Am I willing to fight?

The Other Girl


“What do you want?”

I turned from the window. There she stood, her eyes wary. Even in this guarded stance, I could see why Baekhyun  was entranced. She had this elegance that could not be faked.

I tried to hold back my smirk as I felt waves of rage vent from her. I held two cups, and offered the one in my left hand. “Iced tea? Baekhyun told me it was your favorite.”

“Stop mentioning him!”

I raised an eyebrow. “Or else?”

“Or else...or else...” She stumbled.

I tsked. “If you want to become Baekhyun's girlfriend, you must be quicker on your feet. The loudest fans and critics of the Korean music industry are the most cruel. I insist on the tea.”

She reluctantly took the cup. “Who said I wanted to be his girlfriend?” she challenged.

I smiled. “I've seen many girls with the same look in your eyes when you look at him. I'm not a fool, even if you may wish to your heart's desire that I am one.”

Her shoulders sagged. “Is it that obvious?”

“Only to an expert's eyes. I commend you for keeping yourself guarded to the best of your ability.” I took a sip. A tad bit too sweet for my taste. “Do you know why I asked you to meet me here?”

“No.”

“Good. It seems my judgment still holds true.” I took the envelope from my pocket. “Here is my invitation to tonight's celebration dinner with EXO after the music awards. I would like you to take my place and sit next to Baekhyun.”

Her eyes widened. “What?” She looked at me, as if to search my face for evidence that she was being tricked.

I shrugged. “I am not the girl who currently envisions Baekhyun in her future, nor am I the girl he envisions by his side. He's just too dorky to realize that he needs to chase what's directly in front of him. He wants to play it safe. Not that I blame him, but it’s not the best choice for him right now. You are the best person to bring him out of his shell.”

“B-but I thought-”

“I loved him?” She nodded, and I laughed. “Perhaps a lifetime ago, I would have responded yes. But boys will be boys. I cannot wait for them forever.”

“What happened?”

I blinked at the question. No one had ever asked me that before.

I stood outside in front of the small cafe booth, waiting for my number to called. I often craved a bubble tea after stressful days, and today was no different. I had taken an extra hard exam that would determine if I could get into the special program that I always dreamed of being part of at the University. 

These days had even been worse. Baekhyun used to laugh and smile with me during writing class. Now, he was mostly expressionless. I tried to stop thinking about him since it already seemed impossible I was not the cause of his happiness.

At that moment, I looked to my right. Through the crowd, I barely was able to make out Baekhyun. He was holding hands with a blonde as they waited in line for the popular dim sum restaurant. 

He turned and saw me. Right before both of them entered the building, he waved at me with his signature smile, his eyes crinkling. The smile I used to dream about, and would cause my heart to flutter.

Now I felt nothing.

“Number eighty-nine!”

In a daze, I exchanged my call number for my drink. My bubble tea could have been water and I wouldn’t have noticed.

“He broke my heart,” I replied drily. “Not that he knows. By the time we had gotten close as friends, I had fallen for other people and was recovering from those wounds.”

She looked at me sympathetically. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m not.” I laughed at her confused expression. “I was lucky to have lost my obsession with him but still be friends. To know a talented person but not be trapped is a gift. However, attraction can be fleeting if you do not choose to give love a chance. Learn from my mistake and don’t wait.”

She still hesitate. “But-”

“Go!” I gave her a nudge. She stumbled, then walked away, reclaiming her confident strut that I had admired in the beginning of the meeting.

“There you are!” I turned to see Zhou Mi walking towards me. “I was hoping you would be here. Everyone was giving me directions to you everywhere around this place.”

I smiled. “I’m sorry. Your managers were giving me stuff to do since idols like you would attract too much attention to do the job yourself.”

“Ooh harsh still?” He laughed. “I heard you planned on giving up your invitation to sit at the EXO table. I was wondering if you wanted to sit at the Super Junior M table, we have some empty spaces.”

I scanned his face, wondering if he knew.

Zico cackled, collecting all the chips. “Jackpot! Girl, you have done me well, I won Jackpot!”

I sat back, crossing my arms. “I still don’t know what were the prizes for all the outcomes.”

“Nothing bad, my dear, nothing bad,” he said, giving a cocky grin. “Just a little of surprise…” he pulled out a silk tie. 

I raised an eyebrow. “Nothing bad?”

“Only your sight of vision will be obscured,” he reassured me. “You won’t be tied up and you can hear everything around me. If you ever feel like you’re in danger, you can take it off. Just humor us fellows.”

I sighed. “Fine.” In a second, I was blindfolded and guided into another room and sat upon a desk. I played with my fingers as I waited.

Suddenly they were soft footsteps. I turned towards the sound, and felt a warm breath on my face. For some reason, I knew this feeling…

Before those velvet lips landed on me, I knew.

Henry.

“Why are you staring at me like that?”

I blinked. “Nothing. Just remembering something.”

“So, will you join us?” He looked at me expectantly.