Good things come to Those Who Wait

Patience is a Virtue

Patience is a Virtue.

 

There’s a thin line between patience and waiting for something elusive.

 

 

 

 

They’ve only just begun dating for about 5 months, when Jongin asked Kyungsoo out one day after having shared years of friendship with him and at the same time standing by the sidelines waiting to be noticed. Kyungsoo said yes, but Jongin couldn’t help but notice the lack of sparkle in his eyes.

Kyungsoo is a fairly decent lover however; they have great whenever Kyungsoo comes over for ‘a movie’ wherein fact they just end up ing halfway through, having no further use for the movie whatsoever. Kyungsoo is a great cook, and he has a wonderful voice that puts Jongin’s fears and insecurities away whenever he hears the other sing. Jongin appreaciates Kyungsoo’s efforts of returning his overwhelming amount of skin ship, how he holds Jongin’s hand just as tight, kisses him just as hard and smiles at him just as bright.

But Kyungsoo’s smiles directed to Jongin pales in comparison to the sparkling laughter he showers Chanyeol with.

 

 

 

Jongin, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are high school buddies who went their own ways during college. They lost complete contact with each other but somewhere along the way, Jongin found his way back to Kyungsoo and finally had the balls to ask him out instead of just admiring from afar (like what he used to do when they were still in high school).

But the thing is, Jongin’s always known of Kyungsoo’s very obvious crush on their freakishly tall friend. Everything Kyungsoo does is extra heartfelt and special when it’s for Chanyeol.  Chanyeol however, stood oblivious to Kyungsoo’s feelings until they graduated and eventually drifted apart; nothing happened and Jongin thought Kyungsoo had moved on when he agreed to date him.

Jongin hung on to that thin thread of hope that Kyungsoo doesn’t have feelings for Chanyeol anymore, and that he’s filled up that space in his heart now. He feels bad every single day wishing that Chanyeol and Kyungsoo would never cross paths again, selfish but yes, he regrets nothing. After all he’s a patient man, not a selfless one.

He thought that his relationship with Kyungsoo was stable except for the fact that the latter never admitted his feelings for him out loud, not even once. But this does not bother him; he would just wait for the day Kyungsoo would say it to him wholeheartedly, with his eyes sparkling and full of love. And when that day happens, he would genuinely be the happiest man alive.

 

--

 

 

Fate isn’t the kindest of the heavenly powers and he brought them Chanyeol in the form of the barista in the newly opened coffee shop across Kyungsoo’s apartment.

Kyungsoo’s grin was threatening to split his face in half with how wide he was smiling. Jongin was surprised to see his friend and was genuinely happy to see him—up until his boyfriend ran up to him to hug him tight as if they were the couple and he was the third wheel. His smile was tight compared to Kyungsoo’s bright one, and Chanyeol still looked as handsome as he did during highschool, maybe even more.

They chatted up and caught up with each other up until the café closed, and they even walked home together.

Not once was the news of him and Kyungsoo dating brought up in their conversation.

 

Soon enough Chanyeol was a constant in their dates, and he felt more and more distant from Kyungsoo than he was before. He felt like he was intruding when he made the mistake of turning his head and catching a glimpse of Kyungsoo and Chanyeol smiling sweetly at each other. Though Kyungsoo’s right hand is laced with his left, Kyungsoo’s left hand is also around Chanyeol’s right, and dare he might say the grip over there is tighter than his. Even if Kyungsoo’s hand is warm loosely curled around his, he’s never felt so cold in his life.

 

 

 

 

It’s month 6 of dating Kyungsoo and his lover isn’t picking up his phone, so he decides to just take a walk to his apartment to take him out to dinner personally. They usually hangout in Jongin’s apartment but Kyungsoo’s place is equally as nice. He’s been there before but only about three to five times. He doesn’t know the pass code to his boyfriend’s apartment so he just rings the doorbell as he stands in wait outside, bundled up under layers of clothing, trying to keep himself warm as the temperature in the building makes his breath turn into fog as soon as he exhales.

What turns his insides into ice however is the sight that greeted him when the door opened. Chanyeol peaked his head out of the door and blinked a couple of times, his hair standing up on all ends as if he just got out of someone trying to yank his hair off. He smiled brightly at Jongin once he’s spotted him and widened the entrance of the door to let him in. Chanyeol was shirtless, and there was a purpling bruise on his collarbone.

Immediately, Jongin’s actions became robotic. He took a step back, turned around, and dashed towards the building’s exit. Chanyeol was perplexed as to why Jongin bolted out on him. He was still standing in the doorway when Kyungsoo waddled up behind him and wrapped his arms around his waist.

“Yeollie, who was that?” Kyungsoo said as he nuzzled his nose against Chanyeol’s arm. He felt him shrug.

“It was just Jongin. He acted weird when he saw me though; he looked like he saw a ghost.” Immediately, Kyungsoo froze. His whole body stood rigid as he processed what Chanyeol just said.

“, Jongin!” Kyungsoo immediately disentangled himself from the taller and ran straight back to his room to get dressed. He glanced at the calendar pinned on his wall and saw that today was the 13th, his and Jongin’s 5th month.

“, , !” Kyungsoo was cursing as he slipped the sleeves of his shirt on, fumbling with his belt as he yanked his pants up.

“What’s wrong, Soo?” Chanyeol looked genuinely worried as he watched Kyungsoo get dressed messily.

“I’m sorry Chanyeol, but I have to be somewhere else right now. Lock up when you leave please,” and with that said he took off and left said boy alone in his apartment.

 

 

Kyungsoo was running out of breath when he finally reached Jongin’s apartment door.

“Jongin! Jongin open up!” He pounded on the door with heavy fists once, twice as he evened his breathing, voice hoarse as he shouted for Jongin to open up once more.

“Jongin, open up, please! It’s not what it looks like!”

Kyungsoo’s heart dropped on his stomach when the door opened and revealed a puffy red-eyed Jongin with his shirt stained with what looked like tear tracks and snot.

Kyungsoo wasted no time and hugged the male in front of him. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry I forgot, I’m sorry,”

Jongin made no move to respond but his tears continued falling as Kyungsoo hugged him tight.

 

Needless to say everything was resolved after they had a talk inside his apartment; Kyungsoo comforting and apologizing to Jongin at the same time, and Jongin giving him a second chance.

Kyungsoo promised to never do it again.

 

 

 

 

But promises are bound to be broken.

 

And so it happened again. And again. And again.

 

And Jongin forgives him every single time because he loves him that much. Jongin isn’t blind to what Kyungsoo is doing. He knows Kyungsoo is cheating on him with Chanyeol and they end up on bed every so often, hence the reason why Kyungsoo rarely lets Jongin into his apartment. Kyungsoo always apologizes, saying Jongin is where he really belongs, and that Chanyeol is just some petty high school crush of his and means absolutely nothing to him. But it’s all pretty hard to believe when Jongin hears his boyfriend’s moans of pleasure from outside the door of his apartment every time he tries to visit. Jongin just lets his tears fall whenever this happens because really, what can he do? All he wants is Kyungsoo right beside him, and he is willing to wait until the person he loves most loves him back and stays with him for good.

 

 

 

--

 

It’s a Saturday evening and Kyungsoo and Jongin are both sprawled on top of Jongin’s leather sofa, cuddling and watching some soap opera they don’t really care about. Jongin’s pressing kisses on Kyungsoo’s temple down to his cheeks, and Kyungsoo is leaning to the touch unconsciously, sighing happily as he basks in his boyfriend’s undivided attention. The comfortable atmosphere is broken however by his phone ringing. He sits up and fishes it out of his pocket, automatically biting his lip when the screen flashes the caller id.

Jongin stops his kisses and stiffens behind him, the hands around his waist tightening on their own accord. Jongin’s voice is monotonous as he spoke, “Its Chanyeol, isn’t it.” It’s not even a question anymore. It’s a given that if anyone ever calls Kyungsoo whenever he’s with Jongin, it’s Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo nods and stares at his phone for a second before moving to pocket it back. What surprises him, is Jongin’s hand on his wrist, firm and steady. “Answer it. Just be back before midnight.”

And with that he’s basically given permission to cheat.

 

 

Kyungsoo knows what he’s doing to Jongin is unfair, but he just can’t let go of either of them just yet. Kyungsoo doesn’t want to let go of Chanyeol, the only person he’s pinned on for the majority of his high school life, and now that he’s back in his life, he’s planning on keeping him. On the other hand, he also cannot let Jongin go, just because. He doesn’t know why, but he just wants to keep him for himself. Kyungsoo has always been a selfish person, so its only natural that he would want both of them for himself.

 

 

 

Chanyeol’s voice is cheery on the other line. “Hey Soo! Where are you? I’m right outside your apartment.”

“I’m on my way Chanyeol, wait for me okay?” He bites his lip as he ends the call and briskly walks back to his apartment, forgetting all about other broken hearts and lonely boyfriends.

 

Kyungsoo’s never told Chanyeol about him and Jongin, hence the former thinks he’s single and is always around him, visiting his apartment right after work. They don’t have a label for what they are per se, but they like each other’s company and they both have every now and then. Chanyeols’ never confessed to him, but since that time that they slept with each other it just kept on happening because it was just so good that they couldn’t get enough of each other.

Kyungsoo’s heart skips a beat whenever he’s with Chanyeol, and he couldn’t be happier with his heart beating enthusiastically with every look he shares with him.

Kyungsoo notices, however, that lately Jongin’s been having the same effect on him; but he doesn’t want to mind it that much. He just blames the palpitations on the greasy takeout food both him and Jongin love to eat whenever they go out on dates. Those potato snack disguised cholesterol monsters were always bad for the heart anyway. (He doesn’t mention that when Jongin smiles at him with love-filled eyes, he still blames the fries he ate two-weeks back as the cause of his quickening heartbeat.)

 

 

Jongin’s left alone in the cold confines of his room, and he just presses the heel of his palms over his eyes and weeps the night away, waiting for Kyungsoo to come back home to him because that’s what he’s always been, patient.

He’s just happy that Kyungsoo never even mentioned breaking up with him, because then he might not know what to do, or how to live again for that matter; because in the span of the first 5 blissful months of having Kyungsoo in his life, he’s never felt so alive.

 

 

Kyungsoo arrives a little past 1 am and he’s giggling as he opens the door to Jongin’s apartment. His heart twitches sadly however, when he sees the state his boyfriend is in.

Jongin’s feet are up on the couch and his legs are folded, his head and arms on his knees and he’s asleep. Kyungsoo walks carefully and slips past to his bedroom, grabs a blanket, and walks right back.

He maneuvers himself so he’s sprawled on Jongin’s lap and Jongin’s head is on his back, the blanket around them protecting them from the frigid temperature.

He falls asleep to the soft breaths of his boyfriend warming up his cold nape.

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

1 year later

 

 

Jongin’s had enough of Kyungsoo’s lies.

 

Heaven knows how patient a man Kim Jongin is. He never gets impatient during extra long queues in the supermarket, or of abusive line-cutters in every movie premiere he’s attended. He’s okay with a two-week waiting period for the arrival of his overseas packages, or his take out bucket of chicken arriving a little later than what the food chain promised. However, that doesn’t mean he’s a saint. He still gets mad; and that extra thick line of patience is getting thinner day by day because of a certain someone.

Do Kyungsoo is Jongin’s biggest patience tester. The little man is his one and only love, but he’s a handful. Kyungsoo rarely shows up on time on their dates, he’s stood up on Jongin about 6 times for the past year; he always has excuses when Jongin tries to invite himself in on his apartment and he tends to forget a lot of important dates. Plus he never, never answers Jongin back whenever he says the 3 sacred words.

 

 

It’s already a year since they started dating and Kyungsoo is still on his escapades with Chanyeol, still indecisive and still breaking Jongin’s heart. Jongin finally loses every inch of his patience however, when Kyungsoo forgets their anniversary.

Jongin stares at his wrist watch, a blaring 12:08pm on it, mocking him of his lover’s no-show. The restaurant’s manager walks up to him and says that they have to close up soon. He stands up and bows, saying that he’s sorry he made the reservation for nothing and just pays for the table and time he wasted and leaves in haste.

 

Jongin slams the door hard enough for the whole building to hear as he strides in his apartment angrily, tugging off his necktie and throwing it somewhere on the floor. He’s decided that he’s had enough of this, of being Kyungsoo’s plaything, of waiting for something that’s obviously never going to arrive. He’s going to leave, even just for a while. He’s tired of hurting and the lies and everything—he just needs a break.

He packs everything he thinks he’ll need for two weeks worth of vacation in a flurry of movements, clothes and trinkets thrown haphazardly in a big suitcase. A little while after the adrenaline rush of wanting to leave and packing hurriedly left his body, he finally sat down to calm himself and just breathe. When his mind is clear enough, he thought of sending a short text to Sehun first, saying that he would take a two-week leave from work for a while, and that they shouldn’t worry because he’ll just go somewhere important.

With work covered up, he only has Kyungsoo to think of (because it’s always about Kyungsoo) and made a messy note, sticking it up on the fridge for him to see.

 

Jongin just hopes that two weeks of him disappearing is enough for Kyungsoo to decide who he wants to be with, because no one can have the best of both worlds, there can only be one.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo’s keying in on Jongin’s apartment on the 14th, he was a day late for his and Jongin’s anniversary—but he thinks its okay, he has a legit excuse anyway.

Kyungsoo’s voice is cheery as he calls for Jongin from where he’s toeing his shoes off by the door. “Jongin? Babe I’m sorry I wasn’t able to show up last night, but I have a perfectly good reason why.”

His grin is wide as he saunters on to the living room only to find Jongin’s clothes dropped messily all over the floor, his bedroom door is open and his closets are missing half a chunk of his clothes.

Kyungsoo’s heart beat started to quicken as the scene in front of him started to sink in. Jongin’s left him, he’s gone.

He’s biting hard on his lower lip as he tries to keep himself together, looking around for clues as to where Jongin might be. He might just be visiting his family for a while, or just went out to donate his clothes for charity— or so Kyungsoo convinces himself.

He’s at the kitchen when he notices a neon green note on the fridge held up by a pororo refrigerator magnet.

The angry scrawl on top of it is undeniably his boyfriends’.

Do Kyungsoo,

                Make up your mind, will you? I am tired of this game where I wait and wait for you to belong to me completely when all I’ve ever gotten in return is your lies. Have you ever even loved me?

                I am a patient man, you know that well enough, but my patience isn’t endless, and you’ve just reached its limit with that stunt you pulled on me last night.

                Since you’ve disappeared on me last night, on the day of our anniversary, I will disappear on you too, for two weeks. Don’t come looking for me.

I hope that when I comeback, you’d have sorted out your feelings.

                                                                                                                                                                Your Kim Jongin.

 

 

Kyungsoo loses it and slumps on the floor, his tears flowing down endlessly as the note crumples in his hands. Of course he has an answer, he has all this time, and just waited for the right time to tell it to him—but it seems like he was a day too late.

Kyungsoo’s chest heaves and heaves and his hands shakily find their way to the little square box in his pocket, weighing heavily than it should, as he takes it out and stares on it with as much vigor as his fuzzy vision could.

He repeats the words he practiced in his apartment last night before going to bed, thinking that having it the day after their anniversary was even better than having it on the same day. ‘Will you marry me, Kim Jongin?’

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo, in all honesty, stopped fooling around with Chanyeol 3 months back. The latter discovered his and Jongin’s picture in his wallet, and the giant put two and two together in a confrontation they had later that day.

“You’re dating Jongin, aren’t you,” is what Chanyeol says the minute he sets foot in his apartment.

“I,uh—“ is his intelligent response, blinking back dumbly as Chanyeol stares at him heavily.

“Y-yeah.”

“I figured that much. Kyungsoo, you can’t keep doing this to him. Jongin is a patient man, and men aren’t perfect—their patience still runs out no matter how far they can stretch it. And I know you’re not in love with me, Kyungsoo. If the way you sigh and stare at your phone whenever you’re with me is any indication that you’re in love with him and not me, then nothing is.”

Kyungsoo closed his mouth and stared at the floor, fidgeting. The guilt all washed over him in big waves, hitting him in all the places where it hurt the most and it’s drowning him to the point that he couldn’t breathe anymore.

Chanyeol disrupted the silence with his solemn tone. “I’m leaving this week anyway; I’m going back to the States. Fix whatever needs fixing.”

He grabbed his coat and stopped in front of Kyungsoo’s shaking form, unable to help himself and pressed a warm kiss on his forehead.

That was their silent goodbye and surprisingly, to Kyungsoo, he didn’t feel any form of longing for Chanyeol when he left and walked out of his life for good.

From then on Kyungsoo knew who he loved in the first place, who he loved from the start. He just got sidetracked because of an old flame, but he knows for sure who he seems himself with in the future.

He spent the next 3 months pretending to be around Chanyeol when in fact he’s been working odd jobs during the day to buy the perfect ring for his perfect man.

He’s treated him badly for the past few months, and he’s going to make it up to him with a promise he’s bound to keep for the rest of their lives.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin placed his luggage beside the door before keying in and twisting the knob. His heart is all sorts of crazy right now, and he doesn’t know what to think of what’ll happen next. Will Kyungsoo pick me? Will he stay? Did he even bother to come here while I was away?

 

His thoughts are put to a halt however when he sees Kyungsoo’s sneakers on his door. His response is automatic as he voices out a “Kyungsoo?” before he could even stop himself.

He carries his luggage on his right hand and he flicks the light switch on with his left, wrinkling his nose as he whiffs a scent of something stale in the air.

His luggage drops to the floor when he caught sight of Kyungsoo slumped all over his coffee table, looking dead.

“Kyungsoo!” He rushes to his lover’s side and immediately feels him for any sign of life, relieved when he still feels warm to the touch, albeit a little too warm.

Kyungsoo stirs from the movement and groggily moves his head up to look at the source of his disturbance.

Jongin lets out a loud gasp as he sees Kyungsoo’s face. He’s gotten even paler than he used to look, and a tad thinner, too. His cheekbones are jutting out and the bags under his eyes are an unattractive shade of purple. His eyes are bloodshot and extremely puffy. His lips are chaffed and his hair is greasy and he smells like he hasn’t showered in days; but Jongin hugs him all the same.

“J-Jongin,” Kyungsoo’s voice is weak and soft, and Jongin’s heart clenches because what happened here?

Kyungsoo tries to hug Jongin just as tight but he doesn’t have the energy to, and ends up just leaning his entire weight on Jongin (which, due to present circumstances weigh as light as a feather) and the latter presses kisses on his neck.

“J-Jongin, I can—I can e-explain—the day—“ Jongin shushes him however and wraps his arms around him to lift him up and bring him over to his bedroom.

“Later Kyungsoo, you’re sick. You need to rest first, I’m here now.” And Kyungsoo uses his remaining energy to shed a tear at the strong emotion hidden underneath Jongin’s words. I’m here now, I won’t leave you again.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo wakes up about 5 hours later to the sound of pans clacking and the smell of chicken soup—out of a can. He’s still weak so he doesn’t even try to move; just sitting there limply and waiting for his prince charming to come in and save him.

Jongin doesn’t fail him and reappears minutes later, carrying a tray with soup on it. “Oh Soo, you’re awake! Here, eat.”

Jongin sits in front of him and spoon feeds him. He can see the worry, love and concern swirling in his lovers eyes as he nurses him back to health, and he can’t help but lift a shaky hand up to rub off Jongin’s worry lines showing on his forehead.

Jongin looks up and stares cross-eyed at Kyungsoo’s sickly pale hand and chuckles, softly removing Kyungsoo’s hand and interlacing it with his.

Jongin smiles the heartwarming smile Kyungsoo loves so much (but is afraid to admit before) that he loses it and blurts out the words Jongin’s been dying to hear since day one.

“I love you.”

Jongin’s smile falls and his eyes widen, the tray on his lap teetering dangerously as his grip loosens on it.

Kyungsoo swallows back the lump on his throat and the tears threatening to escape as he makes his voice louder this time. “I said I love you. Kim Jongin, I love you.”

Jongin looks like he’s on the verge of tears when he sets the tray on his bedside table and envelops Kyungsoo in a warm hug. His frame is shaking as he buries his face on Kyungsoo’s neck, and Kyungsoo is in a similar state, body still quivering from fatigue and the various emotions he’s feeling at the moment. “Finally,” Jongin whispers and Kyungsoo feels his heart soar and get punched at the same time. Finally.

 

 

 

When it’s time for bed and they’re both full and cleaned up, Jongin climbs in next to Kyungsoo, his hands automatically going over his waist, pulling him in close to his body. Jongin nuzzles the top of Kyungsoo’s head with his nose, breathing in the scent he’s loved so much and will continue to love in the days to come. Kyungsoo’s hands overlap with his and he’s too entranced with how Kyungsoo smells to notice that Kyungsoo has been trying to talk to him for the past 5 minutes.

Its when Kyungsoo nudges his tummy with his elbow that he snaps out of it and chuckles lightly, bringing Kyungsoo’s body to him even closer. “I’m sorry babe, what was it again?”

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath. “I said Marry me. Marry me, Kim Jongin.”

 

“What?” Jongin stared at the top of his lover’s head like it was full of lice and waited for him to turn around.

Eventually he did, albeit with much difficulty, and stared straight into those brown orbs he’s grown to love.

“Jongin, I have something to tell you. I’ve lost contact with Chanyeol almost 4 months ago. Since then, I’ve realized that it’s you I want, and not him. The succeeding months after that with me ‘disappearing’ to be with Chanyeol, was actually me getting a day job to buy you—“ he paused, turned around and reached into the pocket of his pants and pulled out the little blue box, opening it and presenting its’ contents to his boyfriend. “—this ring, because I love you, and I only see myself with you in the future. I know I wasn’t the best boyfriend and all I ever did was break your heart, cause you pain, and outright not take care of someone that’s worth three times my affection and more. I want to make you mine forever and make you happy for the rest of our lives. I belong to you and only you, and as you are to me. Then, will you marry me, Kim Jongin? Will you accept this sorry excuse of a person as your husband, till death do us part?” His hands and voice was shaking now, and Jongin’s already silently tearing up.

He chokes out a yes and hugs his boyfriend tight enough to express every ounce of love he has, still has for him.

“Yes, baby. YES! I love you so much Do Kyungsoo. I’d love to be your husband,”

Jongin pecked his fiancé’s lips over and over, earning a giggle from him.

“Wait, Jongin. One more thing.” He stopped his boyfriend’s ministrations on him by placing his finger over his lips.

“An whushes zhet?” Jongin spoke against his boyfriends fingers.

He chuckled and took his finger away as he grabbed Jongin’s palm instead and placed the ring on it. “The rings were delivered late. I had them personalized. Look,” he then closed Jongin’s fingers around the ring and brought the palm closer to its owner.

Jongin’s eyes shone as he stared at the ring in earnest, flipping it over until the light caught on its inside.

There, engraved on the flipside of the ring, is their initials—and what seems to be his birthday and their supposed wedding anniversary.

DKS+KJI- 4-14

 

“I thought it would be romantic if our wedding day would fall on the 14th, y’know? Like, when its January then we could celebrate it at the same time with your birthday, or if it’s a February we could celebrate it on Valentines! Cute, right?”

Jongin just snorts at how adorably ridiculous his boyfriend—no,his fiancé, is being right now.

 

 

 

 

They say good things come to those who wait; and indeed, Jongin is a living, breathing example. Everything he’s waited patiently for a long time has now finally come at him all at once. And as he gazes at Kyungsoo’s sparkling and loved-filled eyes saying those three words he’s been dying to hear since he asked him out years ago, he thinks, finally, finally, that he, Kim Jongin, known as a very patient man, is now also the happiest man alive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--

This is horribly, horribly plot-less. Omg. This wasn’t even supposed to reach the almost 5k mark. This was a drabble that evolved into this—this story wrote itself istg. This is just pure fluff-angst with no working plot whatsoever. I’m sorry for any grammar mistakes and plot holes I was too lazy to fix. TuT