Final。

Fate.

The rain poured down just as Yejin got out of the bookstore. She contemplated going back in, but she spent the past three hours inside and the shop clerk had already shown her displeasure by glaring at Yejin every now and then, but she had been to busy getting immersed in the book she was holding to notice anything.

She finally decided to get a few books and got out of the store, only for the rain to fall like a hailstorm. She sighed and hugged herself in an attempt to keep herself warm and moved closer into the shelter. If only there were seats outside, she thought, then I could enjoy my new books outside.

She puffed her cheeks as she stared at the falling rain; she didn’t mind getting wet at all – she loved the rain, especially playing in them – it’s her books she was worried about. They were new and the paper bag holding them would definitely get soaked if she ran out. She sighed. Guess I have no choice but to wait.

The bell connected to the door of the bookstore rang, and Yejin looked to her left to see a man about a head taller than her walk out. She recognized him from earlier, when she dropped her book in front of him and he picked it up for her. She mumbled a thank you, but she did not really see his face; she recognized him from the weird patterned shoes he was wearing.

He seemed to notice the rain and took out a small umbrella from his bag. She stared at the umbrella, thinking whether to ask him for shelter to the bus stop. She finally decided that it was a little too absurd to ask a stranger such a thing, since she wasn’t a very bold person to begin with anyway. The man noticed her stare though, and cleared his throat slightly, successfully catching her attention.

“Do you need a lift somewhere?” He smiled, his dimples showing. “My car is just there, I can bring you if you want.”

Yejin flustered at his kind offer and waved her hands furiously. “No no! It’s fine, I’ll just wait for the rain to stop.”

“Really? But the rain doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon. Why not I’ll just walk you to where ever you’re heading? If you’re uncomfortable taking my car.”

She bit her lip and pushed up her glasses, a bad habit she always does when she’s thinking or nervous. “Well, I’m just heading to the bus stop but – “

“Great!” He exclaimed. “I’ll walk you over.”

 

 

The walk to the bus stop was a short ten minutes, but Yejin felt like only a minute had passed. She thought it'd be awkward, with them being strangers, but it was anything but. She learned that he loved the same authors as her; that Twilight was too overrated, and Agatha Christie wrote the best mystery books ever.

They talked about anything and everything, and Yejin had never felt so comfortable with a stranger before. They reached the bus stop, and he offered to wait for the bus with her.

Although the list of topics never seemed to run out, the bus eventually came and Yejin had to say goodbye. “That’s my bus,” she said. She almost wished the bus would break down then and there, so she would have an excuse to stay with him longer.

“Oh,” he stood up with Yejin as the bus slowly rolled to a stop. “I’ll see you around, maybe?” He smiled and the dimple showed. She decided that it was her favorite part of him and nodded. Then, she realized as she tapped her card: she never got his name.

“Wait!” she shouted, and the bus driver was nice enough to stop. “I never got your name.”

He grinned. “I’ll tell you the next time we meet,” and with that last sentence, the door closed and drove off, leaving Yejin stoned at the entrance.

 

 

Fate, Yejin decided. She never believed in fate before, or any of those crap, but after the meeting with Mr Dimple, she changed her views. I’ll tell you the next time we meet, the sentence kept swimming around her mind, and she couldn’t wait to see him again.

She wondered if he was in school like her, flipping through textbooks as he thought of her as much as she was thinking of him. She sighed and shook her head, trying to clear the thoughts away. Yejin seemed to have caught the lovesick bug.

It was finally Saturday, and she got up early to go to the bookstore again, just to try her luck. She let her hair fall loose around her shoulders and wore a sundress; she wanted to look her best just for him.

She reached the bookstore just a while after they opened, and the same clerk that gave her weird looks last week was working again. She recognized Yejin and pretended she didn’t see her before arranging some books on the shelf.

Yejin settled down on a seat with a book and began reading as she waited. But an hour passed, two, and finally after she finished her book and the sky was slowly turning dark, he did not appear.

She went there religiously every weekend, fearing that if she missed a week she would miss him forever, but three weeks had gone by just like that and soon, it was summer break already.

It was the last day of school before summer break, but she couldn’t really bring her spirits up after three weeks of futile waiting at the bookstore. Maybe I’ll try my luck just one last time, she told herself and with renewed vigor, she bid farewell to her classmates and went home.

As luck would have it, her parents booked tickets to Bali for a short getaway for the weekend, and Yejin couldn’t possibly say no. So that night, she packed her bags slowly, not forgetting to pack a few books to pass time and sighed. Maybe there wasn’t such a thing called fate after all.

 

 

As the plane was a small one, there were only two seats per row, so Yejin had to sit separately from her parents. She didn’t mind it, actually, since she could focus on her book rather than making small talk with her mom or talking about business with her dad.

She took the window seat and began reading her book. As it got to the of the book, she got excited and started nibbling her thumb – another bad habit.

“You know she dies in the end, right?” The man next to her commented and she nodded.

“I know,” she flipped the page. “It’s my second time reading it.”

“You re-read books?” The man asked and Yejin nodded.

“Why not?” she answered, her focus on the book instead of him. “I think books are like a mini tv in your head; it stretches your imagination. What you see this time might seem different the next time you read it again.”

“Really,” The man said, a hint of smile in his voice. “That’s funny, because I think so, too.”

That sentence caught Yejin’s attention almost immediately, since there weren’t much people who had the same thinking about books as her. Her classmates were all into fashion, make up, and kpop. She was the only one who was into novels; stories that actually tell a story, instead of just meaningless drama.

“Really?!” She snapped her head towards the stranger, only to find that he wasn’t a stranger after all. “You– you– “

He pushed down her finger and smiled, showing the dimple that Yejin liked and missed so much. “Don’t you know it’s rude to point?” He raised an eyebrow.

“But, you!” Yejin didn’t know what to feel. Anger? Astonishment? Happiness? “What are you doing here?”

“Same reason as you, of course,” he replied. And at that moment, Yejin thanked her stars and she became a believer of fate again.

“Wait,” she felt the need to get it out of the way before she lost the chance again. “You said you’re gonna tell me your name the next time we meet, so what is it?”

The man smile his dimple smile and Yejin felt that she could just stare at his smile all day and not get tired of it. “Tell me yours first,” he demanded.

“If I tell you mine would you tell me yours?” Yejin narrowed her eyes.

“Of course, it’s a fair trade right? Your name for mine.” He shrugged.

“Alright,” she let out a breath. “Song Yejin.”

The man grinned and held her hand for a handshake. “Nice to meet you Song Yejin,” He met her eyes and held her gaze. “I’m Nam Woohyun.”

 

 

~~~~~

this was done in a whim LOL i almost changed the main to Kai, but recently i feel like my feels for Woohyun is coming back so tadahhhhh :3 anyway i hope you liked it! do leave comments and I love you guys!

 

 

here's a woohyun for you guys :33333