Her

Stillness of Night

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." The taunting scold broke the eerie silence of the night. He knew it was her.

 

"I warned you not to come. Now you have put me in quite the predicament."

 

He turned despite his instincts telling him to run. To run away and never come back. Still, her stunning darkness was alluring, pulling him in with the composed half-smile on her face and eyes that shimmered with black light. So familiar yet so different. Whether this version of her or the one he first fell in love with, his heart still belonged to her only.

 

"After I tried so hard to help you even while I was being...reborn, you still are willing to risk your life," a dramatic sigh left her supple lips and returned to mocking smirk, "Who knows what kind of monsters are hiding in the shadows."

 

The cruel joke that she would have never normally made had him shuddering. He was trembling in awe of the intimidation she aroused like the perfect predator.

 

"I know you're still in there. I haven't completely lost you. You still love me." Despite the shivers that were running throughout his whole being, he was able to say those words with poise.

 

"Of course I still love you. I'm changed, I haven't lost my memories." Her giggle was haunting, filling up our empty surroundings.

 

"If you still love me, then you can fight it. You can become pure again. I can help you." He claimed confidently, willing to do whatever it takes.

 

"How would I know if you still love me? I know you're scared, you quite have reason to. If you really love me, you will trust me, right?" She made one slow step after another making his adrenaline rush, attempting to push him backward, but he willed his feet to stay planted in place with a nervous swallow.

 

"I trust you." He was starting to lose control of the forced steadiness in his voice.

 

"Then come to me. Hold me. Take my hand." Her delicate fingers with menacing pointed tips beckoned to him. He was stricken with absolute fear, but moved forward. Reaching out, his fingers grazed her chilled palm until their hands intertwined. It took him everything to pull her into his embrace, however, once he had her there, it felt as if nothing was wrong. Not a sound was made as he held her, putting a physical to his relentless feelings.

 

She began to laugh, shoulders shaking and he quickly unlatched himself.

 

"I can't believe you really just did that, really." She amusedly chortled then all-seriousness overtook it. "I can hear the blood rushing through your veins." The disturbing line dashed what fire he had within him.

 

"Sorry, big boy, but maybe I don't want to be pure. Maybe I like being defiled." This was not the girl that loathed the very monster she became; the one that vowed never to take after their sinister nature. The glint her empty eyes was the warning.

 

"This is the end for you. Too bad, but don't worry, you won't be put to waste." The bewitching smirk returned and he stumbled back as she crept toward him.

 

Finally the flight response took over and he sped away as fast as his wobbly legs would allow.

 

She let him run at top speed until it seemed like he had gotten away but she was inhumanly faster. In a fraction of the time it took him to get there, she appeared, lunging at him. He tumbled from the force, scratches forming on his arms and face as red began to dribble out of his nose which had been broken on impact.

 

Her strength that sent him flying was just as good as free falling from five stories in the sky and stole all the air in his lungs. He tried to pick himself up but he was injured in other places as well. In a mix of numbness and pain, he pulled himself across the gritty pavement even though he knew it was no use.

 

His slim progress was abruptly put to an end when a weight was dropped onto his back. Too weak to resist, he was rolled by her foot so that he could see the daunting pale moon above. The front of his shirt was gripped with one hand as she effortlessly pulled him up. He heaved agonizing breaths and stared at her boldly.

 

"No matter who you are or what you've become, my heart will always belong to you." His vain-filled words burned his dry throat.

 

She leaned forward, hot breath on his exposed skin.

 

As teeth sunk in, an anguished cry ripped out; the only thing to disturb the dead silence of the beasts' hunting ground.