The One Who Stayed

The One Who Stayed - Soohyun

Listening to the cars roll over the distant street, eased your mind slightly, giving a soft background noise while your thoughts occupied your attention. Brushing your thumb over the matte finish on your white mug, you glanced down at the slightly warm liquid that rested in the porcelain mug.

The chocolate, liquid gently moved along the inside of the cup and making gentle ripples as your thumb tapped the handle gently. Another sigh slipped from your lips as you pulled your sleeves over your hands. Placing the once appetizing hot chocolate on a side table beside you, you pulled your knees up onto the wooden bench that you were sitting on.

Leaning back, you pulled your hood over your head, covering your eyes and moving into your own little world as the stars gently twinkled overhead, the man in the moon rising in the sky with each passing minute. Resting your head on the exterior of your apartment, you rounded your shoulders as your arms wrapped around your knees, pulling them closer to your chest.

Watching the lights change on the traffic lights, you tried to work through your problems that you were going through but with no light at the end of the tunnel to guide you, you hissed to yourself not knowing what to do next.

Hours seemed to pass while the cool night air turned cloudy and the summer evening rain showers were soon here. Distant grumbling of the clouds and sudden flashes of lighting somehow made you feel slightly better.

Meanwhile Soohyun searched his bag as he walked up the stairs for his key to your apartment, figuring that he would stop by and check on you, he found the brass keys. Lifting them out of his bag, he thumbed through the multiple keys to find the one that had a heart sticker on the largest part of the key.

Arriving in front of your door, he carefully slid the key into the black lock. Turning it gently, one way then the other, he moved the key to the other lock, twisting it one way then back again, he pulled the key from the handle. Pushing and twisting the door, he slowly entered your apartment, looking around when he entered he looked for any signs that you were still awake.

Scanning the kitchen then the living room, small office then craning his neck to look at the bedroom, he saw no lights . Pursing his lips and lifting the bag from his shoulder, he slid off his shoes gently before the light out on the balcony caught his eyes.

Carefully following the windows that showed the balcony, he saw your head move and your body sitting on the old wood bench. Placing his bag on the ground, he moved across the floor and to the back door. Cautiously pulling on the handle, he opened the sliding glass door, slightly opened, he stuck his head out the opening and watched you for a moment before he knocked on the glass with his knuckles.

”_________?” Soohyun called sweetly, but you just turned your head the other direction and watched the cars go and stop at the light.

"Who else" You mumbled quietly, hoping that he wouldn’t hear. Pushing the sliding glass door open just a little more, he stepped out onto the deck and closed the door behind him. Moseying over to the iron railing, he leaned against it while he studied you from afar.

"What are you doing here?" You asked a little louder so he could hear.

"Do I have to make an appointment to see my girlfriend?" Soohyun joked with a chuckle tickling his words.

"It would be nice" You grumbled resting your chin on your knees while you let out another sigh. Hearing your tone colder than it normally was, not to mention that it sounded like you had all of the life drained from you, he took a step towards you with worried eyes.

"Are you okay?" He cautiously questioned you, choosing not to answer his question, you rested your forehead against your knees trying to hide your tear soaked face and reddened strained eyes.

"How was work?" He questioned, just trying to get you to talk now while he sat on the old creaking bench. The wood moaned and groaned under his weight, twisting and turning with each movement that he took.

"Fine" You answered simply.

"Anything fun happen today?" Soohyun tried anything to lighten the mood just a little.

"No" You shot back quietly.

"I see~" Soohyun leaned back and scanned your figure, your hair over both shoulders, your black hoodie over your torso, the hood itself pulled up over your head and the strings between your tense fingers, grey yoga pants and ankle biter socks.

The air settled between the two of you while he played with the keys in his hands, running his thumb over the harsh edges of the key, he occasionally glanced over at you. However when he saw your shoulder gently shake and soft whimpers coming from you, he raised his closest hand and rested it on your back.

Soothingly rubbing it in circles as he just let the silence fill the space between the two of you. Turning into him, you laid your legs over his and buried your head into his strong chest, your arms tightly wrapping around him and pulling him closer to you. Taken a little back by your actions, he wrapped his arms around you and gently rested his head on yours.

"What’s wrong?" He whispered ever so quietly, yet lovingly against the fabric of your hoodie.

"E-Everyt-thing" You choked out through your tears just holding onto him tighter. Calmly, he moved one of his hands up and cradled the back of your head as he placed a kiss on the crown of your head. Just waiting for you to crack and tell him what was going on.

Patiently waiting, you eventually broke down and told him about your countless bad days, your sleepless nights, your hopeless future that you were sure that you were going to have, all of your hopes and dreams that you were wishing that you could just have. Telling him everything, you were at your lowest point, your most vulnerable state. However he just held you tighter, rocking you gently back and forth with compassionate eyes and accepting ears that just soaked up everything that you told him.

Once you were all done and all of your tears had dried up, your breath still shaky, but feeling still hopeless, you rested your head on his chest, listening to your favorite song, his heartbeat.

Many questioned flooded Soohyun’s mind as he listened to you, but he knew all that you needed now was listening ears.

"Everything will turn out how it is supposed to" He whispered, finally

"How can you be sure?" You whispered, your voice hoarse from all of the tears and yelling into your covered hands.

"It just does, that is how life works" He calmly explained as he would to a child.

"But what if it doesn’t?" You questioned him this time

"It will, you just have to go through the hard times to get to the good times" He slid his hand under your hood and pet your hair leisurely. The air fell silent over you two, once more.

"Soohyun, can I a-ask you s-something?" You looked up at him for the first time since he arrived

"Anything, love" He lightly smiled down at you

"Will you still stay with me even though you have seen me like this?" You dropped your gaze while your arms moved from around him, your hands rested in your lap while your fingers fiddled with each other.

"What do you mean?" He suddenly asked a little confused

"Seeing me at my all time low" You clearified

"Why would I leave you for seeing your emotions and seeing what you are going through?" His eyes widened looking down at you. Shrugging your shoulders, your tongue fiddled while you tried to find the right words.

"Everyone leaves me after something like this" You remarked at a soft whisper

"I will promise you that I will stay here as long as you need me, and I won’t leave just because you had a bad streak" He tilted your chin up and looked at you in the eyes, leaning over he placed a loving, honest and warm kiss on your cheek. Pulling away after the lingering kiss you looked up into his chocolate eyes, finding the truth in his words, you nodded and wrapped your arms around him once more.  

"Thank you" You whispered as you rested your head on his tear soaked shirt.

Soohyun remained at your apartment that night, calling in for your sick the next day, he even stayed the whole day with you, just doing whatever made you happy, just to show you that he loved you with every act.