Ideolipsia

Miss Killer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
[CONTENTID1] miss killer [/CONTENTID1] [CONTENTID2]Where Jongin is your typical policeman and Hayoung is a typical girl that wants to be noticed in a not so typical love story. [/CONTENTID2] [CONTENTID3] Chapter 1 [/CONTENTID3] [CONTENTID4] Ideolipsia [/CONTENTID4] [CONTENTID5] He was sitting on the cozy chaise longue, aware but indifferent to the pair of eyes that were staring at him while he read his favorite author’s book. Jongin had most possibly memorized every line in Edgar Allan Poe’s ‘Thou Art The Man’ but that didn’t impede him from plunging himself into the elite writing. Hayoung was just noiselessly sitting athwart the couch not wanting to disturb the young man from his reading.

Hayoung and Jongin lived next doors to each other since the age of 5 when Hayoung’s parents resolved that it would be better to nurture their child in Seoul rather than in the treacherous and liberal American homes. 

Jongin's mother thought it was an excellent occurance because finally, someone could play with his introverted son. Jongin, contrasting the other 5 year olds, was never keen to play with other kids or go out for a bicycle ride around the neighborhood. He enjoyed watching crime movies that his parents thought was not good at that time because Jongi was just a kid and he shouldn’t be seeing too violent scenes but that didn’t stop Jongin. If he liked it, you could never prevent him anyway. He didn’t like toy guns; he preferred model guns that resembled the weight and physical appearance just like a real one. He liked to crack puzzles and the foremost book collection he ever read was Sherlock Holmes. He finished all the books written by Arthur Conan Doyle at the age of five. He was not a normal kid. He liked things that mostly, no kids of same age liked and that charmed Hayoung. She always liked intelligent men. But Jongin was not just intelligent, he’s a genius. A real one.

Toward the years, Hayoung was so sure that she’s been falling in love with Jongin and maybe she already did. Somewhere in between watching Jongin dive into his thoughts and come up with eccentric yet amazing ideas, Hayoung fell in love. Sh learned a lot of Jongin’s antics and accepted them wholeheartedly.

Although unconditionally, she loves Jongin, Jongin never took notice of her. Jongin lived in his own world that not even his parents could breakthrough; much more Hayoung. Hayoung acted clingy and needy most of the time to get the man’s attention but to no avail. Jongin’s more in interested with book characters and deciphering codes. He was an impassive man except when it came with intriguing crimes.

With the reasons given, Hayoung started hating Jongin’s obsession. She hated all the detective book authors, she hated crime movies, she hated the criminals not because they’re horrendous but because Jongin found them more interesting than she and she hated the victims. Most of all, she hated it when Jongin took Criminology course in college.

“Jongin, you’ve read that literally a million times over! C’mon! I want to watch the new movie Fault In Our Stars.” Hayoung whined as she flailed her arms exasperatedly.

It took Jongin two minutes of silence before he answered just to shut Hayoung’s irritated groans. “I’ll watch it when I’m interested Hayoung which I’ll probably not be.” Hayoung puffed her crimson cheeks and went over to Jongin’s couch. She pulled the book off from his hands and threw it on the corner of the living room just beside the TV set.

“Seriously. You are so childish.  I’m not done reading yet.” Jongin shot Hayoung a glare to which Hayoung just shook her head to.

“You’ve read that book enough. Just accompany me to the theaters. Please! We don’t know when a man in a black suit would suddenly try to jump on me and murder me.” She remarked and Jongin just rolled his eyes.

“Hayoung that’s impossible.” Jongin sighed but he stood up to grab his jacket indicating that he would indeed accompany a whiny Hayoung to watch a movie he didn’t like the title of. A small yet victorious smile grazed Hayoung’s lips and she hooked her arms through Jongin’s.

The movie ended with a bored-to-death Jongin and a sobbing Hayoung. This was why Jongin hated watching movies with Hayoung. “Geez. Stop crying already.”

“Shut up apathetic human being. I cry when I want to.” Hayoung answered. Jongin rolled his eyes but simply reached over to wipe Hayoung’s tears off her face. Moments like this, Hayoung indulged. It wasn’t rare for Jongin to play the gentleman’s role but Hayoung still found them not so common. Not as common as her dreams about Jongin.

As they were walking to the busy streets of Seoul, Hayoung couldn’t help but ask, “Jongin, what do you like in girls? I mean, like as in like like and not just like… you know what I mean you egotistical genius.”

Jongin raised a skeptical eyebrow at Hayoung because that was a question he didn’t expect the other to ever ask. With his hands buried in his front pockets, he hummed, “Rather than saying what I like which I am not sure myself either, I’d rather just tell you what I don’t like.” Jongin his lips in one swift moment before he continued, “I don’t like boring girls. Girls that have plain personalities are not my type either. Interest plays a massive fraction in attraction. If the girl’s no different when she’s awake or asleep, expect me never to take notice of her.”

This struck a chord in Hayoung’s heart. She’s a plain-Jane. Everything that Jongin just described pertained to her. That’s what she thought. She wanted to apologize to Jongin for being such a boring girl but she stopped herself from doing such a pathetic act. Instead, she would change. Maybe, if she’s interesting enough, Jongin would like her too. Or if the odds are in her favor, maybe Jongin will love her back as well. The thought made her smile.

And so she asked again, “So what’s appealing and dull for you?”

“You see Hayoung, that’s where the fun is.” Jongin flashed his infamous smirk. “Interesting can be exceedingly tricky to label much further to provide an instance of. I suppose, if I absolutely require enlightening you what’s interesting for me; interesting is that something or someone that makes me want to ask questions and know more about.”

Hayoung sighed. She only honestly understood half of what Jongin said. But her mind worried more because Jongin never ask questions. He had always found the answers himself. If he was given a complicated code to decipher, he wouldn't  ask anyone for hints or help even if it took the man one month of brain squeezing; he’ll do it all on his own. If there was a question in his mind, he would search for the answer himself. Hayoung learned that through all her observations.

Okay, that’s number one, she mentally noted. She must make Jongin ask questions and she should make Jongin want to know more. That was grueling but she’s more than eager to try and bet against all odds.

She hummed before she spoke again, “Sherlock is a detective who is mere days away from cracking an international ring that has gone missing. While inspecting, he saw a note: 710 57735 34 5508 51 7718. Currently, the suspects are Bill, John and Todd. Who’s the criminal?”

Jongin could only chuckle before he looked at Hayoung. “You are so humorous.”

“Just answer it whiz kid.” Hayoung taunted.

“It’s obviously Bill.” Jongin answered. “And you, you obviously stole that from the internet.” He added as he started to laugh.

Hayoung felt her cheeks burn but she just huffed. She wanted to ignore Jongin now because she knows where this is going to head. Teasing. The never ending teasing of Kim ing Jongin.

“That was from an asinine internet website Hayoung. I inadvertently clicked an advertisement of that website perhaps years before and …” Jongin trailed off in laughter and Hayoung kicked him at the shin. “Shut up you narcissistic bastard!” She walked off, not wanting to let Jongin see her smile. She was smiling because even though she’s been humiliated, Jongin laughed and that was enough.

Jongin’s on duty at the station today. He’s been promoted to chief inspector just two weeks ago at the age of 23. Youngest in the whole of Korean history but when you have 216 IQ rate, it’s more than possible. Jongin finished his high school at the age of nine and was advised to take a couple of years off to wait until his physical body matched up with his intellect. He didn’t stop learning though, he was off at school but he learned more than what anyone could learn in the four corners of the classroom. At the age of eighteen, he finished his criminology course with a master’s degree.

He was basically better than all the other policemen’s brains combined together. The only reason he wasn’t dubbed as a weirdo was because along with his brain and unbelievably high IQ, he had the handsome and breathtaking looks. He was perfect but no, he had one hamartia. He didn’t know anything about emotions. He could read books about love, understand every word written but never comprehend the feelings on it. He could watch movies that made Hayoung explode into sobs but Jongin would be there sitting, and feel nothing.

He was filled with all the intelligence yet he was empty. Except when he read crime and detective books. That was one of the reasons why he adored them, it made him feel unempty. Jongin would like to point out that unempty is not a word.

While Jongin’s on duty, busy reading stacks of documents after another, Hayoung was at her house, sitting on her bed, planning something she had been trying to perfect since the day they watched the movie together. She smiled contentedly because her hardwork and sleepless nights started paying off. The plan’s being more sensible after more thinking and brainstorming and maybe it would work. Maybe, it will make Jongin ask questions and want to know more about.

It has been a year, Jongin’s 24 already and the new Superintendent while Hayoung’s 23 and still in her senior year of college.

Jongin is handling a huge case right now. He didn’t even celebrated his birthday yesterday because he was too busy looking at the possible occurrences.

There was a huge bomb that was set off exactly three days ago. People thought it was a simple explosion from the LPG tank which was leaking but Jongin saw through the well planned mass murder. He saw how the tube of the LPG tank was perfectly slashed by a 12-inch knife. Possibly by someone that planned it a long time ago because the movements were so precise, he had to double check everything just to get a few hints.

They decided to place surveillance cameras on the once dance studio which is now a ruin of debris and ashes and burnt bodies of young aspiring dancers.

“Can I visit the crime scene with you Jongin?” Hayoung asked and Jongin grunted. “No Hayoung. You don’t know the basics and you might ruin possible evidences.”

Hayoung didn’t push the subject any further and Jongin left after just changing clothes.

When Jongin arrived at the crime scenes, a young police officer of the name Kyungsoo approached him. “Sir, we found this paper just beside the building. It maybe be placed purposely before the explosion three days ago but we missed it. Here, Sir.” He handed Jongin a piece of paper and Jongin smirked after reading what was written.

“Riddle riddle on the wall, who’s the killer of them all?” He read it again, aloud this time. He chuckled before looking back at Kyungsoo, obviously amused by the sudden turn of events. The killer is taunting the police force, Jongin thought. Then again, the killer wasn’t just mocking the police, the killer was mocking Jongin. And Jongin doesn’t like being tested. “This was situated after the incident Kyungsoo. I have inspected or rather, scrutinized the vicinity meticulously and I didn’t perceive this piece of paper earlier. So from that we can discern that this paper found its way here between the hours we all left yesterday night and by the time we arrived here. So calculating, it’s from 10:30 last night until 7 am today. That’s the possible times. Also, try to have a good look at this small piece of paper. If it was, as you and the others thought, indeed placed here before the explosion, then don’t you think it should have suffered more than its state now? The paper is seemingly new and undamaged. It’s not a piece of paper that suffered an explosion.” Jongin stated his argument. Kyungsoo and the others just nodded.

“Also, narrow the suspects' criterion into a woman.” He added. That confused the other policemen and detectives.

Kyungsoo was brave enough to question the superintendent’s command. “What gives you the sureness that it’s a woman Sir?” Kyungsoo sighed and was thankful that his voice didn’t waver.

“You see Kyungsoo, you’re smart but you don’t pay attention to the important details. It’s obvious. The answer, I mean.” Jongin shrugged his shoulders and decided it’s better to explain.

“If you glance at the paper, it’s plain white. That would get you nowhere. But if you use your other senses apart from your sight, you’ll unearth more essential facts. The scent, my dear subordinate. It’s a woman’s fragrance. Don’t tell me that it could’ve been sprayed on the paper deliberately with the intention of confusing us police, because it wasn’t. If it was misted on purpose, the aroma would’ve been stronger than it is. There should also be an evidence of it being lightly damp. The signs that it was sprayed with intent weren’t present. So concluding from that, we can presuppose more than safely that the fragrance affixed on the paper when it was still in the hands of the slaughterer or maybe in the mass murder’s bag or maybe on her pocket. But that doesn’t matter, what matters is we now know that the killer is a woman. One more important note, this is the scent of Voyage d’Hermes, the signature scent of the famous Vera Wang. She only re-produced 250 bottles of the fragrance. It’s exceptionally limited and only women are permitted to purchase that meticulous body mist. So now, our suspects are narrowed to 250 women that brought the perfume.” Kai had the face of that-was-so-obvious-how-could-you-not-know-it. Kyungsoo was taken aback. That was probably the craziest deciphering ability he’s ever seen in his entire life. He actually thought that those incidences only happen in movies and novels but damn, the man sure is a genius.

“Now now, let’s stop wasting our important time and by the end of the week, precisely on Fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter