Chapter One

Bidayatan Jadida (بداية جديدة) - New Beginnings

Bidayatan Jadida (بداية جديدة) –

New Beginnings – Chapter One

Paris, France.

 

The air in Paris was cool, hinting to the change that was beginning to take place in France. The trees lining Yamina Banu Salaym’s upscale neighborhood waved in pure joy to this fresh burst of new fall air. Once she is outside her Parisian apartment, she pauses for a moment to allow the wind to caress her face, tilting her face to the sun, letting its rays soak into her skin before placing the fanciful face mask over her nose. She hated that she had extreme sinus issues that didn’t allow her to smell the air like she really wanted to. Even though she wanted to give in to the impulse a little bit longer she knew that she could not, unless she wanted to sick like a dog in a matter of a day. Dressed in beautiful dark wash jeans that accentuated her full hips, strong thighs and long legs, a simple white V-neck t-shirt, and a thin rose gold embroidery jacket that was Asian inspired; With a pair of rose gold shades perched on the top of her head and dainty feminine jewelry lay against her neck and hung from her ears helped to complete Yamina’s OTD. Moreover, rose gold heels encased her feet complete the look. It was obvious that rose gold was the theme of the day. Yamina walked towards the taxi that lingered at the curb for her. Her heels clicking against the pavement as she moved.

            Climbing into the taxi, she looked into the driver’s eyes through the rearview mirror and said, “Take me to Hôtel Régina, please.”

            The taxi driver was an older man of Arabic descents and a quick glance at the driver’s credentials displayed on the dash confirmed it. Ali. A light smile crossed her lips. When she read the name, it conjured up the image of her eldest brother Ali. He was turning 35 next week. That reminded her she needed to package his birthday present, that was sitting in her home office, and get it shipped to Spain no later than tomorrow. But first, she had to get through this afternoon meeting.

Letting the back window down a fraction of the way, allowing the noise of Parisian traffic drift into the while the taxi driver expertly merged into and maneuvered through the dense afternoon traffic into the heart of Paris, Yamina allows herself to relax against the back seat. Her young spirit was so tired. The meeting she is attending as part of the climactic end to a recent soap opera life that involved her now her former management company. The disentanglement from her management company had taken all of nine months to resolves. The ordeal ultimately allowed Yamina to walk away from a career that she had begun at the age of 12. It was a hard decision to settle on as she was just beginning to reap the fruits of her 10+ years of labor. Yet, in order to save her very soul and her actual health she had to walk away from her Gravity 6 and L’Artist Management. When she had made the decision to cut ties with L’Artist she had anticipated unrepairable damage to her career and to her connections in the music entertainment business, and L’Artist had not let her down. She knew too much. The alternative choice of staying so she could keep her career and her positive reputation had not been worth the disrespect, abuse – both mental and at times physical - she had experience on a near day to day bases. It had finally pushed her over the edge. Yamina had fought for her life – her very existence. A fight that ironically has left her feeling hollow and empty.

She had lost her second family, her sisters. Her second family was shattered, and she had no idea if there was a way to repair any of the damage; or even if she should. To be honest, it wasn’t up to her to repair the brokenness of it all, but Yamina was just one of those unique people who went out of the way to love those around them and take on others’ pain sometimes at her detriment. Is this what it feels like to go through a divorce? She thought. It sure felt that way, except in this case it was among four best friends. As the co-leader of Gravity 6, it had been Honey Iona vs Yamina and they fought to the bitter end over it all: the group’s assets, royalties, and the “kids” Angel and Suga. She hoped this latest meeting with her lawyer would be the bookend for what had morphed into a sad chapter in her life.

Yamina felt the taxi driver sneaking looks at her as he drove but she paid it no mind. However, she did pull her shades down over her eyes effectively creating a barrier between them and turned and looked out the window passively watching the scenery pass her by. She didn’t really want to be rude, but she was too emotionally strung up in her emotions to talk the small talk or to even give a genuine smile. She hadn’t had much to smile about for a very long while. More than likely Ali had recognized who she was after all her face had once graced massive billboards around France, Spain, America and eventually all of Europe both east and west. It had been nothing to see her face on an advertisement as recent as four months ago in the tube either here in Paris or London for that matter. Her face and brand have sold millions of Gravity 6’s records; fashion magazines; drinks – she had even had her very own merlot collaboration with one of the most famous France vineyards - and clothes brands worldwide. The fashion house of Christian Dior had even cashed in on her power and collaborated with Yamina on a streetwear line that in a matter of hours had sold completely out.

A year ago, as a member of Gravity 6, she was on top of the world musically speaking and world domination was well in their grasp. However, in less than a year everything had changed. Now Yamina had no group, no record label, and no management company. Despite being free from the glittery cage that was the pop world she didn’t know where the hell she was going next. What she did know was she wanted to continue to make music.

“Madam?” Yamina snapped out of her thoughts and faced Ali the taxi driver. “We are here madam” By the tone of this voice it became clear that he had been attempting to get her attention that they had arrived the hotel.

“Pardon, I am sorry. What do I owe you?”

He quoted the rate, she quickly handed him the euros, thanking him with a small smile and exited the taxi. As the taxi pulled from the curb, Yamina straightened her jacket and quickly glanced at her watch, she had made it with ten minutes to spare. Perfect. Just as she cleared the door into the historic hotel, her phone rung. It was her production partner Jazz.

“Hello?” She answers as she maneuvers out of the flow of guests leaving and entering to answer her phone. Jazz knew she had an important meeting today, so for her to call now it had to be important that she couldn’t wait till this evening to talk about it.

“Babes?” the melodic Cambodian accented French voice greeted her ears. “why did you answer? Are you not at your meeting?”

“Girl, if you knew I have a meeting right now why did you call?”

“Because I love you and want to annoy you. Anyway, guess who wants to set up a meeting with US? You’ll never guess? Guess! Oh please guess!”

“You JUST said I would never guess. Who is it? Stop playing I have a meeting in five minutes.”

“C.P. Ngo.”

Yamina’s body stilled and she was quiet for a moment then said, “Wait…what., the C.P. Ngo, Co-CEO of DiVarsity Management? Are you kidding me?”

“Nope, he asked to meet us on Wednesday of this week. He is interested in signing both us to his company as music producers and you as an artist too. So, go meet with Mr. Mendez and let him know of this new development. I told you today would be an awesome day.”

“Oh, Okay. I’ll talk to you later.” Yamina stood in a daze for a few moments then shook herself and continued on her way to the restaurant housed in “The Regina” as Yamina liked to call the Hôtel Régina. Her heels clicked in a steady rhythm she continued on her mission. As she passed the check-in desk for hotel guests, she vaguely noticed the large group of Korean men and women that were checking in at the desk. Korean was being spoken among them and for a moment she thought she recognized a certain voice however she couldn’t place it. She stopped for a moment to take a look when someone accidentally bumped into her taking her attention away from the group. She apologized to the young women for being in the way, yet when she turned back to observe the Korean group, she realized that that had already moved on. Shrugging her shoulders, she continued on her way.

 

*****

 

Paris, France. Hôtel Régina

 

            The Bangtan Boys had been in France for all of two hours and it had already turned into a wild side show. The fans were a rabid here as they were back home in Korea. Jung Kook should have been used to the experience, but he was always overwhelmed and honored that BTS had such loyal fans, AKA Army.  They had greeted, RM, J-Hope, Suga, Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook at the airport to massive support and a crowd to match such enthusiasm. There had been massive crowds all over and around the airport. The unsuspecting airport personnel had never seen anything like it and for a while, it appeared as if France-Army was going to actually succeed in shutting down an international airport! Thankfully the boys had been able to safely exit the airport and there were no real incidents. However, this, of course, would make the international news cycle.

            Jungkook is excited to be back in Paris for another concert. As their plane had flown into Paris’s International Airport, the Charles de Gaulle Airport, he had watched as they flew over a city that is two thousand years old. Its organized boulevards and city organization was wondrous to see as they flew into Gaulle. After Big Hit's security team had safely secured BTS and its staff into a rented tour bus that awaited them they made their way to their hotel. As was standard protocol, the hotel location of where BTS was staying was top secret to protect the boys and their staff from some of their overzealous fans that might try to swarm their hotel. Even the band didn’t know where they were staying until the pulled up the hotel and saw the name, Hotel Regina. The grandiose hotel  stood at four-stories high and loomed over them as they pulled up to its doors. The hotel was located in the heart of Paris.

            As Jungkook exited the bus he was able to take a moment to look around him and noticed across the corner from the hotel was a large white Ferris wheel just in view and in the center of the road was a gold-gilded statue of a lady on a horse that later, Jungkook would later learn was the Statute of Joan of Arc. He couldn’t look around for long as his manager and various staff members urged him and his hyungs to enter the hotel to get checked in. And with expert efficacy, the staff of Hotel Regina had their luggage unpacked from the bus and at the check-in desk.

            Namjoon Hyung walked next to Jungkook on one side him and on the other side was Hoseok hyung. In front of them was the 95-line, Taehyung and Jimin, who were acting like cute fools as their excitement to be back in Paris was starting to show. Behind them were Yongi and Seokjin as they worked to fight against their jetlag but appeared to be losing their battles. They stood off  to the side a little as their management team checked them.  They stood around and talked amongst themselves for a moment.

            “Hyung, do you think that Bang-nim listened to my request to let us explore Paris for a bit,” Junkook asked Namjoon and Hoseok.

            “I would think so, I just looked up this hotel on the internet. This is a five-star hotel that is walking distance of the Louvre Museum and the Jardin des Tuileries. I would hope the hell so.” Answered Hoseok.

            “It’s unfortunate, that girl group Gravity 6 disbanded. Wasn’t that one requests you had asked of Bang-nim, to go to the concert they were planning to have like a day after ours?”

            Jungkook sighed, “Yep, I was really looking forward to watching Yamina, Honey, Angel, and Suga perform live”

            “I still think it’s weird that there is another artist, named Suga. Every time I hear her name, I want to think you are talking about Yongi.” Namjoon said as he fumbled with his phone. “And it seems odder still that is her legal birth name.”

            Jungkook smiled. He had thought so too but Western people sometimes took to naming their offspring weird names. At that moment, Jungkook heard the sound of heels clicking against the tiled floor, turning toward the sound he noticed a dark-skinned woman around his age dressed in dark wash jeans that accentuated a pair of legs that seemed to go on for miles although she couldn’t have been more than five feet and eight inches. From the way her hips curved he instinctive knew that she had a gorgeous to go with them. She wore a simple white V-neck t-shirt, and a thin rose gold embroidery jacket that looked Asian. Completing the look was a pair of rose gold shades that covered her eyes. Her hair full of tight coils was corralled into a fashionable messy bun. Her lips were a muted shade of red that complemented the glow of her vibrant dark skin. All Jungkook could think was damn she was fine. Then it struck him, she looked familiar, then his eyes widened in realization, she looked like Yamina Banu Salaym, the former lead lyricist of Gravity 6.

            “Why do you look like you have seen a ghost?” Namjoon asked as he poked Jungkook in the shoulder just as the woman passed them looking straight ahead, her light amber perfume wafting around them. At the moment Namjoon realized where Jungkook was looking, or rather who he was looking at. Without a thought, he tapped Hoseok in the chest to get his attention as well, “Damn, who is she?” Namjoon asked just as fazed as Jungkook looked.

            “I may be crazy, but I think that was Yamina Banu Salaym,” Jungkook said.

            “No way!” Hoseok and Namjoon exclaimed.

            At that moment as if she had heard them, she stopped and turned around.

            “Oh, , I think she heard us. Act natural.” Namjoon said as he turned away. And whenever someone said act natural you end up acting anything but natural. The only thing that saved them was at that same moment someone bumped into the woman grabbing her attention and at the same time, their staff came to get them to take them and their luggage to their rooms. When they turned to glance behind them as they walked all they saw was her backside as she walked away.

            “That is a beautiful view right there.” Hoseok chimed in as they entered the lift. All Namjoon and Jungkook could do were just nod in agreement.

 

 

****

 

            “Alberto, I made it! I didn’t think I was going to get here on time.” Yamina said ins Spanish as she approached the table. Alberto Mendez, her attorney, stood to greet her and when she got closer, they greeted each other with kisses on both cheeks as was their Spanish custom.

            “No worries, I charge by the hour.” He teased, sort of.

            “Why do you think I was worried.” Yamina smiled back. They both sat in their chairs, Yamina placing her purse down by her feet.

            Alberto Mendez was her Spanish born and bred entertainment attorney that worked in both Span and in France. He was considered one of the best entertainment attorneys in western Europe and Yamina had been relieved that she was able to have him on her retainer beginning the year before. He had been step one in her transition to the next chapter in her life.

            “You look stunning today. As usual, you have no idea of the effect you have just walking through a room does to the male population in your presence, do you?”

            Removing her glasses and placing them on the table next to her empty wine glass she smirked at Alberto. “That may be the case but it’s not what I live for. At least not in regard to the general population.”

            “Ah, then Jerome is a very lucky man.” Alberto was referencing Jerome Martinez, the son of French actor Vincent Martinez who is the brother of the French actor Olivier Martinez who currently worked in Hollywood. Jerome Martinez was had currently been dating Yamina for almost two years.

            “I would like to think I am his blessing, but I will let you use the word lucky.” At the moment the waitress came to their table and took their drink order and gave them time to order.

            “It is now final. Here are the papers signed by L’Artist releasing you from their contract with the requested non-disclosure papers.” Alberto paused for a moment and looked at her. “May I go on record and say I think you need to not sign the ND agreement.”

            “You may. And I understand your concerns, but I have to think of Angel and Suga, not just myself. Me signing this agreement protects them and to a lesser extent Honey as well”

            “Your loyalty towards them in admirable if foolhardy.”

            “I know you don’t understand my reasons for my actions in regard to my former groupmates, but they were not the perpetrators of what happened to me at L’Artist.”

            “That may be but they participated in it at various levels. But I will let this go for now. Just don’t sign the ND until you take time to look over it and really think about all your options.”

            “Understood, noted and taken into advisement. In other news, Jazz called me just a few moments ago. C.P. Ngo contacted her about becoming our new representation.”

            Alberto smiled. “I know I was the one who contacted him about both you and Jazz.”

            Yamina almost choked on her wine, “Are you serious?”

            “Deadly. I have set up a meeting with him and his business partner for the following day after you and Jazz’s show. Actually, they may come to the show to see both of you perform. Are you interested?”

            “Yea, I didn’t think anyone would touch me after Francoise blacklisted me.” Franchoise is the CEO of L'Artist.

            “Well, let’s say C.P. Isn’t afraid of Francoise or anyone else for that matter. Chere, it’s time to start dreaming again.

           

 

****

            “Kookie!”

            Jungkook sat up on his bed as his manager, Ki-tae-nim, entered the room he shared with Namjoon and Jimin.  At the moment all seven of the group members were in the room.

            “Ye, Ki-tae-nim”

            “I think you will be happy. Bang-shi was able to arrange an outing for you with two extra tickets for any of the other guys who may want to go.”

            “Curious, why only three tickets when there are seven of us?”

            “We were able to buy the last five tickets. Which two will be for two of our security team leaving three with one being for Kookie, definitely.”

            Ki-Tae handed the envelopes with the three remaining tickets too Jungkook with a smile and left the guys to hang together. Before he left he said, “just let me know who is going with Kookie to the show.”

            After Ki-Tae-nim left Jungkook opened the envelope and pulled out the tickets. His eyes widened when he saw what the tickets were for.

            “What it’s for Kookie?” Namjoon asked looking over his shoulder as he sat next to him.

            “It’s tickets to an underground show here in Paris tomorrow night and Yamina Banu Salaym is a feature with Jasmine Merlohe!”

            Hoseok and Namjoon each grabbed a ticket out of his hands. Looking at the picture of Yamina and Jasmine aka Jazz, Hoseok said, “That HAD to be her we saw in the lobby. I am definitely going.”

            The guys laughed at Hoseok’s enthusiasm.

            “Looks like we know who is going with Kookie,” Yongi said with mirth.

            “Nam? Why don’t you take the other ticket? It’s a hip-hop show, and you still listen to Yamina’s solo mini album she put out three years ago at least once a month.” Jimin suggested as he hung off Jin like a monkey as Jin tried not to get aggravated.

            “Sure, if no one else wants to go.” When there was no objection Namjoon kept the last ticket. It looked like Hoseok, Jungkook and his self was going to make a night out in Paris. Namjoon looked at the picture of Yamina again and felt his stomach fill with butterflies as he took in her smile.