumbled and rubbed my sore .

“I’m so sorry!” I heard a familiar frazzled voice in front of me and I looked up to find my beautiful neighbor, Kyungsoo, in front of me.

I was literally slapping myself for cursing in front of my crush and long time neighbor.

“Here.” he quickly picked up my things and held out his hand, “I really am sorry.”

“It’s ok.” I blushed as I placed my hand in his. He hoisted me up and gave me all my things.

“Are you in a hurry?” he ruffled his hair as we walked down the hall.

I squeaked and looked at my watch which now read 10:55. I groaned, “Yeah, I’m really late.”

He chuckled and I looked at him sourly, “What’s the big deal?”

He looked surprised at my answer and looked down, “I…just…uh. I always see you in a hurry. It’s cute.”

I pushed the elevator button, “Well I’m flattered that you think my misfortune is cute.” I deadpanned. 

He only chuckled as he shook his head as he pushed the button for the elevator. We sat in silence as we waited for the doors to open. I looked around trying not to stare at how cute he looked. Ding! We both jumped and looked over at each other. 

“L-ladies first.” he motioned for me to go inside.

I ducked my head, “T-thanks.” I mumbled.

 

We both stepped in and stood at opposite sides of the elevator an awkward silence once again settling between us.

“You’re going to the first floor, yeah?” Kyungsoo spoke up as the doors closed.

 

I glanced over at him and nodded. He pushed the button and the elevator shuttered to life. I glanced once again at my watch only to find that I was officially late. I sighed and shifted my bag so I could dig my phone out of the front pocket. Suddenly the elevator stopped sending me almost toppling over if it weren’t for Kyungsoo’s arms which were wrapped around my shoulders. The lights flickered off and we were left in the dim glow of one sole emergency light.

 

“A-are you ok?” his breath tickled my face as he spoke.

“I think so.” I was suddenly very aware of how close we were. His big eyes seemed to glow even in the dimness of the light overhead.

We fell silent and I realized that he was gripping my shoulders.

“Uh, Kyungsoo.” I whispered.

“Oh!” his eyes widened and he immediately dropped his hands to his side. He shuffled farther over to his side, “I’m s-sorry.”

I slumped, he didn’t have to let go… ”Yeah, it’s fine.” I pouted and slid down the wall until I plopped on the floor.

I my phone only to find that I had no service. I groaned and threw my hands in the air. I had no way of calling to say I wasn’t going to make yoga.

“What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo scooted a little closer worry in his eyes.

I crossed my arms, “There’s no service. We can’t even call anyone for help.”
“I promise you they’ll get us out of here,” he patted my head, “Don’t loss your head, grumpy.”

I pouted and pushed his hand away, “Yah, no one’s grumpy. You don’t know who you’re talking to.”

He chuckled, “And just who am I talking to?” I could practically hear him smirking.

I wracked my brain trying to come up with a witty comeback but I was stumped, “It’s Miss Grumpy to you.” I mumbled.

“You really are something.” his shoulders shook as he laughed and his lips turned upwards into a little heart shape. It was infectious. I soon found myself laughing. Our voices filled the air of the small compartment until all you could here were breathless giggles.

 

I opened my mouth to say something but it got caught in my throat as the one light that we had went out with a small pop. I squeaked and involuntarily grabbed onto Kyungsoo who instinctively wrapped his arms around me. 

 

“That scared me.” I laughed nervously as my heart beat out my chest. I wasn’t sure if the insistent pounding of my heart was from the light or from how close I was to Kyungsoo. My face was tucked under his head and my knees were resting on his leg.

“I thought Miss Grumpy wasn’t scared of anything.” he whispered. I could hear his heart beating just as fast as mine.

“Miss Grumpy isn’t.” I replied as I nuzzled further into his cardigan, “But I am.”

He chuckled, “Well good thing the Dark Lord is here.”

I rolled my eyes, “You’re got to be kidding me.”

“He’s the prince of darkness and everything that dwells within it,” he stated matter-of-factly, “And he promises never to let anything hurt you.”

I giggled as I played with a loose thread on his cardigan, “We sound like little children.”

“I like it,” I felt his hand run through my hair, “I like you.” he whispered into my ear.

 

I pushed myself away from him forgetting that it was too dark to look him in the eyes, “You, what?”

The elevator lurched and the lights . I shielded my eyes as the door was opened.

 

“We’re so sorry!” 

I looked over to see the landlord surrounded my mechanics. The landlord helped Kyungsoo and I out of the elevator spewing a splur of apologies.

 

“Again, I’m so sorry about that,” the landlord apologized for the eight hundredth time, “If there is anything I can do.”

I put my hand on his shoulder, “No, really it’s fine. You really don’t have to do anything for us.”

“You really don’t have to,” Kyungsoo echoed, “Just make sure it gets fixed.

 

The landlord thanked us eight million more times and we were finally on our way. Kyungsoo and I slowly walked out of the lobby and out in front of the building.

 

“Are you still late?” Kyungsoo stuffed his hands in his pockets and leaned against the wall of the building.

I looked down at my phone. I was more than and I would hear about it later.

“I’m past late,” I chuckled, “At this point it doesn’t matter.”

 

I felt his hand grasp mine and I turned around only to be met with his big eyes.

“I meant what I said,” he smiled and came closer to me, “I really do like you. I even like Miss Grumpy.”

I squeezed his hand back, “Well even a dark lord can’t rule alone, can he?”

“Who’s the one sounding like a child now?” he flashed a smile

“Shut up.” I punched his arm with my free hand and he grabbed it.

“Since you’re already late why don’t I kidnap Mrs. Dark Lord for a little longer.” he nuzzled his nose against mine.

“I’ll allow it.” I giggled. He smiled back at me and took my hand, pulling me down the street.

 

My phone began to vibrate in my pocket and I looked down to see my friend calling. No doubt she was going to yell at me for being late.

 

“Who’s that?” Kyungsoo glanced down.

“Eh it’s the person I was late for,” I shrugged and silenced my phone, “But Miss Grumpy answers to no one.

He laughed and threw his arm around me. Maybe my chronic lateness wasn’t as bad as I thought. If being late made me run into Kyungsoo everyday than so be it.