Let The Game Begin

For The Love of Chess

Today was a beautiful day. I had beautiful plans like walking along the waterfront and going window-shopping and eating strawberry frozen yogurt with mangos in the sun. But no. Just no. My friend invited me to watch chess with her. She’s currently trying to get better. So watching old men play speed chess is going to get her somewhere. Right.

 

“I don’t wan to be here!” At this point I’m bored and losing every ounce of patience. Wait. I don’t have time for patience.

“Oh come ________. It’s not that bad. Look at how fast they move! Damn!”

“ I noticed. It makes my stomach churn with excitement.” I swear I was born from sacasm.

“ Real funny _______. You’ll learn to play it one day and then you would want to get better. You’ll see.”

“Psh. Yeah right. Hey how about I go to Starbucks and get something for the both of us?”

“Get me a Chai Latte! Medium! Thank you!”

 

Sweet Jesus chess is boring! There is no reasonable explanation as to why anyone of those guys should be that freakin’ good!

 

“Next!” I walked up to the countered and ordered.

“I would like a medium Chai Latte and a large Green Tea Frapp please.”

“Sure thing. Name?”

“_______”

“Alright. Your drinks will be ready in a minute”

 

As I was waiting for the drinks, I heard Ed Sheeran’ Sing. God how I love that song. I was too busy to hear my name being called or to notice the highly attractive guy handing me my drinks.

 

“Excuse, but are you _______ by chance?”

“Yeah, that’s me. Are those mine? “

“They are. I noticed you were a little preoccupied so I thought I’d bring them to you.”

 

He is such a handsome gentlemen who so happens to be a stranger that knows my name.

 

“I take it you were behind me in line and heard my name.”

“Yeah. Sorry If I am creeping you out for that. My name is Kim Hyun Joong.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you Hyun-Joong. I should be getting back to my friend. She’s over there watching old men play chess”

“Oh really? May I tag along? I love chess!”

 

Oh dear. How do I explain to my friend that a fine Asian man has tagged along with me so he cam play chess? Well I guess I can say that. He finally got his drink and we headed over to watch chess.

 

“Hey (F/N). Sorry it took so long. The line was long, but I made a new friend.”

“Hello. My name is Hyun Joong. _______ was kind enough to let me join you two in watching chess.”

“Well then let the games begin!” I don’t like the way she was eyeing me. You know that look your friend gives you because she wants to say something but can’t because the thing she wants to say can’t be said in front of the person she wants to tease you about. That look.

 

After a couple of games, he decided to play one of the games. This was (F/N) to say those things she wanted to say.

 

“So he’s cute.”

“Yeah. Yeah he is.”

“I think he might like you”
“What? No! We literally just met! I mean yeah we said a few words here and there but enough for to go lovely dovey with me!”

“I see the way he looks at you when you two do talk. He’s gives all his undivided attention to you as if you are the only thing that maters.  The way he had slowly got closer to you, but of course you were to into what you were saying you didn’t notice. In fact he’s looking at you right now.”

I look in his direction and they he is. Looking right at me. His expression, so soft. His eyes so focused on my every movement as if as if his life depended on it. I take he lost because he was now heading back to me.

“Looks like I lost.” His once friendly voice was now a thick husky tone and his eyes now staring straight into mine rendering me speechless. I had to say something.

 

“ So the queen is pretty important and stuff. Why is that?” Smooth ________. So smooth.

“Well the queen is the only piece on the board during a chess game that represents a woman, and she is the most powerful piece of the game. In the game of chess, there is only one queen for each side. Many people do not realize that queens in medieval times often held a powerful, yet precarious, position. The king was often guided by her advice, and in many cases the queen played games of intrigue at court. But kings could set wives aside or even imprison them in nunneries with the approval of the church (and without the queen’s approval), and many women schemed merely to hold her place at court. The machinations of queens working either for or against their kings are well noted in history throughout medieval times, and often she held more power than the king did. Of course I’m not sure if that’s the reason. I kind of read it somewhere online.”

 

He was yet again closer to me, looking me in my eyes. He then leaned in to whisper in my ear.

 

“True love is like playing chess. The king is always afraid of losing his queen and the queen risking everything just to protect her king. I’ll be you king if you be my queen. Queens inspire kings.”

 

Needless to say I became a queen that day.