Final.

I've got sunshine (on a cloudy day)
I've got sunshine (on a cloudy day)

 

+

 

 Baekhyun often forgets to keep himself warm (and that's what Chanyeol is here for).

 

 

Today's weather is forecasted to be mostly cloudy with an 87 percent chance of rain. The temperature outside is at 18 degrees celsius but it feels more like it's ten degrees celsius, and Chanyeol knows that this certainly would not do. Biting his toast in between his front teeth, he grabs an extra coat and a yellow polka dotted umbrella from the woven basket in the hallway before he heads out for the day. A chilly gust of wind blankets him as he makes his way onto the concrete pavements but it does little to discourage his cheery mood because he's on his way to his Happiness. Along the way he stops to pet a stray cat, giving it the rest of his breakfast because it certainly looked like the poor animal needed it more. He hums a light tune as he turns the corner, only ceasing when he sees his Happiness by the entrance of the apartment complex, his lips pulling into a bright grin.

 

"Good morning, Chanyeollie!" Happiness chirps in a voice that makes Chanyeol's heart skip a few beats. The taller boy uses his free hand to return the cute wave, and takes one, two, three long strides before he reaches the other who promptly wraps his slender arms around his waist. 

 

"Got you," Happiness whispers before he erupts into a small fit of giggles as he tiptoes to graze his lips against Chanyeol's who meets him halfway. When they pull away, the first thing Chanyeol does is to help the other into the extra coat. He ignores the half-hearted whiny protests from the other about being able to do it himself, gently tugging his hand into the arm sleeves and rolling them up a little so it doesn't flap around. 

 

"You need to stop forgetting your coat, Baekhyun." Chanyeol chides, albeit affectionately and out of pure concern. Happiness pulls an adorable pout and inhales a breath of stubbornness. The brown bangs that rests in a side-swept manner on his forehead flies up momentarily from his huffing.

 

"It's laundry day today." Baekhyun says as a matter-of-factly. 

 

Chanyeol frowns. "You need to buy more coats. One isn't enough, Sunshine. Sometimes I wonder if it's your first day living in Korea. You always disregard the weather here."

 

"One is more than enough, Yeol. I could always put on an extra layer of clothes--"

 

"--which you never do." Chanyeol cuts him off with a fold of his arms and the cocking of an eyebrow.

 

"And you want to know why?" Baekhyun asks with a playful grin. Chanyeol narrows his eyes at the other. "Becaaaause, I know you'll always be there to protect me from the cold."

 

Chanyeol shakes his head with a chuckle, breaking their eye contact. "Sunshine, you are impossible."

 

+

 

"It's going to rain today." Chanyeol informs Happiness as they both cast their gaze to the sky where some dark clouds are beginning to roll in. Out of the corner of his eyes, Chanyeol notices a small frown creeping into the other's features, his lips curled downward at the sides. Chanyeol reaches a hand out to tug him into his side where Happiness fits perfectly into the crook.  The first few drops of rain falls on Baekhyun's cheekbone right on cue and he scrunches his nose at the cold sensation that crawls down the side of his face, eyes blinking rapidly. Chanyeol resists the urge to laugh and wordlessly reaches over to swipe Happiness' discomfort away with a thumb. Chanyeol is glad he brought the umbrella along today because the forecast is never wrong and he would never take any chances if there is a likelihood of Baekhyun being disgruntled. With a press of a button, the canvas arches open, sheltering them from Mother Nature's impending wrath. The umbrella he had brought along is huge enough to fit the both of them but Chanyeol keeps Baekhyun tucked close to his side anyway.

 

"I'm going to be a little late tonight." Baekhyun says conversationally, slinging his right arm around Chanyeol's waist. They walk by Mrs. Lee's flower shop and greets the kindly middle-aged florist a good morning with a small bow. The greeting is returned with a look of admiration from the lady who has always loved seeing the two love birds walk each other to work.

 

"It's okay, I can wait." Chanyeol assures with a smile. Their conversation is quiet and light this morning, just like the weather. Chanyeol talks about a possible visit to the animal shelter and Baekhyun is eager to request to follow. It's still only drizzling when they arrive at Chanyeol's office building and their synchronized steps comes to a stop. They turn to face each other before Chanyeol leans in for a quick kiss. 

 

"Can't wait for later." Baekhyun's eyes shine brightly as they bore into Chanyeol's. A large hand that had been engulfing a comparatively daintier one slips away to caress Baekhyun's cheek. 

 

"Hoping later would come soon." Chanyeol's lips quirk into that lopsided grin Baekhyun absolutely adores.

 

"You promise we can have Chinese?" Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol expectantly.

 

"Why must it be Chinese?" Chanyeol groans. He has nothing against it, but it's their anniversary and he thought they could have something a little more unique rather than the same old. But Happiness' eyes dim a little at the words and Chanyeol immediately regrets it.

 

"Okay, fine, we can have whatever you'd like for dinner." 

 

Happiness' heart swells with love and it shows in the way he impulsively grabs Chanyeol by the nape of his neck and pulls him down for a brief but intense kiss, lips hot and wet against Chanyeol's own. He beams up at the other when he breaks off.

 

"Thanks, Yeol! You're the best!" It's funny how such a simple gesture could make Baekhyun swoon all over him. Sometimes Chanyeol wonders how he got lucky finding Happiness. Ah, it must have been the horrible mop of curls on his head he used to have. It stuck out like a sore thumb. But Baekhyun is the sweetest person ever, and whenever Chanyeol finds himself wondering aloud, Baekhyun would be quick to reassure him that it was the warmth in his eyes that had drawn him in. That, and his ability to make Baekhyun laugh even when there was nothing else that could turn his frown upside down.

 

"If it's any consolation," Baekhyun adds in a cheeky tone, "Chinese won't be the only thing you'll have for dinner tonight."

 

A dark shade of red paints the tips of Chanyeol's ears at the obscene thought as Baekhyun giggles, gently fondling one of them with affection. He wishes he could make Baekhyun flush like how Baekhyun does it to him, just so Baekhyun's cheeks could heat up just right. 

 

 "I'll see you later." Baekhyun turns to leave with a last flying kiss, in which Chanyeol catches in a heartbeat and places over his heart.

 

"Keep warm, Sunshine." Chanyeol calls as he watches his Happiness join the crowd once again, the yellow polka dotted umbrella standing out in the sea of black. 

 

+

 

Chanyeol doesn't like the rain (because Baekhyun doesn't like the cold).

 

 

The floodgates of heaven stays open the rest of the day. Chanyeol had spent his afternoon biting the end of his pencil, watching the clouds' tears slide down his window outside with a minute crease between his eyebrows and wondering if the heater at Happiness' kindergarten is turned up just right. Chanyeol brings Baekhyun's potted sunflower in when the rain gets heavier. He smiles silly at himself as he reminisces of how he had presented Happiness with it on their first date with the claim that Baekhyun effectively brightens up his days. It's plastic, but only because Chanyeol wanted it to last as long as their relationship would (forever). Chanyeol slides along the floorboards with his socks on to get the door when the bell rings to indicate the arrival of the dumplings and their jajang noodles. 

 

It's a full-on thunderstorm by the time dinner gets cold and Chanyeol's worries rise exponentially with each ticking of the second hand. He has tried calling but the lines must be down because of the storm outside. Chanyeol is close to tears and at his wit's end when the news of a flash flood occuring in the vicinity plays on the telly right before he grabs his coat. His hand reaches out to grab the yellow umbrella only to remember that Happiness has it today. The thought, however inconsequential in the downpour, is infinitesimally but welcomingly comforting. It's a frenzy when he gets to the streets. Those still out in the open are on a helter-skelter dash to seek refuge, and Chanyeol earns himself odd stares from onlookers when he rushes out unprotected from the harsh weather, sloshing along the ankle-deep flooded pavements with the repeated cries of Baekhyun falling from his lips. 

 

.

.

.
 

"Wha-- CHANYEOL!" 

 

At the sound of Happiness, Chanyeol's steps comes to a halt. He's bent over with his hands on his knees, gasping to take in the air he has run out of, but he lifts his head up to see Baekhyun safe and dry right before his eyes. Baekhyun takes a moment to register his lover's drenched state before hurrying to the pantry to get a dry towel and then proceeding to blanket him with it.

 

"Please don't tell me you ran all the way here, in the raging storm because that's a dumb thing to do, even for you, Park Chanyeol. I can't even-- what were you thinking? Did you want to catch pneumonia, you fool? Can't you see how heavy the rain is outside? Why'd you have to do something like this? What if you'd fallen somewhere or... or..."

 

"--I just needed to see if you were safe, okay? You don't answer my texts and calls and why have your phone been turned off the whole day!?" Chanyeol retorts in the same argumentative tone, wincing slightly as Baekhyun harshly runs the towel through the wet strands of his matted hair. Dissension hangs in the still air as Baekhyun continues to wipe him dry. 

 

He dabs one last time at the water pearling in the corner of Chanyeol's eyes and lets out a quiet sigh.

 

"Don't ever do that again, Chanyeol. If you get a cold from being out in the rain, who will keep me warm then?"

 

+

 

Chanyeol doesn't like seeing Baekhyun sad (because his eyes are meant to shine as bright as the sun)

 

"Sunshine, look what I've got!" Chanyeol calls as he dashes into the room, flinging the door open with a pot in hand and a silly grin across his face. Happiness has been feeling rather down lately but a glance at Chanyeol and the bloom of hope so promising in his hands brightens his mood.

 

"It's a real sunflower," Chanyeol states the obvious when Baekhyun says nothing but to gaze at the pretty little miracle with a thoughtful expression.

 

"It's been raining for weeks." Baekhyun finally murmurs in utter disbelief, eyes still transfixed upon the flower as Chanyeol closes the distance between himself and the bed.

 

"For some reason it grew well in your room," Chanyeol explains. "You can have this one here to keep you company." The pot is placed at the window sill where the flower can bask in the afternoon sun's rays that peek through the shutters.

 

"How's my Sunshine feeling today?" Chanyeol asks when he turns around and leans over the side of the bed, hand reaching down to run his fingers through Baekhyun's dark locks.

 

"Not too good," Baekhyun admits with a small sigh, peering up at Chanyeol through his messy bangs. Chanyeol's eyebrows pull together at the revelation.

 

"But I'm feeling much better with you and little sunflower here."  Chanyeol's heart flutters at the lovely smile that stretches across Happiness' face. There's weariness etched into it but it's genuine and it's bright and it's so Baekhyun. It makes Chanyeol fall in love just a little bit more, if that's even possible.

 

"Get better soon, then you can leave this place and never come back." Chanyeol promises him softly, sealing it with a kiss to the top of his head. He lingers for a moment but when he moves to pull away, he feels a pair of arms snake around his waist from the front. Chanyeol's own hands come to rest around the other's shoulders with Baekhyun's head tucked neatly under his chin.

 

"Can you stay today?" Baekhyun asks with muffled voice where he has his face completely buried into the front of Chanyeol's sweater. Chanyeol knows better than to say no and it's not like he wants to either. But he has been compromising too much work in order to keep his daily visits and the thought of the mountain of work that keeps piling at his desk obliterates any hopes of staying with Happiness for the night.

 

"You know I'd do anything to keep you company, even for a night," Chanyeol starts to say, and Baekhyun can already feel the but coming.

 

Chanyeol sighs heavily. This was way harder than he thought it would be. How could he possibly let Happiness down when he's being all clingy and adorable, making it virtually impossible to peel himself away? Of the two of them, Chanyeol had always been the one with a better display of affection. These days, though, Happiness stuck to him like glue and refused to do anything without the presence of his one and only.

 

Before he knows it, he hears a quiet sob that breaks his heart, the sound reverberating off the walls and echoing sorrowfully in the room. Baekhyun's fists curls tighter around his sweater, the fabric woven through the gaps of his slender fingers. There had been days when Baekhyun would fake his tears and frowns just so he could guilt-trip his loving boyfriend into staying with him despite his work responsibilities and Chanyeol could always tell even though he would still make the decision to stay. But this time was different. Chanyeol just knows. He knows by the way Baekhyun has his face desperately hidden from Chanyeol so the fear in his eyes wouldn't show. He knows by the way Baekhyun's lips twitch heavily against his chest, as if he was trying his best to pull them into a smile to stop the tears from flowing so freely.

 

"I don't want you to leave," Baekhyun utters after the longest minute of their lives. Chanyeol frowns at the words that were thrown like a death sentence. 

 

"I'm not leaving, Baekhyun. I'll be here in the morning, just like I always am."

 

He feels Baekhyun shake his head ever so slightly and he hugs the boy just a bit tighter. 

 

"What if I'm not here in the morning?" Happiness whispers fearfully. Chanyeol's body goes rigid at those words that held so much dreaded meaning behind them. They've talked about it, enough to expect what's coming, but never well prepared. It wasn't so much as leaving, as it was separation from Chanyeol that scared Baekhyun, to be honest.

 

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol is quick to warn, voice stern and grip firm. Baekhyun only cries harder and Chanyeol would have done something to prevent any more tears from escaping if it were any other time but not today. Instead, he lets Happiness drain all the negativities and sadness in his embrace. 

 

"I'm sorry," is what Baekhyun hiccups when he finally calms down. "I'm so sorry, Chanyeollie."

 

"You have nothing to be sorry for." Chanyeol unhooks his arms from around Baekhyun but a pair of hands come to grip onto his sides. Happiness' eyes are as dim as they'd been in the past few weeks since he'd been bedridden but they're no longer clouded with doubt and it makes Chanyeol feel relieved, even if he still had a long way to go before he's fully recovered.

 

"I do. I'm lousy, aren't I? You deserve better--"

 

The rest of his words are drowned by the slanting of Chanyeol's lips against his, the hard tongue running along the bottom of his lip. They're both gasping lightly when the kiss is broken as suddenly as it had happened. The dead serious look in Chanyeol's eyes is a little intimidating but it builds Baekhyun's confidence more than anything. It's y, even. The corners of Baekhyun's lips turn upward at the thought.

 

"Silly. Sunshine, you are silly. I can't do without my Happiness and you know that." Chanyeol could tell Baekhyun had a hundred different ways to refute the claim by the way he was worrying his lower lip but Chanyeol silences him with a hand to cup his cheek.

 

"Today. We have today, now, and that is all that matters. You're here, I'm here." Chanyeol gently the apple of Baekhyun's cheek with a thumb. Baekhyun's eyes water again, but this time it's because of how romantic Chanyeol can be. 

 

"When I drop by later after work I'll bring along a sleeping bag, a tub of ice cream and a bunch of cds so we can have a Disney movie marathon. How's that sound?" Chanyeol suggests with a comical waggle of his eyebrows that has Baekhyun laughing. 

 

"Okay," Baekhyun hiccups with a nod and a smile, "Okay."

 

"But leave the sleeping bag, Yeol. There's room for us both on the bed."

 

There's barely room for one person but they'll work something out.

 

+

 

They're all cuddled under the sheets, limbs entwined, hearts beating as one.

 

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

 

Finding Nemo is playing on the telly and Chanyeol has absolutely no idea where his legs start and Baekhyun's end but it doesn't matter because what does it that he has Happiness wrapped in the safe haven of his arms as he continues to get a taste of those sweet lips he will never get enough of. Even when they pause for a breather, Chanyeol can't help but to continuously pepper Baekhyun's face with butterfly kisses just so he could elicit cute, heartwarming giggles from him.

 

"Yeollie, stooop," Baekhyun says through another round of laughter as he tries to push the other away with a hand to his face. Chanyeol remains unyielding, braving through girly shoves in his face to resume his mission of getting as many kisses as he can onto Baekhyun's face. Just because he can.

 

"Chanyeol," Baekhyun protests again, only to have his boyfriend pull him tighter against his chest. It's too much for fragile Baekhyun who ends up a little short of breath.

 

"Chanyeol," Baekhyun gasps, frantically clawing at his boyfriend's arm. Chanyeol notices Happiness' plight and immediately releases his hold, tugging at Baekhyun's arm to get him to sit up.

 

"Sorry, Baek! I got carried away!" Chanyeol's apologies come in an endless stream as he rubs a hand on Baekhyun's back to help him to regulate his breathing. Baekhyun stops heaving after a while, taking short measured breaths, and turns to face Chanyeol who had turned pale at the realisation of his blunder.

 

"It's okay, Yeol. I'm alright now." Baekhyun gives him a smile and a reassuring squeeze of his hand. Chanyeol turns Baekhyun's wrist over in his hands, checking to make sure the IV line wasn't disrupted. 

 

"We should probably do something less... strenous." Chanyeol seriously declares. "My kisses obviously have too strong of an effect on you."

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes and sticks his tongue out at Chanyeol but his boyfriend's only response was to bring Happiness' hand to his lips to graze them along the knuckles that has jut out way too much in the past few weeks since Baekhyun's relapse.

 

.

.

.

 

Few minutes, countless adamant protests and lots of convincing later, Baekhyun finds himself standing in the middle of the room with a hand on his waist and the other intertwined with Chanyeol's comparatively larger one. The telly had been muted and there's nothing but the sound of Baekhyun's mind whirring to comprehend Chanyeol's -- quirky -- idea.

 

"This is your idea of something less strenuous?" Baekhyun questions incredulously,  gesturing to what they were doing. 

 

"Why are you complaining, Sunshine? I'm doing all the work here." Well, Chanyeol did have a point. Baekhyun's feet were on Chanyeol's and Chanyeol did all the moving for them.

 

"But I don't get why I have to be the one to place my hand on your shoulder. You're way too tall, my gangly love," Baekhyun grumbles, albeit affectionately. 

 

Chanyeol merely chuckles with a shake of his head, starting a hum under his breath. Baekhyun knew right away what song it was. It was the song Chanyeol had serenaded him with the same time he'd presented the flower on that first date all those years back. It's a sweet melody that has Baekhyun swaying along, moving in sync with Chanyeol's simple side steps. Chanyeol steals a few kisses, not on the lips, but on Baekhyun's forehead, his cheeks, temples, and nose before he finally gets into the lyrics of the song, throwing his head back as he sings, 

 

"I've got Sunshiiiiiiineeeeeee." 

 

He belts out the first line with an error in his pitch but still perfect to Baekhyun's ears nonetheless.

 

"On a cloudy daaaaaay," Baekhyun continues as Chanyeol twirls him around, giggling when he's unexpectedly dipped with a large hand supporting the small of his back. 

 

"So that's why you wanted me to play the girl. You sneaky bastard." Baekhyun takes a jab at his ribs and moves it to clutch at Chanyeol's biceps instead of his shoulder.

 

"When it's cold outsiiiiide," Chanyeol picks up where they'd left, unfazed by Baekhyun's attack on him. Chanyeol gives an expectant tilt of his head to Baekhyun who smirks.

 

"I've got Chanyeollie to keep me waaaarm," Baekhyun giggles as he changes the lyrics. They lock eyes, and Chanyeol sees his own happiness reflected in Baekhyun's. 

 

"It doesn't even rhyme, Sunshine," Chanyeol laughs, releasing his hold on Baekhyun but keeping his hand on the small of his back. Happiness tiptoes Chanyeol's feet and swings his arms around Chanyeol's neck. Baekhyun kisses him deeply and a small murmur of I love you tickles Chanyeol's lips.

 

Baekhyun doesn't have to worry. He's not worried. Chanyeol will keep him warm till the end of time.

 

+

 

Today's weather is forecasted to be mostly cloudy with a 57 percent chance of rain. The temperature outside is at 24 degrees celsius but it feels more like it's 14 degrees celsius, and Chanyeol knows that this certainly would not do. Biting his toast in between his front teeth, he grabs an extra coat and a yellow polka dotted umbrella from the woven basket in the hallway before he heads out for the day. A chilly gust of wind blankets him as he makes his way onto the concrete pavements but it does little to discourage his cheery mood because he's on his way to his Happiness. Along the way he stops by Mrs. Lee's flower shop and greets the kindly middle-aged florist a good morning with a small bow. The greeting is returned with a somewhat sad-- or maybe empathetic? -- knowing smile from the lady who hands him the bouquet of fresh sunflowers he buys every time it rains. Today, though, is a special day. Chanyeol doesn't have to visit Baekhyun every time it rains anymore because Baekhyun now has his own shelter built for him, courtesy of Chanyeol who had designed it, with love.

 

"Good morning, Chanyeollie!"

 

Chanyeol beams as soon as Happiness comes into view. It's drizzling lightly when he arrives but it soon stops when he steps under the glass dome.

 

"How is my Sunshine feeling today?" Chanyeol doesn't expect an answer but just asking it aloud makes him feel good that Baekhyun can somewhat hear him. 

 

"How do you like the dome I made you?" Chanyeol asks, taking a look around at the shelter for the first time. "It's supposed to keep the rain out, you know, since you hate it. And I made sure they made it transparent so you could bask in the sun when it's bright out, just as you like it."

 

He glances up at the sky through the glass ceiling. The sun emerges from behind a group of clouds and it shines down on them both. Chanyeol is satisfied with the way the crystal of the glass refracts the light such that it erupts into a burst of colours, showering the dome with the colours of the rainbow. It's pretty. Baekhyun surely loves it.

 

It's like a little greenhouse, Chanyeol thinks.

 

"The next time it's warmer out I'll grow some sunflowers here so you won't be too lonely when I'm not around," Chanyeol promises with a determined grin.

 

Chanyeol spends the next hour or so making sure the shelter was tidy and then spending the remaining time he had talking to Happiness. Mostly about work, and basically just how he's been coping. He talks about his promotion. He talks about the dog they'd been meaning to adopt. He named the Maltese Haru, as suggested by Baekhyun.

 

It's been a year and he misses Baekhyun all the same but that didn't mean he was going to be continuously sad about it. He knew Baekhyun wouldn't have liked it. 

 

Chanyeol stands up and brushes the grass from his pants.

 

"How do you like the sunflowers I brought along, though?" Chanyeol gestures to the ones he'd placed neatly on the side with the coat and the opened yellow umbrella. "Actually, scratch that. You better love it, Sunshine."

 

"These things cost a lot more when you have to fork out money for it every other day," Chanyel jokes with a shaky laugh.

 

"I'll still come by every month, so don't worry, Sunshine." Chanyeol assures with a sad smile. "You know I'll always be here."

 

"I know you'll always protect me from the cold."

 

Chanyeol takes a deep breath and lets it out. He gives a last flying kiss to Happiness and turns around to leave. He hums under his breath as he walks away, tone happy despite the few tears that slide down his cheeks.

 

"I've got sunshineee, on a cloudy daaaay."

 

END.

+

 

A/N: This was originally supposed to be an OTOT thing but I decided to submit it for a contest! Anyway, idk if it's just me or if it's confusing? If you guys are not quite clear about anything then I must have done a lousy job with this piece. But that aside, I'll be glad to answer any of your questions. (though I'm not very certain with what I've written either OTL)

Hope there aren't mistakes. Please do let me know if there are! Thank you x 

 

* The song used in the story and for the title itself is The Temptations - My Girl