Chapter 1

Esoteric.

Chapter 1:
»​Introduction

 

The digital clock at the corner of the small table indicated half pass three in the morning on 22nd April 2005. The 8 years old child, sleeping in the bed beside it woke up screaming for his parents. Within a few seconds, his mummy and daddy rushed in with an equally terrified expression on their face. “ What happened? “ the mother asked.

The father ran his hand through his son’s hair, wiping away the cold sweats on his son’s forehead. In his father’s hand, the little boy’s face seems somewhat smaller than it already is. “ I had a nightmare. “ the little boy whispered.

“ What is it about, honey? “ mother asked. The child fumbled around himself in search for his teddy bear. “ I – it was a strange dream. I – I was walking in a dark place. I didn’t know where it was but for some reason, I just walk as if knowing the place by heart. “

When he felt his teddy bear’s fur brushing pass his palm, he grabbed it by its leg and pulled it into a tight hug. “ I stopped, no, something told me to stop. I – I couldn’t hear anything, but – but I know something is telling me to stop, I feel like something is telling me to stop. “ The kid stuttered.

“ When I looked to my left, I saw the ocean. It was dark but the sound of wave and the smell of salt water gave it away. “ He fidgeted with the toe of his teddy bear and buried his face on top of its head. “ And then, I saw it. “

“ What did you see? “ father asked, the child’s smooth hair.

“ I saw something floating on top of the water and it was glowing blue. “ The parents look at each other and looked back at their son simultaneously. “ Although – although I couldn’t make out what it was, I was sure that – that it was staring at me. Then, for some reason, I ran toward it forgetting that it was floating on top of water. Then I, “

“ I drowned. “

Mother forced a small smile and hugged her son, patting his back as she was doing so. “ It’s okay, honey. It’s only a dream. You’re not drowning anymore. “

Father crept a smile and nodded, “ you’re with us now, you don’t need to worry about it anymore. “

After receiving a light kiss on each side of his cheek by both of his parents, the small child smiled and laid back on his navy themed bed. They exchanged good night greeting and after that, he’s off to dreamland again.

9 years after that, the boy still get the same weird dream routinely.

He woke up from his slumber in the family’s car because of the bumpy road. He straightened up as the aching on his neck started to through his whole body. He massaged the back of his neck and groaned. “ You’re awake, Jae? “

“ Yeah, “ he answered. “ Are we there yet, dad? “

“ Almost. “ father responded. Jaebum rustled on his seat and then leaned in to the front seats of the car, where his mother is sleeping with his toddler brother on her arm and his father is driving. “ Is it normal? “

“ What is? “ father replied. “ Having the same dream over and over again. “

“ Oh, you’re talking about the blue creature again? “

“ Yeah. Do you have the same dream over and over again? “

“ No. “ he answered. “ Then I’m weird? “

“ No, Jaebum. You’re not weird. Maybe the dream hold something special, I don’t know, maybe it's giving you a warning? “ Jaebum rested his head on the edge of his mother’s seat. “ Warning? “

Looking at his son with a small smile, father pointed at something outside of the car. “ We’re here.”

Jaebum ripped his gaze away from his father and to the place he was pointing at. It was a house, a light blue two storey house. The house wasn’t taller than average, but he can tell it was rather wide from the look of it.

“ Mom, wake up. We arrived. “ he whispered as he poked on his mother’s cheek. Frowning, his mother slapped his finger away and groaned.

With a small chuckle, he took his backpack and went out of the car after his father parked it right in front of the front yard.

He inhaled deeply and looked around the house. The best part of the new house is probably the fact that the nearest house is quite some distance away.

Jaebum took out a silver suitcase, took the house key from his dad and strode toward the house. He becomes the first person to enter the house and he was already surprised about the specious place. It was much better than his previous house, where it was hard to walk around in without bumping into some sort of object on the way.

“ How do you like the house? “ father came from behind  and pressed his hand on Jaebum’s shoulder. With a smile, Jaebum said, “ very much. “

After checking around the first floor, Jaebum went to the second floor. He leaves out the master bedroom for his parents and chooses the second largest room in the place as his own.

His room was already painted teal blue, the bed was already done and he didn’t take long to notice the breath taking scenery from his window. The scenery of the woods at the back of his house can be captured from the window. The slightly bluish and greyish colour of the woods that was cause by the lack of sunlight in the area was eerie and enchanting at the same time.

After settling his room and getting to know the inside of his house better, Jaebum changed to his favourite red hoodie and a simple black jean.

“ Mom, I’m going out. “ he informed as he took his snickers out of the shoes cabinet and put them on. “ Where are you going? “

“ Getting to know the neighbourhood. “

“ Well, be back before dinner. “

“ Okay. “ Jaebum nodded as he twisted the door knob and exited the house. Jaebum doesn’t like changes but he had been craving for change of air lately, especially after the entire chaos that was going on in his previous town.

Living near a drug dealing house hold that was constantly ambushed by the police was not exactly what Jaebum consider fun. He had to be very careful not to bother his neighbour and his whole family was under constant danger. It was not very enjoyable and now he is much, much happier.

Jaebum walked down to the town centre, doing his best to remember the routs. Unlike his house and its area, the town centre was actually lively and riotous.

Music are blasted everywhere, the advertisement signs are dazzling, the crowd was packed and various talents are shown in every corner of the streets. Dancer, singer, instrumental player, magician and such are grabbing attentions everywhere with their outstanding performance and Jaebum was more than amused. South Korea is a talented place.

After trying out some street foods, he went back to the direction home. He passed by a park and toured himself around it.

There are some beautiful trees around the park and the one that caught his attention the most is one particular cherry blossom tree.

Maybe it wasn’t the cherry blossom itself; maybe it was the person staring up at it from below. Jaebum stopped on his track and stared at the man that was standing there stock-still. Maybe it was just the way the late afternoon sunshine made him look so picturesque or maybe it was just the fact that the man had such a captivating feel around him.

Unexpectedly, the latter looked away from the cherry blossom and right through Jaebum’s eyes. Jaebum was a little taken aback, but he didn’t look away. The person in front of him stares with a soft gaze.

His eyes were reflecting the sun light and it made him seems, almost, miraculous and mystical. Finally, Jaebum took a tight grip on reality and looked away. He didn’t see it but he can feel the person’s gaze still fixed on him as he walked away.