Leaving the lights on

Chocolate and cheese

I shoved the keys into the lock angrily, resulting in them jangling and falling to the floor. I sighed and bent down to pick them up. Today had not been a good day. Someone had spilt coffee down my blouse, at 9am too, so the whole day my top had been sodden and stank of that bitter drink that everyone liked. Not me. And then my computer wouldn’t work, neither would the printer, so that delayed everything and meant I was behind on what I had to do. And the boss had stolen my cookie. I mean, it was double chocolate chip!

I hated working in an office. I wish I was on tour like my boyfriend, Jongup. I mean, I can’t sing or anything but to travel around with my best mates and do what I love and have people love me for doing it… that would be amazing. I wished I was there with him. Because of my job I couldn’t go on their long tours, but it meant we were apart for so long. It was torture. I mean, we phoned each other every night but it wasn’t the same. I couldn’t hug him, feel his hands on my back and in my hair, I couldn’t feel his soft lips on mine. I couldn’t even smell his hair; Jongup’s hair always smelt nice, no matter what shampoo he used. It was always HIS smell, and not being able to be with him hurt so much.

Once inside, I slammed the door shut in anguish. Urgh, now, let’s dump my stuff, put on my pyjamas, order a pizza and put a film on. I mentally searched through my DVD cabinet for one I hadn’t seen in a while. My mind argued for Disney or a RomCom, but when it came to Aladdin, ‘The Proposal’ had no chance.

My eyes flipped to the closed kitchen door by my left, where a faint flow could be seen through the gap under the door. I groaned; I’d left the lights on again! That’s another huge sum of my money down the drain for the electricity bill. I grumbled to myself and marched over to the door, swinging it open.

I gasped.

I hadn’t left the light on. But as forgetful as I am, that wasn’t why I was surprised. The light came from candles dotted around the kitchen table, a soft yellow light that warmed my heart. No, I hadn’t left them candles there. Because sat in a chair, amongst all the candles and the rose petals and the flowers and the delicious-looking pizza sat on the beautifully laid table, was Jongup. My Jongup, sat there, dressed smart in the shirt I had bought him for his birthday, his purple hair neat but tousled, the way I like it.

“Jongup?”

“Hey beautiful.” Wow, his voice still sent tingles down my spine even though we’d talked on the phone last night.

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you meant to be spending the weekend in Dusseldorf?”

“I was too desperate to see you, so I flew back here. The concert in Dusseldorf has already been done, and this was my chance to come back. I didn’t want to miss it. I didn’t want to miss you for any longer.”

“I’ve missed you too. So, so much.”

“Come here, chicken.”

I fell onto his lap and he wrapped his strong arms around me, and I felt safe, secure, like he was never going to let go. I could feel his hands my back, I could smell his hair. His hair still smelt the same, even though it was a different colour to the last time I saw him. But this suited him. I loved it.

I lifted my head so I could see his eyes. I got lost, like I always did, in his eyes. They still had the twinkle in them that had hooked me the very first time I saw him that made my heart beat faster, so fast I thought it would come out of my chest and hit him in the stomach. Hm, that wouldn’t be romantic. Heart, pull it together.

I suddenly felt Jongup’s soft lips on mine, his hands on my waist. I melted under his kiss, his lips slowly caressing mine and his tongue gliding skilfully across my bottom lip. His hands my back again, and then they were in my hair, ruining the tidy bun on top of my head that I had managed to maintain throughout the whole day. But who cares? I’d wear my hair in a Jongup-mess every day if I could. Jongup’s kisses became sloppy and wet, and he squeezed my hips as I gripped his purple hair. If he'd told me he was getting his hair dyed that colour I would have pulled a face and advised him against it, but I'm glad he didn't mention it to me. He looked perfect. But then again, what colour wouldn't suit Jongup? He tilted me forward so I was leant against the table, but I heard a wobble and a smash and my blouse was drenched with apple juice.

“Argh!” I yelped and jumped up. Apple juice dripped on the floor in a puddle, and Jongup’s nice trousers were sodden. I felt a puddle in my shoes, but I didn’t sigh; I laughed, and Jongup laughed too. I picked at my apple coffee shirt and wondered if an apple shot in a coffee would taste nice. Probably not.

“What a mess.” He chuckled, so his eyes creased so much that I could barely see his pupils. He was so cute. I fetched some paper towels and we mopped it up.

“But hey, the pizza isn’t ruined!” He lifted up the plate in a flourish. “You’re favourite, madam, goat’s cheese and pepperoni.”

“You know me too well, sir.” I giggled and took a slice. It was delicious. “Mmmm.”

“Aaand…” Jongup put down the pizza and took a small bowl out of the fridge. “I got you brie and chocolate. In the same bowl. Because you are a weirdo and I don’t understand you.”

“Hey! Brie and chocolate go very well together I’ll have you know!” I popped a piece of the cheese and chocolate into my mouth and sighed, happily this time. I’m being honest, they are a match made in heaven!

“I’m sure it’s not that good.” He stuck out his tongue. I grabbed a piece of the chocolate-cheese and shoved it into his mouth. He pulled a face and tried to move his head away, but too late.

“Go on, chew it!” He rolled his eyes and began to chew, still pulling a disgusted face, which melted away and his eyebrows raised.

“You like it?” He reluctantly nodded and I punched the sky in victory.

“I told you!”

“Yeah, you did.” He laughed. “Now it’s my turn.”

My smile dropped. “What?”

“I sampled some different cuisines while on tour. It’s only fair that I share them with you. I bought some especially for you!”

I pulled a face. “Erm, ok? Tell me what it is first though right?”

He opened the fridge. “Firstly, this is one of my favourites; escargots et les cuisses de grenouilles!”

I swallowed nervously. “Erm, Jongup, what?”

He laughed.