The Transfer Student

A New Friend?

                He had always been by himself; a skinny, dark-haired boy playing games alone on his phone. He never really seemed to care about the situation around him; he would simply shrug and continue with what he’s doing. Does he even know what’s going on? Karin didn’t care if he did or not, as long as he doesn’t find out that she has been watching him the whole time. But who is he, really? He is Kenma Kozume, Class 3B.

 

                The homeroom teacher, Mrs. Kuriyama, clapped her hands to get everyone’s attention. “We have a new transfer student today!”

                All but one pair of eyes turned to face the door as a thin girl with light brown hair walked into the classroom.

                “Hello, everyone, my name is Karin Fuyu. It’s nice to meet you!” The transfer student exclaimed.

                Everyone began welcoming her and asking her numerous questions. “I heard that she came all the way from England, is that true?!”

                Karin chuckled nervously as she walked through the swarm of people. She soon found a seat behind a boy who was scrolling through an app on his phone. Karin tapped the boy’s shoulder and tried to start a conversation with him. “What app are you using?”

                Without looking from his screen, the boy replied. “Game Buzz.”

                Before Karin could reply, a bunch of girls made their way to her desk.

                “Fuyu-san, my name is Shiro, and I’m the class’ representative!” The short girl exclaimed. She turned her head towards Kenma and said, “I see that you’ve already met Kozume Kenma.”

                Karin nodded.

                Shiro continued. “As the class’ representative, I’ll introduce Kozume to you. He’s the class’ gamer, but he can be a fine student.” Then, Shiro turned to Kenma. “As a fellow classmate, I would like you to show Karin around the school.”

                Kenma nodded. “How hard can it be?” He thought, but little does he know, Karin and him had already made an enemy.